Combinator Contraptions

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
Dr. Walrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Combinator Contraptions

Post by Dr. Walrus »

Hi guys! I've recently learned how to build some cool and helpful devices with combinators. I've built clocks, digit displays, multiplexers, ways to detect if a mining drill is empty, train arrival detectors, and other useful contraptions to help around my base. You've all seen those builds before. I'm making this post to show off some of the combinator contraptions I've made so far that don't have much of a purpose.

In this first post I've included a selection of my inventions. Further down in the topic several other people have shown their own creations, asked questions about advanced circuit network use, and expert circuit network users (read "XKnight") have helped out players struggling with specific combinator contraption conundrums of their own. So read on and learn about the all helpful and unhelpful uses of combinators!

WARNING Since the 12.31 update I'm pretty sure these blueprint strings are broken. That is bad. However, the moderators have, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to stickify this topic. They have deemed this topic worthy, and it is my sacred duty to make sure these blueprint strings are accurate. So as soon as 0.13 is released I'll get around to fixing the blueprint strings and ensuring that these contraptions are compatible with any new combinator functions that are introduced. I the meantime I am slowly adding flowchart diagrams to all of my contraptions so that you can clearly see how they work and build them yourself however you like.

The Exponent Calculator
Have you ever needed to find out what exactly is 17^6 but don't want to be bothered with opening up the google calculator? Well now you know it's 24,137,569 thanks to the exponent calculator! This device takes two inputs: signal 0 and signal 1 and calculates the result of (signal 0) ^ (signal 1). Brag to all your friends when you show them the contents of your storage tanks cubed!
bLuEpRiNt StRiNg
FlowchaRt DiagRam
The Largest Item Finder
Sometimes we have a lot of items in storage and we just want to know which type of item we have the most of. Well I have built a contraption that solves that problem! The largest item finder receives an input of any number items and will output just the type of item that has the largest number of items, If you input 25 coal, 15 iron, and 200 lubricant into the largest item finder, it will correctly tell you that the 200 lube is the highest number. Genius! Now you'll never have to bother with looking at a wire holding your items which conveniently displays them from highest to lowest.

EDIT: After a little more testing with this one it has quite a few limitations. First it won't tell you anything if you input a signal with two or more items tied for the highest number. Also due to division limitations it often fails to determine the highest number when the inputs are close together. If you input 4 coal and 5 fish, the machine will not be able to tell which is bigger. It's the fish you IDIOT!
bLuEpRiNt StRiNg
The Factorio Factorial Calculator
The game is called Factorio, so why hasn't there been an easy way to calculate factorials in the game until now? This device takes a blue signal input and finds the value of its factorial. 6! = 720. Now you know! This one is especially useless because the highest you can calculate is 12! without going over the game's 32bit signed integer max value.
bLuEpRiNt StRiNg
FlowchaRt DiagRam
The Variable Signal Delayer 2.0
New and improved, the Variable Signal Delayer 2.0 takes the first tick of a signal coming in and outputs it after waiting a set number of ticks. The minimum delay is now 4 ticks (1 less than before), and the maximum delay is now 2,147,483,647 ticks, in case you want to input a signal and have it output in 414.25 days (I did the math). To adjust this you set the number of signal green in the constant combinator to the right to any number ≥4 which specifies the number of ticks the signal will be delayed. This version also sports 4 less combinators than before and can accept both positive and negative inputs.

Building this contraption is a little more involved. After the entire thing has been built, the combinator marked by the hazard concrete that is holding 1 green signal needs to be deconstructed. This combinator needs to be built for proper function because the decider combinator with Input: "Blue" <"Green" needs to be holding 3 signal blue for the Variable Signal Delayer 2.0 to function properly. Similarly the combinator that holds "≥4 Green" always needs to have at least 4 signal green or the whole thing will not work well.
Blueprint String
FlowchaRt DiagRam
Old Version
The Basic Encoder
This creation comes in two parts, the encoder and the decoder. The encoder takes any single signal that is less than 10M and outputs it as a large indecipherable number of signal blue. The decoder takes this large blue number and miraculously converts it back into the same type and amount of the original signal that was fed into the encoder. This is by far the simplest and least useful contraption I have posted here, but it is my hope for the future that it may form the basis of better and more useful contraptions designed by the factorians of tomorrow. Thank you.
encoder blueprint string
decoder blueprint string
The Pressure Plate Stopwatch
I am the proud creator and caretaker of the Pressure Plate mod. A mod which I built to give the player an easier way to directly control aspects of the circuit network. And yet I've done nothing with it. No grand factories that turn on with the flip of a switch, no logistic robot butlers that bring me my battle armor when I press the Jarvis button. Not even a PAX train that comes when I stand on the waiting platform. Well I say no more! The innovation starts tonight! And I will time how long it takes for me to make my smart factory with my brand new pressure plate stopwatch. Built specifically for the absent minded inventor, it's accurate and easy to use. Just stand on the green plate to start the timer, stand on the red plate to stop the timer, and stand on the blue plate to reset the timer. This contraption requires the Pressure Plate mod and is made much more user friendly by hooking the output up to a numeric display, which you can find several great examples of here.
blueprint stRing
FlowchaRt DiagRam

