Topics and discussion about specific mods
Stimpatch
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Post by Stimpatch »

mrvn wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:15 am
That means electrical trains will be inferior to normal trains by a lot once you get rocket fuel / nuclear fuel. But in between driving trains on solar alone is a bonus. There should be a nuclear battery that you can reprocess instead of charge or electric trains could simply accept nuclear fuel cells and return spend fuel cells. The difference between 120% acceleration and 200% is just too big to keep electric trains otherwise.
I disagree. Having different options to wrap your head around is fantastic, but in vanilla factorio there is most of the time a "best" or "perfect" solution, while IR (most of the time) provides you with choices that have up AND downsides. Lets keep it that way.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Stimpatch wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:33 am
That means electrical trains will be inferior to normal trains by a lot once you get rocket fuel / nuclear fuel. But in between driving trains on solar alone is a bonus. There should be a nuclear battery that you can reprocess instead of charge or electric trains could simply accept nuclear fuel cells and return spend fuel cells. The difference between 120% acceleration and 200% is just too big to keep electric trains otherwise.
I disagree. Having different options to wrap your head around is fantastic, but in vanilla factorio there is most of the time a "best" or "perfect" solution, while IR (most of the time) provides you with choices that have up AND downsides. Lets keep it that way.
The upside of electric trains is that you don't need to use (much) limited resources for fuel. A battery lasts 100 charges and can be charged by solar alone.

The downside is that you have to ship back the empty batteries for refueling (or do that on site and handle replacing broken ones).

Isn't that enough downside?

The difference between 120% acceleration and 200% acceleration is something like 40 trains / minute and 100+ trains / minute passing through a junction. It has a huge impact on the carrying capacity of your rail network.

Personally I now have uranium processing set up and a nuclear reactor running. Covarex process is working and I get a steady stream of enriched uranium now. Researching electric trains, building the battery factory and recharging sounds like the same amount of work as producing nuclear fuel at this point. So electric trains have been obsoleted for me before I even had a chance to research them. Given the acceleration difference it simply is a dead end.

nog
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nog »

There should be a nuclear battery that you can reprocess instead of charge or electric trains could simply accept nuclear fuel cells and return spend fuel cells. The difference between 120% acceleration and 200% is just too big to keep electric trains otherwise.
"nuclear battery" ? You're just distorting reality.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Crash with 0.17.77:

Code: Select all

3.448 Factorio initialised
   3.456 Mods to disable:Failed to load mods: __IndustrialRevolution__/data-final-fixes.lua:16: ...ialRevolution__/code/items-recipes/recipes-scrapping.lua:23: attempt to call global 'calculate_scraps' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...ialRevolution__/code/items-recipes/recipes-scrapping.lua:23: in main chunk
	[C]: in function 'require'
	__IndustrialRevolution__/data-final-fixes.lua:16: in main chunk
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'require'
	__IndustrialRevolution__/data-final-fixes.lua:16: in main chunk

Mods to be disabled:
β€’ IndustrialRevolutio
No other mod was active when this happened, just IR.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

Is someone working on a Space Exploration compatibility mod, or is it just a wild west atm?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Pi-C wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:03 pm
Crash with 0.17.77:

That shouldn't be possible. The function it is saying has a nil value is required just a few lines above. Can't reproduce with 0.17.78.

Unless there is some other contextual info I'm missing, I'd class this as "1/0 magic", or maybe a file has been corrupted.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Deadlock989 wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:34 pm
Pi-C wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:03 pm
Crash with 0.17.77:

That shouldn't be possible. The function it is saying has a nil value is required just a few lines above. Can't reproduce with 0.17.78.

Unless there is some other contextual info I'm missing, I'd class this as "1/0 magic", or maybe a file has been corrupted.
Perhaps it was some corruption after all. This happened in my testing installation of Factorio, and there was an unpacked version of IR in the mods directory. I cleaned up the installation (deleted the vanilla files and copied them over from my main directory) and I also removed the unpacked version of your mod. After this, the game started normally again. So it may well be that I inadvertently changed one of your files, in which case I'm sorry for wasting your time.
On the other hand, I should also interrogate the cats! It did happen in the past that they inserted several hundred empty pages into a document I was working on, so perhaps they were "helping" again … :-D
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

In my quest to make IR and Space Exploration work together, would it be possible to tell me where to go to say "exclude this product from this recipe from the tech tree rebuild search"?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Illiander42 wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:14 pm
In my quest to make IR and Space Exploration work together, would it be possible to tell me where to go to say "exclude this product from this recipe from the tech tree rebuild search"?
There are two built-in ways of doing this. Lines 209-231 in code/data/globals.lua are worth looking at - DIR.ancestor_tech_ignore_list is a list of technologies that are completely ignored by the tech tree builder, and DIR.redundant_recipe_exclusions is a list of recipes that are skipped in any technology (these are substrings used to ignore whole classes of recipes). There is no way of altering those from a third party mod though. I could add a check for a custom recipe prototype property if you like, something like "disable_IR_provider = true", if that helped - your recipes would need to be loaded before IR's data.lua stage though.

