[MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Post by Deadlock989 »

Krastorio has released an update which fixes the error on load with IR 1.0.0. It also fixes the autogun turret range issue.

Version 1.0.1 of IR fixes the missing DSB icon and laser assembler GUI title, also fixes some very minor issues with Dectorio compatibility.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Industrial Revolution 1.0.0

Post by Blu3wolf »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:52 pm
IR 1.0.0 is released. The changelog is here. More things ended up being tweaked than I thought. I wouldn't call any of them "game-breaking" but you may need to adjust/reroute some factories in existing saves. Omelettes, breaking eggs etc.
Oh noooo :( You are going to make me restart my 50 hour save :(

I just want to say again, thank you so much for this mod. Its ticked a lot of boxes for me, a very fresh way to experience factorio.
Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:26 am
Version 1.0.1...
Oh nooooooooo...... just as I finished downloading 1.0.0 D:

ztn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ztn »

update my base for 1.0 and i like everything except 1 thing - red/blue circuits require green/red circuits now... really hate this change. it was so cool when all 3 was completely independent. we have so big variety of materials and still forced into "fields of green circuits" layout now... you need x8 cooper now. before 1.0 i can live with 1 red belt of cooper ingots until lategame and it was inline with all other main resources like iron or coal etc... now i need 4 red belts of cooper ingots midgame - it's not fun. it's 1st time in several years playing factorio that i want to find this recipe in addon files and change it back.

Peppe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Peppe »

On launch get Missing graphic in: graphics\icons\64\bronze-gear-wheel

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

I was thinking. Every Assembler Tier is diametrally better than the last one.
Tier 1 Assembler needs coal for its internal steam powerplant to function.
Tier 2 needs just external electricity to work.
Tier 3 should have an internal fusion core working on plain hydrogen (from H2O that it can filter out on its own from the water vapour in the atmosphere) and not need any powering from the factory.

dvalitov
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dvalitov »

Place green science behind ore crushing 1 because it needs glass.
Sorry if my english is poor.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Peppe wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:15 pm
On launch get Missing graphic in: graphics\icons\64\bronze-gear-wheel
Sounds like a corrupted zip file or otherwise broken installation to me. Re-download.
dvalitov wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:39 am
Place green science behind ore crushing 1 because it needs glass.
This was originally the case, but a bug introduced when scrapping became a thing caused alloy ingots to be incorrectly ignored by the tech tree rebuild (glass is treated as an alloy for code purposes). Fixed for the next version.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Version: 1.0.2
Date: 12. 10. 2019

Processing:
- Copper scrapping machines added, for early-game scrapping.
- Stone and stone brick ingredients are now scrapped as stone rather than gravel. Gravel is still scrapped as gravel.

Tweaks:
- Inserters squeak when you toggle their lane.
- Scattergun turrets now have their own firing sound.
- Virtual signal icons updated.

Fixes:
- Alloy ingots (including glass) were being incorrectly ignored by the tech tree build, causing Logistic Science research to have missing prerequisites.
- If vanilla items are updated with a high-res icon, any associated entity's icon is updated at the same time (e.g. inserters).

Compatibility:
- DSB: Restored missing stacked bronze gear wheel icon.

Locale:
- Brazilian Portuguese locale updated by Jackson Meira, many thanks to them for doing this work.
- Russian locale updated by Astorin, many thanks to them for doing this work.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

I left you a scathing review on reddit, in case you care. ;)
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

sonaxaton
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sonaxaton »

Squeak Through just had an update that looks like might make it easier to integrate with IR, any plans for that? It's one of my top QoL mods and I miss it dearly playing IR.
viewtopic.php?f=190&t=16476&start=100#p461453

spitfire_23
Inserter
Inserter

Post by spitfire_23 »

