[MOD 1.1] Will-o'-the-Wisps updated

Topics and discussion about specific mods
mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] Will-o'-the-Wisps updated

Post by mk-fg »

Uploaded 0.0.53 update, which (hopefully) fixes any such map-regeneration shenanigans, and addresses some other minor inconsistencies.

Unfortunately it was done in a rather radical way (to get rid of some old error-prone data structures) and with only limited testing, so not entirely sure if it'll be an improvement over more well-tested old logic wrt bugs, even if that was the intent.
Bug reports are welcome.
Will hopefully find a bit more time to play myself and see if I can bump into anything there too.

Bloodymight
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bloodymight »

mk-fg wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:46 pm
It's definitely something with a ton of sprites - when loading game, it passes lua init with something like 3-4G iirc, but when it gets to loading sprites, quickly goes over 11G and segfaults due to lack of memory.
Is there a way for me to see which mod causes this without the need to test "every" single mod?... since it takes a little while to start :D

btw. currently running your latest update with no issues

Edit: well seems like "Rampant" is the main cause or THE cause

after removing Rampant, RAM usage went from 13GB to 800 MB :shock:

mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mk-fg »

Bloodymight wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:26 am
Is there a way for me to see which mod causes this without the need to test "every" single mod?... since it takes a little while to start :D
There are debug tools and console commands in the game, specifically to track mod resource usage, as also mentioned earlier.
Some wiki page probably lists them all just one search away.
Bloodymight wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:26 am
Edit: well seems like "Rampant" is the main cause or THE cause
after removing Rampant, RAM usage went from 13GB to 800 MB :shock:
But yeah, one simple and usually not too time-consuming way is a bisection method - disable half of the mods, determine which half is responsible, then disable half of that, repeat - reducing number of iterations from n to log2(n).

Maybe worth checking Rampant's forum thread about the issue, as it definitely should not contain 15 gigs of monster sprite sheets, so maybe there's some factorio option, incompatibility or data layout problem that makes it eat so much memory.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

I hope this mod gets updated to 0.17! Not in a hurry just yet, but hopefully soon! :D

mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mk-fg »

Yeah, want to play 0.17 myself, and definitely with the mod, so will probably update it then.
Actually thought to start new game few days ago when it released, but then seeing daily patches on twitter thought "hmm, nah, should wait a couple of days for major bugs to be ironed-out" :)

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

mk-fg wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:17 pm
Yeah, want to play 0.17 myself, and definitely with the mod, so will probably update it then.
Actually thought to start new game few days ago when it released, but then seeing daily patches on twitter thought "hmm, nah, should wait a couple of days for major bugs to be ironed-out" :)
That is a fine plan. I am currently playing vanilla (only) at the moment with 0.17, with the intention to wait for modded play. I can try to help find bugs in vanilla. I figured I would be giving the mod community a few weeks to update anyway.

mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mk-fg »

Uploaded to 0.1.0 version, which should work with 0.17.x.
Didn't test it much yet, but don't think there were any breaking lua-api changes, so should probably work fine.
Or even better than before in fact, as I've updated lighting to use new LuaRending API instead of creating explosions under all wisp positions every other tick, though it didn't seem to cause any performance issues even on my 8yo machine, despite being such an ugly hack.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17.x] Will-o'-the-Wisps updated

The latest changenotes… what do you mean by non-player triggers?

mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mk-fg »

RocketManChronicles wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:43 am
The latest changenotes… what do you mean by non-player triggers?
Description when hovering pointer over that mod setting probably explains it better:
Changes wisps in surrounding area to not become angry if something not directly linked to player kills them.
Can be useful with various "environmental hazard" mods which damage/kill entities on the map randomly.
on_entity_died event for killed wisp normally doesn't check what killed it and makes all wisps in the "retaliation radius" area aggressive (by switching them from "wisp" to "wisp_attack" force).
This option, when enabled, adds a check for event.force and event.entity.force (can be empty in either case) and only makes wisps aggressive if this force has connected player in it.

Added this option to specifically address this issue: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Will-o-th ... 000b490a53
I.e. meteorites falling from the sky are killing wisps and make them aggressive towards the player, even though they are clearly not to blame for this :)

This check is optional because normally anything that kills wisps is kinda player-related, and I'm not entirely sure if all player actions are correctly traced back to them via above force/entity checks, esp. when taking mods into consideration (e.g. can be a gun that creates same meteorite entities), so default-best is to just assume that it's some kind of player action that kills them, unless that option is enabled.
(and even if not, what does it matter what made them angry, unless it's something entirely environmental happening all the time, like weather)

Guess "due to non-player actions" in changelog.txt is a bad wording, should've said something like "non-player forces" instead.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Thanks for the explanation. I see where you added it all together for such events. I love the added aggression from the wisps, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to make them any easier. :)

