[MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Rithordus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (WIP)

Post by Rithordus »

Reading that new OP after just finding out about this yesterday morning... I've never been more hyped for a mod. This looks to be damn near everything I was looking for in a mod!

Eagerly waiting for when we can get our hands on it!

A_Fall3n_Angel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by A_Fall3n_Angel »

I'm really looking forward to this mod! I love the idea of it, and the artstyle, too.

Aquaholic27
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aquaholic27 »

I’m in love with those graphics - although I’m internally screaming thinking about how hard it’s probably going to be to take those late-game machines. All the more incentive to automate everything to the max - the factory must grow!

As a side note, if it’s alright could I get some clarification on this bit of the license summary?
You do not have permission to showcase the mod on Twitch, Youtube or any other form of social media if you are taking donations or advertising revenue out of that work, without contacting the author first and getting permission.
With ‘showcase’ - does that just mean mod spotlights, or does it mean that if someone did a play through of this mod in addition to other mods, they couldn’t take donations during that stream? (without getting permission, of course.) I’m just slightly confused on it as many streamers have donations as one of their sources of income.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Aquaholic27 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:02 am
With ‘showcase’ - does that just mean mod spotlights, or does it mean that if someone did a play through of this mod in addition to other mods, they couldn’t take donations during that stream? (without getting permission, of course.) I’m just slightly confused on it as many streamers have donations as one of their sources of income.
It means that I don't want and don't permit people to make money out of my several hundreds of hours of work that I'm giving away for free and I'll never see a penny for. Realistically I probably won't be able to enforce it but I just don't approve of it. Probably shouldn't have used the word "showcase" but I'm no lawyer.

Aquaholic27
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aquaholic27 »

That makes sense to me actually - although I still think there should be some distinction between smaller casual streamers getting donations for $2 and larger streamers - but that’s just my take on it.

On the topic of that though, is there anything in the Factorio TOS that prevents you from setting up a Patreon or a Ko-Fi? I couldn’t find anything myself in there - I’m sure people who play the mod a lot would donate, since the bigger mods (like this one, whooo boy that looks like a lotta content) are basically expansion packs that would otherwise cost money to buy.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Aquaholic27 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:12 am
That makes sense to me actually - although I still think there should be some distinction between smaller casual streamers getting donations for $2 and larger streamers - but that’s just my take on it.

On the topic of that though, is there anything in the Factorio TOS that prevents you from setting up a Patreon or a Ko-Fi? I couldn’t find anything myself in there - I’m sure people who play the mod a lot would donate, since the bigger mods (like this one, whooo boy that looks like a lotta content) are basically expansion packs that would otherwise cost money to buy.
There's nothing in the EULA to prevent it as far as I know. I did experiment with Patreon but their model implies an ongoing commitment to work on something and it didn't really feel appropriate. If I could find a way to take one-off donations without broadcasting my real-world identity I'd be all over it. I don't want to make an income off modding, I already have a job.

DIR is really medium-sized in my eyes - yes, there's a lot in it compared to most mods out there, and the original graphics to new game entities ratio is way higher than most, but it doesn't really have the full scope of some of the other big overhauls. I've been working with the Krastorio guys and it's about the same heft as that.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:24 am
If I could find a way to take one-off donations without broadcasting my real-world identity I'd be all over it. I don't want to make an income off modding, I already have a job.
Hmm, maybe Flattr 2.0 ?
https://medium.com/@squidlord/flattr-2- ... 8d3eb2a38d
(But then since someone has to Flattr a webpage that has your content for you to get any money, even when the browser extension does that automatically, you would have to ask Wube to add the Flattr creator-specific code to the forums / mod portal...)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Dadzooks
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dadzooks »

You can use bitcoin, or any other digital currency, to do one time transactions without broadcasting who you are.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Signs. Everyone wants them. Some people want to be them. But too often, we are given a sign and then also handed a literal electron microscope to look at it with. Why? No-one knows.

Not in the Revolution. Here, we make big, hulking signs. Place them down, bam, nine square meters of turf is flattened dead. You mark your territory, it stays marked.

And we don't want to press a keyboard button, hunt around, right click, left click, left click and left click again to get a map marker that matches the sign. We just want to toggle one extra button, once. And when we blueprint the sign that's tied to that map marker, we expect that map marker flag to be stored in the blueprint and be reproduced when built elsewhere, the way grandma said it would happen.

Accept no substitutes.

displayplates.png
displayplates.png (1.64 MiB) Viewed 6558 times

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

And I won't have free time when this mod will be released... Image
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

No AngelBob compatibility :,(

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

Nice work Deadlock989. damn nice work!

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

:D :D good work man!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
questions - mod work in angels and bob add??
i am help in testing and and mods you mods))

and date in mod portal add?

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

SuperSandro2000 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:13 pm
I'm pretty confident you would find Industrial Revolution + Krastorio + Space Exploration provided a sufficiently long game to satisfy...

Rithordus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rithordus »

slippycheeze wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:59 pm
SuperSandro2000 wrote:
I'm pretty confident you would find Industrial Revolution + Krastorio + Space Exploration provided a sufficiently long game to satisfy...
Absolutely this. Not every mod needs to be Angels/Bob's compatible. Theres plenty of room for many different types of experiences. I'm glad more mods are coming out that are their own version and vision of the game.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

slippycheeze wrote:
SuperSandro2000 wrote:
I'd rather patch in Bobs comp when this mod is done and it makes sense. Not abandoning my current save.

Mernom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mernom »

SuperSandro2000 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:07 pm
slippycheeze wrote:
SuperSandro2000 wrote:
I'd rather patch in Bobs comp when this mod is done and it makes sense. Not abandoning my current save.
Pretty sure it's NOT meant to be added to an existing game, so you don't have much of a choice.

Besides, abandoning is a very strong word, no reason you can't come back to it at a later date.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Mernom wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:51 am
SuperSandro2000 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:07 pm
slippycheeze wrote:
SuperSandro2000 wrote:
Pretty sure it's NOT meant to be added to an existing game, so you don't have much of a choice.

Besides, abandoning is a very strong word, no reason you can't come back to it at a later date.
I have the choice of modding to make it work in an existing game.

I don't play two saves. No real point for me.

Anyway getting OT. Waiting for a release and then I decide.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

SuperSandro2000 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 am
Anyway getting OT. Waiting for a release and then I decide.
Definitely a good idea, I can't see the mods working together at all - not due to code compatibility, but due to their very different design philosophies.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Bilka wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:23 am
Definitely a good idea, I can't see the mods working together at all - not due to code compatibility, but due to their very different design philosophies.
That, and a ton of code incompatibility. Big mods which are alphabetically before D, such as Bob's and Angel's, will require hours of hard graft to get working, and I expect the result would be thoroughly meh. It's well beyond the limits of what I'm offering. Just play AngelBob if you want to play AngelBob.

Return to “Mods”