[MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Topics and discussion about specific mods
McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (0.99.x)

Post by McDuff »

The gravel/ore flooring seems to blend into the new landfill texture rather than having the neat edges it has on other kinds of flooring. Is this intended behaviour?
Screenshot 2019-09-22 at 13.27.38.png
Screenshot 2019-09-22 at 13.27.38.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 6357 times

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

McDuff wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:49 pm
The gravel/ore flooring seems to blend into the new landfill texture rather than having the neat edges it has on other kinds of flooring. Is this intended behaviour?
No. Landfill tiles have been in the game for, what, four days? They didn't exist when I added the gravel flooring.

I need to fix the tile order generally - there are other problems with gravel floors and some of the "mud" decals - but it's tricky to get right without shafting every other mod that adds tiles or expects the "highest" vanilla tiles (e.g. concrete) to have the vanilla-defined layer.

Low priority fix.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:58 pm
McDuff wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:49 pm
No. Landfill tiles have been in the game for, what, four days? They didn't exist when I added the gravel flooring.

I need to fix the tile order generally - there are other problems with gravel floors and some of the "mud" decals - but it's tricky to get right without shafting every other mod that adds tiles or expects the "highest" vanilla tiles (e.g. concrete) to have the vanilla-defined layer.

Low priority fix.
No problem, just flagging it up.

blargh2015
Inserter
Inserter

Post by blargh2015 »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:40 am
Can you do me a favour and try this third version - I tackled it procedurally this time, so it should catch any and all techs that AAI has made dependent on a disabled vanilla tech. It looks good to me in-game but a second pair of eyes would help.
Seems good so far - I loaded up my previous saves I was testing the other blockers against and it looks good there. Out of morbid curiosity, I wanted to see what was being changed, so updated around line 128 to read:

Code: Select all

if data.raw.technology[prereq].enabled ~= false then
					if new_p == nil then new_p = {} end
					table.insert(new_p, prereq)
				else
					log("Technology "..tech.name.." had broken prerequisite "..prereq.." that is being removed.")
				end
That got me the following stuff in the log, which looks like everything that had been found previously plus only a couple:

Code: Select all

10.609 Script @__IndustrialRevolution__/code/mods/mods-datafinalfixes.lua:132: Technology automation-2 had broken prerequisite steel-processing that is being removed.
  10.610 Script @__IndustrialRevolution__/code/mods/mods-datafinalfixes.lua:132: Technology logistics-2 had broken prerequisite electronics that is being removed.
  10.610 Script @__IndustrialRevolution__/code/mods/mods-datafinalfixes.lua:132: Technology optics had broken prerequisite glass-processing that is being removed.
  10.610 Script @__IndustrialRevolution__/code/mods/mods-datafinalfixes.lua:132: Technology nuclear-power had broken prerequisite steam-power that is being removed.
  10.610 Script @__IndustrialRevolution__/code/mods/mods-datafinalfixes.lua:132: Technology concrete-walls had broken prerequisite concrete that is being removed.
  10.610 Script @__IndustrialRevolution__/code/mods/mods-datafinalfixes.lua:132: Technology engine had broken prerequisite basic-automation that is being removed.
  10.610 Script @__IndustrialRevolution__/code/mods/mods-datafinalfixes.lua:132: Technology robotics had broken prerequisite electronics that is being removed.
  10.610 Script @__IndustrialRevolution__/code/mods/mods-datafinalfixes.lua:132: Technology oil-processing had broken prerequisite glass-processing that is being removed.

I'll keep tinkering with it and let you know if I find more weirdnesses.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version: 0.99.7
Date: 22. 09. 2019

Locale:
- Added Brazilian Portuguese locale, many thanks to Jackson Meira for taking the time and effort.
- German locale updated again by tiriscef, many thanks.
- Polish locale updated again by GamingCube, many thanks.