Hey, I've started playing with Industrial Revolution 1.0.2 and just got to the iron age, but I've noticed that there's no iron ore in my starting area. Is this expected? The closest iron ore to my start location is a long way away. Given that iron is required to build trains & rails, I'm not really sure what my next steps are, maybe I need to spin up a second base to focus on rail production until I can get enough iron to link them up?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

spitfire_23 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:31 pm
Hey, I've started playing with Industrial Revolution 1.0.2 and just got to the iron age, but I've noticed that there's no iron ore in my starting area. Is this expected? The closest iron ore to my start location is a long way away. Given that iron is required to build trains & rails, I'm not really sure what my next steps are, maybe I need to spin up a second base to focus on rail production until I can get enough iron to link them up?
Take a look at monowheel. Small mining base and transport the ore back to make some iron for train.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

orzelek wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:31 pm
spitfire_23 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:31 pm
Take a look at monowheel. Small mining base and transport the ore back to make some iron for train.
And without too much monowheel ferrying, you can manage to carry back enough iron to make a car, which can then carry quite a lot of iron ore in its trunk. You can make several trips back and forth with the car while you gather enough iron to make a train.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

What I've done in my last two playthroughs (rail world settings, but not RSO) is set up an initial small iron outpost which does smelting on-site, then go back to the main base and get on with other stuff. 15 minutes later and two trips to the outpost (including the inital trip to set things up) and you've got enough iron to bootstrap rail.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

sonaxaton wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:46 pm
Squeak Through just had an update that looks like might make it easier to integrate with IR, any plans for that? It's one of my top QoL mods and I miss it dearly playing IR.
viewtopic.php?f=190&t=16476&start=100#p461453
So apparently I would need to edit the properties of 40+ entities - by hand, because there is no way to detect which mod added a new prototype - to prevent Squeak Through from potentially messing them up. And players can then toggle an option which ignores all that work anyway.

Nah, I'm good thanks.

leighzer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by leighzer »

I stumbled upon a small mod that appears to build upon Industrial Revolution.

Here it is: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/IR-Chromium_Synthesis

It adds a recipe and technology for making chromium and is public domain. Just a heads up.

Stimpatch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stimpatch »

Another "my Impression so far" Post to provide some feedback:

Settings:
- Normal world
- Biters tuned down about half each setting
- Alot of forest in the starting area
- No "big mods", only qol and logistic mods (like LTN)
- About 110 hours in
- Screenshot will follow when i am at home (and hopefuully dont forget to take one :D)
- Main Bus approach from iron age on

Getting from Copper t Iron age was an unexpected, but very interesting challenge. Balance felt good, and Biters left me alone, so full puzzle speed ahead. With electricity i started a main bus and slowly convertet some of the old assemblers to new ones, still much of my old production is still using copper assemblers. Expanding to new ores was fun, setting up initial rail network also. Centralised train stations tend to become very large if i want to keep things clustered togehter that belong (imho) together, like all Ore crushers or a large smelting area. So, after realising this and 1-2 errors in my initial designs, planning big it is... Oil is the next big step, to my suprise. First, i thought changing smelting from ores to crushed ores (and then again from crushed ores to refined) would pose all kinds of problems, but no, that was kinda easy to do. So, oil... Oil sufferes from aLOT of pollution if you do it wrong. To get a decent (for this stage of mid-game) production, you need lots of buildings (like, about 10 in each chemical process), this is the first time i felt pressure from pollution getting to biters (and in return, to me). Air filters do help alot here. Also, pipe throuput starts to show its ugly face every now an then, so it felt like a difficulty spike. From here on, progression seems to slow down. Refining crushed ores requires multipe Iterations until i find a solution filling a redbelt with end-products without looking horrible or getting limited by pipes... Interesting, but slow. Some metals pile up. Like, more than 3 storages full and still 2 much. Then 1.0 hits, and things start to go more smoothly . Train network fills up, purple science needs new materials and a WOOPING LOT of others, old ones. Some new Products get on the main bus, others, old ones leave, because they only serve one ore zero prupose anymore. Just entered Chrome Age like 5 hours ago.

