One more Smart Furnace®

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: One more Smart Furnace®

Post by siggboy »

kiguigui wrote:Hey Dude!,

great set-up! :) but it seems, the blueprint string of the controller is broken. Killrogs crashes the actual session an blueprint string says the string is not a valid format. Can you refresh the blueprint string in your posts? :P
You need the Blueprint String mod to load the strings. KBM is not compatible, it does use a different blueprint string format.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

kiguigui
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kiguigui »

siggboy wrote:

great set-up! :) but it seems, the blueprint string of the controller is broken. Killrogs crashes the actual session an blueprint string says the string is not a valid format. Can you refresh the blueprint string in your posts? :P
You need the Blueprint String mod to load the strings. KBM is not compatible, it does use a different blueprint string format.
Do you mean the mod made by DaveMcW? Unfortunately it says "That is not a Blueprint string" :|

hansinator
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hansinator »

kiguigui wrote:
siggboy wrote:

Do you mean the mod made by DaveMcW? Unfortunately it says "That is not a Blueprint string" :|
I've got the same issue.. :/

Edit:
I've decompressed the blueprint strings by hand and found that the Lua data structure that comes out is different from other blueprints. It starts with

Code: Select all

_={type="blueprint",data={entities=
assigning the entity set to a data field. Other blueprints strings have no data field. There the the entity set is located directly in the _ variable. I've fixed it and turned it into blueprint strings again. This time they do work :-)

Here they are:
Blueprint Smart Furnace Controller
Blueprint Smart Furnace Block
enjoy!

Edit2:
DaveMcW outlines in his mod's source that a blueprint should look like this:

Code: Select all

local blueprint_table = {
	entities = blueprint.get_blueprint_entities(),
	tiles = blueprint.get_blueprint_tiles(),
	icons = blueprint.blueprint_icons,
	name = blueprint.label,
	myfield = "Add some extra fields if you want",
}
There is no type and data field.. I wonder how XKnight exported his blueprints.. They do not seem to conform to any blueprint import/export format.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

siggboy wrote:I don't think that this Smart Furnace is supposed to be a "practical" solution for general use, whatever that even means in a game such as this.
Probably true... Smart Furnaces maybe aren't a practical solution and that it was possible to implement them easily before 0.13 came out was merely a coincidence resulting out of the favorable inserter stack size. Well I can live with only doing Iron Ore and Copper Ore in one setup... it's not the end of the world.
siggboy wrote:Of course, if the original design is so complex that you could not possibly wrap your head around it, then simply using it without actually understanding it is not really satisfying at all -- and for much the same reason as you I wouldn't use such designs in my maps, unless I actually reverse engineered them to my satisfaction.
Yeah, I really have problems digesting and understanding all the inner workings of XKnight's solution, which become quite complex quite fast after dealing with all the edge cases. So that's a dealbreaker for me because as you said... copy&pasting things without understanding them is not really satisfying.
siggboy wrote:Let me finish by saying that not everybody thinks like you. Quite a few people took my train controller and were more than happy when they made it work on their maps, and they never even asked for in-depth explanations in order to understand the circuit. That would not have worked for me, but apparently not everybody thinks like we do.
Also I get that not everyone thinks like me and that a lot of people take a setup from the forum as it is and never ask why or how it is actually working. But you are right... I can't do that myself because I actually want to understand what I'm doing there... it's part of my "fun process".
siggboy wrote:Somebody even asked why I don't turn the thing into a mod, basically solving the problem in a "cheap" way (that would be possible for a Smart Furnace, too, I guess).
Actually I think that implementing stuff this complex as a mod would be much easier for me because Lua is easier to understand and much more intuitive than the circuit network in the game is because of how barebone and fundamental the circuit network is compared to a programming/scripting language. So for things that reach a certain circuit network complexity I just think "Screw it" and I'd rather write a mod because there I at least know what I'm doing.

Though I never have written a Mod for Factorio, I wrote some for other games that also use Lua as their scripting/modding language. Hypothetically I could mod Factorio if I wanted to but I don't feel like fiddling with the mod support of a game while it is still in development... one update may cause everything to break and I ain't got the motivation or endurance to keep it up-to-date during the entire development stage of the vanilla game. So maybe I'll look into it when 1.0 is out, but it's more than likely that they will continue developing an Addon which then again might break everything again. Probably until then some other people will have written a mod to deal with certain aspects of the game that are currently lacking.
siggboy wrote:
MeduSalem wrote:It's like the people who watch other people play games on Twitch or Youtube... what's the point in that?
Two reasons, mainly:

1. Learn to become better at a game; it's very useful to watch players who are good at Dota, Heroes of the Storm, League of Legends, Hearthstone and so on. Many of these games are way too difficult to become really good at them without some guidance (unless you're a natural talent or a pro who spends most of your time in the game, and even the pros have teachers who help them improve).

2. Pure entertainment; good commentary and a personality are required on the part of the streamer/YouTuber in this case, of course. The game can become quite a background activity in some cases.

It could also be compared to watch any sport, really. I like to watch Snooker and Tennis, and I'm not proficient in any of these. It's not that different with competitive computer games ("e-sports").
Ah well then... I rather read guides if I really need the help, or go onto a forum to look at other people's creations and take some inspiration. But maybe that's because I'm rather old fashioned.

Also I used to watch certain major e-Sports events back in the Q3A/UT99 days back when I was involved in clan wars myself... but nowadays I don't... but maybe that's because I stopped playing FPS games a long time ago because I'm well past the days where I used to be good at them. Also the communities are all pretty much dead already as people moved on with their lives. I can't really get myself into the modern e-Sports communities anymore...

Return to “Combinator Creations”