Smart Furnace - load-balanced, demand-based, and tileable

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Smart Furnace - load-balanced, demand-based, and tileable

Post by MeduSalem »

Neotix wrote:AFAIK Stack Inserters can grab 12 items at once and normal inserter can grab 3 (botch fully upgraded). When both work simultaneously we get 15 stack bonus that can be used for steel production. For stone we can use only stack inserter with 12 stack bonus.

On weekend I will try to build smart furnace based on this idea.
Weird... In 0.13.6 the Stack Inserters grab 13 items when fully upgraded... Don't know why, but they definitely grab 13 (1 base + 12 bonus) and not 12. Maybe 0.13.6 has changed the stack size once more...

Otherwise I would have tried the 12+3=15 combination for Steel (albeit quite the contraption compared to how easy it was back in 0.12) and also used the Stack Inserter for Stone.
inserter bonus.png
inserter bonus.png (251.09 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
Last edited by MeduSalem on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

That sux ;/
To be honest I feel like devs with v0.13 decided that all in v0.12 was too easy so they fucked up everything. For me it's the most disappointing update so far.
Last edited by Neotix on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Neotix wrote:That sux ;/
To be honest I feel like devs with v0.13 decided that all in v.12 was too easy so they fucked up everything. For me it's the most disappointing update so far.
Well... truer words haven't been spoken... relating to the "0.12 was too easy so they fucked up everything".

That said I am not completely disappointed about 0.13. In comparison I personally found 0.12 a bit disappointing due to how the circuit network stuff was implemented only half-assed back then and how we had to wait almost another year for that to get "fixed" and still some items lack the connection. I for example miss the ability to switch Beacons on/off on signal.

So when it comes to smart furnaces (or smart factories eventually when they ever get to implement recipe switching on circuit network signal), they will have to fix the residual item issue somehow. Thinking more about it an option to manually override the Stack Bonus on a per inserter basis would only fix 1-resource-item-recipes anyways, and on the long term it wouldn't help with recipes requiring multiple resources.

Since a change/addition this dramatic won't happen before 0.14 or even 0.15 I guess in the meantime we can write smart furnaces including Steel/Stone off. It may not be completely impossible but the contraptions necessary to overcome the stack bonus effects defeat the purpose. Time to set up a dedicated spot for Steel... altough I am doing it only reluctantly.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

I almost build smart furnace but encounter one problem. I need combinators contraption that will store input signal and can be updated only when inserters don't hold any item.
It's crucial because if input will change while any inserter hold item then it will ruin the setup.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

XKnight wrote:
Neotix wrote:XKnight can i ask for blueprint or explanation because i'm staring on it for a while and have no idea what you did.
Sure, why not.
blueprint
*Edit: fixed const array in blueprint
Hey XKnight, may I ask if you could update the blueprint string back from page 2 (the load balancing thingy) to 0.13? Or anyone else who still has this setup and already moved over to 0.13?

Because if I load that string in 0.13 basically all the constant combinators are empty and I have no clue what values should go where...

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

MeduSalem wrote: Hey XKnight, may I ask if you could update the blueprint string back from page 2 (the load balancing thingy) to 0.13? Or anyone else who still has this setup and already moved over to 0.13?
Updated to 0.13.8.
Video
Blueprint

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

XKnight wrote:Updated to 0.13.8.

[...]
Awesome, thanks! Didn't expect it that fast. :D

Even with an updated coder using virtual signals instead of item signals... nice.

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

Just a quick thought to throw in to see if anyone can poke holes in my premise:

Several comments have been made about stack sizes and inability to generate a lock-free smart furnace as a consequence. If the Devs added furnaces into the circuit network, would we then be able to work around the issue?

It seems to me that if we could pull a signal off a furnace showing its current recipe, combinators (or possibly just filter inserters) could be programmed accordingly, and we could fix the locking issue. I have a feeling that it might not be too hard to implement the code either, given that tanks were recently added in a similar way...

khoul
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by khoul »

Hey guys, first post here :D .

NOTE: This was tested with stack size 3, 4 and 5.
I think i found a solution for the stack size problem, the "issue" is that the inserters need to take the items from a belt, does not work from a chest, AND, they can't be already connected to a circuit network. (read below)
Stack size reset.png
Stack size reset.png (747.23 KiB) Viewed 3964 times
The trick is to set the circuit condition [EVERYTHING=0 and READ HAND CONTENTS on HOLD ](as far as i tested it, the PULSE option works as well)
The inserter will grab 1 item, and reset itself by dropping that item.

If you want to just hook up 1 inserter, simply connect it to a powerpole.
If you want to hook up more, you can link them together to each other (tested with 3 inserters linked by red wire).

I hope i was able to help..

Return to “Combinator Creations”