[MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (0.99.x)

Post by Deadlock989 »

ZombieMooose wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:42 am
I'd like to say the sounds you've picked for this mod are phenomenal. I've found myself sitting in silence listening to machines run a few times.

I don't have much else to offer besides that other than great work.
I knew absolutely nothing about editing and mixing sounds before I started the mod. freesound.org is the most incredible community resource, you can literally get lost in it, really astonishing generosity. I can now do very basic mixing and on a good day I can turn a sound into a seamless loop ... Audacity is also a very good bit of software considering its price tag of Β£0.
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

If you have any feedback on resources/production balance, particularly in the later Ages, would be really interested to see it - this thread on the mod portal is the best place to leave it.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Deadlock989 wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:51 am
ZombieMooose wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:42 am
I'd like to say the sounds you've picked for this mod are phenomenal. I've found myself sitting in silence listening to machines run a few times.

I don't have much else to offer besides that other than great work.
I knew absolutely nothing about editing and mixing sounds before I started the mod. freesound.org is the most incredible community resource, you can literally get lost in it, really astonishing generosity. I can now do very basic mixing and on a good day I can turn a sound into a seamless loop ... Audacity is also a very good bit of software considering its price tag of Β£0.
The working sound of the burner assemblers remind me of the first tunes of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0&t=74s

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

myricaulus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by myricaulus »

Does anybody happen to know why the F.A.R.L does not have any crafting recipe nor any technology to research for it? The items itself are shown in FNEI, but hitting the craft button there does not yield any results. I just wanted to ask before i start to dig deeper to resolve the conflict, maybe anyone has a useful hint for me where to look, since IR is quite a big mod. NVM i just started a new game without IR and realized that IR merged automatic trains with train singled technology (which made so much sense, i didnt even realize that change beforehand) and FARL has been added to the now missing train signals tech.

CDCobra
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CDCobra »

Hello Deadlock989,

Obviously you did not see my first post. I therefore allow myself to reiterate it.

You have done a phenomenal job and you should be rewarding. If the developers had even created what you did and paid for it, there would not have been so much controversy about it. Everyone would have bought and would have been silent.

I am a very well known French streamer in this community. The country is not very big and the language difficult, the number is not great.

All is that your mod interests me a lot for your very different approach. This gives a facelift to Factorio. It's a pleasure.

I would like to aquire broadcasting rights in order to make everyone know your mod. I would like to know the possibilities and the amount to be in the legality.

Could you inform me, please?
This is a very serious request.

Cordially.

CD.Cobra

Zazcallabah
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zazcallabah »

CDCobra wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:44 am
Hello Deadlock989,

Obviously you did not see my first post. I therefore allow myself to reiterate it.
He obviously saw it, and ignored it because he is getting tired of answering the same questions over and over again. He has made his thoughts clear on the issue several times:

viewtopic.php?f=190&t=69187&p=456603#p456603
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Industria ... 000b3ddf21
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Industria ... 000c27ed49
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/

cicatrix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cicatrix »

I don't quite understand how clockwork punkbots work and what they do.
Presumably they're just construction bots but they appear long before robotics. I place them in the air but they simply hang there doing nothing.
What am I missing?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

cicatrix wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:33 am
I don't quite understand how clockwork punkbots work and what they do.
Presumably they're just construction bots but they appear long before robotics. I place them in the air but they simply hang there doing nothing.
What am I missing?
Heavy armour has a small equipment grid in IR - you need to wear one and put a bronze generator and a bronze roboport in it. The bronze generator needs chemical fuel (e.g. coal) to run, the generator manager can help maintain it once you've stocked the generator up properly the first time.
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

cicatrix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cicatrix »

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:45 am
Heavy armour has a small equipment grid in IR - you need to wear one and put a bronze generator and a bronze roboport in it. The bronze generator needs solid fuel to run, the generator manager can help maintain it once you've stocked the generator up properly the first time.
Oh, thx.

mathiaszealot
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mathiaszealot »

I wanted to say first that I've been watching and waiting for this mod since I first saw it way back when you just finished assemblers. It's everything I'd hoped for back then and more. Very smooth experience so far. That said, I ran into this today and It got me thinking:

Okay, Which? So it's all the processing, but some of the basic recipes. Do I need to just try all of the basic recipes to see which can be boosted?
This is one of the issues I have that gets exacerbated by mods, that productivity modules are (understandably) restricted to certain recipes, but it isn't always clear which. The core game keeps it to the intermediates, but mods can have recipes all over different tabs based on a buried flag that isn't shown anywhere.

A suggestion for it: Could something similar to the No Use/Redundant Recipes icon overlay be done where recipes that CAN receive a productivity bonus have something like a small red productivity mod and maybe a + sign in the corner? A Quick Mockup:
Not sure if this would make the Processing tab too busy, but would make this error message less ambiguous with a clear marker on which recipes can accept productivity modules.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

mathiaszealot wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:36 pm
I wanted to say first that I've been watching and waiting for this mod since I first saw it way back when you just finished assemblers. It's everything I'd hoped for back then and more. Very smooth experience so far. That said, I ran into this today and It got me thinking:

Okay, Which? So it's all the processing, but some of the basic recipes. Do I need to just try all of the basic recipes to see which can be boosted?
This is one of the issues I have that gets exacerbated by mods, that productivity modules are (understandably) restricted to certain recipes, but it isn't always clear which. The core game keeps it to the intermediates, but mods can have recipes all over different tabs based on a buried flag that isn't shown anywhere.

