[MOD 1.1] Sea Block Pack 0.5.12

Topics and discussion about specific mods
KiwiHawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 1.1] Sea Block Pack 0.5.3

Post by KiwiHawk »

In FNEI, the header text will either green (available), red (not researched), or gray (hidden). If the header text is red but there's no tech listed at the bottom, then there's no way to research the recipe and you can ignore it.

FNEI used to have a setting (enabled by default) to hide unreachable recipes like the one in your screenshot. However this setting was removed in 0.4.1 as it was causing multiplayer desyncs for some people.

If you're playing solo, I recommend you use FNEI 0.4.0 for now.

In the next version of the Sea Block pack, recipes like this will all correctly be marked as hidden. You may still need to change FNEI's settings to not show hidden recipes though.
Dev for Bob's mods, Angel's mods, Helmod, Sea Block, Circuit Processing, Science Cost Tweaker.

Buy me a coffee

bobDoesThings
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bobDoesThings »

Thanks for that explanation. Perhaps another easy one: why does FNEI show me 10 recipes for steam, none of which I have the tech for, but doesn't show the one I can do - Boiler plus water?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

bobDoesThings wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:28 pm
Thanks for that explanation. Perhaps another easy one: why does FNEI show me 10 recipes for steam, none of which I have the tech for, but doesn't show the one I can do - Boiler plus water?
I guess, technically, the burner boiler is not a machine with a "recipe", it just converts water into steam by burning stuff.
However, the electric boiler is like an assembly machine which has a recipe

Suppagappa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Faliure to run, tech-tree cycle

Post by Suppagappa »

So, when I try to run the game with your mod enabled, I get an error message that says:
Error loading mods
Failed to load mods: Difficulty normal: Cycle in technology tree detected.

steel-processing
-> basic-chemistry-2
-> water-treatment-2
-> slag-processing-1
-> steel-processing
I get this after activating the Sea Block mod by only checking the Sea Block check-box so only the neccesary mods are activated.
I know this is something that I can probably fix myself by messing around in the files but it would be nice to be able to just click-and-play since that's (I think?) what is meant with the "necesssary mods" (the red ones).

KiwiHawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Faliure to run, tech-tree cycle

Post by KiwiHawk »

Suppagappa wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:49 pm
So, when I try to run the game with your mod enabled, I get an error message that says:
Failed to load mods: Difficulty normal: Cycle in technology tree detected.
Sea Block isn't yet compatible with the latest versions of Angel's mods. Revert these back and everything will work fine.
Required mod versions are listed on the first post of this thread. It also has a link to download a .zip of all the mods in the pack at the correct versions.
Dev for Bob's mods, Angel's mods, Helmod, Sea Block, Circuit Processing, Science Cost Tweaker.

Buy me a coffee

KiwiHawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 1.1] Sea Block Pack 0.5.5

Post by KiwiHawk »

The Sea Block pack has been updated! Check the first post for details :D

Edit: Quick patch to allow early glass
Last edited by KiwiHawk on Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buy me a coffee

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vjbone »

Hype!

Stefa168
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stefa168 »

KiwiHawk wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:57 am
The Sea Block pack has been updated! Check the first post for details :D
Great! Thanks as always for keeping the pack going!

EDIT: forgot to ask: out of curiosity, what are the reasons behind the different changes?

KiwiHawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KiwiHawk »

Stefa168 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:51 am
EDIT: forgot to ask: out of curiosity, what are the reasons behind the different changes?
Any particular change that you're curious about? Some changes are in response to changes in Angel's or one of the other mods in the pack. Otherwise changes are simply trying to improve the game.

Buy me a coffee

Stefa168
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stefa168 »

KiwiHawk wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:59 am
Any particular change that you're curious about?
Actually, I was curious the most about the disabled recipes (like the one that produces CO2 from wood pellets)

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Stefa168 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:29 am
KiwiHawk wrote:
Actually, I was curious the most about the disabled recipes (like the one that produces CO2 from wood pellets)
That one was less efficient and rather a trap than useful.
Co2 from charcoal was previously unlocked by basic chemistry, but now Wood processing 2 unlocks charcoal and co2 from charcoal without extra research.
It's a small bit of streamlining, i'd say

KiwiHawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KiwiHawk »

Stefa168 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:29 am
KiwiHawk wrote:
Both recipes were unlocked at basically the same time. People probably unlocked both before using either. I wanted to simplify the early game a bit. It's already overwhelming for someone brand new to Sea Block / BA.

