Tetris... in Factorio?

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
piriform
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Tetris... in Factorio?

Post by piriform »

It's a fictional scenario where certain types of computation have an unfortunate tendency to break through the Other side. See Charles Stross.

stellatedHex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by stellatedHex »

Actually, I really wouldn't worry about it. It has been demonstrated that in specific contexts, including those in which robots sometimes fight giant malevolent bugs, computers can only breach extradimensional space if they are aesthetically sinister (Clevinger, 2009). Sinisterness is incredibly difficult to achieve with Factorio's industrial aesthetic, even using pipes.
Just, you know, make sure that you don't route any fluids near your complex combinatorics. Just to be on the safe side.
stellatedHexahedron wrote:I'm the kind of person who makes Conway's Game of Life in Factorio, but forgets what they are doing halfway through typing their username.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, now I think the whole article is art in it's best form. So I moved it to Fan Art, but left a link in Show my Creations. That removes also the Sticky, which is kind of OK, cause some people find, that there are already too much sticky in Show my Creations.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DisK
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

User Interface, block Generation, and color

Post by DisK »

XKnight wrote:
XKnight wrote:
DaveMcW wrote:I'm already working on this. ;)

The 7 colored lights in 0.13 will be perfect.

The main problem is getting player input, it is quite awkward without mods.
Challenge accepted.
Challenge partially completed:
1.png
animation.gif
Unfortunately rotation was not implemented, because I am tired and this challenge a little bit boring.
But maybe I will come back to this task tomorrow :)
in order to manipulate the blocks, one would place a material dependent on what action they wish the block to take, for instance
  • Left = Copper Plate
  • Right = Iron Plate
  • Drop = Steel
  • RotLeft = Copper Ore
  • RotRight = Iron Ore
the blocks can be randomly generated by a continuous loop of chests (one for each piece) and the first chest it the only one connected to the wiring. The connected chest will generate a block dependent on the item currently inside using decider combinators equal to the number of block configurations
additionally, the blocks could be generated with 2 arithmetic combinators and a decider combinator, the first combinator being a +1 combinator against itself, also connecting to the decider combinator, so that it can find the upper limit, then translate that to the 2nd arithmetic combinator which subtracts the generator number from itself

the color used would be dependent on the number or item in use to determine the block type

Incredible
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Incredible »

That would be wonderful! Already can feel excitement and see a lot of fun!

Ragnaman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ragnaman »

could you use such contraption for input ?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =826088745
|
| Mods: Greenhouse with modules
| Hobby artist (CAD) | Hobby coder | Lead Software Engineer | Employed
|

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

kovarex wrote: Cool, that is the reason there are 30 rows I guess :) (2^31 is the limit of the cominator numbers).
That's (2^31) -1, right? Bit 31 is the sign bit isn't it?

julius1701
Inserter
Inserter

Post by julius1701 »

Does anybody still got the Blueprint? If so it would be nice if you could send it to me

TheRangerLOL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheRangerLOL »

AlexTheNotsogreat wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:00 am
Things like this define sandbox games to me. Snakes and Ladders in Minecraft (Hypixel), A semi truck in KSP (Hazard-ish), and now Tetris in Factorio. What's next! :shock:
I want to turn my Factory into a Tamagochi :3
The one and only.

TYRBOGARLIK
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TYRBOGARLIK »

Does anybody still got the Blueprint? PLEASE give it to me

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

Slightly unrelated, but surprisingly no mention yet in this thread. There is a 2019 (0.17) multiplayer scenario where you build your factory on a game of tetris.
https://github.com/Refactorio/RedMew
Land tiles in the form of tetrominoes are generated when the player chooses to. but only some of the have ore, like real tetris you could move the falling tetrominoes to make full lines disappear. Totally wild gameplay, but somewhat too wonky to become popular enough to be repeatively hosted on the servers. Issue was communication between players, sending blocks down in places where a full lines wiped parts of the factory.
Attachments
tetris017.png
tetris017.png (193.15 KiB) Viewed 1446 times

Return to “Combinator Creations”