The Decimal Divider
I'm back with the most complicated and spectacular contraption yet! Are you tired of always working with integers? Do you dream of decimal points? Are you failing math class because you only have combinators to do your calculations and you get points off for rounding your answers? I have the solution to your life's petty problems. This contraption divides signal A by signal B and gives the result as signal C and a user configurable precision of decimal places as signal D. Doing math on this level has to be experienced to be believed. In the example above, we can see that 101/34 = 2.970. The constant combinator on the left in this example is holding a value of 1000 blue, which tells the contraption to calculate the answer to the thousandths place. This value can be set to any number divisible by 10 to give a precision up to 9 decimal points. The Decimal Divider can also handle inputs when signal B is larger than signal A. In those cases the result will only be the decimal points of signal D. Warning: do not use to divide by zero.

Unlike some of my other loop based math calculators, the Decimal Divider will always use a constant number of ticks to calculate an answer per a given level of precision. Also the loop tends to goof up upon being built or when changing the decimal place number. If this happens just feed a red signal into the input for 20 to 30 ticks.
Blueprint string
flowchart diagram
Feel free to post your own wacky combinator contraptions in this thread. I'd love to see all the other cool unusual combinator builds other people have made! I'm happy to explain how my contraptions work if anyone wants to know, and I love to take requests if you have an idea for what pointless devices I should build next!

Links to other people's contraptions:
XKnight's Signal Queue
XKnight's Signal Picker built for piriform
XKnight's Parallel larger Item Finder built for terror_gnom
XKnight's Same Signal Finder built for terror_gnom
piriform's Signal Time Sorter
piriform's Cheap Limited Multi Memory
Black Ice's computer (no blueprint)
DaveMcW's Signal ID Finder
terror_gnom's Empty Train Station Timer
Guu's Configurable Filter
kann_'s Almost Identical Configurable Filter
siggboy's Write Once Register
Jupiter's 24 Hour Clock (modded)
Please note that I (Dr. Walrus) don't know the limitations of any of these contraptions or what they are used for.
Last edited by Dr. Walrus on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 52 times in total.

piriform
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Combinator Contraptions

Post by piriform »

Nice! Glad that somebody else is thinking along those lines.
As for
Nobody asked for them!
No base needs them!
Don't be too sure about lack of need or how useful these contraptions may be.
I can see a use for the greatest item finder in balancing applications (say you want to transfer items that you have too much of etc)
Indeed while working on MKII I came across a similar requirement. It turns out that some of the instructions were much shorter than the clock cycle and were wasting time. The solution I chose was to reset the clock counter when the latest (and greatest) signal in the instruction completed.
Here's a picture ( the clock "skipper" is made with two deciders and a constant in the right half of the picture .)
clock.png
clock.png (190.17 KiB) Viewed 38426 times
Keep up the good work, cause you never know..

PS How does your "contraption" work anyway?

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

Very nice! Although I don't see any practical applications of the The Exponent Calculator, but I am sure you had lots of fun during creation this build.
Dr. Walrus wrote: Sometimes we have a lot of items in smart chests for storage and we just want to know which type of item we have the most of. Well I have built a contraption that solves that problem! The largest item finder receives an input of any number items and will output just the type of item that has the largest number of items, If you input 25 coal, 15 iron, and 200 lubricant into the largest item finder, it will correctly tell you that the 200 lubricant is the highest number. Genius! Now you'll never have to bother with looking at a wire holding your items which conveniently displays them from highest to lowest.
You won't believe, but yesterday I faced with almost the same problem: identifying the lowest number among several signals.
Unfortunately I have very strict restrictions for performance and combinators amount... so your build is not applicable in my task.

