[MOD 0.16] Compact Power

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Lime
Inserter
Inserter

[MOD 0.16] Compact Power

Post by Lime »

This mod adds 4 more tiers of compact versions of solar panels and accumulators.

This is what I lacked most after a few hours of playing this game. But God bless the Team for the LUA! :mrgreen: - I've made this mod in under 30 minutes :)

Each tier cost 4x solar panels/accus of previous tier plus some circuits and provides 4x times more energy.
Recipes
Each tier also have corresponding research.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/zeeLime/CompactPower
Last edited by Lime on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 9 times in total.

webber
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.6] Compact Power

Post by webber »

Lime wrote:This mod adds 4 more tiers of compact versions of solar panels.

TODO:
- Balancing, maybe? Should I make this 10x solars instead of 13x? Or 12x will do better?
Ehh maybe max 200% but not 1300%^4 for tier 5.

10x has nothing to do with balance, its straight OP.

Lime
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lime »

webber wrote: Ehh maybe max 200% but not 1300%^4 for tier 5.

Sorry, but where exactly is that OP? To get the named x10 energy you actually have to spend x13 resources and then some more. You will actually be getting 0.77 of the energy per resource compared to default solars, gaining decreased space requirements instead. I see no OP in that.

Have you even checked the recipes before posting? ;)

webber
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by webber »

Lime wrote:

Sorry, but where exactly is that OP? To get the named x10 energy you actually have to spend x13 resources and then some more. You will actually be getting 0.77 of the energy per resource compared to default solars, gaining decreased space requirements instead. I see no OP in that.

i have.

just imagine a normal solar panel being 60kw*13*13*13*13*13 ? its called op :) no offense :)

Nikey646
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nikey646 »

webber wrote:
Lime wrote:

i have.

just imagine a normal solar panel being 60kw*13*13*13*13*13 ? its called op :) no offense :)
It takes 3 Additional Solar panels of the Previous Tier (Tier 0 being a 60kw Solar panel), to generate *10 more power then the previous tier. It would take around 28.5k solar panels to produce a single Tier 4. If you were to place, and connect all 28.5k Solar panels, you would be generating more power (Around 1713.66MWs, if my math is done correctly (60*13*13*13*13/1000)). While i do agree the more compressed the solar panel is, it should require more of the previous Tier, to balance the reduce the space you would save, while generating less power then the full amount of Solar Panels used... (This is only taking into account the Solar Panels Portion of the recipe!)

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

I think you should rebalance the solar panels, its too compact. i would go along 60/120/180/240/300 with less expensive upgrades. Not to mention it would be pointless to craft the mk4 and mk5. 1000 solar panels produce 60mw, it would take me 84 substations to make that with default. But convert that to mk2 rounded up, i would end up using only 8 substations and produce 46mw, scale it back up to 1000 mk2's and it will be 600 mw. That would be all a super base would need.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Lime
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lime »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:I think you should rebalance the solar panels, its too compact. i would go along 60/120/180/240/300 with less expensive upgrades. Not to mention it would be pointless to craft the mk4 and mk5. 1000 solar panels produce 60mw, it would take me 84 substations to make that with default. But convert that to mk2 rounded up, i would end up using only 8 substations and produce 46mw, scale it back up to 1000 mk2's and it will be 600 mw. That would be all a super base would need.
How about the x4 step-up in cost and production? When with 4 panels of the previous tier + 12 circuits for each tier you can craft 1 panel of next tier. That way you spend no extra panels, only extra circuits, (which basically boils down to saving 5 steel and 3 circuits off the cost of single basic panel), and "compactness scale" would then look like this: 1/4/16/64/256 panels in 1 with power generation of 60 kW / 240 kW / 960 kW / 3.8 MW / 15.3 MW

Does that look better?

Also, I want to make the step-up value configurable. And probably with "easy" and "hard" options: on "easy" you invest with extra circuits, on "hard" - with one extra solar panel per tier.

PS. All above mentioned discussed math of "cost and production" will also apply to compact accumulators/boilers/generators...

TiTaN_3000
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TiTaN_3000 »

i think your Mod is great !
Why should you change it? If someone thinks its unbalanced then he can use bobs mods.

But your mod is the 1/10/100/1000.. solars in one ! The cost is rising exponentially, the balance is fine.

Please keep it as it is.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Nice idea for a mod. Not OP at all.

I won't use the mod, because i like to have large solar farms, but if this mod is anything, then it's underpowered. I would like to see someone make 5 mk5 solar panels and then say it was worth it resource wise. But that's not the point of this mod. The point is to make everything more compact and easier to defend and the mod does a wondefull job at that.

Merry Christmas :)
Waste of bytes : P

rioninnimo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rioninnimo »

A version of Compact Solars minecraft mod for Factorio? I approve. +1
Balance.Changing some numbers in mod files really , really easy. So default is *10 *100 *1000 *10000 compactness . With 30% more panels per kW each tier. Seems about right , i guess. Maybe i decrease it to 20 % panels more per kW for each next tier , maybe not , but just in my personal version of mod. The default seems fine.

Vittorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vittorio »

Lime wrote:This mod adds 4 more tiers of compact versions of solar panels.

It will also later add compact versions of: boiler, generator, accumulator

This is what I lacked most after a few hours of playing this game. But God bless the Team for the LUA! :mrgreen: - I've made this mod in under 30 minutes :)

Each tier cost 13x solar panels of previous tier plus some circuits and provides 10x times more energy. That way you have not-so-obvious choice between "less space" and "more power".
Screenshot
Recipes
Each tier also have corresponding research.

TODO:
- Balancing, maybe? Should I make this 10x solars instead of 13x? Or 12x will do better?
- Find a way to make it configurable
- Add compact versions of: boiler, generator, accumulator
- Add Steam Turbine, Diesel Generator
Thank you a lot for this useful mod! When do you plan to add some new Tiers for other useful things like Accumulator etc?

DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRBLN »

Please add accums

DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRBLN »

Please, could you update it to 0.11.16?

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

goooood mod!!!!

jgntrugytub
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jgntrugytub »

I think i could add the acc's quite easily to this mod since its more or less just a copy paste job. However im not sure if this is allowed and ok with the author?

Edit: I managed to get accu's mk2 - 5 working, however im struggling to come up with similar quality icons as the current mod has for solar power units. I could upload a CP version with my current bad icons, but will only do so after the author has given me the ok.

filippe999
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by filippe999 »

This reminds me of Compact solars from minecraft, can you make it so the amount of solar panels used equals the amount of energy produced, the loss is not necessary

MtNak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MtNak »

Thanks a lot for the mod Lime. It's really useful. But i think a 12 or 11 normal solar panels it's better.

Would you make the TO DO list for us, non modders please? The compact versions of boiler, generator, accu most of all :) Thank you

kurtwj
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kurtwj »

How do i download this Mod?

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

Hey, great mod! Is new version coming at some point? Upgrading accumulators would be pretty essential too :)

regarding balance - i think everything is fine, 13 panels for a better panel works great ))

Thank you for your awesome work!

psihius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by psihius »

Thanks for the mod, it's great.
I think it's pretty balanced at this point.

I know one thing for sure - combined with the Marathon mod - good luck getting to the lvl2 solar panels in 30 hours. Higher tiers? OMG!

Return to “Mods”