I wanted to look at SE compatibility but I still haven't had a chance to play it. Oxygen Not Included isn't helping.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Dutchman wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:37 am
Hey Deadlock. Just wanted to pop my head in and say thank you for the mod. My partner and I got a lot of fun hours out of it, and it's nice to have more challenges than the vanilla experience without devolving into a meaningless rainbow of upgrades.

I noticed you have given conflicting feelings on adding functionality and uses to the last tier of materials, and discontinuing your work on the mod. Could you maybe give us some idea of if there are still any future plans beyond 1.0.7?

Thank you again for your work.
You're welcome.

It's looking unlikely, if I'm honest.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Rubber trees seem to be a real problem, and they are needed for electric drills. I explored a large area and found none at all:
https://i.imgur.com/1vSkeL4.jpg

I suppose /editor is the solution. But should there be another way, like converting regular saplings through some process?

After using editor i can tell the rubber trees are light green dots on map, clearly distinguishable from normal trees that way. At least it confirms i didn't miss any.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

Zaflis wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:51 pm
Rubber trees seem to be a real problem, and they are needed for electric drills. I explored a large area and found none at all:
https://i.imgur.com/1vSkeL4.jpg

I suppose /editor is the solution. But should there be another way, like converting regular saplings through some process?

After using editor i can tell the rubber trees are light green dots on map, clearly distinguishable from normal trees that way. At least it confirms i didn't miss any.
Do you have any other mods running? I have never seen oil in the water. I have seen rubber trees in quite big number around the water.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

ukezi wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:04 pm
Do you have any other mods running? I have never seen oil in the water. I have seen rubber trees in quite big number around the water.
Definitely other mods, not ones that affect trees spawning though. "Water Ores" allows ores to spawn in water. It doesn't specifically add more of them like RSO, it just allows vanilla worldgen to not void them if they attempt to spawn in water. But i can confirm from the "Change Map Settings" mod that i have trees and rubber trees with same spawn ratios; Scale 1 and coverage 0.5.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

I wanted again say thanks for this mod.....

Now i have some space - and decided not to do the math, but do it street-wise......

Here is my 'how are the ratios' :D
2019-11-16 23_56_05-Factorio 0.17.jpg
2019-11-16 23_56_05-Factorio 0.17.jpg (298.65 KiB) Viewed 5982 times
It seems one need pumps by every orewashing but hey :mrgreen:

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

Zaflis wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:14 pm
ukezi wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:04 pm
Definitely other mods, not ones that affect trees spawning though. "Water Ores" allows ores to spawn in water. It doesn't specifically add more of them like RSO, it just allows vanilla worldgen to not void them if they attempt to spawn in water. But i can confirm from the "Change Map Settings" mod that i have trees and rubber trees with same spawn ratios; Scale 1 and coverage 0.5.
I think your map gen tries to place the trees in the water. I would uninstall the water ores mod and do a test generation. I usually have more then a few rubber trees in the starting area, as long as I don't start in the desert.

carolares
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by carolares »

Hi guys, I've just started using this mod recently and I can't figure out how the burner leech functionality should work. whatever I do around the burner inserter it is simply stopping when out of fuel. Is it scanning around its 1x1 radius for fuel? (even though I have bob's adjustable inserters and its reach should technically be 2x2). What am I missing? Is it by any chance because I'm using the bob's adjustable inserters?

I'm using a layout like this.

F (furnace)
bi (burner inserter)
b (belt copper ore)
b (belt coal ore)

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

carolares wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:58 am
Hi guys, I've just started using this mod recently and I can't figure out how the burner leech functionality should work. whatever I do around the burner inserter it is simply stopping when out of fuel. Is it scanning around its 1x1 radius for fuel? (even though I have bob's adjustable inserters and its reach should technically be 2x2). What am I missing? Is it by any chance because I'm using the bob's adjustable inserters?

F (furnace)
bi (burner inserter)
b (belt copper ore)
b (belt coal ore)
all the leech function does is allow a burner inserter to take fuel out of a assembler/furnace to feed its self if its set to pull items out from that entity

carolares
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by carolares »

kingarthur wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:06 am
carolares wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:58 am

F (furnace)
bi (burner inserter)
b (belt copper ore)
b (belt coal ore)
all the leech function does is allow a burner inserter to take fuel out of a assembler/furnace to feed its self if its set to pull items out from that entity
thank you very much!

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

kingarthur wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:06 am
But it will only ever pull fuel from the input side of inserter. If it puts in an assembler that already has coal in, it can't take it out.

Return to β€œMods”