Cursed Exp - Main

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Qcor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Cursed Exp - Main

Post by Qcor »

I feel like it might be good to explain what I mean by and why I suggest reducing flat dmg reduction so I made a graph to illustrate the problem here.

Lets assume that biter deals 5 dmg per hit, and we have different kinds of armor.
damage.jpg
damage.jpg (101.76 KiB) Viewed 8336 times
As you can see if you have 0 flat dmg reduction then the % reduction plays a big role in mitigating dmg.
On the other hand if you have 4 flat dmg reduction (which comes close to our incoming 5dmg) then our % reduction becomes completely meaningless. It basically doesn't matter if you have 4,10% or 4,90% because you will take almost the same dmg in the end.

That's why flat dmg reduction is so OP comparing to %reduction.
Now my armor is 6.66 / 52%... and this 52% doesn't even matter because 6.66 is just too much. It could be 0% and probably it still would be OP.

L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by L0771 »

Qcor wrote:Overall I'd maybe nerf a bit blood income from fishers but not much.. 10 maybe 20%.
Ok, for next version :)
Qcor wrote:Overall it definitely has a good starting point, but the dmg ramps up too fast imo.
For the next version i want downgrade dps ~ 30% and give very low attack speed, but with a real scale (not like version 0.1)
Qcor wrote:- Armor - the flat dmg reduction on physical is too big early game. I could tank 5 small biters with no additional hp regen.. sooo.. yea.. I bit OP this early.(I don't even have blue science pack yet)...
Sorry, my bad, i give 30% of base reduction, it will be ~20%, like Iron Armor.
Heavy armor is so expensive, but cursed armor lvl 1 is between iron armor and heavy armor.
Qcor wrote:I feel like it might be good to explain what I mean by and why I suggest reducing flat dmg reduction so I made a graph to illustrate the problem here.
WOW that changes all my numbers, and maybe, for my mod, flat reduction isn't a good idea... or maybe a low flat reduction with %...

i don't know, i thought it % gives a chance to reduce the flat dmg, or something like...

alcan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alcan »

L0771 wrote:
alcan wrote:Quick question, if i take the parts and talents out of the virtual inventory, how do i put them back? xD
Cursed Options > Items in inventory [unchecked]
And this options will activate if you takes a talent or talent part, i'll add some options at right (like all on, all off, only talent parts, only talents... ideas?)
(I tried that but it just automatically turned on again?) NEVER MIND i didnt click "SURE" and "VERY SURE" xD

Also yeah, fishers are OP as hell, i have like 7 of them after a good 20 hours or so, theyre all level 18+ and im getting about 1k t1 talents/maybe a hour? ;D

My Current Talents and Skills after roughly 32 hours (I have like 6 unused mines atm xD)
Tool and Armor at 250 = amazing stuff xD
Click Me

varn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by varn »

Fishers are really strong, you can just snowball the game with them. I have 5 or 6 right now and they just keep making blood like maniacs, I have 2 exchangers, one is constantly making t1-s without stoppid, the other is making 2 while the first one makes 3. Though if you really think about it you NEED this much blood. You can convert these into more fishers, or very high level armor/tool/bow fast, but if you really want your skills to go high level you need to dump a ton of talents in t1.
I'm 10h into my current game and I'm pocket crafting a lot, because with the other mods there are some really expensive stuff in them that I can't afford not to make with the chance of getting one more for free.
Current crafting level 35 (12% chance for extra item) and I have +1270% xp, but getting that 990xp for next level still takes long.
To my point:
(TLDR:)
Fishers aren't op, because you NEED a ton of t1 talents, just the conversion rate needs some overthinking. Right now you can just rush fishers early, then you just wall in for a few hours and emerge superstrong with upgraded weapon armor and whatnot.
I believe right now t3 is the strongest talent tier, I'm thinking of buying a revive from t6 sooner or later, but I'm a rather careful player so it's not really necessary. T4 seems too expensive to be worth it. I'd rather not judge T5 because I haven't tried it yet, but the price-reward seems reasonable for that.

