Industrial Revolution 2 discussion

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Chaos_Dwarf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Industrial Revolution 2 discussion

Post by Chaos_Dwarf »

Hey, Deadlock, I want to say Great Big Thank You for your mod. I love it.
Some things I wanted to say.
1) In your Industrial Revolution "1" you had 3x3 storage chests, made of bronze, iron and steel, they helped a lot with the game. When you made "IR-2", you removed them. Any plans to add them back, or why, if you don't?
2) Ark smelter can only use efficiency modules. I understand why it can't use production, but why can't it benefit from speed?
3) Casting machines can't use any modules at all, and don't react to beacons. Why not add speed/efficiency to them?

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Chaos_Dwarf wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:48 am
1) In your Industrial Revolution "1" you had 3x3 storage chests, made of bronze, iron and steel, they helped a lot with the game. When you made "IR-2", you removed them. Any plans to add them back, or why, if you don't?
2) Ark smelter can only use efficiency modules. I understand why it can't use production, but why can't it benefit from speed?
3) Casting machines can't use any modules at all, and don't react to beacons. Why not add speed/efficiency to them?
If I remember correctly, it was discussed previously, and the answer to #1 was that the big chests cause UPS problems.

For #2, I'm only guessing that it's because at the point where you get arc furnaces, space shouldn't be at such a premium, so part of the puzzle is figuring out how to feed all those arc furnaces as efficiently as possible without simply speeding them up.

For #3...what are "casting machines"? Do you mean foundries? Probably the same as #2: Arc furnaces and foundries are very late-game items, so by then you should have room to spread out. So I'm guessing Deadlock found it more interesting to challenge the player to develop more efficient processing without simply being able to spam speed modules everywhere. But I'm only guessing.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Kyralessa wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:26 pm
If I remember correctly, it was discussed previously, and the answer to #1 was that the big chests cause UPS problems.
Just throwing this out there:
Discussion on improving chest insertion logic (for UPS gains): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58766
Dev response: viewtopic.php?p=351657#p351657

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

FuryoftheStars wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:59 pm
Just throwing this out there:
Discussion on improving chest insertion logic (for UPS gains): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58766
Dev response: viewtopic.php?p=351657#p351657
Well, then, I guess all three of the things I said were just guessing. :D

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Thanks for the kind words.

1. I removed them partly because of vague UPS concerns but the real reason was that I didn't think they were very necessary and they were just another maintenance burden. Instead, IR2 has built in support for Earendel's AAI Containers & Warehouses mod which provides everything the old IR1 depots did and more, replacing the warehouse recipes with IR2 components.

2 & 3. There were reasons for this to do with timing, unloading and the fluid system's limitations but I have forgotten exactly what those reasons were. My own preferred playstyle was probably also a factor, I never liked modules much and beacons even less, and I made IR2 for myself first and foremost. I don't play Factorio now and the mod isn't likely to be updated further - a third party mod could tweak the settings on arc smelters and foundries if that's of interest.
"If Stalin had a good writeup on programming, would linking that be dangerous?"

Selyria
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Selyria »

Okay rubies are hidden in the fields
Last edited by Selyria on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

You have to mine the ruby naturally, the recipe is just for reliability later. copper/gold

Selyria
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Selyria »

cbhj1 wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:17 pm
You have to mine the ruby naturally, the recipe is just for reliability later. copper/gold
ah okay thanks for the info I must have overlooked

selphers
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by selphers »

For fellow beacon spammers interested people I made a mod that allows modules in Arc Furnaces and Foundries just now: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ir2-arc-furnace-module
Last edited by selphers on Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to β€œMods”