0.13 Rainbow Belts and other madness

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 0.13 Rainbow Belts and other madness

Post by BlakeMW »

andywankenobi wrote:Could this sort of system be used for sparse ammo belt loops? I've been messing with various ways to keep a set amount of ammo on the belt but I haven't yet found a solution that works.
Yes it could. I normally want my ammo loops to be saturated, but this would definitely permit having a sparse ammo belt.

Note that there are also various ways to throttle a belt. Try wiring two belts in a row together, set the first belt to "enabled: ammo = 0" and the second to "read contents: hold"
throughput limiter.jpg
throughput limiter.jpg (32.2 KiB) Viewed 7209 times
This setup only lets one item through at a time (or two if there are items on both lanes). You can even wire up additional reader belts to further increase the space between items. Good if you want to make sure that only one item enters at once

Prymal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Prymal »

siggboy wrote:I'm also violently opposed to underground belt interleaving, just because it's ugly and cheesy. It only "works" if you use different belt colors, which makes it a poster child case of meta-gaming (bending the rules). If a particularly clever belt layout uses that, it does not count for the record.
The way I like to think about it is this: With the faster speeds, yet still covering the same underground difference; I consider the different colors to go to different depths. They do not collide because the reds are deeper than yellows, and blues deeper than reds. In any event, play how you like, just have fun eh.

dragontamer5788
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dragontamer5788 »

I've been trying to accomplish something similar except as a general base design. On the one hand, I could just use logistic bots... on the other hand... where's the fun in that? My design iterations are towards a regular, expandable system, a real-life hardware analogue would be something like an CPLD or FPGA.

Sorry for diverging into a totally different topic. I've got several factorio designs but all of them are flawed so I don't feel like sharing. Instead, I'm sharing my real-world inspiration.

In any case: a CPLD / FPGA in real life is a very regular square structure, with programmable interconnects. If "rainbow belts" connected "assembly-blocks" together, then a very logical and regular design could be made (similar to the "Modular Bus", except using fewer belts "rainbow style" like in your example).

Unfortunately, the more and more I understand the patterns of items in this game (ie: the relationship between Inserter -> Fast Inserter -> Stack Inserter -> Stack Filter Inserter), the less and less a "modular factory" seems useful to me. Still, a regular square structure would be an interesting base architecture...

Gertibrumm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gertibrumm »

Although you just missed the topic by 99%, what I thought FPGAs are good at is switching the logic and making relatively simple logic parallel without outsourcing tasks to various dedicated chips.

A rainbow belt is a more elegant and configurable single bus system compared to
an actualy programmable and flexible factory: (advertisement) viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29560 which might satisfy your needs of square structured architecture ;)

NoQ
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NoQ »

Guys, did you ever see circular belts with splitter input, such as the rainbow belts, locking up when full (stop rotating)? Like, there's a continuous input to both sides of the splitter, and continuous unused output of the splitter, and the splitter thinks it needs to do nothing, versus passing the circle around.

Because rotating the rainbow belt is essential (otherwise it may occur that no item is anywhere near the machine it needs, even though items are present on the belt), i can imagine this leading to an unlikely but possible deadlock (higher chances with more item kinds on the belt).

Upd: yep, i'm seeing my labs deadlock. Need some help, because the behavior of the splitter sounds natural, what am i doing wrong?><
screenshot
Attachments
lock.zip
A sandbox game to reproduce a circular belt's locking situation. Load and turn on the power switch.
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 132 times

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

NoQ wrote:Upd: yep, i'm seeing my labs deadlock. Need some help, because the behavior of the splitter sounds natural, what am i doing wrong?><
screenshot
You just need to keep belt under certain capacity. Use some logic to stop all inputs once the belt is full enough.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

NoQ wrote:Guys, did you ever see circular belts with splitter input, such as the rainbow belts, locking up when full (stop rotating)? Like, there's a continuous input to both sides of the splitter, and continuous unused output of the splitter, and the splitter thinks it needs to do nothing, versus passing the circle around.

Because rotating the rainbow belt is essential (otherwise it may occur that no item is anywhere near the machine it needs, even though items are present on the belt), i can imagine this leading to an unlikely but possible deadlock (higher chances with more item kinds on the belt).

Upd: yep, i'm seeing my labs deadlock. Need some help, because the behavior of the splitter sounds natural, what am i doing wrong?><
There are some tricks to prevent Rainbow Belts from locking:
  • The belt measuring and the belt blocking flow should have identical travel time of items to the splitter merging into the circle.
  • Include measuring at the belts before/after the ideal measurement spot.
  • Split the Belt at one spot so items can always flow. Ideally where you measure.
2017-01-13-18-49-34-3333624.jpg
2017-01-13-18-49-34-3333624.jpg (75.3 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
I'm using sci pack = 0 as condition for adding more

NoQ
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NoQ »

There are some tricks to prevent Rainbow Belts from locking:
  • The belt measuring and the belt blocking flow should have identical travel time of items to the splitter merging into the circle.
  • Include measuring at the belts before/after the ideal measurement spot.
  • Split the Belt at one spot so items can always flow. Ideally where you measure.
Thanks, this works!
You just need to keep belt under certain capacity. Use some logic to stop all inputs once the belt is full enough.
Couldn't get this one to work though, without significant (and therefore probably unintended) amount of complexity. The question's answered though :)

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

NoQ wrote:
Couldn't get this one to work though, without significant (and therefore probably unintended) amount of complexity. The question's answered though :)
If you want to see some old school solutions to this, search forum or reddit for "passive logistical loop". Maybe obsolete with circuits on belts these days, but was cool long ago. ;)

huliosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by huliosh »

Very useful, thank you.

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

I'm trying a few adjustments to try to get seven types on a belt. I'll know soon if it works. I'm pretty sure it will. (Mathematically it should be fine.)
Attachments
Rainbow prepped for the next three...
Rainbow prepped for the next three...
Factorio 0.15.2 4_26_2017 7_42_35 PM.png (4.64 MiB) Viewed 6252 times

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

Haha! Clever! I like how you load from both sides instead of splitting.

galen_harvell
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by galen_harvell »

Oh god, please post the string for this!

amz3
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by amz3 »

galen_harvell wrote:Oh god, please post the string for this!
+1

pieppiep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pieppiep »

amz3 wrote:
galen_harvell wrote:Oh god, please post the string for this!
+1
It's not really hard to build it yourself :P
The belt going round should be red to reach all science labs.
The 'input'belt-piece has enable/disable on science pack = 0, and the belt pieces after that are 2 that are read belt contents hold.
The blueprintstring from how I copy this design is this,
blueprint

Return to “Combinator Creations”