[0.11.x] Marathon Mod

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x] Marathon Mod

Post by Choumiko »

Ohz wrote:Can someone fix that? I'm sorry to ask because I have no clue how to programm :( And steam engine is so a pain to handcraft
add a file named data-final-fixes.lua in the folder of the mod, with following line in it

Code: Select all

data.raw["item"]["pipe"].stack_size = 100
This should increase the stacksize to 100, given i made no mistake :D

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

Works perfectly fine !
Thank you very very much !
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

Deathmage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Deathmage »

Just thought I'd mention this, and feel free to ignore my opinion due to not actually having touched the mod yet. However hear me out, this is a great alternative to the base game. However I feel the developers want to let the players feel like they are progressing, which this mod lessens. Yet once you're on your 3+ factory you want more stuff to do in-between. But as a starting point it is far to punishing for new players. And I may not no the indepth parts of it, but as a 'hard' mode of Factorio, this excels (as a concept).

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Deathmage wrote:Just thought I'd mention this, and feel free to ignore my opinion due to not actually having touched the mod yet. However hear me out, this is a great alternative to the base game. However I feel the developers want to let the players feel like they are progressing, which this mod lessens. Yet once you're on your 3+ factory you want more stuff to do in-between. But as a starting point it is far to punishing for new players. And I may not no the indepth parts of it, but as a 'hard' mode of Factorio, this excels (as a concept).
Well it's a mod, it's not forced on you and you don't have to use it.. And likely new players won't know about it until they start searching for mods.

Deathmage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Deathmage »

I forgot to add it, it was a sort of reply to Tyrant597's comment.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Deathmage wrote:I forgot to add it, it was a sort of reply to Tyrant597's comment.
Ah, that makes more sense. :)

Beppe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Beppe »

I can´t get the stack size of pipes to change to 100. I created a file which I named data-final.fixes.lua and I placed it in the marathon mod base folder with only the code data.raw["item"]["pipe"].stack_size = 100 in it.
Anyone who knows what I have done wrong?

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Beppe wrote:I can´t get the stack size of pipes to change to 100. I created a file which I named data-final.fixes.lua
Should be data-final-fixes.lua

Beppe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Beppe »

ah! thank you very much good sir

Envoy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Envoy »

looks nice! what is the reason you decided to change copper like that? do you plan on polishing this mod further? thanks

Alekthefirst
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alekthefirst »

I challenge any player on this forum to combine this mod with hardcorio and oxygen, and put biter settings to max
Factorio is a game about automating everything. One day, i hope i can automate shitty signatures just like this one.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Alekthefirst wrote:I challenge any player on this forum to combine this mod with hardcorio and oxygen, and put biter settings to max
And play listening to Justin Bieber while eating Brussels sprouts seasoned with Marmite :mrgreen: .
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Envoy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Envoy »

ok I've started a marathon map and I have to say it's quite enjoyable EXCEPT the time I had to afk 3x8 minutes because i had to make a steam engine, a boiler, a laboratory, 10 red science packs and an assembling machine from scratch which was an abysmal experience.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

I really like this mod. Its been several months since bgirard has posted anything, and I am not attempting to take over or claim his work, but I did fork and update it with the 100 item stack for pipe fix mentioned in earlier posts. If people want to download the fully packaged version with the pipe fix included, it's here:

https://github.com/Afforess/FactorioMod ... _0.5.2.zip

I also have the full source here: https://github.com/Afforess/FactorioMod-Marathon

I don't know whether I will continue to update or fix the mod, we'll see. I do really enjoy it though, so maybe.

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

Thank you for your work Afforess
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

KeepOnBuilding
Inserter
Inserter

Post by KeepOnBuilding »

I played a game with this mod over the last week.

I really love the new balance, it really makes it feel worth while automating everything.
And the scale of factories is just grand!
Direct transfer from smelter to assembler is essential. Inserter stack size bonus FTW :)

I was also playing on a 24-high map. Which helped in one way… the aliens couldn't surround me :)
It also meant I MUST go through them to find more resources.

