[MOD 0.15-0.17] Research causes evolution

Topics and discussion about specific mods
H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[MOD 0.15-0.17] Research causes evolution

Post by H8UL »

Hello, I recently adopted a mod called "Research causes evolution": https://mods.factorio.com/mod/research_causes_evolution

It replaces vanilla enemy evolution with a new mechanic: unlocking technologies increases biter evolution.

I really liked the idea but the mod had issues, and it was unnerving that you couldn't see how research would effect evolution. Well, the original author was happy for me to take it over. I've done a complete rewrite and it has a bunch of new features. It now shows the effect of technology in the research tree, so you can plan ahead. It also let's you decide whether the effect of technologies on evolution is weighted towards early game, late game, or equal throughout. The default is "early" to give the familiar effect that evolution increase slows down as the game progresses.

Enjoying the way it plays so far and it's a candidate for my "must-have" mod list. It means you can keep biters for the logistics challenge, rather than as a significant time pressure. Particularly helpful on games with expensive recipes, e.g. marathon settings. You've still got a small time pressure because you must claim new territory before resources run out, and build up defenses before pollution reaches spawners. But you don't have the time pressure on research itself. Quite the opposite in fact. There is now a sense of picking technologies in a tactical fashion and spending time in each tier of technology. It's certainly not an easy mode; with the default settings you can easily end up past 20% evolution without being ready if you research stuff you don't yet need.

That really changes up the game and breaks some bad habits. There's a tendency to rush mid-tier technologies, so they become obsolete before you really experience them or automate their recipes.

Admit it, you've run out of useful research to do before you've had chance to automate the next science pack, haven't you? Well, you'll have to rethink that approach if you're using Research causes evolution, especially on a deathworld ;)

Last edited by H8UL on Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shameless mod plugging: Ribbon Maze

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Research causes evolution

Post by CJ5Boss »

I agree, mid-tier research is a bit rushed. I like the mod idea, using this as a way to limit yourself to only researching what you need at the time.

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Research causes evolution

Post by H8UL »

Support for 0.17 has now been released

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15-0.17] Research causes evolution

Post by Molay »

How does it integrate with mods that add researches, angel bobs in particular? Will the increased amount of researches affect the mod balance? Or are those researches not handled by the mod? I really do like the idea because I like 10x science cost multiplier, but I'm unsure about the specifics. Will be starting an angel game tomorrow and might pick your mod up, it sounds really like something I need ;)

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by H8UL »

Molay wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:26 pm
How does it integrate with mods that add researches, angel bobs in particular? Will the increased amount of researches affect the mod balance? Or are those researches not handled by the mod? I really do like the idea because I like 10x science cost multiplier, but I'm unsure about the specifics. Will be starting an angel game tomorrow and might pick your mod up, it sounds really like something I need ;)
Sorry, I missed your question somehow.

All research is handled the same way so it should work with any mod automatically.

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Molay »

And I missed your reply! But starting a new campaign now, so time to use this mod ;)

Cheers

GrimerX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GrimerX »

I posted an updated to this as it seems to work just fine in 1.1 : https://mods.factorio.com/mod/research_ ... grimerxfix
I am happy to take it down if H8UL continues work on it. I've made no logic changes.

Return to “Mods”