Anyways SUGGESTION: make t3 more expensive, t4 cheaper (maybe swap the two tiers? though then you would lose your starting one free building)
QUESTION: would it be possible to make crafting skill reduce crafting time as it levels? For example every 10 crafting level reduces crafting time by 0,1 sec, but can't go below 0,5 sec or 50% of original crafting time.

Qcor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Qcor »

After rethinking it once more I agree that you need that much blood. You just need a TON of T1 to build all you want.
You probably could leave it like that but under one condition: rebalance armor/weapon.

Currently fishers snowball really fast and that makes you really strong very early in the game. I mean if you initially invest in fishers up to 4 maybe 5 of them, then after about 4h of play you can obliterate most of the biter bases (except of those with big worms).
You just shouldn't be able to do that that early into the game.
L0771 wrote:WOW that changes all my numbers, and maybe, for my mod, flat reduction isn't a good idea... or maybe a low flat reduction with %...
i don't know, i thought it % gives a chance to reduce the flat dmg, or something like...
Yea, it's not that easy to see, that's why I made a graph :)
It's not that flat reduction is OP in itself. It becomes OP when its value is getting close to incoming dmg value. It is really hard to balance that stuff.
I'll try to help a bit by analyzing how, roughly, it should scale.

The most important thing is the damage calculation formula. In this example lets assume ammo dmg = 10, target has 2/40% armor

1) take the ammo dmg value and reduce it by %reduction value. Our example: 10 * (1 - 40%) = 6
2) take the result and reduce it by flat dmg reduction. Our example: 6 - 2 = 4
3)
If the result of 2) is >=1 then this is you final damage taken. Our example it is = 4.
If the result of 2) is < 1 then it is 1 / (2 - result)

Second most important thing - know your enemy and their armor :) Lets assume there are no additional mods changing enemies (you just cant balance this vs all mods).. so only vanilla enemies. I did some digging into config files and found this:

Code: Select all

Small biter         Medium biter         Big biter
damage              6                   15                  30
armor              0/0%                4/0%                 8/0%
So, to simply put it, if your ammo dmg is much higher than the armor of biters then your weapon is probably OP. It is absolutely crucial to keep your dmg relatively close to your current enemy armor... so about 5,6 maybe 7 mid-game, and 9,10 maybe a bit more late game.
Why? Lets look at an example to illustrate how your effective dmg ramps up at that point.

Enemy: big biter, armor 8/0%
Our weapon: 8 dmg ammo, 10 rounds per second ( theoretical DPS 8*10 = 80dps )
Effective dps: 1/(2-0) dmg, 10 rounds per second = 5 dps

Now lets say you lvl up your ammo and it's now 9dmg instead of 8.
Our weapon: 9 dmg ammo, 10 rounds per second (theoretical DPS 9*10 = 90dps )
Effective dps: 1 dmg (different formula already!) , 10 rounds per second = 10 dps

And another lvl up - from 9 dmg to 10dmg:
Our weapon: 10 dmg ammo, 10 rounds per second (theoretical DPS 9*10 = 100dps )
Effective dps: 2 dmg, 10 rounds per second = 20 dps

As you can see the THEORETICAL DPS scales up linearly with your ammo.. 8dmg -> 80dps, 9dmg -> 90dps, 10dmg->100dps
But the EFFECTIVE DPS scales almost exponentially when you are crossing the ammo_dmg=armor_flat_reduction threshold... it went 5->10->20... later it becomes more linear, as shown below:
damage2.jpg
damage2.jpg (62.5 KiB) Viewed 8305 times
Of course it will look similar for medium biter (armor 4/0%) but the threshold will lower.

You mentioned that you want to make low firing rate but high dmg weapon. Well.. that would eliminate this problem because you kinda SKIP this threshold and your weapon scales almost linearly from the start. This would be easy but do you really want to do that? High dmg ammo makes it so the flat dmg reduction is meaningless. For example if your ammo does 50dmg then it really doesn't matter if biter has 0, 4 or even 8 armor.
Also that weapon would be weak vs high %reduction targets but afaik there are no such enemies/buildings in vanilla... but in mods.. well, that's another story.

