[MOD 1.1.x] Wood to Oil Processing

Topics and discussion about specific mods
FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[MOD 1.1.x] Wood to Oil Processing

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Name: Wood to Oil Processing
Summary: Adds a couple advanced recipes that allows converting of wood into oil products. Uses all vanilla items & fluids; no custom items or fluids added that need new chains to deal with. Does have some basis in reality. Can optionally be used along side the existing Wood gasification mod.
License: GNU GPLv3
Initial Release date: 2019/07/12
Version: 0.0.5
Current Version Release date: 2022/05/31
Tested with Factorio version: 1.1.59
Category: Oil
Mod page: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Wood2OilProcessing

Mod inspired by request (viewtopic.php?f=33&t=72721).

Adds two new recipes used in chemical plants with associated tech unlocks for use in converting unused wood into oil products. This mod uses all vanilla items and fluids, adding nothing new that requires additional logistic chains to deal with. Both techs for unlocks require only red & green science packs.

First tech and recipe, Advanced Wood gasification, is available after researching Oil Processing and unlocks its associated recipe. Put 6 wood into a chemical lab it it'll produce 35 petroleum gas.

The second tech and recipe, Advance Wood to Oil Processing, is available after researching the previous tech and Sulfuric Acid and unlocks its associated recipe. With 6 wood and 10 sulfuric acid, it will produce 15 crude oil (with a little sulfuric acid left over that you need to route back around).

This means that you can take wood into the Advanced Wood Gasification, produce petroleum gas for sulfuric acid development, and then feed this into the Advanced Wood to oil Processing with more wood to get crude oil out. (Please note, the wood to oil process is not meant to be self sufficient. You'll still need to use the wood gasification or oil pumped from wells and processed into petroleum gas to get enough sulfuric acid.)

Both processes are real and are "scaled" to game values (minus an ingredient for the second recipe as it's not readily available already in game), but let me know if you see anything balance breaking.
Last edited by FuryoftheStars on Tue May 31, 2022 6:33 am, edited 9 times in total.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] Wood to Oil Processing

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Updated to version 0.0.2.

Made some major rebalances of the mod. See new description.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Updated to 0.0.3.

Minor tweak to Advanced Wood to Oil Processing recipe to consume more sulfuric acid and complete in less time.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

the description sounds really nice, and it probably would be quite helpful when playing a map with some mods that produce lots of wood. but currently, i have some problems when i try to use this mod in my modpack:

first of all, factorio just was updated to 0.18 and this mod is only available for 0.17. will you update it ?

my second problem is that all my attempts at using the production chains around the "advanced wood to oil" recipe gave no or even negative amounts of products: it costs 8 wood and 8 sulfuric acid (and 4 acid working as catalyst only) to make 7 crude oil, but even with cracking, 8 sulfuric acid are made from 11 crude oil. thus i would use 50% more petrol/sulfor than i get from the recipe. the only use of this recipe is when i need crude oil (for some other mod), or to get heavy or light oil (by using the other recipe "wood->petrol" to make petrol and sulfur), with the little petrol from this recipe only as a small "bonus" (only as byproduct when i need one of the other liquids/gases) and never when i want to produce petrol. is this intended ? (reading the description again and carefully, it probably is intended to need the chain of both recipes)

and finally the third problem: the description says "Can optionally be used along side the existing Wood gasification mod." but when i install both mods, techs and recipes overwrite each other :-( thus yes, it can be used "alongside" the other mod (without crashing), but it also changes techs to be inconsistent and removes an important recipe of the other mod. is this intended ?
in detail: the prerequisite for "Advanced Wood Gasification" is changed from vanilla Oil processing to (additionally) "Wood gasification process" from the "Wood Gasification" mod, its cost is changed and the only recipe you get from the tech is overwritten and thus no longer accessible, making the tech redundant. the recipe "Advanced Wood Gasification" from this mod (makes 25 petrol from 10 wood) overwrites/replaces the recipe with the same name in the other mod, and thus the "Wood Gasification" mod now is no longer able to make Heavyoil and Lightoil with that recipe (using only the other mod gives 35 heavy, 15 light, 20 petrol for 28 wood and 50 water). is this made on purpose for balancing, to no longer have a recipe in the other mod that gives heavy+light+petrol?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Anson wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:45 am
the description sounds really nice, and it probably would be quite helpful when playing a map with some mods that produce lots of wood. but currently, i have some problems when i try to use this mod in my modpack:

first of all, factorio just was updated to 0.18 and this mod is only available for 0.17. will you update it ?

my second problem is that all my attempts at using the production chains around the "advanced wood to oil" recipe gave no or even negative amounts of products: it costs 8 wood and 8 sulfuric acid (and 4 acid working as catalyst only) to make 7 crude oil, but even with cracking, 8 sulfuric acid are made from 11 crude oil. thus i would use 50% more petrol/sulfor than i get from the recipe. the only use of this recipe is when i need crude oil (for some other mod), or to get heavy or light oil (by using the other recipe "wood->petrol" to make petrol and sulfur), with the little petrol from this recipe only as a small "bonus" (only as byproduct when i need one of the other liquids/gases) and never when i want to produce petrol. is this intended ? (reading the description again and carefully, it probably is intended to need the chain of both recipes)

and finally the third problem: the description says "Can optionally be used along side the existing Wood gasification mod." but when i install both mods, techs and recipes overwrite each other :-( thus yes, it can be used "alongside" the other mod (without crashing), but it also changes techs to be inconsistent and removes an important recipe of the other mod. is this intended ?
in detail: the prerequisite for "Advanced Wood Gasification" is changed from vanilla Oil processing to (additionally) "Wood gasification process" from the "Wood Gasification" mod, its cost is changed and the only recipe you get from the tech is overwritten and thus no longer accessible, making the tech redundant. the recipe "Advanced Wood Gasification" from this mod (makes 25 petrol from 10 wood) overwrites/replaces the recipe with the same name in the other mod, and thus the "Wood Gasification" mod now is no longer able to make Heavyoil and Lightoil with that recipe (using only the other mod gives 35 heavy, 15 light, 20 petrol for 28 wood and 50 water). is this made on purpose for balancing, to no longer have a recipe in the other mod that gives heavy+light+petrol?
Hi, sorry, I had actually left the game some time back, but am looking at coming back.

I'll have to look into the issue you note for 2. This may be a result of some balance changes in game, especially after the 0.17.60 update (which is when I stopped playing). (EDIT: Took some time to remind myself, including reading the old request thread, but yes, this is intended. You should use both recipes provided by this mod together. It was dual purpose using up excess wood and allowing you to sort of boot strap into oil products without needing an actual oil outpost.)

As for 3, this looks to be an issue that cropped up after the fact. It looks like after I stopped playing, the mod author of the wood gasification mod added a new recipe that used the same exact name, hence the overwriting. (EDIT: Yup, that's exactly what happened. That mod's author added that recipe to their mod right as 0.17.60 had dropped, so I never took the time to double check compatibility. I'll fix that.)

This will take me a bit of time to work out.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 1.1.x] Wood to Oil Processing

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Updated to Factorio 1.1.

Compatibility with Wood Gasification mod fixed.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 1.1.x] Wood to Oil Processing

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Updated to 0.0.5.

Basic balance changes: decreased input requirements for both recipes, and increased output yields for both.

The wood to oil recipe is still not self sufficient (you can't take its oil output, put it through oil processing, and get enough petrol (even with cracking) out to make enough sulfuric acid for a next full round of wood to oil processing) and this is done on purpose.

Return to “Mods”