Single circular belt factory

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
Styrkar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Single circular belt factory

Post by Styrkar »

Hi,

I have been working on a logic driven, single belt production line that is relatively easy to set up and can be extended without many problems.
All of it still uses 0.12 level tech.
Overview
The whole system consisty of three parts. A storage area for the finished products, a input area for externally produced materials (iron plates, circuits, ect..) and a production area with the assembly machines.
The production process uses the logic circuit signals for the products.
If a storage chest contains less then the specified number of items (e.g. just 100 out of 150 fast inserters), a signal for that item would be send out to the network (decider sends out fast inserter as 1).
On the production side the assembly complex for the fast inserter reacts to this signal by activating the inserters for the assembly machine and the logic will also send signals for ever component needed by the factory to the network. These signals will activate their assembly machines and they will send out their needed materials so that the network always contains signals for every material/product that is currently needed/produced.
The production line is set up in a way to make extension easy. After the initial setup the sub areas can be chained together to extend the setup.
Demo Setup
Logic Wiring
External Item Input

Lets go over the different areas:
1) The storage area
The storage area consist of a smart inserter, two decider combiners, a provider chest and an optional lamp for each product that is stored.
The first decider checks if the chest contains enough items. If not it sends out the signal (0) to the inserter and the second decider (and the optional lamp). The second decider sends out the signal for the product if signal (0) is 1 and the inserter is only active while the chest doesnt contain enough items. This allows other assembly line to ask for a product without it being picked up when it passes the storage area.
2) External input area.
The external input accepts raw materials and products from other parts of the factory. Anything that is usually mass produced can be inserted into the system at this point.
The setup here consists of two smart inserters and a requester chest (a belt delivery system is possible but requires more space). One inserter picks up the parts that pass it and the next puts the items onto the belt if they are requested. This way the belt is kept clean of items that are not needed for the current production requests.
For some high demand items like iron plates, I put in multiple chests. These output of the additional chests is tied to the demand (if 5 assembly machines need iron plates the signal for iron plates will have a value of 5). So one output will always be active, the others only if the demand is greater then 2 or 5.
3) The production area.
The production area consists of two independant assembly machines with their logic. One product is produced by one assembly machine, one constant combinator, three decider combinators, an arithmatic combinator, four smart inserters a provider (or smart) chest and an optional lamp.
The first decider will check if the signal for the itemtype is on the network and put out the signal (0) as 1 if it is. The arithmatic combinator will multiply the signal (0) with the signal from the constant combinator (which sends out signals for all the items needed by the assembly process) and send the result to the network. This way the needed materials are requested.
The products from the assembly machine will be put into the chest (while signal (0) is 1) and from there out to the belt (also signal (0) has to be 1). Passing products will also be put into the chest at any time. This will clean up the belt once the product is not needed anymore.
The additional two deciders check the itemcount in the chest and turn of the input to the assembly machine once it passes the threshold (100 in this case).
This will prevent the chest filling up and the belt being filled up by the product if the rest of the line is too slow to use it up.

The production setup can be put in a blueprint once the wires are connected and then copied as many times as you want. For each production setup you only have to set the items marked in red after it is build. The green values can be adjusted, but this is optional. Also the powerstation has to be connected to the rest of the network.

The order in which the items are produced is not overly important, though from what I experienced during my tests putting sub-products like gears or copper wire in the front should reduce startup times for the production.

I had a lot of fun playing around with this and once 0.13 is out (stable) I might improve it further. But this setup is currently producing everything I dont need in mass quantities and it does a decent job.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Styrkar, you have a great and huge setup there. It truely is a single circular belt and it has great micromanagement with those tailored requests.

Does your belt actually become completely empty if the production has stopped?