in Summary:
- I had and still have a blast!
- Love the Scrap mechanics!
- Thanks very much
- Sounddesign rocks my ears
- Visuals are mostly good
- Progression and ratios seem mostly good to me, did not encounter any serious or gamebreaking contend
- Technical side looks very clean

Some constructive criticism:
- Some Icons are different to distinguish. Like refined Chromium and Palladium (platinum? dunno). 32x32 Icons is okay, smaller ones look kinda the same, causing some problems for me here and there (like, i pulled 5 times natural rubber from a bus, thinking it was carbon)
- Electrical trains running on batteries i like very much. Though, i fear, lategame you have to get rid of them again cause there is no speed progression here (aside from normal to hi capacity batteries)

One point for Brainstorming:
in another post i just learned that reducing a units power requirements also reduces its pollution by the same ratio. 500+ hours into the game i did not know that. In IR, this confused me alot. Why are there items to reduce pollution while there still are items that do the same job, just besser (energy modules)? is there a reason aside from upfront investment into the item to use the air filter? I dont see a scenario where the module is not just plain better. Is the intension here just to provide the player with a cheaper "anti pollution" item to give him tools not to anger the natives so much? Or do i miss a point here?

Solinya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Solinya »

Stimpatch wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:50 am
One point for Brainstorming:
in another post i just learned that reducing a units power requirements also reduces its pollution by the same ratio. 500+ hours into the game i did not know that. In IR, this confused me alot. Why are there items to reduce pollution while there still are items that do the same job, just besser (energy modules)? is there a reason aside from upfront investment into the item to use the air filter? I dont see a scenario where the module is not just plain better. Is the intension here just to provide the player with a cheaper "anti pollution" item to give him tools not to anger the natives so much? Or do i miss a point here?
Yeah, I also learned that after some 500+ hours of gameplay, and after my previous review here, since I don't think the base game is all that clear about it. So the air filters aren't as powerful as I previously thought, though they definitely help early game because they're much cheaper and available earlier. I haven't gotten past the steel age yet, but I believe the highest tier air filter is 60% and a tier efficiency 3 module is 50%, so if you needed a minor additional pollution reduction and didn't care about the -50% energy benefit, the filter would win out, but it seems a bit more niche late game.

Then again, there are some machines that have low energy consumption but medium pollution, so using filters in those may still be a net benefit because modules are more expensive to create, until you're far enough into the late-game that you're starting to beacon everything. It sounded like the main focus of IR is up to the rocket and slightly beyond, so Advanced Air Filter vs Efficiency Module 3 may not have come up much, since heavy beacons and modules get into post-rocket territory.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Industrial Revolution 1.0.3

Post by Deadlock989 »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version: 1.0.3
Date: 16. 10. 2019

Processing:
- The refined chromium cost of making chromic acid was reduced by 80%.

Crafting:
- Electronics cost of arithmetic and decider combinators reduced.
- High capacity battery cost of laser turrets, arc turrets and photonic cannons was reduced.

Science:
- Turret research was de-chained, i.e. turret research now depends on military and materials research, not on previous turrets.

Military:
- Minigun turrets were added. They use titanium minigun belt ammo.
- Photonic cannons were rebalanced. Additionally, they can now point in 8 directions and you can toggle their firing arc.

Tweaks:
- Belt immunity equipment power drain reduced to 10kW.

Locale:
- Non-English languages were moved into a language pack, so that locales can be updated independently of the main mod.

Fixes:
- Photonic cannons were misaligned with the tile grid. They were supposed to be a 4x4 entity but were aligned like a 3x3 entity. Whoops.
- The best fix for this that didn't break people's blueprints or cause entities to shift when replaced was to reduce the size of the entity to 3x3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8-direction-photons.png
8-direction-photons.png (1.81 MiB) Viewed 5448 times
photon-toggle.gif
photon-toggle.gif (381.47 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Barring any genuinely game-breaking bugs, this was the last update for IR for a while.

Return to “Mods”