Topics and discussion about specific mods
Oarc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[MOD 0.17] OARC - Multiplayer Spawning Overhaul

Post by Oarc »

I turned my scenario into a mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/oarc-mod

Original scenario post: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=36987

Most relevant info is here: https://github.com/Oarcinae/FactorioSce ... layerSpawn

Not all settings available in the scenario have been carried over to the mod yet.

Let me know if you have questions/issues with the mod.

Solinya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] OARC - Multiplayer Spawning Overhaul

Post by Solinya »

Thanks for this, been eyeing your scenario for a while. Something that's unclear from the mod description - do you still have those perfect circle start areas or does the mod allow for more vanilla-style starting locations? For my server I have a small, fixed number of players that will all start at the same time, so I don't need to worry about generating new locations later in the game.

Oarc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Oarc »

Hi! Thanks for checking it out.

The mod does offer either vanilla style spawns OR the fixed layout random placement spawns. It should be one of the first options listed in the mod. "Enable Vanilla Spawns"

Let me know if you can't get it working or have other questions too.

Solinya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Solinya »

I did a little testing (my multiplayer partner isn't available for a few days), running around a vanilla-style generated solo spawn (far spawn, though I don't know if that applies much in a one-player game). It seems to be okay in that I had the starting resources and nearby bases within some distance weren't so big. Only issue is almost all the nearby alien bases had big worms, which at the start of the game means I have nothing that can actually kill them and their 10 physical armor. (The other bases had medium worms which effectively outheal the starting pistol but at least I could conceivably tech to piercing bullets and take them out.)

Is there a way to swap the closer base worms for a smaller variant? Or is that part of the challenge?

(My eventual goal is to play a railworld multiplayer game with solo spawns.)

Oarc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Oarc »

Yes actually I have a 2 mechanisms for scaling worms but I believe they still need some tweaking. I have several balance changes and fixes coming in the next week or two sometime.

Normally in vanilla if you spawn far away it's all behemoth worms only, but with multiple spawn points, things become weird.

If the "Oarc modified enemy spawning" is not enabled, try to enable that.

Solinya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Solinya »

Just want to say we finally got a chance to try it out in an actual multiplayer game and it worked great. Still had the big worm issue with "modified enemy spawning" enabled, but on railworld it's not too big of a deal (railworld disables enemy expansion so we could just avoid them for a while). Our game used vanilla-style spawns. We also weren't quite sure what the "Regrowth" setting did and the description made it sound highly experimental, so didn't play with that enabled either.

Another thing is I'm not sure if this is from railworld or from oarc, but the starting resources at the starting bases were scattered about. Like I had three copper deposits of about 40-70k each in small bits here and there, and similar distributions for the other types. Not a big problem from a gameplay perspective but it seemed a little weird compared to the standard starting spots I'm used to.

Here's pictures of our two bases. Sorry I didn't grab them closer to the start, but you can sort of see how there's a bunch of small patches scattered about in each base:
Samples

Oarc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Oarc »

That's awesome you got a chance to try it! I'm glad it worked!!

Yeah I'll work on a better way to tweak the worm spawning and let you know once I figure something out.

And with regards to the starting patches, that's just how the vanilla map generation works when you have multiple starting points that are not the default 0,0 ones. It's weird, but I don't think the devs will care to fix it because it's pretty obscure and still playable technically. My only recommendation is to make sure resources are plentiful because I've seen some spawns sometimes have very little of one resource so it becomes a challenge to expand.
Last edited by Oarc on Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solinya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Solinya »

Yeah, it was playable and made for an interesting starting layout. There did seem to be enough resources to easily cover the pre-oil stage at least.

Return to “Mods”