Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.3] Replicators

Post by tno1 »

Chaos_Therum wrote:
tno1 wrote:Works for me.

And awesome mod! :p

Just a suggestion - add Oil Replicator :p

Also add optional support for dytech and treefarm :p

I has manually added them, but maybe more will use if they can use this mod for all the ore generation for every popular mod :p also Bob's ores
You should post that file. I was thinking about adding support myself. But why do something when it has already been done.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/532wxatpcpw0h ... n.lua?dl=0

here it goes into prototypes

i dont think i did more

jamuspsi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.3] Replicators 0.2.1

Post by jamuspsi »

Oh, so when you guys said you'd like to see more rare earth on the map, you meant that there was ZERO outside the starting area. Somehow managed to edit a number I didn't intend to edit. I'll post a fix as soon as I get it well-tested.

Chaos_Therum
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.3] Replicators

Post by Chaos_Therum »

tno1 wrote:
Chaos_Therum wrote:
tno1 wrote:Works for me.

And awesome mod! :p

Just a suggestion - add Oil Replicator :p

Also add optional support for dytech and treefarm :p

I has manually added them, but maybe more will use if they can use this mod for all the ore generation for every popular mod :p also Bob's ores
You should post that file. I was thinking about adding support myself. But why do something when it has already been done.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/532wxatpcpw0h ... n.lua?dl=0

here it goes into prototypes

i dont think i did more
Thanks man. I've been playing with factorio and just itching to have the items be replicable.

tno1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tno1 »

just forgot to add the graphics so copy those from dytech and put it where it gives error

DreamSmith
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DreamSmith »

I added rare earth at tier II at ore cost * 10.

To use, either unzip the original then overwrite with re_replicators, or if you know what your doing merge the zips.
Attachments
re_replicators_0.2.1.7z
overwrite files.
(6 KiB) Downloaded 308 times

jamuspsi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jamuspsi »

DreamSmith wrote:I added rare earth at tier II at ore cost * 10.

To use, either unzip the original then overwrite with re_replicators, or if you know what your doing merge the zips.
How does it feel at that tier?

The original version of the mod worked like that, where there was no mining at all required, but because it's factorio, it curved weird, and you would suddenly have a glut that you could never run out of, even when the pieces replicated VERY slow. That IS part of the fun, but I was really trying to force the player to make secondary bases, to add some complexity back in.

Unfortunately, this version really just seems to slow to a crawl quickly. I'm trying a new version with a somewhat more lenient mining curve and I'll see how that feels. If not, I'll probably do basically what you did here. Curious to hear how that worked out for you though.

DreamSmith
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DreamSmith »

jamuspsi wrote:
DreamSmith wrote:I added rare earth at tier II at ore cost * 10.

How does it feel at that tier?

The original version of the mod worked like that, where there was no mining at all required, but because it's factorio, it curved weird, and you would suddenly have a glut that you could never run out of, even when the pieces replicated VERY slow. That IS part of the fun, but I was really trying to force the player to make secondary bases, to add some complexity back in.

Unfortunately, this version really just seems to slow to a crawl quickly. I'm trying a new version with a somewhat more lenient mining curve and I'll see how that feels. If not, I'll probably do basically what you did here. Curious to hear how that worked out for you though.
Still early game, not set up a Sci 3 line. However, with regular ore spawn, I'm already heavily through the starting ore spawn. If I'd gotten similar to my last play I'd only have had one 7x7 ore patch and wouldn't have made it to my r-e unlock for ages.

I'm not sure the %age per spot like oil is a good thing, I have found that the 2x2 fueled miners give approx the same results on a 'depleted' field as a 7x7 electrical. Maybe a special miner might be an idea, using a sum of covered %ages? Or a small electric 1x1 'drill' maybe. Another option would be to decrease the speed that fields deplete slightly.

Alternatively how about a mining boost module, it would fit more with your expansion bays. A modifier to the mining process that increases odds to get a drop for each tile cycle?

As to resource gluts, a chest buffer to output from a replicator stops production when full. If you want a smaller buffer than a wooden chest then use smart chest/inserter. One of the aims of the game is resource surplus, how that is handled is up to the player.

Please don't try and force me to explore, it breaks my role play. What good is prepping for a colonization if the world is already heavily polluted and lacking of resources by the time they arrive. My game play style is green and compact, with minimal impact on the 'wildlife' (trees or biters) around me. (Yes, I play with tree farm, mainly for the manual seed creation!)

