[MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (0.9.x)

Post by Deadlock989 »

sidelia wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:36 am
I noticed the projectors didn't make it into the release. Are they something still lined up for future or a scrapped idea?
They're on the bench. The display plates were a cannibalisation of them. Because the projectors are electric, it really needs a new kind of entity added to the base game, one that is a bit like a lamp and a bit like a SimpleEntityWithOwner/Force. It can be done with just the basic lamp entity, but it really screws with the power production GUI, with a separate entry for every different hologram, which gets annoying very quickly. There has been interest and positive reaction to the request, so it may happen one day, but I expect Wube have more important things going on right now.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Bilka wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:07 pm
The tin chest opening and closing sounds is too loud. It is much louder than the passive provider chest which has an acceptable noise level. Most likely all "new chests" are too loud, but I did not try them all.
Fixed for next version.

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (WIP)

Post by Mylon »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:25 pm
RIP bronze gears. You looked like the Factorio logo, but you just didn't find that niche.
What if belts were the reward for bronze age crafting? Take anything that uses copper gears and replace them with bronze gears. Hand filling during the stone/copper age doesn't seem to be too big of a deal since it's already needed for feeding inserters/burner machines anyway.

Bronze seems to have limited use in the iron age so this would solve two problems at once.

MiiNiPaa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MiiNiPaa »

Mylon wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:12 pm
What if belts were the reward for bronze age crafting? Take anything that uses copper gears and replace them with bronze gears. Hand filling during the stone/copper age doesn't seem to be too big of a deal since it's already needed for feeding inserters/burner machines anyway.
I disagree. Nothing is hand-fed in my factory. Even my burner drills are supplied with coal automatically (Even if I had to redesign thing a few times because I forgot to leave the way to feed inserter in the middle of factory block).

Is IR compatible with Helmod, What Is It Really Used For? or other similar mods? Or is there compatibility planned? It would help to decide when things should be produced in place vs produced elsewhere and shipped.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

MiiNiPaa wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:52 pm
Is IR compatible with Helmod, What Is It Really Used For? or other similar mods? Or is there compatibility planned? It would help to decide when things should be produced in place vs produced elsewhere and shipped.
It works well with FNEI. I don't know much about Helmod, have no current plans for it but will read requests. I know that Therenas has been working on something similar to Helmod and I made a couple of changes at their request so that IR's component system works better with that mod.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

French translation coming in the next version, courtesy of Redstylt and SNova, many thanks to them for doing this work.

I'm very happy to accept other community translations. Can only offer thanks and credits in return. Have already had offers to do Italian and German, if you are interested in those, there is a thread about it on the mod portal discussions.
francais.png
francais.png (581.67 KiB) Viewed 4896 times

Therenas
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Therenas »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:56 pm
It works well with FNEI. I don't know much about Helmod, have no current plans for it but will read requests. I know that Therenas has been working on something similar to Helmod and I made a couple of changes at their request so that IR's component system works better with that mod.
Jup, Factory Planner should work perfectly well with IR, I ironed out the problems that I found a couple of weeks ago like Deadlock said. Although the changes Deadlock made should also made it work better with Helmod, so either one will probably work.

ulmennaleith
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ulmennaleith »

I'm playing with helmod, FNEI and What is it really used for, they all work

alercah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by alercah »

Therenas wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:21 pm
Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:56 pm
Jup, Factory Planner should work perfectly well with IR, I ironed out the problems that I found a couple of weeks ago like Deadlock said. Although the changes Deadlock made should also made it work better with Helmod, so either one will probably work.
I found an issue last night: when calculating the number of coal miners needed to power your base, the coal drills themselves are not counted as needing fuel. So e.g. if you have a bunch of machines requiring 100 coal/sec, and you try to add coal mining, you will only add 100 coal/sec, not (100 + coal miner need).

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (0.99.x)

Post by Airat9000 »

я хотел бы узнать совместимость выражена чем? кодами
к boblibrary
and angel refining

I would like to know the compatibility expressed by what? codes
to boblibrary
and angel refining
I want to try to combine :) I'm interested in trying ..

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version: 0.99.1
Date: 08. 09. 2019
Locale:
- French locale added, many thanks to Redstylt and SNova for doing this work.
Fixes:
- Chromed steel rods (redundant in IR) had the wrong ratio of ingredients to results.
- The opening/closing sound volume for tin and bronze chests, and all the storage depot variants, now matches vanilla chests.
- Fixed that duranium alloy could not be forged in any available furnace.
Compatibility:
- AAI: Fixed that AAI was overriding IR's necessary changes to some early vanilla machine recipes, e.g. burner drills.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:32 pm
Version: 0.99.1
Date: 08. 09. 2019
Locale:
- French locale added, many thanks to Redstylt and SNova for doing this work.
Fixes:
- Chromed steel rods (redundant in IR) had the wrong ratio of ingredients to results.
- The opening/closing sound volume for tin and bronze chests, and all the storage depot variants, now matches vanilla chests.
- Fixed that duranium alloy could not be forged in any available furnace.
Compatibility:
- AAI: Fixed that AAI was overriding IR's necessary changes to some early vanilla machine recipes, e.g. burner drills.
:cry: :cry: not angel mod and bob

Space Exploration?
2019-09-08_22-10-19.png
2019-09-08_22-10-19.png (179.14 KiB) Viewed 4710 times

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Just here to congratulate you on your release.