Basically, there was no reason to ever use the recipe. I'm okay with places where we have an inefficient recipe at one stage of the game, until a better recipe is unlocked later. But not by the very next tech!

Buy me a coffee

vaendryl
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 1.1] Sea Block Pack 0.5.6

Post by vaendryl »

speaking of inefficient recipes, I just downloaded the most recent version and noticed the following

making 3 carbon costs 2 charcoal and 30 steam. in terms of energy that means I'm getting 3*2.5=7.5KJ for an input of 2*4+0.9=8.9KJ.

is that intended?

KiwiHawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KiwiHawk »

vaendryl wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:14 pm
speaking of inefficient recipes, I just downloaded the most recent version and noticed the following

making 3 carbon costs 2 charcoal and 30 steam. in terms of energy that means I'm getting 3*2.5=7.5KJ for an input of 2*4+0.9=8.9KJ.

is that intended?
Yes, it's intentional. When you factored in the cost of the steam, making carbon for fuel has always been a bad idea. Slightly reduced carbon fuel value to make this more obvious. Sometimes it can be convenient to burn carbon but that isn't it's primary purpose.

Buy me a coffee

vaendryl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vaendryl »

aight, clear.
thanks

vaendryl
Inserter
Inserter

inefficient recipes.

Post by vaendryl »

what about the steel recipe?

18 iron ingots -> 18 iron plates -> 36 hot iron plates -> 6 steel plate is a lot better than
24 iron ingots -> 6 steel ingots -> 6 steel plates

the simple early-game conversion is 3 to 1 and the far more elaborate one you have to research (with green science!) is 4 to 1. (and it requires oxygen but eh)

I understand that things change when you start alloying but that's yet another whole tier in research next. at least till then if you want invar you have to use the more wasteful method.

was it not intended for 1 iron plate to turn into 2 hot plates? that struck me as a bit odd to begin with and didn't really expect it. spending 6 iron for 1 steel would be pretty rough till green science though :)

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: inefficient recipes.

Post by jodokus31 »

vaendryl wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:54 pm

18 iron ingots -> 18 iron plates -> 36 hot iron plates -> 6 steel plate is a lot better than
That's not intended and should be fixed. With ratio 6:1 instead of 3:1. (was a discussion on discord)

KiwiHawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: inefficient recipes.

Post by KiwiHawk »

vaendryl wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:54 pm

the simple early-game conversion is 3 to 1 and the far more elaborate one you have to research (with green science!) is 4 to 1. (and it requires oxygen but eh)

I understand that things change when you start alloying but that's yet another whole tier in research next. at least till then if you want invar you have to use the more wasteful method.

was it not intended for 1 iron plate to turn into 2 hot plates? that struck me as a bit odd to begin with and didn't really expect it. spending 6 iron for 1 steel would be pretty rough till green science though :)
Iron plate to glowing hot iron plate should be 1:1. I've fixed this for the next version. This make the ratio 6:1. In previous versions of Sea Block it was 8:1!

Thanks for reporting these and please do keep letting me know anything else strange that you notice!

Buy me a coffee

vaendryl
Inserter
Inserter

heat pipes and power gen

Post by vaendryl »

isn't it weird that I can research heat pipes and burner/fluid heat source buildings with green science, but I need blue science for the first tier of heat exchanger?

or are there other uses for the heat that I'm just not seeing?

KiwiHawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: heat pipes and power gen

Post by KiwiHawk »

vaendryl wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:05 pm
isn't it weird that I can research heat pipes and burner/fluid heat source buildings with green science, but I need blue science for the first tier of heat exchanger?

or are there other uses for the heat that I'm just not seeing?
I'll get that fixed! Thanks for reporting it.

Buy me a coffee

Return to “Mods”