[MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (0.9.9)

Post by Deadlock989 »

Adamo wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm
For my needs, and because it's interesting, I think the best thing is to try to put things in a place where IR would "sweep them up" along with everything else, so to speak, if you've written things in a way that makes that possible.
I'm happy to add hidden dependencies to IR if it makes other people's lives easier. That way, they can set up everything they want to in their own data.lua phase, and then IR will attempt to apply its tech rebuild to those additions, i.e. what would happen for any mod that comes before "I" in the alphabet anyway.

ThreePounds
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ThreePounds »

I'm encountering a crash when pressing ctrl+G on any entity (e.g. stone furnace)

Code: Select all

The mod Industrial Revolution caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event IndustrialRevolution::deadlock-control-burner-leech (ID 144)
__IndustrialRevolution__/control.lua:251: attempt to index global 'player' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	__IndustrialRevolution__/control.lua:251: in function <__IndustrialRevolution__/control.lua:250>
log: https://pastebin.com/9MpSvgi0

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

richarnd wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:34 pm
Is there an alternative to Squeak Through included (presumably somewhere in the research tree), or a similar mod that's compatible?
They tell me that one of the Picker mods does a better job of that kind of thing than Squeak Through does, but I haven't tested it with IR myself.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

ThreePounds wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:01 pm
I'm encountering a crash when pressing ctrl+G on any entity (e.g. stone furnace)
Fixed in next version.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Adamo wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm
For my needs, and because it's interesting, I think the best thing is to try to put things in a place where IR would "sweep them up" along with everything else, so to speak, if you've written things in a way that makes that possible.
I'm happy to add hidden dependencies to IR if it makes other people's lives easier. That way, they can set up everything they want to in their own data.lua phase, and then IR will attempt to apply its tech rebuild to those additions, i.e. what would happen for any mod that comes before "I" in the alphabet anyway.
Right on. Let me play around and think through what could be interesting. It is helpful that most of my mods are "adamo-X".

ThreePounds
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ThreePounds »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:02 pm
ThreePounds wrote:
Fixed in next version.
Coolio! Is it going to be your own implementation of the burner leech mod? It does sounds powerful early on when everything is powered by burner energy. Should I replace it with said mod while I patiently wait for the fix? ;)

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

ThreePounds wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:39 pm
Coolio! Is it going to be your own implementation of the burner leech mod? It does sounds powerful early on when everything is powered by burner energy. Should I replace it with said mod while I patiently wait for the fix? ;)
No ... It had a stupid internal name which has now changed. "Burner leech" meant that your generator equipment in your armour grid will leech fuel from your inventory (if you want it to). It's now always referred to as "generator manager", which is what it's called everywhere else. I had forgotten that the burner leech mod was a thing.

Will be uploading the fix shortly.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version: 0.9.99
Date: 07. 09. 2019
Fixes:
- Fixed CTRL+G causing an error when trying to use the keyboard to toggle the generator manager.
- Fixed a dopey mistake with AAI compatibility, caused by moving a recipe unlock without checking. Rookie.
- Fixed an issue raised by Explosive Termites, where IR was assuming that vanilla trees are minable. Do as I say, not as I do.
- The mod "Bullet Trails" was marked as incompatible because of conflicts over vanilla turrets. IR already provides its own bullet trails, via literal bullets.
Changes:
- All the supported mods except Larger Lamps were made into hidden dependencies - people seem to be thinking that showing optional dependencies means it's recommended to install everything on the list, it isn't.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tiriscef
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (0.9.x)

Post by tiriscef »

Hey,
a first thought: the handcrafting in the beginning is very annoying as it takes ages due to the high amount of intermediates, a lot of which take a second to craft. You may say that this should incentivise the player to automate the intermediates early on, by 'punshing' him with long crafting times, but I don't think such a thing is necessary in a game that is about automation.
Crafting the first assembler already takes over 100 seconds and makes me feel punished for doing what I think (?) is intended and unavoidable.

Long story short: Maybe give the character a higher handcrafting speed. This wouldn't change the balancing of everything else and make the start a bit more nice.

Aquaholic27
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aquaholic27 »

I don’t know myself, the extra-long handcrafting times made finally getting the automation of inserters, belts, and the basic copper chassis so so, sweet.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

The point of hand-crafting that first assembler is to remind you that every assembler you make makes crafting more assemblers faster, and faster, and faster.

That is literally the game. So buffing hand-crafting will never happen.

I get that the Almost Empty-Handed Start with a Surprisingly Long Burner Phase is not to everyone's taste. I have about 2000 hours in Factorio but I played the initial vanilla start-from-nothing game for a total of about 3 of those hours before I was installing mods to give me bots early.

Which is why I put in starter options of two different types to skip all of that if people want. I don't recommend it, but it's there and there's nothing wrong with it.

Or, just go for a pootle around the block, get some wind in your hair, see the sights.

sidelia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sidelia »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:51 am
The point of hand-crafting that first assembler is to remind you that every assembler you make makes crafting more assemblers faster, and faster, and faster.

I get that the Almost Empty-Handed Start with a Surprisingly Long Burner Phase is not to everyone's taste. I have about 2000 hours in Factorio but I played the initial vanilla start-from-nothing game for a total of about 3 of those hours before I was installing mods to give me bots early.

