BZ Mods - Titanium, Silica & Silicon, Lead, Tungsten, Zirconium...

Topics and discussion about specific mods
orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: BZ Mods - Titanium, Silica & Silicon, Lead, Tungsten, Zirconium...

Post by orzelek »

brevven wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:55 pm
Hope the new recipes are fun to play around with.

Thinking on resource generation, RSO does have "multi-resource" configuration options. I should probably look into setting those conditionally.
It's not the beast feature of RSO and can lead to some strange results in terms of ore density but it's there. It can be disabled by users in options.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

orzelek wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:03 pm
Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:55 pm
Hope the new recipes are fun to play around with.

Thinking on resource generation, RSO does have "multi-resource" configuration options. I should probably look into setting those conditionally.
It's not the beast feature of RSO and can lead to some strange results in terms of ore density but it's there. It can be disabled by users in options.
I have mine on because I like the randomness of that. Plus it helps occasionally provide some more of something else. :D
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Xynariz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xynariz »

I'm loving this set of mods mixed in my K2SE game, thank you for that, Brevven!

Speaking of other mod compatibility, I have a few questions:
  • K2 recently changed their dirty water filtration so that it doesn't give back 100% of the water that went into it. (This may or may not be SE-specific, I'm not sure). Is that something you would want to update for your mods that use the K2 enrichment process?
  • Titanium ore enrichment has its own technology, yet zircon, tungsten, and lead enrichment recipes are mixed into the default ore enrichment research. I'm wondering - is this intentional? I know titanium is a bit later-game than the other ores, is that the reason why? In my K2SE playthrough, tungsten is a necessary prerequisite for ore enrichment (tungsten -> lamp -> chemical tech card), but zirconia is not, so should zirconia have its own research?

brevven
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by brevven »

Thanks for the kind words :)
Xynariz wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:48 am
K2 recently changed their dirty water filtration so that it doesn't give back 100% of the water that went into it. (This may or may not be SE-specific, I'm not sure). Is that something you would want to update for your mods that use the K2 enrichment process?
Thanks for letting me know. I'll investigate this in both K2SE as well as K2 without SE and try to line up enrichment recipes to match.
Titanium ore enrichment has its own technology, yet zircon, tungsten, and lead enrichment recipes are mixed into the default ore enrichment research. I'm wondering - is this intentional? I know titanium is a bit later-game than the other ores, is that the reason why? In my K2SE playthrough, tungsten is a necessary prerequisite for ore enrichment (tungsten -> lamp -> chemical tech card), but zirconia is not, so should zirconia have its own research?
Oh this is a good point. So right now you could theoretically unlock Zircon enrichment before you unlock Zirconia processing. Probably not ideal. I can definitely look into fixing that.

Fishy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fishy »

Here is a save file concerning copper processing and high science factor.
Attachments
Olio.zip
(13.12 MiB) Downloaded 120 times

EESTheHero
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Nil Value - Titanium by brevven

Post by EESTheHero »

I have all the other BZ mods working fine, only this one chokes up.

I am by no means skilled at understanding the code, and I ask for your forgiveness, but this is what it reads verbatim when attempting to load the mods:

Failed to load mods: bztitanium/titanium-recipe-final-5d.lua:6: attempt to index field 'titanium-plate' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
bztitanium/titanium-recipe-final-5d.lua:6 in main chunk
[C]: in function 'require'
bztitanium/data-final-fixes.lua:20: in main chunk

Any update on what I may be doing wrong would be great! Thank you for your great mods on the other hand!

Savefile is attached, hopefully that will be easier to see the modlist as well:
Savefile-Modlist for troubleshooting bztitanium.zip
(16.26 MiB) Downloaded 151 times

EESTheHero
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by EESTheHero »

****RESOLVED BY NEW UPDATE THANKS TO brevven!!****

manekin3k0
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by manekin3k0 »

Great mods, a couple of minor items I noticed with K2:

Filter Dirty Water (Zircon) recipe is giving 20% Titanium (along with Zircon and Water). It probably shouldn't give Titanium at all or should give much less Titanium (maybe 1% ?), because the same Filter Dirty Water from the Titanium mod only gives 5% Titanium Ore.

