Industrial Revolution 2 discussion

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Chaos_Dwarf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Industrial Revolution 2 discussion

Post by Chaos_Dwarf »

Hey, Deadlock, I want to say Great Big Thank You for your mod. I love it.
Some things I wanted to say.
1) In your Industrial Revolution "1" you had 3x3 storage chests, made of bronze, iron and steel, they helped a lot with the game. When you made "IR-2", you removed them. Any plans to add them back, or why, if you don't?
2) Ark smelter can only use efficiency modules. I understand why it can't use production, but why can't it benefit from speed?
3) Casting machines can't use any modules at all, and don't react to beacons. Why not add speed/efficiency to them?

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Chaos_Dwarf wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:48 am
1) In your Industrial Revolution "1" you had 3x3 storage chests, made of bronze, iron and steel, they helped a lot with the game. When you made "IR-2", you removed them. Any plans to add them back, or why, if you don't?
2) Ark smelter can only use efficiency modules. I understand why it can't use production, but why can't it benefit from speed?
3) Casting machines can't use any modules at all, and don't react to beacons. Why not add speed/efficiency to them?
If I remember correctly, it was discussed previously, and the answer to #1 was that the big chests cause UPS problems.

For #2, I'm only guessing that it's because at the point where you get arc furnaces, space shouldn't be at such a premium, so part of the puzzle is figuring out how to feed all those arc furnaces as efficiently as possible without simply speeding them up.

For #3...what are "casting machines"? Do you mean foundries? Probably the same as #2: Arc furnaces and foundries are very late-game items, so by then you should have room to spread out. So I'm guessing Deadlock found it more interesting to challenge the player to develop more efficient processing without simply being able to spam speed modules everywhere. But I'm only guessing.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Kyralessa wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:26 pm
Chaos_Dwarf wrote:
If I remember correctly, it was discussed previously, and the answer to #1 was that the big chests cause UPS problems.
Just throwing this out there:
Discussion on improving chest insertion logic (for UPS gains): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58766
Dev response: viewtopic.php?p=351657#p351657
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:59 pm
Just throwing this out there:
Discussion on improving chest insertion logic (for UPS gains): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58766
Dev response: viewtopic.php?p=351657#p351657
Well, then, I guess all three of the things I said were just guessing. :D

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Chaos_Dwarf wrote:
Thanks for the kind words.

1. I removed them partly because of vague UPS concerns but the real reason was that I didn't think they were very necessary and they were just another maintenance burden. Instead, IR2 has built in support for Earendel's AAI Containers & Warehouses mod which provides everything the old IR1 depots did and more, replacing the warehouse recipes with IR2 components.

2 & 3. There were reasons for this to do with timing, unloading and the fluid system's limitations but I have forgotten exactly what those reasons were. My own preferred playstyle was probably also a factor, I never liked modules much and beacons even less, and I made IR2 for myself first and foremost. I don't play Factorio now and the mod isn't likely to be updated further - a third party mod could tweak the settings on arc smelters and foundries if that's of interest.

Selyria
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Selyria »

Okay rubies are hidden in the fields
Last edited by Selyria on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

You have to mine the ruby naturally, the recipe is just for reliability later. copper/gold

Selyria
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Selyria »

cbhj1 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:17 pm
You have to mine the ruby naturally, the recipe is just for reliability later. copper/gold
ah okay thanks for the info I must have overlooked

selphers
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by selphers »

For fellow beacon spammers interested people I made a mod that allows modules in Arc Furnaces and Foundries just now: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ir2-arc-furnace-module
Last edited by selphers on Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

WDLBPH
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by WDLBPH »

I just started playing IR2 with my personal vanilla ++ modpack, (guess I can't rly call it that anymore) and I'm really enjoying it! It's damn cool, I love all the steam stuff and I know arc furnaces are end-endgame but I love them and can't wait to use them anyway, same as in Immersive Engineering! Props to Deadlock for being cool.

Also I need to mention that Armor Pockets is incompatible with this mod, incase anyone is trying to diagnose. Also also, I wanted to mention that the heavy armor, the first researchable armor which you get after bronze, is changed to have a waay higher science cost (literally requires 400 blue) by the Power Armor MK3 mod, so you probably want to disable that mod as well until you unlock the tech.

uzmn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by uzmn »

cbhj1 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:17 pm
Hi,
could you please be a little more specific? I have already hand mined couple stacks of copper ore and didn't find any ruby. Is it just bad luck or I do something wrong?

I've already mined lot of ore by automatic miners in this run so far, so I guess there is no chance to find gems by that.
Could you give me any advice?
Thanks.

