[MOD 0.16 - 1.0] Realistic Electric Trains

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Railgun14234
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16, 0.17] Realistic Electric Trains

Post by Railgun14234 »

im just wondering, how exacaly do i install this mod. becouse of that ( look in the picture that i attached )
Attachments
Annotation 2019-06-19 125617.png
Annotation 2019-06-19 125617.png (4.16 KiB) Viewed 6318 times

JAetherwing
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JAetherwing »

I have no idea what you want to tell me with that picture; just download the mod from the mod portal or through the ingame mod menu.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Just figured it was polite to let you know I posted a request to support this mod in the FARL forum. Looking at the source of the two mods, I'm pretty certain that support is all needed on the FARL side, not here.

It probably shouldn't come as a surprise to you that I very much enjoy the mod, and appreciate your work creating it. Thank you! I can't say more because, well, this just works. 😺

Railgun14234
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Railgun14234 »

well, i figured out that all i had to do was pull out the Realistic_Electric_Trains_0.4.3 in to the mods folder, and i could just delete the rest, well, anyway, sorry for wasting youre time.

Railgun14234
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Railgun14234 »

Railgun14234 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:07 pm
well, i figured out that all i had to do was pull out the Realistic_Electric_Trains_0.4.3 in to the mods folder, and i could just delete the rest, well, anyway, sorry for wasting youre time.
well, i would if i had the official version, but i sadly only have the non official version, tho i wish i had the official one.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

@ moderators why is this topic in the trash area? It looks like a completely normal mod presentation topic to me.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] I'm clueless on why this topic ended in trash subforum. I'm betting it's a misclick, but couldn't find when it was moved there, despite looking at the moderation logs for quite some time.
Moving it back to Mods Ssubforum
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

JAetherwing
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JAetherwing »

Thanks for restoring the thread.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Koub wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:51 am
I'm clueless on why this topic ended in trash subforum.
Wouldn't be the person talking about their pirate copy of the game just above, would it? Not the mod authors fault, but... :)

thriem
Inserter
Inserter

Post by thriem »

• Love the idea
  • trouble at covering 100% of rails (attachment)
  • Higher capacity or batteries as fuel - so they would be able to accelerate out of a dead spot[*
Personally - I would like to see the rails modded - not the signals. Guess this would be more of a graphical challenge - but would increase QoL - at least in my point of view.

However, I wanted to provide feedback, no offence or "persuasion" implied.
[Edit - screenshot improvements]
Attachments
Routing issue
Routing issue
Screenshot 2019-08-25 at 10.33.15.png (1.83 MiB) Viewed 6163 times

JAetherwing
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JAetherwing »

Part of the idea of this mod was, to not remove the difficulty of setting up a fuel supply, but to replace it with another challenge of setting up a power supply.

A simple fix for the dead spot problem would be to have a locomotive on either side of the train, but facing the same direction. If one of them is in a dead spot, the other one is still powered just fine.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

thriem wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:30 am
  • Love the idea
  • trouble at covering 100% of rails (attachment)
  • Higher capacity or batteries as fuel - so they would be able to accelerate out of a dead spot[*
Personally - I would like to see the rails modded - not the signals. Guess this would be more of a graphical challenge - but would increase QoL - at least in my point of view.
Modding is rather on the limited side, and I'm not sure that rails *can* be modded in a way that would work here. Certainly, the attachment behaviour is completely tied to signals. Anyway, the interesting question is *why* you want that? What would it change? (I can infer you think it solves the "100% coverage of rails" problem, but I don't want to try reading your mind. Never works as good as you would think.)

Anyway, to your coverage problem: your issue is that you are trying to build to the density possible with vanilla trains, while using a mod that changes the way fuel works. You can't pack that tight with RET. You are going to have to adjust your build to have more space for power coverage by having additional straight rail between those joins -- or to rely on the internal buffer of the locomotive(s), or on placing them at both ends in the same direction as in <L-CCCC-<L or equivalent, so you minimize time that both engines are on a power-free zone.

If you want electric powered trains that work from some other mods, multiple mods exist:

If you want powered rails, rather than power lines attached to them, https://mods.factorio.com/mod/RailPowerSystem provides for you.
If you want batteries as fuel, both https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ElectricTrain and https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BatteriesNotIncluded provide.

In both cases you can have the same density of layout without the logistic challenge of the power attachments. For me, one attraction of RET is that it does require different rail designs than vanilla trains do -- and that makes it something other than just "forget about fuel", which is the net effect of the other mods in my opinion.

Not that I mind you wanting that: I hope you enjoy whichever of them best fits your idea of a good train system for Factorio, and enjoy the game!

catsup8
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by catsup8 »

This is cool.

I have a suggestion. Could you add some regenerative braking capabilities as an internal feature of the train (say for the Mk.2 locos) or as an external module?

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Please update to 0.18
Awesome useful mod for trains
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

JAetherwing
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16 - 1.0] Realistic Electric Trains

Post by JAetherwing »

With the release of 1.0 I've decided to retire this project. After the update to 1.0, this mod is now no longer under active development.

That last update included a pretty crude 3D model, by the way. If you don't like that, you can just not update, there were no other changes.

I've decided to stop for two reasons. First, now that the game itself is done, there're most likely not going to be major changes to the API, thus this mod is likely to remain stable as it is and I don't have to invest as much time anymore.

Second, and probably more importantly, it has become a pain to try to improve on this mod, as it does things that are really not meant to be done with the Factorio API. See the internals section in the main post for details. I simply don't want to hack a beautiful game anymore using a language I despise (Sorry, I just don't like Lua at all).

This mod is likely going to remain stable for some time, but don't expect further updates from me. If you want to take over this project and improve on it's graphics or logic, please message me. Instead of forking the project and creating a new mod, you can then be added as a collaborator to this mod.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

JAetherwing, thank you for many years of awesome modding! It definitely added to my Factorio experience.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

I can understand needing a break. I'm only maintaining my mods without actually playing for over a year now.

However from what I've gathered on discords modding channel 1.1 will break a lot.

GeneralTank
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GeneralTank »

Hey I managed to get this mod working in 1.1 Is there a way to get my fixed version uploaded to the original mod page. Otherwise I'm going to upload it myself.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

You can’t upload an update to someone else's mod, unless they added you as a collaborator. Since the mod is published under MIT license you can however publish the mod under a new name, as long as you give credit to the original author and use MIT as well.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

There's a conversation in the Github page about handing it off and there might already be a handoff in the works. Go there if you want to chime in.

Return to “Mods”