[MOD 0.11.x] Mohole 0.0.3 - Updated graphics

Topics and discussion about specific mods
starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[MOD 0.11.x] Mohole 0.0.3 - Updated graphics

Post by starholme »

Introduces a new form of endgame mining and power production that is massively polluting, but can provide a steady source of materials and power. Uses the impressive heat resistance of alien artifacts to the players advantage. The player needs to deal with the vast quantities of waste stone this mod will create. Strongly advise looking for the landfill mod: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=4973

Download:
https://github.com/Starholme/factorio-M ... _0.0.3.zip

I'm interested in helping with the mod development and design, but don't have the free time to do it all myself. I've already set up a github repo and wiki for the mod: https://github.com/Starholme/factorio-MoHole.

Graphics needed! Please see https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =15&t=7537 if you want to help.

Mohole
See http://kimstanleyrobinson.info/w/index. ... tle=Mohole for the inspiration. A very large, very, very deep hole bored into the planet's surface. Useful as a form of power generation and resources. Extremely expensive, extremely polluting.

Current features:
* Moholes produce lava
* Lava is processed in the crystallizer
* Lava + water -> mountains of stone and hot water
* Lava + iron plate -> stone and iron ores
* Lava + copper plate -> stone and copper ores

ToDo:
* Graphics
- I'm useless in this department. I would greatly appreciate anyones effort in replacing all the stock images I'm using in the mod.
- Ideally, the mohole should be very large, maybe 10x10 tiles. So if you make a graphic, keep it in mind.
* Initial delay for boring, should not be able to produce lava for a while after initial placement

Version History:
0.0.3:
* Crystallizer graphic added. Thanks to YuokiTani for the great work!
0.0.2:
* Mohole needs high power consumption, high pollution, high idle power - Done
* Hot water recipes need to be balanced to ~1.5x power return(if 1 lava costs 1MJ to create, running the hot water through steam engines should make ~1.5MJ) - Done
0.0.1:
* Initial release
Last edited by starholme on Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Devildog
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.x] Mohole 0.0.2

Post by Devildog »

Sounds like it would be cool to use.
Check Out Factorio Mod Madness 2.0 Here : http://bit.ly/1afTDl0
Mod Madness ModPack

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.x] Mohole 0.0.2

Post by n9103 »

- Stone creation must not be faster than a fast inserter can run
I'm not sure why you would limit it so low, unless the behavior is undesired.
Except for a 1x1 building, it's reasonable to expect at least two sets (likely opposite sides) of two inserters to be working.
Limiting yourself to ~3x fast inserter speed would probably suffice, since that would now approach the maximum reasonable capacity of a yellow belt, assuming both sides are used, and the inserters never stop working.

But then again, since this is intended to be a very late game project, no reason to limit yourself to yellow belts, and *definitely* no reason to stop at one inserter.

It sounds very interesting, and I'll probably look at this when I go for my next full game when I finish my current one.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.x] Mohole 0.0.3

Post by starholme »

n9103 wrote:
- Stone creation must not be faster than a fast inserter can run
I'm not sure why you would limit it so low, unless the behavior is undesired.
Except for a 1x1 building, it's reasonable to expect at least two sets (likely opposite sides) of two inserters to be working.
Limiting yourself to ~3x fast inserter speed would probably suffice, since that would now approach the maximum reasonable capacity of a yellow belt, assuming both sides are used, and the inserters never stop working.

But then again, since this is intended to be a very late game project, no reason to limit yourself to yellow belts, and *definitely* no reason to stop at one inserter.

It sounds very interesting, and I'll probably look at this when I go for my next full game when I finish my current one.
Thanks for your interest!
I think your point about multiple inserters is good. I'm removing that todo item. Please let me know what you think after you try it out.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.x] Mohole 0.0.3 - Updated graphics

Post by n9103 »

It's going to be awhile, but will do. :)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ErkCurley
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ErkCurley »

I love the mod, works great with Dytech and Uranium Power! The Mod was just what I was looking for in a mod and it has some really awesome inspiration. Thank You for making the mod and I can't wait to see what it becomes.

SKleen75
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SKleen75 »

Hi.
I love you mod.
Just saying.

Greedings
SKleen75
YuokiTani Fanboy.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

Hi,

your mod is quite awesome, but has one bug I'm clearly using : you can create lava in any crystaliser !
now, I know, I'm not supposed to do that but seriously, 1000 polution ?
in the beginning of the item, ok, digging into the ground is not ecofriendly but ... after the hole is dug, the polution should drop !
and maybe, make the lava creation a little bit slower (lava don't move very quickly, even when pushed by a pump (and I don't remember how much energy the mohole needs but it should be a lot ! (at least 10 MW I think, depending on how deep the hole is)

oh, and maybe, make it so that we cannot remove it unless we fill it, (with a lot of stone !)

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

This is just my thoughts on the mohole, not even sure if it can be done like this, but something I would love to see. This mod is good as is though, I like the pollution output as it'll drive biters nuts.

I think it might be more interesting if you had to feed it explosives & stone instead of water. The cost of explosives is mostly petrol & water which are infinite without expansion. Throw in tree farm to make coal from wood and then the cost is no different from water, but a bit more expensive as it cuts into your oil & coal. Feeding it stone serves two purposes, the first being to obviously help get rid of the tons of stone and the other being "for" keeping the mohole from collapsing.

As to the lava side, I'm torn. On one hand the flexibility it gives is really nice to have. On the other hand, I think a really slow dig time with large yields would be more fun. The timing & yields would have to be balanced so as to not outperform mining. I don't know if you can get map settings in the mod to alter the outputs at all, but it would be interesting to keep the mohole yields in line with map settings.

That said, great mod & l rather like it. I'll probably be using in my series because why not! The mohole is a great way to have a constant flow of ores between train shipments.

omega_haxors
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omega_haxors »

I like how this mod can be used as both an alternative power source and also a source for pesudo-infinite resources, but there's one thing that really bugs me:

The mohole is a lot more expensive, both on power and resources, but is shares the exact same recipes with the crystallizer. Because the crystallizer is a lot cheaper to make and run, it's completely pointless to make a mohole. I would like to see this fixed.

I would also LOVE to see mod support as well, especially with Bob's stuff. Being able to crystallize copper and gold, among various other things would be very helpful.

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

Alrighty, went ahead and did the fixes for the crystallizer & mohole sharing the same category. Below is the entire contents for each fixed file.
Crystallizer and Mohole Recipe fixes

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

Thanks VampiricDust, I've been stupid busy in real life, no time to maintain this mod...
vampiricdust wrote:Alrighty, went ahead and did the fixes for the crystallizer & mohole sharing the same category. Below is the entire contents for each fixed file.
Crystallizer and Mohole Recipe fixes

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

StanFear wrote:now, I know, I'm not supposed to do that but seriously, 1000 polution ?
in the beginning of the item, ok, digging into the ground is not ecofriendly but ... after the hole is dug, the polution should drop !
No, not really. A mohole exchanges heat from the core of the planet with the atmosphere, greatly increasing the temperature. They are a direct assistance to global warming.

I understand mainstream science considers global warming to be driven by 'pollution' - so it makes sense that a mohole would produce 'pollution' after its construction.

TheToric
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheToric »

any chance of this getting updated anymore?

fireball
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fireball »

So, "lava plus plate" = stone + ores?

This means you put plates in and get ores back out, meaning you have to smelt them twice?

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

fireball wrote:So, "lava plus plate" = stone + ores?

This means you put plates in and get ores back out, meaning you have to smelt them twice?
Yes, but you get out more ore than you put in.

Return to “Mods”