UPS optimization - Windows Safe mode benefits? (spoiler: no)

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
Belter
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

UPS optimization - Windows Safe mode benefits? (spoiler: no)

Post by Belter »

Hunt for more stable benchmarking results
- Factorio benchmarks seems to have 1%-3% accuracy
- I've tried using Windows Safe mode - expected more stable numbers
- Also turning Debug on/off (F5 before save) and setting the speed to normal or 64x - just to see if there is any effect - expected no effect
- Run the test saves (100 iron smelting lanes) 8x, 50.000 ticks each
Results
- Windows Safe Mode does not give more stability (just a little bit better)
- Safe mode gives +3.78% UPS, proportional - fine, actually I've expected more
- Debug mode and speed set in the savegame has no effect on the measurements
- No idea why one of these saves has outlier numbers
Saves
- 100 lanes of iron smelting - see this and this thread
- "d" for debug more: "dn": no "dy":yes
- "s" for speed: "s1": normal speed "s64": saved with 64x speed set
- saves are created from the same savegame, setting the parameters and saving immediately
Notes
- Still looking for methods making the benchmarks in Factorio more stable
- I'll move back to 500 lanes - these tests had 100 lanes leading to 1000+ UPS
- Saves, results attached
- the 1% bar is... ...roughly
Attachments
UPS-NormalMode.png
UPS-NormalMode.png (75.17 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
UPS-SafeMode.png
UPS-SafeMode.png (76.68 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
B001 results.csv
(9.31 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
B001-Belter-v6.75s-dn-s1.zip
(2.95 MiB) Downloaded 74 times
B001-Belter-v6.75s-dn-s64.zip
(2.95 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
B001-Belter-v6.75s-dy-s64.zip
(2.97 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
B001-Belter-v6.75s-dy-s1.zip
(2.98 MiB) Downloaded 72 times

joonazan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: UPS optimization - Windows Safe mode benefits? (spoiler: no)

Post by joonazan »

I think the best benchmark would be headless Factorio on Linux with no GUI and all unnecessary processes turned off. For example Arch linux or Ubuntu server is pretty close to that out of the box.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I find it interesting that you expected better performance out of Factorio in Safe mode vs not.

While yes, Safe mode loads without a lot of the extra processes and overhead, it also loads with generic drivers for the bare necessities. So while on the one hand, yes, there’s less stuff running to compete with it, it’s also going to be working with unoptimized drivers for everything.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

joonazan wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:26 pm
I think the best benchmark would be headless Factorio on Linux with no GUI and all unnecessary processes turned off. For example Arch linux or Ubuntu server is pretty close to that out of the box.
Yah, this one. a linode running arch gets to just about the minimal set of overhead processes if anybody needs it, but on almost all maps I get within 1% repeatability by just closing the browser and steam, everything else uses basically zero cpu; in one, maybe two cases(?) I have had to shut off the wifi too, no idea if that was transitory/driver issues or the maps driving cache bandwidth right to my rig's limits.

But that's the thing: benchmark-land is not reality-land. It's a good rough comparison if none of the competitors is trying to optimize for that particular metric, but once anybody's actually relying on the benchmark metric the system has already, and literally, been gamed. Best not to worry about a few percent unless everybody knows it's mostly for shits and giggles.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:44 pm
I find it interesting that you expected better performance out of Factorio in Safe mode vs not.

While yes, Safe mode loads without a lot of the extra processes and overhead, it also loads with generic drivers for the bare necessities. So while on the one hand, yes, there’s less stuff running to compete with it, it’s also going to be working with unoptimized drivers for everything.
CPUs are pretty much "whatever" in terms of Driver support. it's baked into the OS binaries.

though I agree about the GPU, for sure. and audio, unless it's completely disabled in Safe Mode.

Return to “Combinator Creations”