Compatibility:
- AAI: Fixed more issues with AAI tech tree overwrites.
- Fixed another issue that was causing non-vanilla techs with no recipe unlocks to end up with duplicated prerequisites.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No more updates for a couple of weeks now, I'm working on balancing and want to minimise game-breaking uploads, and I'm also out of town for the last part of the month.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

Is it worth giving this mod its own subforum? It would be nice to have some discussion threads about builds and blueprints that don't ping Deadlock's phone when we post.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Hi Deadlock, sorry what I said about the burner equipment tooltip. I see elsewhere are other more descriptive tooltips explaining its functioning very well. Also, adding such a long description at the icon near the toolbar wouldn't fit with how the other vanilla icon tooltips look...

A subforum would be great. Would be nice to see how others tackle the challenges of IR.

Quick question, if I understand your license correct we are allowed to make a mod that overwrite your recipes and change things around, right? For free. Example: I want to try and make the punkbots use water alongside the fuel and have it use bottled water from that other mod... (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BottledFluids) The generator equipment manager will have to be able to pull new water bottles too. I hope it can be done even?
Last edited by BHakluyt on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

McDuff wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:04 am
Is it worth giving this mod its own subforum? It would be nice to have some discussion threads about builds and blueprints that don't ping Deadlock's phone when we post.
Oh, trust me, the e-mail notifications got filtered out and de-vibrated about an hour after the FFF went out ...

Eh. Ambivalent about this to be honest. Managing the mod portal forum is already a chore. I suppose I could close that one and redirect folks to a subforum here.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

BHakluyt wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:53 am
Quick question, if I understand your license correct we are allowed to make a mod that overwrite your recipes and change things around, right? For free. Example: I want to try and make the punkbots use water alongside the fuel and have it use bottled water from that other mod... The generator equipment manager will have to be able to pull new water bottles too. I hope it can be done even?
Yes, the license asks people not to redistribute copies (modified or not) of any graphics in the mod, but there is nothing in it to stop you making a new mod that has IR as a dependency and overriding the way it works. (Edited to add, for example, this is fresh on the portal, very happy for stuff like that to be popping up, saves me the hassle of compatibility with mods I'm never going to use).

There's no support for "multi-fuelled" burner entities or equipment in Factorio. However you could work around that by using steam barrels or some other new item/recipe that combines fuel, water and a container, and then giving it a chemical fuel value. The genman currently works with anything that can go into any equipment fuel slot, so if you modified the equipment to use other fuel categories then it should just work with those as well.

An early version of IR did assign fuel values to barrelled fuels (returning the empty barrel as the "burnt result") so that you could use barrels of petro in cars, etc., but I removed them because it was pointless when solid fuel exists, it's part of the reason for the variations on solid fuel. It's also really hard to balance because liquid fuels end up with insane MJ values if you just stick with the ratios from vanilla, the energy density of oil is massive compared to water/steam.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Hmm, right, you can't barrel steam in vanilla because it loses information about the temperature, but I guess that nothing prevents for the barrelling to require minimum temperature steam, and then just directly burn the barrels ?
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BurnBarrels
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Roadmap to 1.0.0

Post by Deadlock989 »

I'm about halfway through the balancing stuff that needs doing - but I'm now out of town for the next week and need to concentrate on not-Factorio life for a bit. So it will be another couple of weeks before I can get the last big update out for this mod and call it done.

Some highlights:

- I managed to tweak the rubber tree autoplace peaks so that while they still greatly prefer green and damp, rubber trees also now like to spawn around lake shorelines, even in deserts. This makes desert maps more viable without having to use a starter kit and without having rubber trees just pop up in clumps literally everywhere. The price for this was completely excluding rubber trees from the starting area, because it turns out that most of the starting area is about a centimetre above sea level.

- I have a system in place for an alternative final ore refining process that gives you more control over what proportions of common and rare metals you get. Circuit networks required, obviously.

- Sulphur production will be much less of a continent-hogger, and alloys (ingots from other ingots) will be quicker to make than smelting (ingots from ore products), so the footprint of steel factories will be a bit less mahoosive.

And a ton of other smaller tweaks as well. The last things on the list are purple and yellow science and electronics, then a final pass on rockets/satellites, and I think that'll put it as close to what I wanted as it'll ever get.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

"- I have a system in place for an alternative final ore refining process that gives you more control over what proportions of common and rare metals you get. Circuit networks required, obviously."