L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by L0771 »

Ok, i have time now.
Fishers, fishers, fishers...
- Now fishers produces 18.75% of blood
- Modified x2.5 experience bonus of fishers from explore level
- Modified x2.5 experience bonus of fishers from talent

With this all fishers have less production, but with more exploration level and fisher upgrade, take more exp.
~75 min 1 T3
~50 min 2 T3
~40 min 3 T3
~40 min 4 T3
And from here less than 30 min...
But can be lower, this is without stats, or upgrades.
alcan wrote:
  • Mines: 6
    • Cursed Iron Miner: 14
    • Cursed Copper Miner: 14
    • Cursed Iron Mine 2: 14
    • Cursed Iron Mine 3: 14
    • Cursed Copper Mine 2: 13
ok :P 6 mines, i count 5...
varn wrote:make t3 more expensive, t4 cheaper (maybe swap the two tiers? though then you would lose your starting one free building)
I need sooome time for this... Or not, in the last change i've modified all functions to spend talents (because virtual inventory), with some magic numbers i can do it :D
varn wrote:QUESTION: would it be possible to make crafting skill reduce crafting time as it levels? For example every 10 crafting level reduces crafting time by 0,1 sec, but can't go below 0,5 sec or 50% of original crafting time.
Isn't possible, you can see this in version 0.0.1, but this change is for all players, isn't compatible with MP. This mod is doing it, if you want crafting speed, and the idea is compatible with MP (because technologies are for all players).. i mean, must be compatible :P
Qcor wrote:(you just cant balance this vs all mods)
First this... I'm thinking to do a function to take result_units and autoplace from every spawner, hp and armor for every bitter spawned... is possible :D
But it need a lot of time, i don't have, is only a proyect, like a cursed tile where cursed builds takes more exp (and cursed water)... and sword (xd) and others stuff...
Qcor wrote:You mentioned that you want to make low firing rate but high dmg weapon. Well.. that would eliminate this problem because you kinda SKIP this threshold and your weapon scales almost linearly from the start. This would be easy but do you really want to do that? High dmg ammo makes it so the flat dmg reduction is meaningless. For example if your ammo does 50dmg then it really doesn't matter if biter has 0, 4 or even 8 armor.
Also that weapon would be weak vs high %reduction targets but afaik there are no such enemies/buildings in vanilla... but in mods.. well, that's another story.
Low firerate isn't low dps.
If have 50 dmg and 1 arrow/sec, is only 50 dps, but if have 1 dmg and 50 arrows / sec, is 50 dps
Against a armor 2/5%, the first give 48 * 95% = 45.6 dmg / arrow = 45.6 dps
And the second gives 0.5 * 95% = 0.475 dmg / arrow = 23.75 dps, i think the vanilla rapid weapons aren't balanced with that.
Qcor wrote:armor
With this, i think the cursed armor must start from 1 - 2 (max 2) flat and 5-10% reduction. Flat reduction scales slowly and percent reduction scales a bit faster (to 10/55%), this in a lineal function from 0 to 100, after 100, flat reduction scales faster and percent reduction slowly, to finish something like 40/80% at lvl 250, it's ok?

Qcor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Qcor »

L0771 wrote: If have 50 dmg and 1 arrow/sec, is only 50 dps, but if have 1 dmg and 50 arrows / sec, is 50 dps
Against a armor 2/5%, the first give 48 * 95% = 45.6 dmg / arrow = 45.6 dps
And the second gives 0.5 * 95% = 0.475 dmg / arrow = 23.75 dps
emm.. this is wrong. You have to calculate %reduction first, then subtract flat reduction, not the other way around.

50dmg at 1/s - vs 2/5%
50*0.95= 47.5
47.5 - 2 = 45.5
it is >=1 so 45.5 is our effective dmg and our effective dps is 45.5 * 1/s - 45.5 dps

1dmg at 50/s - vs 2/5%
1*0.95 = 0.95
0.95 - 2 = -1.05
it is < 1 so the dmg is 1/(2 - -1.05) = 1/(3.05) = 0.327 effective dmg and our effective dps is 0.327*50/s = 16.35 dps.