A suggestion for it: Could something similar to the No Use/Redundant Recipes icon overlay be done where recipes that CAN receive a productivity bonus have something like a small red productivity mod and maybe a + sign in the corner? A Quick Mockup:
Not sure if this would make the Processing tab too busy, but would make this error message less ambiguous with a clear marker on which recipes can accept productivity modules.
Very interesting idea. My gut reaction is that another overlay icon would be visual overload, but I'm not ruling it out straight away.

Another option is further information in the recipe tooltip - now that we can add rich text and icons to the body of descriptions (see refining recipes).

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Which Basic Component recipes cannot use Prod Modules ?

(Otherwise that Prod Module sign could be on the Processing and Basic Components tabs themselves..?
And maybe the Basic Components that cannot be Prod Moduled could have a "prod module forbidden" sign, minimizing the clutter ?)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

BlueTemplar wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:47 pm
All of them, it turns out. I think the basic issue is that the flying text is wrong. I think it's a holdover from an early version of the mod, before I battened down all those hatches.

Thinking about it, this is all fraught with issues, which is probably why it's difficult to tell where prod modules can be used even in vanilla.

I'm reluctant to add an overlay icon even to the limited set of recipes that have it, because it's busy, and if something is repeated too often across a grid it just becomes noise. So a recipe description is the safer bet.

Then you have other mods coming along and changing things. So I couldn't ever guarantee that another mod wouldn't add new recipes which also work with productivity, but get missed by the description pass. Come to that, it's entirely possible that another mod would overwrite the entire set of productivity limitations on the modules themselves, in which case, any of descriptions and/or icons I set would then be wrong.

I feel like this is something that should be in the base game, another line on the recipe tooltip. (Then there are still other issues. The property that lets modules work with a recipe doesn't live in the recipe, it lives in the module. So each productivity module essentially has a duplicated copy of the list - you could have, if you wanted, a P1 module working a different set of recipes to a P2 module. Or have multiple sets of P modules with different bonuses and penalties. So what do you say in the recipe description? "Here is a list of the 15 different productivity modules added by the Mega Module 9000 mod?")

In the next version, the flying text will be "Productivity modules cannot be installed for this recipe". If the machine itself has been excluded from using P modules, the message is the default vanilla one, "Productivity module 3 cannot be used in Bronze ore crusher" or some such.

NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NameLips »

Curses, it looks like loaders aren't working with storage depots.

https://imgur.com/ZiJAlEb

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

NameLips wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:59 pm
Curses, it looks like loaders aren't working with storage depots.

https://imgur.com/ZiJAlEb
Helps if you put them down the right way round.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:00 pm
In the next version, the flying text will be "Productivity modules cannot be installed for this recipe".
That's pretty close to the vanilla text of "Productivity modules can't be used on this recipe." so you could just not overwrite it and save a few lines of code.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NameLips »

Bilka wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:02 pm
In the next version, the flying text will be "Productivity modules cannot be installed for this recipe".
That's pretty close to the vanilla text of "Productivity modules can't be used on this recipe." so you could just not overwrite it and save a few lines of code.
They are pointed the right way, but I picked them up and put them down a few times and suddenly they clicked into place and started working. So must be user error of some kind.

edit: I think it doesn't like them being placed as ghosts/blueprints.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

NameLips wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:08 pm
edit: I think it doesn't like them being placed as ghosts/blueprints.
IR doesn't change or even touch any loader properties, so that's a report for DSB, shanemadden is overlooking that mod now.

But I can't reproduce any issue, just tried both copy/paste and a blueprint, and they both work as expected. I could offer guesses but they would be guesses.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:47 pm
All of them, it turns out. I think the basic issue is that the flying text is wrong. I think it's a holdover from an early version of the mod, before I battened down all those hatches.

Thinking about it, this is all fraught with issues, which is probably why it's difficult to tell where prod modules can be used even in vanilla.

I'm reluctant to add an overlay icon even to the limited set of recipes that have it, because it's busy, and if something is repeated too often across a grid it just becomes noise. So a recipe description is the safer bet.

Then you have other mods coming along and changing things. So I couldn't ever guarantee that another mod wouldn't add new recipes which also work with productivity, but get missed by the description pass. Come to that, it's entirely possible that another mod would overwrite the entire set of productivity limitations on the modules themselves, in which case, any of descriptions and/or icons I set would then be wrong.

I feel like this is something that should be in the base game, another line on the recipe tooltip. (Then there are still other issues. The property that lets modules work with a recipe doesn't live in the recipe, it lives in the module. So each productivity module essentially has a duplicated copy of the list - you could have, if you wanted, a P1 module working a different set of recipes to a P2 module. Or have multiple sets of P modules with different bonuses and penalties. So what do you say in the recipe description? "Here is a list of the 15 different productivity modules added by the Mega Module 9000 mod?")

In the next version, the flying text will be "Productivity modules cannot be installed for this recipe". If the machine itself has been excluded from using P modules, the message is the default vanilla one, "Productivity module 3 cannot be used in Bronze ore crusher" or some such.
Good points. (Can have both the tooltip and the sign though ?)
And I feel that if some mod adds new components to your custom tabs, it's on the onus of that mod maker to add the "no Prod" sign themselves ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:35 pm
And I feel that if some mod adds new components to your custom tabs, it's on the onus of that mod maker to add the "no Prod" sign themselves ?
You'd think. See above.

Return to β€œMods”