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

for gold/ruby or copper/ruby, if you look closely at the ore fields, some will have red tucked in among the ore, those specific tiles will have a tiny chance of producing ruby as well as the usual ore, similarly for the other ore/gems.

automatic miners will also mine them, it is just difficult to focus them on a specific tile like with hand mining

uzmn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by uzmn »

cbhj1 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:36 am
for gold/ruby or copper/ruby, if you look closely at the ore fields, some will have red tucked in among the ore, those specific tiles will have a tiny chance of producing ruby as well as the usual ore, similarly for the other ore/gems.

automatic miners will also mine them, it is just difficult to focus them on a specific tile like with hand mining
I see totally nothing :cry:
Am I missing some settings or so?
copper field
copper field
copper.jpg (764.79 KiB) Viewed 3634 times

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

You can also see it on the map.

If you hover over an ore field and you see little diamond/circle shapes within the borders, that indicates that the field has rubies, diamonds, or sapphires, as appropriate to the ore type.

There's an example below.

Also, it makes a difference how big your starting area is. With a normal starting area, you should see ore fields with gems fairly close by. If you choose a really big starting area, such as 600, then ore fields with gems are quite far away. I'm not clear on exactly what the formula is, but there is definitely a correlation between starting area and distance to ore fields with gems.
Attachments
CopperFieldWithRubies.png
CopperFieldWithRubies.png (10.54 KiB) Viewed 3620 times

uzmn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by uzmn »

The only one gold/copper field with the "star" I've managed to find is the one on the picture. I've set up the miner, mined couple stacks and still nothing. Not a single one ruby.
Is it mistake or I do anything wrong?

Thanks.
Gold - ruby set up
Gold - ruby set up
gold_map.jpg (43.78 KiB) Viewed 3552 times

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

In general, you're not going to find gems until you also find bugs. So you'll probably need some offense in order to mine gems. I usually combine a rocket launcher with explosive rockets and a "turret chain" using long-handed electric inserters to clean out bases.

In one 600 starting area game I played, I managed to find rubies without destroying any bases, though. I explored with my car, zigzagging between the various enemy bases, and eventually found a patch of copper not too close to any bugs. I set up a miner or two to work and some air filters to keep the pollution down so my miners wouldn't get attacked.

It took a while. At first I ferried copper ore back to the base with my car trunk, but eventually I set up a rather bendy train line.

Eventually, mixed in with the copper ore, I had a few rubies. I don't remember how many you need to set up ruby production, but I think it's not very many, about four or five, to create the laser assemblers necessary for revolutionary (blue) circuits and to get the cubic press going. And obviously once you have a cubic press running, you're golden.

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

No mistake, the ratio of gem to ore is harsh, like .7% per mining cycle on the tile that has gem, the miner also goes to all the other tiles under it as well reducing the observed output even further.

Stimpatch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stimpatch »

Another Question i like to ask:
I ran Industrial Revolution V1 a long time ago and finished it. (Super Awesome btw)

Now in IR2, i came to the point where Batteries become available, so i tried to change to batteries as Train fuel. Requests more Setup, but now my trains run on Electricity, Awesome... but there is a Problem i cannot seem to wrap my head around:

I use dedicated refulling stations to fuel my trains. In there, a train gets up to 3 full stacks of batteries... but there is only 1 stack for discharged Items as fuel. So, my trains run out of fuel because they cannot use the 2nd stack of batteries, cause the spend batteries have no where to go.

I see no way to read this info from a train at a station (by circuits), so i can only load to a max of 100 Items. Also i see no secure way to fill up train fuel to 100 without the information by circuits alone.

Iirc in IR1 there was a dedicated Train with only 1 slot for electrical fuel, al least i dont remember this problem from my old run.

Any Ideas?

Currently my fallback is going back to charcoal

Oh, and also: Big thx to Deadlock for his awesome work. Cant stress this enough.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Stimpatch wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:27 am
I use dedicated refulling stations to fuel my trains. In there, a train gets up to 3 full stacks of batteries... but there is only 1 stack for discharged Items as fuel. So, my trains run out of fuel because they cannot use the 2nd stack of batteries, cause the spend batteries have no where to go.
This feels like an oversight on my part. It looks like this was handled properly for the IR2 heavy roller vehicle (2 of each) and is correct more or less by accident for vanilla cars and IR2 monowheels (1 of each) but incorrect for locomotives and tanks.

The situation never arose in my own playthroughs because I don't recall ever having a train route last longer than a single stack of charged batteries, but I can see how it would be possible to do.

The problem for locomotives is that the available GUI space for the locomotive fuel slots is tiny. If you bump the spent fuel slots to 3 you get the character inventory pane and the entire window stretched out like this:

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (205.94 KiB) Viewed 3354 times

I will have a think about what can be done about this but I don't have any good ideas at the moment - another (bad) way to handle it would be to make charged batteries have a much smaller stack size but that would create more problems than it solved.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:26 am
I will have a think about what can be done about this but I don't have any good ideas at the moment - another (bad) way to handle it would be to make charged batteries have a much smaller stack size but that would create more problems than it solved.
You could potentially increase the stack size of the spent batteries instead if you wanted to go that route. Less negatives (I would think).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Mods”