L0771 wrote:..i think the vanilla rapid weapons aren't balanced with that
Vanilla ammo is well balanced vs vanilla (and ONLY VANILLA) biters by using the thresholds I described before. Look:
1) early game - you start with 4dmg (soon 5 with piercing magazine) against biters with 0/0% armor which is OK.
2) mid game - if you DIDN'T upgrade your ammo then your effective dps vs medium biters will suck because of 4/0% armor. It will be just horrible, no matter of firing rate. Conveniently, using only green science packs you can bump your ammo to 6-7dmg which. compared to 4dmg reduction, is just enough to be fairly good vs medium biter BUT ALSO it will still suck vs big ones. Even with blue science pack you have only 8dmg ammo which is still not enough to deal with them.
4) late game with best science packs you can bump it from 8 to 9 which DOUBLES your effective dps vs big ones, which is just enough to stand a chance. Finally 11 to makes things easier.

So as you can see they always balance in this sweet spot close to the thresholds mentioned in my prev post.

What will happen if you add new type of stronger biter? Lets say with 11/0% or 8/30% armor.. then your fully upgraded weapon will be CRAP again because this will again put you slightly below the threshold. This enemy would require you to have ammo with about 16 dmg to be any good.

L0771 wrote: With this, i think the cursed armor must start from 1 - 2 (max 2) flat and 5-10% reduction. Flat reduction scales slowly and percent reduction scales a bit faster (to 10/55%), this in a lineal function from 0 to 100, after 100, flat reduction scales faster and percent reduction slowly, to finish something like 40/80% at lvl 250, it's ok?
Small biters deal 6dmg so the OP armor IMO (that's just eyeballing it, I can be very wrong here. Definitely needs testing) would start probably at about 4/0%, or 3/20%.. sth around that. Therefore in the early game you shouldn't go beyond that.

Medium biters deal 15dmg so the OP armor would probably begin around 12/0% or 11/10% or 10/15% or 9/20% or 8/25% or 7/30%.. sth like that. Anything more than that and it will be too strong vs medium biters.
You mention 10/55% - in this armor you will stand and laugh at medium biters. I'm almost sure you could tank them with basic hp regen... so for mid-game definitely OP.

Big biters deal 30dmg and you want them to be a challenge.. so I'd start the late game somewhere around 8/30% then slowly progress thru 9/35%, 9/40% (at this point medium biters dmg falls below threshold and they are no longed a threat).
Now you have to ask yourself - how OP should cursed armor be? If you want to easily tank big biters in very late game then your CAP should be around 15/50%, or 12/60%, 9/70% - all that will allow you to tank them no problem.
If you want them to still be a challenge even in very late game then you probably shouldn't ever go above 10/50%.

IMPORTANT NOTE: ALL THAT ASSUMES THAT YOU USE PURE ARMOR without any upgrades like shields+reactor. In case you do those numbers are probably too high.

Qcor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Qcor »

Just as an additional point of reference I tested how good is my armor currently.

Almost 8h into the game, armor lvl 100 so 15.5/65% with regen lvl 7 (no additional upgrades inside armor)

I went to biter base and stood there doing nothing waiting for the moment when there will be enough biters to break my tank.
Soo.. I can tank 33small biters + 12medium biters and they BARELY scratch me. Probably it would take at least twice as much to be any threat.
Not sure about big ones (haven't seen one yet) but it definitely feels OP right now... and that's only lvl 100.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

There's a big jump in received damage between medium and big.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Qcor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Qcor »

n9103 wrote:There's a big jump in received damage between medium and big.
yes but not big enough to matter in this case.