If you are interested and have some free time, you can find my current task bellow. Also, I will be very very grateful for any help :?
My task
Dr. Walrus wrote: The game is called Factorio, so why hasn't there been an easy way to calculate factorials in the game until now. This device takes a blue signal input and finds the value of its factorial. 6! = 720. Now you know! This one is especially useless because the highest you can calculate is 12! without going over the game's 32bit signed integer max value.
At least for this task an array with predifined values will be simpler and more effective.

Dr. Walrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dr. Walrus »

XKnight wrote:
Dr. Walrus wrote: The game is called Factorio, so why hasn't there been an easy way to calculate factorials in the game until now. This device takes a blue signal input and finds the value of its factorial. 6! = 720. Now you know! This one is especially useless because the highest you can calculate is 12! without going over the game's 32bit signed integer max value.
At least for this task an array with predifined values will be simpler and more effective.
Yes it would! But it would not actually be calculating the factorial therefore it would not be as fun to build :lol:

Ill give an in depth explanation of how the Largest Item Finder works in a few hours when I've got time.

piriform
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by piriform »

Would this do (the Task)?
Attachments
min.jpg
min.jpg (38.43 KiB) Viewed 38316 times

Dr. Walrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dr. Walrus »

piriform wrote:Would this do (the Task)?
That's close but not quite it. It's actually really weird having a combinator with if ANYTHING as a condition and exporting the input count as a set signal. To eveluate the ANYTHING condition the combinator cycles through each signal in the internal game order and outputs the amount of the first signal it encounters that satisfies its condition. In your example, signal A is first in the game's order of the four signals you sent that combinator, so the combinator checks that signal first. It satisfies the >0 condition, so the combinator outputs the amount of signal A it received as signal blue and disregards the rest of its input.

Now the grand reveal of the inner workings of the largest item finder!
The basis of how it works is centered around these 5 combinators. The rest of the combinators in the finished contraption are just for timing, looping the output back to the input, and a memory cell to remember the previous output until the loop has calculated the largest item again. In fact, combinators 4 and 5 in this setup are just for getting the correct timing as well.
  • Combinator 0: Just holds the items to be evaluated.
  • Combinator 1: For each item that it receives that is greater than 0, it outputs 1 blue signal. In the pictures it is receiving 7 different items, so it is outputting 7 blue signals.
  • Combinator 2: Its inputs are the blue signal from combinator 1 and the items to be evaluated which have been delayed by 1 tick by going through combinator 4. It divides each signal it receives by the amount of blue it receives and outputs them as a blue signal, which combines them into a close estimate of the average value of the signals in combinator 0. (This actually reveals a limitation of the device because it does not work on lots of small signals. If you input 3 iron ore, 2 fish, and 2 copper ore it will fail to find the largest item due to the way division works. A solution that works in more cases would multiply all input signals by 10 or 100 in in order to have this division step give a more accurate result. Or it would sum the items before dividing by blue.)
  • Combinator 6: If we ignore division rounding problems, the output from combinator 2 is actually 1 greater than the average because it includes the blue signal divided by itself. This constant combinator adds -1 to the blue signal output by combinator 2 to correct this without adding an extra step.
  • Combinator 3: This combinator receives the average produced by combinator 2 and the items to be evaluated which have been delayed by 2 ticks by going through combinators 4 and 5. It checks each item and outputs it only if it's amount is greater than the amount of blue signal it receives. (This reveals another limitation. If there are only 2 signals received and they have the same amount, then neither will be output because they are both equal to the average.)

This setup as a whole takes a group of items and sends out only those that are above the average, resulting in a smaller group with of items with a higher average. The largest item finder as a whole loops the output of this setup back to the input, where it is evaluated again and again until there is only 1 signal left, which is always the largest item.
XKnight wrote:Unfortunately I have very strict restrictions for performance and combinators amount... so your build is not applicable in my task.
The contraptions I have here unfortunately all rely on looping the output back to the input, and so they all take a a variable amount of ticks to complete their calculations. I actually first built the exponent calculator to calculate 10^x in order to get the value of a specific digit from a 10 digit binary number for a digit display. I ended up just using a lookup array with predefined values because it was a lot smaller and took 2 ticks every time.