I was planning to retire after my AAI/Bob/Angel/Space Exploration game, but I'll be putting this on my list for a future playthrough. It looks too interesting not to try at least once.

talchas
Inserter
Inserter

Post by talchas »

I'm liking this a lot 5h in, as actually using burner inserters is surprisingly interesting (to the point where I'm ignoring the early game loader from beltboxes+loaders). The millions of (slow) intermediates made the early game speedups being building assemblers rather than more miners/furnaces, which was an interesting change that in a lot of ways makes more sense.

Once I hit iron age however I realized my nearest iron is ~18 chunks away (looking back at the map preview I have a plot more like 10 in the opposite direction through a forest, but that also has a biter nest on top of it), and rails still aren't available until steel. That's a bit far, so I played with some other seeds and it seems to be pretty heavily rng-dependent since it's not a starting area resource. I'm not sure there's any great way to pull down the rng factor there without making it a starting area thing though :/

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

talchas wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:48 pm
Once I hit iron age however I realized my nearest iron is ~18 chunks away (looking back at the map preview I have a plot more like 10 in the opposite direction through a forest, but that also has a biter nest on top of it), and rails still aren't available until steel. That's a bit far, so I played with some other seeds and it seems to be pretty heavily rng-dependent since it's not a starting area resource. I'm not sure there's any great way to pull down the rng factor there without making it a starting area thing though :/
Yeah. Similar thing with RSO support (added in most recent version of RSO thanks to orzelek), as with RSO this is even more polarised.

It's a Catch 22, because if iron is in the starting area along with tin, then there's even more of a tendency for ore patches to overlap, which no-one likes. Iron is also minable with burner drills but you can't use it for an hour or two even if you rush like hell for iron smelting. So it would just be sitting all up in your face, being annoying. But then if it's not in the starting area, RNG says it can be miles away.

Rubber trees are similarly prone to RNG. I threw numbers at Factorio's mystical noise layer system for 6 hours until something came out that wasn't one extreme between literally none anywhere and carpeting the entire planet.

The reason the monowheel was added was to soothe these issues a bit. In my playthroughs, which were either default settings or rail world, one of two things happened. Either iron is just about near enough to run a belt to it without you wanting to die, or it isn't and you have to set up an iron-smelting outpost to bootstrap your first iron ingots and then go straight for rail. I don't think the latter is a bad thing necessarily, quite enjoyed it actually. It's just a mental adjustment. Iron is the new uranium.

Am watching this issue during 0.99.x but like you say, there isn't really much of an alternative.

Edited to add: rails are available before steel. Rail is iron-based in IR.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

You can specify a noise function that is a ring. Inside radius would be the size of the starting area and outside maybe twice the starting area. Then combine that with some spikes for ores that should be near but not in the starting area.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Iron situation seems tenable, I'm dealing with it right now. I set up a forward base where I smelt ingots into chests, then I ferry them back to main base while I have an assembler dedicated to crafting rails. It goes pretty fast, soon I'll have a train ready. I've noticed a lot of iron era research is doable with copper, that helps a lot in the meantime.

I assume the idea was to make trains key to unlocking true automation, like they were in the real world. It'd make for a nice bit contextual framing, and it also makes for a neat logistical challenge that you don't necessarily get in the vanilla game.

I'm using alien biomes which may mess with rubber tree distribution, but I find them pretty difficult to find - which I don't mind at all. It requires a fair bit of exploration, again something you don't get much of in vanilla. In combination with autoforesters, looking for 10 rubber tree saplings to secure yourself a steady supply of rubber wood makes for a fun, organic exploration quest. I'd be down for more exploration opportunities of this kind.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Drury wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:32 am
I'm using alien biomes which may mess with rubber tree distribution, but I find them pretty difficult to find - which I don't mind at all. It requires a fair bit of exploration, again something you don't get much of in vanilla. In combination with autoforesters, looking for 10 rubber tree saplings to secure yourself a steady supply of rubber wood makes for a fun, organic exploration quest. I'd be down for more exploration opportunities of this kind.
This is really good to hear. I do have some ideas on that front. It will be a quite a while before I can work on them though.

talchas
Inserter
Inserter

Post by talchas »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:19 pm

Edited to add: rails are available before steel. Rail is iron-based in IR.
Ah, it's Krastorio that changes that and makes the locomotive require steel. I checked that it hadn't accidentally changed the resource distribution, but didn't check what it did to the tech tree. Definitely would be significantly less annoying then.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

talchas wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:51 am
Ah, it's Krastorio that changes that and makes the locomotive require steel. I checked that it hadn't accidentally changed the resource distribution, but didn't check what it did to the tech tree. Definitely would be significantly less annoying then.
Recommend you suggest this to the Krastorio guys. Electric locos are steel, but the regular locomotive and all its infrastructure are supposed to be emphatically mid-Iron Age. It could well be an oversight on their part - they have done a lot of work on making the two mods mesh, but K loads last so it'd be easy for them to overlook an overwritten recipe. Be nice to them, they are exhausted from trying to cope with IR's savage approach to ripping the tech tree apart.

Return to “Mods”