Filter Dirty Water (Lead) has a typo in recipe description (item==coppper-ore). Also, maybe the Lead result from it could be simplified from 20% 1-4 x Lead Ore to just 50% Lead Ore (if my math is right)?

brevven
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by brevven »

manekin3k0 wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:40 pm
Filter Dirty Water (Zircon) recipe is giving 20% Titanium (along with Zircon and Water). It probably shouldn't give Titanium at all or should give much less Titanium (maybe 1% ?), because the same Filter Dirty Water from the Titanium mod only gives 5% Titanium Ore.
Ah, thanks. The titanium is an intentional byproduct, but I think you're right, it's probably too high.
Filter Dirty Water (Lead) has a typo in recipe description (item==coppper-ore). Also, maybe the Lead result from it could be simplified from 20% 1-4 x Lead Ore to just 50% Lead Ore (if my math is right)?
Ah nice idea, your math does seem right.

I should take a pass on all the enrichment lines. It's been almost a year since I gave K2 a true playthrough beyond playtesting.

Illusion13
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Illusion13 »

This is a specific K2SE thing I've noticed, but not sure how much it applies to vanilla.

So probably the BIGGEST resource sink in K2SE is the creation of module, as as you're making higher level modules, the single most used resource is copper, since you dump huge numbers of green chips (copper) and red chips (copper) into it. Combine that with the blank space data cards also being red chips (copper) plus more copper, it seems like I was constantly out of copper. Not sure how much your mods can influence the space data cards but perhaps it can influence green or reds? Would be nice to get a bit more balance.

Another thing that you'll constantly run out of in K2SE is vitamelange, but thats probably out of the reach of these mods...

Fishy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fishy »

I am also playing BZ mods together with SE and K2.

I agree that BZ mods could potentially address some of the copper (over)use. And also some core mining balance issues.

Here are some proposed recipe changes that could help, and, at the same time, enrich game play :D

1: Change the first tier module recipes- Reduce the electronic circuit needs from 5 to 2, and then add 1 automation core. This change makes the most sense when aluminum is used since it changes the Automation core recipe.

A quote from another user:
"Overall, I like that suggestion, for several reasons.
1) It cuts the amount of copper in half
2) It decreases the amount of graphite (which is also really high)
3) It diversifies what you need (seven materials instead of four)
4) It gives more opportunities for productivity benefit (gear, stick, core)
5) It gives more use for the automation core (which personally, I feel is criminally underused in K2SE)
6) Total cost is nearly balanced (12.5 current vs. 11 proposed)"

2: Change the second tier module recipes- Include tungsten plate. Currently, there is no steady use of tungsten pre-space outside of one time cost infrastructure needs. When playing SE, module production should never stop. This would make core mining actually usable without resorting to voiding resources.

3: Change the recipe of Blank Data Cards- Reduce the required 6 copper plate to 2, and then add 2 titanium plate and 2 aluminum plate to that recipe. This addresses both the copper issue and the titanium under use issues.

4: Reduce the core mining output of titanium from 3 to 2. It just isn't used that much.

5: Increase the amount of flake graphite from core mining from 2 to 3. Graphite is used extensively in circuits and refractory recipes.

Xynariz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xynariz »

As "another user" that Fishy referred to above, I second everything he said. :D

brevven
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by brevven »

Thanks Illusion12, Fishy, and Xynariz for this feedback on copper usage in SE & K2. I generally consider it a good thing to reduce demand of vanilla resources and replace the high demand with scaling complexity.

Automation core seems like a neat idea for first tier modules. I like the theme of modules representing digital/mechanical widgets that can be used to improve other machines. I'll take a look at that specific suggestion, and more generally at the overall copper usage.

Regarding the vitamelange issue, I'll examine if there's an elegant way to improve that with fullerenes, etc from Graphite & Diamonds without undercutting SE's core themes and challenges. I suspect there will be.

