Combinator FACTORIO sign

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Combinator FACTORIO sign

Post by Twinsen »

By popular demand, here is the savegame with the scrolling FACTORIO sign (the one from this video)
Download it here http://twinsen.info/etc/twinsen_combinator_sign.zip

I used this map to test many things. It was done with an early version of the combinators so some things might not seem intuitive.
It's running on a separate electric network to test that the combinators work properly when out of electricity(you will notice the scrolling will slow down if it has low energy)

On the top left there are the control combinators:
The first constant combinator is the reset(load) signal. 1 copper plate = normal operation, 0 copper plate = reset and load the constant values from the constant combinators
The second constant combinator turns the scrolling on and off, it is connected to a decider combinator that controls the speed.

Feel free to reverse engineer and comment on it :)

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Combinator FACTORIO sign

Post by oLaudix »

It would be cool to make some of them randomly flicker. It would look old :D

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Thanks for this! :) Perhaps I can actually figure out how combinators work by looking at the setup. :D
Image Image Image

Sander Buruma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sander Buruma »

this is 1 billion gazillion times awesome, thanks Twinsen!

Sander Buruma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sander Buruma »

After some long reverse engineering and without any prior circuit building experience, I managed to recreate the contraption and spell something on it:
http://youtu.be/UogYVk6pFW0

Again thanks for the save Twinsen!

Edit: I do have a question. Why does Twinsens design have 2 arithmetic converts that take the red signal and multiply / divide it by 0 and output nowhere? The whole thing works without them.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Sander Buruma wrote:Why does Twinsens design have 2 arithmetic converts that take the red signal and multiply / divide it by 0 and output nowhere? The whole thing works without them.
No reason. I used it to make the first screenshot in https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-88 so it looks cool :)

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

i'am not sure if this helpful, but if you want more colorful things ... you can use modded lamps

Image Image

Sander Buruma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sander Buruma »

Thats nice but I want lamps that change their color/intensity based on the value of a specified signal.

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

Sander Buruma wrote:Thats nice but I want lamps that change their color/intensity based on the value of a specified signal.
for this you need to wait for factorio 0.13 - i thinks it's planed.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

YuokiTani wrote:
Sander Buruma wrote:Thats nice but I want lamps that change their color/intensity based on the value of a specified signal.
for this you need to wait for factorio 0.13 - i thinks it's planed.
It is implemented in 0.13 yes.

Maja153
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Maja153 »

I really hope someone makes a calculator, and if you do, send me a PM with a picture please!

Zonk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zonk »

Can someone help me understand it?

As far as i could figure it out:
- The Constant Combinator (CC) outputs a Signal 1 Iron. This starts the initial Count i guess
-Te next Decider Combinator (DC) has a s output incoem and looks it back to income untill iron < X on which the loop starts again with 1 from first CC
-The 2 next DC give out green since while X counts and the other give a red sience output if x is 0 which happens once every count of X is done.

-So far this is as far as i understand its just a Timer to initiate lights jumps over to the next cycle

-There are 3 rows with what looks to me identical sections
-Each section have 4 AC 3 Dc and 1 CC

-From each section the CC chooses the output with Speed /efficiency modules where one module represents a certain lamp
-The 4 AC are :Coin * 100k= Red Sience
Coin * 100k = Coin
Red sience * 100k = Red Sience
Green sience * 100k = Green Sience

-The 3 DC are: each > Red Sience = each count
each > Green Sience = Green count
each < coin = Coin count

-Iam sure that the sections of this 9 combinators represents a vertical row of the lamps

Now the Part that makes me mad:

I just guess that once red sience comes all Lamp signals are somehow "send" to the next cluser of 9 combinators but i dont understand it. How is it send and how are the Speed/efficiency modulvalues stored?
Coins coins everywhere but i never see a output or input of coins. They are needet without em all breaks but well what part do they play?
The only difference in wires is teh green wire connecting the Lamps.

Sorry for my grammer its too late ... spend probably too much time figuring

brilliantone
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by brilliantone »

I have a simple question in regards to the game save, how did you manage to squeeze the laser turrets in such a tight space? I can't reproduce the same layout design.

Neok
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Neok »

brilliantone wrote:I have a simple question in regards to the game save, how did you manage to squeeze the laser turrets in such a tight space? I can't reproduce the same layout design.
Not sure since I didnt download the save, but the size of lazor turrets have changed in a patch. When you open a save with the old size they are not removed but instead overlap.

brilliantone
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by brilliantone »

Neok wrote:
brilliantone wrote:I have a simple question in regards to the game save, how did you manage to squeeze the laser turrets in such a tight space? I can't reproduce the same layout design.
Not sure since I didnt download the save, but the size of lazor turrets have changed in a patch. When you open a save with the old size they are not removed but instead overlap.
I have managed to achieve the exact layout of the turrets by using the console in the game. I was not able to reproduce the layout by using an older version of the game.

Neok
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Neok »

brilliantone wrote: I have managed to achieve the exact layout of the turrets by using the console in the game. I was not able to reproduce the layout by using an older version of the game.
Just downloaded the save and this can be because of the old turret size, from versions before 0.12 . Back then they where smaller than the 2x2 grid now..
If you had laser turrets placed in an old map and then updated the game, you'd end up with this. If you didn't destroy them you could keep them like that.

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

Can somebody re-upload the file? Would like to learn something from Twinsen but the map cannot be loaded. "init.dat" produces CRC error when trying to unpack. Archive is probably damaged.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Return to “Combinator Creations”