Logistics belt, crafting fun without bots.

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Logistics belt, crafting fun without bots.

Post by Demosthenex »

Given all the hype of bots vs belts recently, I thought I'd convert my adhoc crafting mall from being part of my main bus to a logistics belt driven facility.

Images, diagrams, and blueprint string here: https://imgur.com/a/Geavw

I'm quite happy with how it has turned out! I'm certain it's been done before, but this is 0.16!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Logistics belt, crafting fun without bots.

Post by eradicator »

While i really like the idea i see several severe problems that limit this build for every-day usage. Some of which may be solvable.

1) Bandwidth:
The most obvious point. Using a single blue belt for all those assemblers is nowhere near enough to make anything in a reasonabe time frame. The blue belt assembler alone would require a dedicated supply belt just for iron gears.

2) Speed:
Some of the items in your example layout are far too slowly produced with just one assembler. From what i can see as a glance i'd say at least stone bricks, blue circuits and copper wires fall into this category.

3) Delay:
As you're not using crossfeed between assemblers (and crossfeeding everything that would need to be isn't possible in a straight rows setup anyway) you're creating huge lag for recipes that require subcomponent crafting within the facility. E.g. for basic inserter -> fast inserter -> stack inserter each component has to literally go full circle before reaching the next assembler.

Possible solutions:
1,2) Rethink which items are considered raw input items, and which ones are better mass produced in a seperate facility. For example in my own mall i consider yellow inserters, yellow belts and straight-pipes as input items. As they require mass production anyway for science packs, and are needed in large quantities and in several recipes each.

3) Add crossfeeding and reorder the assembler in a way that maximizes possible crossfeeds. E.g. Inserters are best build [Long]<[Basic]>[Fast]>[Stack]>[StackFilter] so that each assembler can directly feed into the next one. Decreasing delay and saving bandwidth on the main input belt.

Additional:
If you rigidly improve the facility for crossfeeding it may become feasible to include a second loop for output only (as output items are rarely required for any of the inputs) running to the player-pick-up-point. Which would save bandwidth on the main input line. Of course a second input loop would be preferrable but that sounds a lot more difficult to implement circuit-wise (but then again...i hear you like a good challenge. So for V2 i expect multi-line requests :P).
Further bandwidth savings on the main input may be possible by including a few selected "dumb" input belts running vertical to some of the assemblers for high bandwidth inputs (gears, green circuits, etc).

Finally:
Don't me wrong. I really like the idea. Especially the extremely compact pick-up point with just a few chests =). But when i see an opportunity for optimization i can't just silently walk along :P.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

Regarding delay, yes, it's not meant for speed. It's mean to reduce belt complexity for crafting adhoc items.

I define adhoc items as items we use only for building the base, not for throughput intensive items and situations (ie: not science packs and intermediate products). This has plenty of time to make and cache several hundred of every item to support our builds.

The few intermediates are only there because I'm dribbling them in while I build high speed facilities elsewhere.

Normally I'd place a few chunks of bots with logistics chests on assemblers to make and store items, but I could unlock and create this earlier.

McGasior
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by McGasior »

Edytu
I have worked about the same problem and solve a lot of problem above. It is not end but I think I am closer than you.
There are some screenshots:
Overview

Intelligent input

sorter

orderer

fluid system

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

McGasior wrote:Edytu
I have worked about the same problem and solve a lot of problem above. It is not end but I think I am closer than you.
The screenshots are great! Mind giving a fuller explanation of what it does?

It looks like you are pulling from your main bus on demand for a row of assemblers. I had considered making some kind of smart routing, where I could tap a bus and route items but you may have done exactly that!

Return to “Combinator Creations”