But…

At about 18 hours in, I ran out of coal and had to expand to gain more.
And… I found myself surrounded by an absolutely impenetrable wall of spitters.

I had 40 lasers with a couple of upgrades, but the aliens were spawning so quickly I just couldn't make a dent in them. And I was out of coal so couldn't make any more lasers or research any more upgrades. Oops!

I have the feeling that this mod is impossible unless played on peaceful… and where's the fun in that?

I'll give it another go, focusing more on military tech rather than production/utility tech. And maybe give myself richer resource patches. I will also install Natural Evolution, which seems like a perfect match for Marathon. So I can race to Solar and make less pollution.

Thanks for the great mod, bgirard and thanks for the update, Afforess!

Have fun, and
KeepOnBuilding!

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

16 hours in and haven't even attempted to make advanced circuits yet. 10/10 would wait again.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

KeepOnBuilding wrote:I played a game with this mod over the last week.

And… I found myself surrounded by an absolutely impenetrable wall of spitters.

I had 40 lasers with a couple of upgrades, but the aliens were spawning so quickly I just couldn't make a dent in them. And I was out of coal so couldn't make any more lasers or research any more upgrades. Oops!

I have the feeling that this mod is impossible unless played on peaceful… and where's the fun in that?
It is not impossible, but definitely harder. I started a new marathon game recently and made sure to rush for laser turrets and wall techs, so I could wall off enough space and resources early on. From there is was a slow grind until I could unlock tanks, which allow hit-and-run attacks to knock out a biter spawner or two per attack, until they are cleared of the vicinity.

I've got something like 10 trains now trying to keep my 100+ green circuit factories going.

KeepOnBuilding
Inserter
Inserter

Post by KeepOnBuilding »

I have just built a Rocket Defense in my Marathon ribbon map!

The map was 24 blocks high, so I could make a complete circular rail track. I set resources on Very High, Very Big and Good. Which has much less effect on a ribbon map than a normal map, and turned out to be a great balance between "overpowered" and "grindy". I installed Natural Evolution with its default settings so I had time to get over the military research hump. But I still had to power towards Lasers and Upgrades as quickly as I could.

I call the map "Back to the Wall" because it is blocked off to the left with an ocean. I can only expand to the right.

Power generation is all solar with 155 MW of solar panels and 15 GJ of accumulators.
There are 20 depleted oil wells each with 2 Speed 3 modules but no beacons.

I have 170 green circuit assemblers, which is enough to supply either Research (5 red, 6 green and 8 blue assemblers) or Modules (1 each of Speed 3 and Productivity 3) but not both at the same time. If I keep the resources flowing, a rocket defense should theoretically take about 4 hours to build.

I have consumed almost every scrap of copper from blocks 0 to 14,500. And have rail and copper mines out to block 19,000.

The rail network runs in a big loop with a signal or stop every 1000 blocks. Stops are spaced 2000 blocks apart, at 2500, 4500, 6500 etc on the top track and 3500, 5500, 7500 etc on the bottom track. There is a matching signal on the other side of the loop from each stop. This keeps the trains nicely spaced. And ores never have to be moved more than 500 blocks on belts, then they are loaded onto trains and transported right around the loop and back to 3 unloading stations in the main base… I have about 40 trains running round the loop continuously, waiting for 15 seconds at every stop.

Here's a snapshot of the base from blocks 0 to 1600, showing most of the factory:

http://postimg.org/image/rlv6debmb/full/

The image is 13,000 pixels wide, so sorry if it crashes your browser :)

After this marathon build, the 0.12 feature I am most looking forward to is the personal roboport. Being able to place blueprints as you walk around without needing to place a roboport, power it, place a chest, fill the chest, place bots, place blueprint, wait for build, wait for recharge, do it all again… will be 6 flavours of awesome!!!

I would also LOVE a destruction robot which destroyed rocks.

Thanks again for the great mod, bgirard and thanks for the update, Afforess!

Have fun, and
KeepOnBuilding!

bgirard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bgirard »

Wow congrats! What was your total play time to your first rocket defense?

Return to “Mods”