I can definitely address the titanium & graphite issues. I'll look into all the suggestions.

ValthumArdes
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ValthumArdes »

Hi brevven! First of all I would like to thank you for the huge work you have made to your mods. It's amazing how high their quality is.
I have a quick question: do you plan to focus on new mods (I mean noble metals/tin) in the near future, or on improving existing mods. Not gonna lie, the noble metals idea is awesome and I can't wait for the release.
Anyway, I appreciate your work and thanks again for creating some of the best Factorio mods :D

Illusion13
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Illusion13 »

Hello again:

Just noticed a weird integration with 248k mod. Or rather, no integration. 248k has an item called "aluminium" and BZ ores also has aluminum and it doesn't seem like there's any compatibility work done between the mods. The two items should be the same one but they're not?

I added 248k cause I was just playing Vanilla with Very BZ. It adds a lot of solid recipes but doesn't seem like it adds very much fluid recipes so thats why I thought I'd add 248k.

brevven
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by brevven »

Illusion13 wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:54 am
Just noticed a weird integration with 248k mod. Or rather, no integration. 248k has an item called "aluminium" and BZ ores also has aluminum and it doesn't seem like there's any compatibility work done between the mods. The two items should be the same one but they're not?
Thanks for raising this! Good news is, PreLeyZero and I are planning on integrating these mods sometime soon. I'll update this thread when we have a beta.

brevven
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by brevven »

ValthumArdes wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:39 pm
Hi brevven! First of all I would like to thank you for the huge work you have made to your mods. It's amazing how high their quality is.
I have a quick question: do you plan to focus on new mods (I mean noble metals/tin) in the near future, or on improving existing mods. Not gonna lie, the noble metals idea is awesome and I can't wait for the release.
Anyway, I appreciate your work and thanks again for creating some of the best Factorio mods :D
Hi, apologies for delayed reply. Appreciate the kind words. Not really sure on timing of Noble Metals and Tin. The two factors are availability and planning. I should have more availability over the next few months. But, it's ironically hard to plan for planning :lol: I'm never quite sure when a mod will come together.

ValthumArdes
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ValthumArdes »

Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:23 pm
ValthumArdes wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:39 pm
Hi, apologies for delayed reply. Appreciate the kind words. Not really sure on timing of Noble Metals and Tin. The two factors are availability and planning. I should have more availability over the next few months. But, it's ironically hard to plan for planning :lol: I'm never quite sure when a mod will come together.
You're right, It's hard to plan for planning (especially when it comes to programming :D ). Thanks for the reply and good luck with the mods.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Hi there!

I landed on an error with the Carbon mod and made a bug report with more details on it on github:
https://github.com/brevven/carbon/issues/5

I wasn't sure how often you check the github page so just to be sure I report here as well :)

Karnifex
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Karnifex »

Heya Brevven,

first off: many MANY thanks for your continuous work on this amazing mod of yours! Do you have a Kofi page or something of that nature?

At the moment I'm playing a SE (+AAI Industry and almost everything else from Earendel) + KSΒ² + Very BZ modded game, and man is that mindbogglingly good! :ugeek:

Your mod is already very extensive and adds A LOT to the game and I adore it, I still may have a suggestion. XD

Since it is -in our world- so important for many industrial products: Nickel !
Adding Nickel as a surface ore would not clutter the map too much. And the accompanying superalloys would add an exciting -and fitting AND plausible- layer of complexity to the game.

On a more abstract level I have another suggestion:
Since adding ALL the elements of the periodic table isn't going to be fun or would be ugly (a map continuously cluttered with ores), other elements such as Chromium, Molybdenum (for alloys) or Hafnium (for nuclear tech applications and alloys) could be added via a special enrichment/washing procedure (recipe) for raw rare metals ore.
This way the importance of raw rare metals would increase, which is a good thing, I think.

Finally: are you a chemist, Brevven? Or in the field of material science? :P

Return to β€œMods”