Other than taking forever and looping your items through a version of this setup a set number of times to ensure a result, or using 149 combinators in a giant march madness bracket, I'm not quite sure how to even get this to run in a set number of ticks. Although you can at least measure the number of ticks it takes to run by counting the number of times it loops and then using that number to delay your other signals to match by using a contraption that delays a signal by a user specified amount. And that still wouldn't help if the input signal could be changing every tick. You've presented quite a tough challenge XKnight and I will think about how to solve it. Until then you've given me a good idea for what my next wacky contraption is going to be! 8-)

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

Small improvement for your design: we can reduce cycle length from 3 ticks down to 2 ticks:
1.png
1.png (475.75 KiB) Viewed 38279 times
Unfolded loop:
2.png
2.png (241.3 KiB) Viewed 38279 times
Dr. Walrus wrote: Other than taking forever and looping your items through a version of this setup a set number of times to ensure a result, or using 149 combinators in a giant march madness bracket, I'm not quite sure how to even get this to run in a set number of ticks.
149 combinators is not acceptable at all, this value is even bigger than the whole main system.
Dr. Walrus wrote: Although you can at least measure the number of ticks it takes to run by counting the number of times it loops and then using that number to delay your other signals to match by using a contraption that delays a signal by a user specified amount.
Breaking test for your idea is next sequence: 0, -1, -5, -18, -71, -337, -1934, -13114, -102555 ...
Next input will take 9 cycles (9*2 = 18 ticks minimum) which is also not acceptable: 102556, 102555, 102551, 102538, 102485, 102219, 100622, 89442, 1

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

Although previous challange was not completed, I am not sure that it has any reliable solution.
Fortunately I found another task which can be used instead of "The Largest Item Finder" for my purposes.
MY TASK 2
Last edited by XKnight on Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Walrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dr. Walrus »

XKnight wrote:Although previous challange was not completed, I am not sure that it has any reliable solution.
Fortunately I found another task which can be used instead of "The Largest Item Finder" for my purposes.
MY TASK 2
Do you mean that you will input a group of signals and output them one at a time in the game's predetermined item order? Because I think that is fairly doable thanks to the input (ANYTHING)>0 output item count (blue signal) combinator that piriform showed us. The order goes starting with the virtual signal numbers, then letters, then colors, then fluids, then logistics items, etc. It's doable if they all have an individual value, because you can find the value of the first signal (which will be Signal 0) and then output each item that has that value (which will only be signal 0), erase it from the list, and start again. Getting it down to one tick between each output might be hard but not impossible. Also would the signals all be positive?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

XKnight wrote:
MY TASK 2
That is pretty easy.

Set up 2 memory cells, 1 with all signals, 1 with all negative signals (each * -1).

Each tick, use the ANY signal to pick one signal from each memory cell. Then feed it to the opposite memory cell to delete it. Also feed it to the opposite ANY combinator to avoid any delays.

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

DaveMcW wrote: That is pretty easy.

Set up 2 memory cells, 1 with all signals, 1 with all negative signals (each * -1).

Each tick, use the ANY signal to pick one signal from each memory cell. Then feed it to the opposite memory cell to delete it. Also feed it to the opposite ANY combinator to avoid any delays.
Small problem... If you are using ANY signal you should specify output signal type, and without correct type you won't be able to sum signal with opposite memory cell. Am I missing something?
1.png
1.png (246.05 KiB) Viewed 31237 times
Dr. Walrus wrote: Getting it down to one tick between each output might be hard but not impossible.
That's why this is a challenge.
Dr. Walrus wrote: Also would the signals all be positive?
Yep.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Doh, that is what I get for posting without testing. :oops:

Dr. Walrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dr. Walrus »

DaveMcW wrote:
XKnight wrote:
MY TASK 2
That is pretty easy.

I don't think it's quite so easy as that, because when you use a combinator with the ANY signal you are only getting the value of the signal you want. To get the actual type of signal and value you'll need to run it through another combinator to get the signal with the same value. And you can't erase the old signal from memory until you're done with the second combinator. So unless I'm missing something I'm pretty sure it will take 2 ticks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've got a start to a solution that you might be able to work on. This one takes a 1 tick long signal of a bunch of items and outputs them in order every 2 ticks. It's limited to only positive or only negative numbers and all of their values must be different.
Picture
Code
The purple highlighted section just turns the output from the constant combinators into a 1 or 2 tick signal.
The red highlighted section converts negative number outputs into positive numbers and cleans up the signal.