Gertibrumm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gertibrumm »

I think I can answer that for you! Yes the belt will at some certain demand like lots of copper wires and cogs and circuits clog up and effectivness will reduce quite significantly (just my experience) but this acually doesnt matter as time is of no concern since you only have one assembler per product and that is pretty slow. (by the way Skyrkar uses his factory for special items that take long time to produce anyway and probably uses a different factory for the usual semi-products)
From my experience I can say that the factorys we have seen in this thread are all just prove of concept as they are very hard to implement into the regular game and way too slow to keep biters at their toes. ;)
But I am keen to see new concepts like this (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27349)

Styrkar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Styrkar »

ske wrote:Styrkar, you have a great and huge setup there. It truely is a single circular belt and it has great micromanagement with those tailored requests.

Does your belt actually become completely empty if the production has stopped?
Thanks ske, to answer your question, yes, the belt will become completetly empty once everything is produced. Contrary to what Gerti wrote, the belt also wont fill up with one item since the assembly setup stops producing an item if its not used up fast enough.
Of course the production is not as fast as a dedicated setup, especially if many items are produced at once, but it is more then enough to keep you supplied with everything you dont need in bulk. Right now I am using it for a bit over 50 end products and I haven't had a supply problem.
I would not recommend it for high demand stuff like circuits, belts ect, you still need a dedicated setup (or the awesome looking nano factory) for those. But this line is extendable and easy to set up especially with blueprints (took me just a few minutes to add splitters and underground belts to it).
In a regular game it should be more then enough to supply you with most items from the production / logistic tabs.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

The first incarnation:
Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-06 um 20.09.19_s.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-06 um 20.09.19_s.jpg (105.29 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
It consists of the following parts:
  • A fully connected circular belt.
    Set to read and hold, this counts the total number of items on the belt.
  • The inserters placing items on the belt are all connected to the belt.
    They each have limits of "itemtype < Number".
That's it. 0.13 makes these things so easy.

It looks a bit ridiculous but you only have to set some reasonable limits for the inserters such that the belt isn't too full of items and everything gets enough and you're done. It runs perfectly stable. When two inserters of the same type (e.g. iron and copper plates) are present, put their levels at like 15 and 20 so that they fill the belt evenly.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Another design in a different thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28414

neurofish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by neurofish »

I have created a circulating factory on similar principle, but with many diffs in details.

Overview:
overview.jpg
overview.jpg (369.29 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
It have four lanes for better productivity, lanes balanced in some parts of cirlce. There are some mechanism for measuring and controlling concentration of materials on belts. I don't consider that exact counting is good decision, because of unneccessary delays, concentration measured relatively to some clock signal (i.e. how much items of some type is goes beside measuring point in some time period). It is possible to change period: to increase or decrease overall concentration (it is useful in tuning of such factory). Excess item concentration is removed to temporal storage and, when concetration of such item type is under treshold, it returned back on lanes from temporal storage. Of course, it is for intermediates, end products filtered out of the circle. Factory includes also chemical line and can produce everything possible in Factorio, pipes for liquids for assemblers included.

In details:

Input Area
input.jpg
input.jpg (268.34 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
Raw materials injects here. But you can inject what you want, if it injected near equal among belts. For example, you can inject materials from some side production line (or lesser circular factory, as I do, hard to create such a 4-lane factory from beggining, I begin from 2-lane ;) )
Raw liquids\gases delivered by pipes to chemical line (see next)

Then, materials goes to chemical line:
chemical.jpg
chemical.jpg (243.21 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
Obviously, it is a hardest part of circle, because concentration of raw materials lowers from beginning to end due to using in assembly. And it is decided to split input lanes twofold. May be, needed more.
Chemicals must be produced in beginning or flexibility of circular factory would decrease.