Kiapha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kiapha »

Ok, a few more suggestions here: I found that the game works a lot better if you can replicate crude oil, though it seems a little low cost, similar to the lubricant. Both need balancing which I suck at. Rare earth replication does not seem too unbalanced as long as you set a high time on it - I have eight of the third tier replicators turning it out constantly at orespeed*10 and can barely run a single assembler for magnets. Another thing that would be extremely useful would be the ability to replicate water, which can be quite scarce at times, and is required for many purposes, especially if playing with other mods such as dytech.

Also quick question - how do you get the icons to be transparent? My attempt at making new ones failed and ended up non-transparent.

MaxFirestorm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MaxFirestorm »

I'm curious if anyone has been having problems with Rare Earth spawning in their worlds... A friend and I have been trying to play about with the mod, but the Rare Earth only seems to spawn in the starting area and then absolutely nothing at all. We've gone out for what feels like ages and found no Rare Earth. It just doesn't seem to spawn outside of the starting area, even when set to the highest possible settings and everything else down to its lowest/off...

Not sure if it's a mod conflict because I've tried disabling/re-enabling and it doesn't seem to make it work, but here's my modlist anyway in case someone can shed light on it.... (Currently using base 0.11.6)

Anathera
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anathera »

I quick question. How can i disable solar panels, accumulators, and electric furnaces? I would want to use only the replicators with dytech and its energy mod as im making a modpack for my self.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

set enabled=false for their recipes.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Anathera
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anathera »

I simply cant describe the look on my face when i tried to find the line in the files to change to false....... You could easily read the words "WTF?" on my expression.

Anathera
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anathera »

Yea im not getting it..... there is allready a line in the files that says that the recipe is not enabled. Where i should find it then?

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Right, sorry, I was up a bit too late for that post.
The straightforward way would be to remove their entries from the technology file.
I'm pretty sure there's a more permanent solution that isn't quite so inelegant.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Anathera
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anathera »

Yea i have never tried to any coding before to factorio or any other game so its taking a moment to get a grasp of it.
I suppose i will just try to remove everything related to power. Would be nice if the developer would post the mod in separate modules so people can use the replicators with vanilla power for some added difficulty.

Anathera
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anathera »

Ok i actually managed to remove everything related to power. Next problem was the huge balance issue with dytech power mod. What i ended up doing was to lower replicator base power use from 200kW to 100kW and the multiplier from 4 to 2.
I also added on dytech side only few solarpanels and accumulators to player inventory when the new game starts for initial power. But soon player needs to build steam engines to support replication. This setup seems to work well with dytech if you are removing all iron, copper, coal and stone from the map at start settings. Also i use treefarm mod to provide fuel for dytech steam engines.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Glad to hear you're making progress with your efforts.
Next step is to compile these changes into a modifier mod (or mod patch) that will load after prerequisite mods, that way you're not altering the base files, or directly changing mod files.
Doing the first will prevent updating, and doing either of those will make multiplayer harder to do, since you can't simply disable mods that aren't common between the players.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you a better approach, as removing an entity completely is something I've not actually done myself, so I'm in the same boat if I decided to do so.
I believe that removing an entity in a mod patch would mostly just involve having the desired entities to be removed exist as blank entries in the data to be loaded. i.e. the data file would contain the usual format of the lua data files, but would only contain name=<entity name here> for the entire entity to be removed. But again, haven't actually done this specifically.

I would recommend reading through various mod development topics and seeing how some of the more prolific authors have addressed the things you're having trouble with. drs and bob come to mind as good cases.

Anathera
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anathera »

I had a bit of work going trough all the files and managed to root out everything so if i wanted i could chop the mod to separate modules. Anyway i was making this pack only for my self so i guess i dont need to make it as a patcher. One thing did point it self out on the mod. The power requirements for the replicators is too big and the output of the panels dont make sense either. With the current settings when i check power usage the rest of the factory apart from replicators does not look like to take power at all. After lowering the power usage it is still higher than any vanilla item and has a nice difficulty curve in it when i am using vanilla panels and steam engines. And with dytech i keeps the difficulty as you also need to compensate for dytech power needs. I am sorry to say but with one simple setting it feels like i rendered replicator power items useless. They did feel a bit cheaty too. Still love the mod so dont get me wrong on what im trying to say.

saneman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by saneman »

Just please fix the bug that doesn't allow rare earth to spawn outside starting area, you can't find a trace of rare earth anywere beyong the starting area.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

0.11.8 work?

Return to “Mods”