Which is why I put in starter options of two different types to skip all of that if people want. I don't recommend it, but it's there and there's nothing wrong with it.

Or, just go for a pootle around the block, get some wind in your hair, see the sights.

By the way, I've never, ever just taken a drive in a car for fun- it's always either been combat or looking for ore. That little monowheel is so stinkin fun to putt around in I spent 15 minutes just driving around in my base this evening. You've done amazingly well at not only bringing new life to this game we all love, but also hugely adding to the fun of it :D Thank you!

tiriscef
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tiriscef »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:51 am

But the literal name of the game isn't waiting, but automate. .-.

Well, I also have an absurd amount of hours in this game and a lot more than 3 of those in a burner phase where I started a new map... because I actually like the start of this game and this feeling you describe that things are accelerating. For me this phase doesn't get better by increasing the crafting times and making me watch youtube on my second monitor while I wait 16 minutes for the first 10 assemblers - but rather by giving me something to do.. you know... like building and automating more things. I prefer when ressources are the limiting factor of the early game.

(But okay then, I know the console command to set the handcrafting speed to 4.)

Edit: The Monowheel is awesome!

Edit2: Changed the first sentence because it sounded ill-intended. (I'm sorry, my first language isn't english and I'm often blind to such things)
Last edited by tiriscef on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

YO_MA_MA
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by YO_MA_MA »

I'm only an hour or so in but it looks great. Nice work!
Minor typo: In the tech tree under Bronze Age, "Bronze bearingsR" doesn't need the 'R' at the end.
Not sure if it's intentional or just my sound settings got messed up but the Copper assemblers audio is much louder when running.

ramyalexis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ramyalexis »

Hello!
Can't find rubber sapling tree to make rubber. Any help?
Thank you!

enchant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by enchant »

I'm a couple hours into my first game with this. I'm playing this mod on top of pure vanilla.

First: Holy crap. I'm a big steampunk fan and the graphics and animations in this mod are gorgeous. I ate my breakfast while zoomed in on an assembly machine making copper plate. Looking forward to all the rest. Also looking forward to Katherine of Sky doing a series on this. She's gonna lose her freakin' mind.

I have a question about the burner inserters. I understand that all inserters must be fed coal. This adds an extra level of complexity to automation. Inserters that are taking goods out of an assembly machine must be fed coal by another inserter. But looking at the intro to this mod in FFF, the second image down shows a small section of the factory. Just up/right of center is an assembly machine making belts. It is being fed materials from the top and extracting belts to the right via inserters. But as far as I can see, these inserters aren't getting fed coal. How is that working? Is the player running around hand feeding fuel?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Circular Science dependency (0.9.99):

Code: Select all

WARNING: circular tech tree, triggered by tech: deadlock-iron-age [iron-ingot-from-ore, iron-plate, iron-plate-heavy, iron-tube, iron-gear-wheel, iron-stick, iron-rivet, iron-ball, iron-repair-tool, iron-piston, iron-chassis-small, iron-chassis-large, iron-beam, iron-chest, iron-display]
deadlock-furnaces-1: deadlock-bronze-age, deadlock-stacking-1, deadlock-crating-1 [bronze-furnace]
logistic-science-pack: deadlock-bronze-age, deadlock-grinding-1 [logistic-science-pack]
deadlock-grinding-1: deadlock-furnaces-1, automation, deadlock-bronze-age [bronze-grinder, stone-gravel, sand, carbon-gravel, carbon-powder, copper-ingot-from-gravel, copper-gravel, tin-ingot-from-gravel, tin-gravel, glass-ingot, glass-plate, rubber-natural, bronze-display]

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	...rialRevolution__/code/functions/functions-technology.lua:193: in function 'get_ancestors_of_tech'
	...rialRevolution__/code/functions/functions-technology.lua:197: in function 'get_ancestors_of_tech'
	...rialRevolution__/code/functions/functions-technology.lua:197: in function 'get_ancestors_of_tech'
	...alRevolution__/code/technology/technology-regenerate.lua:109: in main chunk
	[C]: in function 'require'
	...dustrialRevolution__/code/mods/mods-misc-final-fixes.lua:61: in main chunk
	__IndustrialRevolution__/data-final-fixes.lua:10: in main chunk
stack traceback:
	...dustrialRevolution__/code/mods/mods-misc-final-fixes.lua:61: in main chunk
stack traceback:

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

enchant wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:45 am
How is that working? Is the player running around hand feeding fuel?
Yep. Half a stack of coal lasts pretty long in inserters. I also considered installing https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Burner-Leech for a while, it would mean that the machine output inserters fuel themselves from the machine fuel inventory. I ultimately decided against it, I liked the inserter spaghetti challenge.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Bilka wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:54 am
enchant wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:45 am
How is that working? Is the player running around hand feeding fuel?
Yep. Half a stack of coal lasts pretty long in inserters. I also considered installing https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Burner-Leech for a while, it would mean that the machine output inserters fuel themselves from the machine fuel inventory. I ultimately decided against it, I liked the inserter spaghetti challenge.
Burner leech inserters gets stuck with fuel in hand if you use burner assembler and want to insert other materials too.
Inserter Fuel Leech doesn't have this issue.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

MiiNiPaa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MiiNiPaa »

Automated yellow belt production. Next step: motors. Image

Doing this without adjustable inserters is actually fun.

Return to “Mods”