Look: 30dmg per hit, with 15.5/65% armor it will be 30*0.35 = 10.5, then subtract 15.5 (10.5-15.5 = -5). It is <1 so you will take 1/(2 - -5) = 0,14dmg

So yea... I'm 100% sure that you will be able to tank few big ones NO PROBLEM.

varn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by varn »

Damage from oxygen mod(when running out of oxygen bottles, and there is no dispenser around) gives you defence xp. I'm just going to sit here and farm it while I have enough blood potions to stay alive >:D

alcan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alcan »

L0771 wrote:
alcan wrote:
  • Mines: 6
    • Cursed Iron Miner: 14
    • Cursed Copper Miner: 14
    • Cursed Iron Mine 2: 14
    • Cursed Iron Mine 3: 14
    • Cursed Copper Mine 2: 13
ok :P 6 mines, i count 5...
I deleted one cause I placed it once and then put it in a chest xD

Qcor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Qcor »

Am I doing sth wrong here or one body = 25kW in the generator?

25kW?? for 5.000 blood... oh cmon :D

Yea, I know it's free.. and yea it's clean... also it takes little space.. but 25?? It's like 1 solar.. not even that.

I was all excited to power my base with this generator but.. yea.. not gonna happen :P
At this moment I need about 7MW so it would be 280 bodies... 1.400.000 blood... good joke m8 :P

L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by L0771 »

Qcor wrote:emm.. this is wrong. You have to calculate %reduction first, then subtract flat reduction, not the other way around.
50dmg at 1/s - vs 2/5%
it is >=1 so 45.5 is our effective dmg and our effective dps is 45.5 * 1/s - 45.5 dps

1dmg at 50/s - vs 2/5%
it is < 1 so the dmg is 1/(2 - -1.05) = 1/(3.05) = 0.327 effective dmg and our effective dps is 0.327*50/s = 16.35 dps.
Ok, with this, a high damage and lower attack speed is better then.
Qcor wrote:Small biters deal 6dmg so the OP armor IMO (that's just eyeballing it, I can be very wrong here. Definitely needs testing) would start probably at about 4/0%, or 3/20%.. sth around that. Therefore in the early game you shouldn't go beyond that.

Medium biters deal 15dmg so the OP armor would probably begin around 12/0% or 11/10% or 10/15% or 9/20% or 8/25% or 7/30%.. sth like that. Anything more than that and it will be too strong vs medium biters.
You mention 10/55% - in this armor you will stand and laugh at medium biters. I'm almost sure you could tank them with basic hp regen... so for mid-game definitely OP.

Big biters deal 30dmg and you want them to be a challenge.. so I'd start the late game somewhere around 8/30% then slowly progress thru 9/35%, 9/40% (at this point medium biters dmg falls below threshold and they are no longed a threat).
Now you have to ask yourself - how OP should cursed armor be? If you want to easily tank big biters in very late game then your CAP should be around 15/50%, or 12/60%, 9/70% - all that will allow you to tank them no problem.
If you want them to still be a challenge even in very late game then you probably shouldn't ever go above 10/50%.

IMPORTANT NOTE: ALL THAT ASSUMES THAT YOU USE PURE ARMOR without any upgrades like shields+reactor. In case you do those numbers are probably too high.
but shield+reactor+other stuff are semi late-game, i don't count it.

Cursed armor lvl 1 = 2.65/20.6% (and i think is balanced, lower than others armors, you get t2 easier...)
Cursed armor lvl 25 = 6.25/35% (against firsts medium bitters)
Cursed armor lvl 50 = 8/50% (against firsts big bitters)
And above lvl 50, are all percent = 50 and flat scales lineal to 15, starting with a grid 2x2 and finishing with a 32x32 grid, you can continue upgrading your armor, but i think is very expensive...
lol dont read this code
varn wrote:Damage from oxygen mod(when running out of oxygen bottles, and there is no dispenser around) gives you defence xp. I'm just going to sit here and farm it while I have enough blood potions to stay alive >:D
bah... just uninstall oxygen... i'm trying to give a compatibility for that, without "oxygen" (item) you can farm defense... maybe he has modified the dmg, before it was 20 / 200 ticks, i'm substracting that to my "heal var of every player", works for me, but it don't know what's happening... Maybe (and only maybe) i have a modified version without problems :/
And you can active other version of oxygen in cursed options, maybe i'll do a intravenous item to give the same like "oxygen" to balance it :p
alcan wrote:I deleted one cause I placed it once and then put it in a chest xD
No one can deceive my functions...
Qcor wrote:Am I doing sth wrong here or one body = 25kW in the generator?
hehehehe this is the old formula:

production = 0.1 * ([level] - 1)^2 + ([level] - 1) * 25 + 25
if [level] == 65 then
	production = 0.2 * ([level] - 1)^2 + ([level] - 1) * 25 + 25
end
Formula for the new version:

[level] = (0.1 * ([level] - 1)^2 + ([level] - 1) * 25) * 1.5 + 25
if [level] == 65 then
	production = (0.25 * ([level] - 1)^2 + ([level] - 1) * 25) * 1.5 + 25
end
NOTE: all this are just a traduction, you can see the real formula in cursed>prototypes>entities>cursed-generators.lua
Qcor wrote:25kW?? for 5.000 blood... oh cmon :D
Yea, I know it's free.. and yea it's clean... also it takes little space.. but 25?? It's like 1 solar.. not even that.
jajaja a solar panel produces 60kw... but only in 1/2 day ~30kw constante.
Qcor wrote:I was all excited to power my base with this generator but.. yea.. not gonna happen :P
At this moment I need about 7MW so it would be 280 bodies... 1.400.000 blood... good joke m8 :P
hmmm 1 generator lvl 65 produces 3961kw, you need 1 lvl 64 + 1 lvl 65 = 6943, + 1 solar panel (XD) = 128 bodies + 3 generators = 640k of blood (hey, lower than 1l/1w, for a constant production...)

NOTE: you need 64 bodies to upgrade to lvl 64 and 1 generator to upgrade to lvl 65 (is like a hardware update)

Qcor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Qcor »

jajaja a solar panel produces 60kw... but only in 1/2 day ~30kw constante
Actually it's not 50%. Day is longer than night in factorio plus dusk and dawn of partial light... all together gives you about 70% of max output.. so ~42kW.
Formula for the new version:

[level] = (0.1 * ([level] - 1)^2 + ([level] - 1) * 25) * 1.5 + 25
    if [level] == 65 then
       production = (0.25 * ([level] - 1)^2 + ([level] - 1) * 25) * 1.5 + 25
    end
So basically you buffed it a little in the new version.. but still at lvl 10 one body is worth about 37kW, don't you think it is just not worth 5000blood? 5000 blood is 100 T1 or 20 T2... So it's like a choice of solar panel vs 20lvls of armor.. or bow/tool. Not rly a fair choice, don't you think? :P

varn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by varn »

.... Or you could just spend 50 blood on 1 T1 for 24 hrs of day every day, to keep solars at max capacity.

Vitduo
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vitduo »

Hello! I have done Ukrainian translation for the mod and the addon, and it would be great if you add it. ;) But some lines for the buttons are too long and the game short them. Is there a way to fix it?
P. S. Current font for Ukrainian have no infinite symbol... So ++
Attachments
CursedUK.zip
(12.07 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
2.png
2.png (307.98 KiB) Viewed 9201 times
1.png
1.png (269.55 KiB) Viewed 9201 times

hideki_elko
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hideki_elko »

whats the biggest grid size the cursed armor can get because id love to stay with the cursed set but its to small to do anything with

Qcor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Qcor »

hideki_elko wrote:whats the biggest grid size the cursed armor can get because id love to stay with the cursed set but its to small to do anything with
Max is 32x32.

It scales like this: math.floor(i * 30 / 250) + 2, where i is armor lvl (armor max lvl is 250)

[edit]
this is in 0.4.1. There will be some armor balance changes in next ver I believe but afaik they will be focused on resistances. Grid will probably stay the same.. but who knows
[edit]

L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by L0771 »

Vitduo wrote:Hello! I have done Ukrainian translation for the mod and the addon, and it would be great if you add it. ;) But some lines for the buttons are too long and the game short them. Is there a way to fix it?
P. S. Current font for Ukrainian have no infinite symbol... So ++
Thanks you!
I've tested, i think is a bug, infinite is a math symbol, and must exist in all languages.

I'm sorry my ppl, i don't have uploaded the new version yesterday because technical problems (the power went out for 12hs ¬¬).
I'll do 2 changes, test and upload :D

Return to “Mods”