That sounds friggin fantastic! Can't wait to check it out...
arequestoridea
Edit- just FYI, playing with Alien Biomes doesn't seem to place rubber trees on the scarce side of things. Always got a lot of them pretty much everywhere.

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

I have a question after reading here, I noticed I made a thumbnail with graphics from your mod. Is this against your license? Just let me know and I change it right away.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

fishycat wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:12 am
I have a question after reading here, I noticed I made a thumbnail with graphics from your mod. Is this against your license? Just let me know and I change it right away.
That's not a thumbnail, it's just a screenshot of game footage, that's clearly fine.

My issue with the other mod wasn't really the thumbnail; they had copied a sprite from my mod into their mod's zipfile and were redistributing it under a completely different license. That's clearly not fine.

I'm now AFK for about a week.

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:50 am
That's not a thumbnail, it's just a screenshot of game footage, that's clearly fine.
That's good to hear. I was a little worried. But now all legit and fine, thanks. :D

Mecejide
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mecejide »

That fact that beam weapons damage affects destroyer robots but not electric arc turrets seems strange to me.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Mecejide wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:41 am
That fact that beam weapons damage affects destroyer robots but not electric arc turrets seems strange to me.
Destroyer robots use their own "ammo type" internally, which is functionally no different to a laser beam except that it deals electricity-type damage, and no entity in vanilla Factorio has any resistance to that as far as I know (as opposed to laser-type damage, which is resisted by ... gates, full stop). The primary function of destroyers is damage.

Electric arc turrets' primary function is the slowdown effect, they are intended as a complement to damage-dealing turrets, not a replacement for them. I even asked for (and got) an update to the tracking algorithm in base Factorio so that slowed enemies' movement would be predicted better by projectile-firing turrets.

I can remove the damage from arc turrets completely if it's too strange as it is. (Edited later to add: I've gone ahead and done this for the next version. I also reverted the destroyer capsule beams to the vanilla FX, so they look and sound marginally different to the arc turret's beam.)

Kylerh15
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kylerh15 »

hey just wanted to say love the mod been playing for the past few weeks and me and some friends have been thinking about starting up a fresh world. i know you said there might be some major changes and recipe changes for the 1.0 release but i was wondering if there would be any changes/additions to the mod settings or if there would be any drastic changes to the mod that we might want to wait for before starting a new game.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Kylerh15 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:43 am
hey just wanted to say love the mod been playing for the past few weeks and me and some friends have been thinking about starting up a fresh world. i know you said there might be some major changes and recipe changes for the 1.0 release but i was wondering if there would be any changes/additions to the mod settings or if there would be any drastic changes to the mod that we might want to wait for before starting a new game.
Thanks. Hard to say - there aren't any really really huge changes, but quite a few recipes have been adjusted - the focus there was mostly post-Iron Age but not completely. Electronics has probably changed the most. Alloys will be quicker to produce than non-alloy ingots so the footprint for bronze and steel lines will be much smaller. Sulphur and sulphuric acid ratios and rate of production are also getting a lot faster / smaller footprint. The only pre-Iron change that might require some re-routing is that glass plates are now a batch recipe like every other smelting recipe, and they need extra tin ingots to make.

There are no changes to mod settings as such. Rubber tree distribution is changing a bit so for existing maps there might be a minor discontinuity in rubber tree spawns in newly generated chunks.

I want to get this out "soon" and it's nearly finished, but I also want to minimise releasing changes that break existing factories so want to get it right first time if possible. My aim was this coming weekend but it's not guaranteed I will hit that. If you wanted to start a fresh map now I think it should be mostly OK but I wouldn't box yourself in to really compact factories with no wiggle room, leave a bit of space.

canisin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by canisin »

Thanks for this information! I was wondering to either continue with my current discovery save or start a new one with 1.0. I guess I can continue with my save and fixing my factory when 1.0 hits can be its own little fun.

Return to “Mods”