The first signal in order is sent out from combinator 5, and it is erased from the combined signal by combining the wire with the output of combinator 2, which multiplied everything by negative 1. Therefore the second loop will use all negative numbers and the second signal will be output as negative, which is why the output needs to be hooked to a thing that turns negative signals into positive.

*EDIT* I posted this before I saw your guys latest posts. And I just now saw your requirement that the sequence doesn't matter. If that's ok then you can split the input by over/under average and then run both of those through parallel versions of my design, delay one of them by 1 tick, and then reconnect the outputs.

*EDIT 2* I realized that you'd have to split the input by exactly half. So to do that you would need the median, not the average, and I'm not really sure how to calculate the median.

piriform
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by piriform »

I tried a number of configurations and No Joy. Best can output @2-3 ticks/signal.
DaveMcW's comment led me to investigate the following.
hmm2.jpg
hmm2.jpg (38.49 KiB) Viewed 31204 times
Interesting, but probably a distraction. Although, if the signals have an upper limit and the signals are subtracted from that limit then inverted???

I'd like to know a bit more about the signal values
a) are values increasing (or can be made) monotonically or at least in some order?
b) Can the set (of signals) be partitioned and treated in parallel?

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

piriform wrote: I'd like to know a bit more about the signal values
a) are values increasing (or can be made) monotonically or at least in some order?
b) Can the set (of signals) be partitioned and treated in parallel?
a) signals don't have any strict order
b) as you wish, but this will be your own implementation detail

Dr. Walrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dr. Walrus »

Posted a new contraption, the variable signal delayer. Check it out.

XKnight, did you ever come up with a solution for your challenge? If you split the signals by above and below the median you could do two of those things I posted in parallel, but you would have to know the median in advance, and you wouldn't have as much control over the order the signals came out.

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

Dr. Walrus wrote:Posted a new contraption, the variable signal delayer. Check it out.

XKnight, did you ever come up with a solution for your challenge? If you split the signals by above and below the median you could do two of those things I posted in parallel, but you would have to know the median in advance, and you wouldn't have as much control over the order the signals came out.
In fact, I found the solution 2 days ago, but it has about 40 combinators (3 ticks first delay) which makes this build quite expensive.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Here is a solution with 30 combinators, not counting the loader. Unfortunately it suffers from this bug, so the timing is a bit messed up. I'm sure it can be optimized further, but I am happy just to get it functional.

It uses my previous strategy, with the added feature of splitting the data set above and below the average. This gives 2 signals every 2 ticks. Since the average is 2 ticks behind, I inject the partial result from the ANYTHING signal directly into the AVERAGE calculation to keep it accurate.

The blueprint is missing the red wire between the constant combinator and the electric pole; add that when the build is complete.
Blueprint
iterator.jpg
iterator.jpg (743.71 KiB) Viewed 31117 times

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

And here is my solution:

- 18 combinators
- 3 ticks first delay (may be reduced to 2 ticks, but this is not so important)
- doesn't use negative mirror, as a result it doesn't suffer from this bug and any decision that will be made there
- input values should be in range 100...200 (may be increased by changing constant)
1.png
1.png (706.21 KiB) Viewed 31104 times
Blueprint

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

DaveMcW wrote:Here is a solution with 30 combinators, not counting the loader. Unfortunately it suffers from this bug, so the timing is a bit messed up. I'm sure it can be optimized further, but I am happy just to get it functional.

It uses my previous strategy, with the added feature of splitting the data set above and below the average. This gives 2 signals every 2 ticks. Since the average is 2 ticks behind, I inject the partial result from the ANYTHING signal directly into the AVERAGE calculation to keep it accurate.

The blueprint is missing the red wire between the constant combinator and the electric pole; add that when the build is complete.
I found several problems in your build:
Input: your test case;
Ouput per tick
Also, you loader has a little bit complex mechanic... it sends reduced number of signals each tick, which (in my opinion) is not the same as "send 15 different signals each 15th tick". But it is your decision whether or not to count loader as a part of solver.

By the way, here is my output on your test:
Ouput per tick

Return to “Combinator Creations”