Thoughts on implementing cargo planes in the AircraftDrones Mod

Topics and discussion about specific mods
IngoKnieto
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Thoughts on implementing cargo planes in the AircraftDrones Mod

Post by IngoKnieto »

I'm currently thinking about how to implement a cargo plane feature in the Aircraft Drones Mod (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/AircraftDrones), and I would like anyones opinion - especially other modders opinion - on my current concept.
My goal is to implement a solution similar to LTN, where you put a requested amount on one airport, and a provided amount on another airport, and if the provided amount matches the request, then a cargo route is made automatically.

This is how that could work, see the picture for more details:
  • 1. A new storage "warehouse" needs to be connected to an airport, that means wire connection between hangar, runway and warehouse.
  • 2. The warehouse has an interface where you need to put the provider signal or the requester signal. In the picture you see a warehouse with a requester signal of 50 and a 4000 iron plates signal, and a warehouse with a provider signal of 3000.
    (The requester signal here is in percent, but that's just an idea I'm testing - it could also be any given amount)
  • 3. If a requester warehouse gets below its limit (in the example 50 % of 4000 iron plates = 2000 iron plates) and a provider warehouse has iron plates above the provided amount (3000 in the example), then the script will look for an airport with a cargo drone in range and start the cargo route.
  • 4. Cargo route means:
    - cargo drone will fly to the provider airport
    - it will land and go to the provider warehouse
    - when its inventory matches the provided amount it will start again and fly to the requester airport
    - it will land and go to the requester warehouse
    - when its inventory is empty it will fly back to its original hangar
With this concept you could bring in ressources from a mine to your main factory or also provide an outpost with necessary items.
The biggest PRO of this concept is that I could program it, the biggest CON probably that I have no idea how to include merged routes in it - there would probably be only one active cargo drone possible between two warehouses.

There might be more cons to this concept, or use-cases for cargo planes I didn't think of, or modding possibilities I'm not aware of... If you are, tell me - that is why I'm writing this post. :)

cargo_drones.png
cargo_drones.png (3.48 MiB) Viewed 934 times
Before you answer with a long feature request list please consider that I'm coding this mod in the evening in my free time after I've already coded things the whole day at work... ;)

PS: Graphics are wip, I need somebody to to that for me...

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Thoughts on implementing cargo planes in the AircraftDrones Mod

Post by Illiander42 »

I'd ask about using this mod for warehouse graphics: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Warehousing (It's MIT lisenced, so should be a formality)

As for request/provide functionality - I'd reccomend doing the same thing LTN does: Requests are negative signals, provides are positive signals, planes move supplies from positive to negative - that way you don't need to mess about using specific wire colours.

Also, if you need a second brain on something, let me know - I'm happy to help :)

Return to “Mods”