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

What is this?!?!

mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mk-fg »

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:28 pm
What is this?!?!
A second coming of Our Lord? :)

If it's unselectable, so is actually a toxic-cloud-type purple wisp, maybe some other mod that automatically enhances enemies scaled it up somehow?
Though it gotta be complicated to scale stuff, and why'd other mods scale clouds... so I'd think it's from some other mod entirely :)

mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mk-fg »

Though maybe if something in lua glitched and spawned a ton of purples at exactly same place... maybe in some kind of fast singularity-like event involving red wisp getting damaged very fast, splitting many times immediately, then all of them getting killed, producing all purple residue there.
Weird that it seem to glow, but maybe that's what happens when lights and purple spries overlap a lot.

EDIT: if it really is a singularity of purple wisps - watch out, it gotta destroy anything in its path that it can damage pretty much immediately :)

EDIT: also, is it 0.16.* factorio?
Seems weird that some of the purples don't have lights, though don't remember if maybe I put a no-light option into the pool of random light options at some point. In 0.16 they used to "loose" the light shortly before dying, as lights were added by short explosions every Nth game tick by code, with check to stop doing that when ttl was expiring, while in 0.17 it's done via new 0.17-specific API where lights are just attached to things as they spawn and don't change.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Well, it may be a cluster of purple wisps; I would believe that more than anything. I am playing with Bob's, Natural Evolution, and Rampant AI mods. I have had to deal with the NE fire enemies setting forest fires at night... which you can understand is an absolute nightmare. The only way I found this was the large number of buildings destroyed in just a few seconds. My wall is just above this screenshot, and this thing melted everything instantaneously. LOL

This is 0.17.60+ so the lighting should be good. The mod Night Brightness may be affecting the lighting as it is making nighttime very very dark. Also, this is through my map view, so that may be affecting the lighting too. Just throwing ideas out there.

Thanks for a good mod! Just glad I caught this rarity! :D

mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mk-fg »

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:13 pm
Maybe it should get a new dev though, as I didn't really do anything with it since 0.16.x days, just updated for compatibility.
And there are many interesting things that can be done, with at least visuals and more complex behaviors being no-brainer ones.

Not sure if I'll get back to factorio myself - feel like seen all there's to see after returning to it in 0.17.x, and that's generally how I interact with games.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

mk-fg wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:39 am
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:13 pm
Maybe it should get a new dev though, as I didn't really do anything with it since 0.16.x days, just updated for compatibility.
And there are many interesting things that can be done, with at least visuals and more complex behaviors being no-brainer ones.

Not sure if I'll get back to factorio myself - feel like seen all there's to see after returning to it in 0.17.x, and that's generally how I interact with games.
If anything, I have been looking to get more into programming with my friends and we've talked about making mods for a couple games, Factorio being one. I still have to learn Lua, but am willing to take on owning this mod if you are desiring such a wish. You and I have discussed ideas about a year ago for this mod, as I was checking it out and learning it. Now, would not be a bad time to pick it up. :)

mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mk-fg »

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:54 am
If anything, I have been looking to get more into programming with my friends and we've talked about making mods for a couple games, Factorio being one. I still have to learn Lua, but am willing to take on owning this mod if you are desiring such a wish. You and I have discussed ideas about a year ago for this mod, as I was checking it out and learning it. Now, would not be a bad time to pick it up. :)
Yeah, that'd be great.

Gimme your name on mod portal (I think it doesn't have to be same as on the forums) and I'll add you owners of the mod, so you can edit everything about it.
Probably can't be done about the forum thread (so you can e.g. edit top post), but it's easy to start a new one, if it's even necessary.
There's also github repo, which you can fork and update the link, or start a new one, but it's also just a tool I use, not needed in general (might be useful for history, e.g. to check reasoning behind some code by when it was added).

There is an alternative option to fork the mod again by copying it to e.g. separate "Will-o-Wisps 3" mod (though with maybe a bit more creative name than that).
Dunno if better, just won't have any baggage from the old mod - i.e. no old users, threads, links, assumptions, etc.
I did this with the original mod as it was for different factorio version anyway, and there's no need to even ask permission in this case (already given in the license), plus since was changing things there to what I wanted, so that any old users won't complain :)

EDIT:
Don't think portal allows to change owners of the mod immediately, only "Add Collaborators", which "can edit the mod, publish releases, and moderate the discussion section. They cannot edit permissions.", though maybe it can be transferred after adding collaborators (as viewtopic.php?t=40543 suggests should be possible).
Apparently can't just remove it either, only mark as deprecated, removing from any public listings.

Return to “Mods”