Then, begins assembly line:
assembly1.jpg
assembly1.jpg (173.88 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
At bigger view:
assembly2.jpg
assembly2.jpg (429.43 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
Each assembler can grab his ingredients from one of 4 lanes and put his product on one of 2 nearest lanes. It means, that, with proper tuning, almost no delays in working of assemblers. Plenty of raw resources neccessary, of course. Because all assemblers are identical in terms on logistics supply, you can assign and reassign recipes on your will. It is very useful for changing factory setup to another type of production (by example you can change setup from producing a science bottles to logistic stuff construction or warfare). You can balance setups among production strategies or you can produce some intermediates to reserve. All excess intermediates will be stored in temporal storage on circle, and, when they needed, they returns to circle. It happens automatically when concentration of such of intermediate falls lower than threshold. By the way, it means, that many intermediates circulates in some basic concentration all the time.
As you see, that factory very flexible (and very greed).
For long production chains you must setup appropriate quantity of assemblers of intermediate products, best configuration is achieved when lower tier intermediates produced in circle before higher tiers. And productivity of producing of lower tiers must be enough or delays in higher tier assemblers is unavoidable (but you can reset such a lazy assembler for some collateral production, warfare for example).
How much assemblers can be in line? I don't know. I have about 80, may be, more will fit. But, more assemblers - more raw resources needed - more throughput of lanes is neccessary. From my experience - you first meet a great lack of raw resources (infrastructure for mining and smelting raw resources for that factory a 6-7 times bigger than the factory). Great space for innovation and optimisation ;)

So, after assembling, materials go to Rearrange Area:
rearrange.jpg
rearrange.jpg (267.33 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
it is artefact of concentration measuring method. That smart inserterts try to move each type of material on same lane, it leads to increase of concentration of that material on that lane. Then, it is more handful to measure of concentration and grab excess material to temporal store.

Measuring Area:
measuring.jpg
measuring.jpg (91.35 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
I think, there are a much means to get concentration of intermediate, then I write a little explanation on my method. One smart gets his type of material from lane to smart chest if there are less than X of that material in smart chest. Putting smart put that material from chest to lane on clock. Now we have in wire circuit some number from 0 to X for this type of material - it is an estimate of concentration. It is inaccurate, but no need in accuracy in that design - temporal storage have only 3 option of action: get that material to storage, do nothing, put that material from storage on lane. Then, we have 2 tresholds for discriminate that options.

After measuring, end products extracted from circle:
endproducts.jpg
endproducts.jpg (76.75 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
You can do it somewhere else, there is no rule for place for it.

After that, temporal storage:
storage.jpg
storage.jpg (260.08 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
Storage unificated by storage cells (but you must set once type of material for cell). It works simple by thresholds described above.
If you think that lanes on screenshot are clogged, you are nearly right. Some cells are full and their type of material is circulates and accumulates on circle. I checked factory some hours ago :D and in that time it comes to this miserable state. You can notice a row of smarts on low border screenshot - it is emergency system for such an incidents. It can be on by some signal and smarts starts grab all from lane to chests. Alternatively, i can just assign another cell for that excess material and just wait (about 10 min), but it is too long to wait. May be, some smarter system for such cases demanded.

What an advantages of this design of factory?
- it is flexible, you can change production in simple way, no need of redesign of factory
- it supports a huge amount of material type (i tried it on DyTech, well, i think, i don't want build a standart type of factory in DyTech, that type of design is an excellent solution for type-rich mods)
- productivity nearly as best as in standart type (but demands a proper tuning and delivering huge amount of raws)
- it's totally new type of design and it poses very unusual problems that is very interesing to solve. By the way, you can build up to 6-lane circular factory, and use a superfast belt for it. Imagine how it is challenging.

What a contras?
- it need a proper tuning. Or clogging is unavoidable. It is not a annoyning fine tuning, but retuning in some hours needed. But i sure, more perfect (and compicated) factory is possible without that need
- it is complex. Is it really a disadvantage?
- hard to build it in beginning. My advice: begin with 2-belt design for producing a parts for 4-lanes design.
- it consumes resources really well. You can end with situation when raw resources just ends before high tier assemblers and that assemblers just waits for them. Some smart design to cope with that demanded. Or you can just overwhelm factory with raw resources. It always work ;)

Return to “Combinator Creations”