[MOD 0.16.x] NiceFill

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] NiceFill

Post by Reika »

staviq wrote:
Reika wrote:I am having an issue where this mod causes landfill to place water, which makes landfill completely useless - and kills the player if standing too close.

ChokePoint might be involved; does this mod refire the on_chunk_generated?

EDIT: It appears you use a second surface, which ChokePoint is going to carve up as it does the main one. Thus, Nicefill appears to be placing water from its second surface.
I'm gonna look at this when I go back from work, but generally the hidden surface is sacred, and if a mod tried to modify it it will break things. Not to worry, I'll try to persuade the other mods dev to exclude nicefill surface :)
I made ChokePoint only run on the Nauvis surface, which is what it was really intended for all along anyways. This should fix the issue.

usafphoenix
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by usafphoenix »

Odd sort of behaviour when paired with Factorio World (and other mods, but assuming factorio world x NiceFill is cause)
tiles have a frequent chance of not changing to landfill, and if you run along while landfilling, it can sometimes result in player death.
edit: just saw post by reika, appears to be the same issue, which makes me think it may not be specific to factorio world x nicefill (chokepoint was not included in my save), thus it may potentially be triggered by several various mods independently of each other.

staviq
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by staviq »

usafphoenix wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:44 am
Odd sort of behaviour when paired with Factorio World (and other mods, but assuming factorio world x NiceFill is cause)
tiles have a frequent chance of not changing to landfill, and if you run along while landfilling, it can sometimes result in player death.
edit: just saw post by reika, appears to be the same issue, which makes me think it may not be specific to factorio world x nicefill (chokepoint was not included in my save), thus it may potentially be triggered by several various mods independently of each other.
1. Can you give me your full mod list ?
2. Multiplayer or Singleplayer ?
3. If NiceFill fails to process landfill there will be a message "NiceFill failed". Do you see this message ?

If you have landfill placing water only sometimes, it's a completly different problem that i have never seen before.

EDIT: i just took a peek at the Factorio Worlds source, and it so happens that it does not filter surfaces the game uses, therefore, it forces it's map generation on all surfaces, and so it screws with NiceFill because it prevents it from creating a surface without water.

There is a possibility this is unfixable, because FW does not use factorio mapgen at all, even if NF could create its surface, it would not follow the terrain of the main surface, and you would pretty much get a random texture on the landfill.

npuldon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by npuldon »

you mod errors out now with the latest update. When you ghost place stone brick you get a constant in game error while your bots are performing the construction. I reverted back to the previous version without further issues.

staviq
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by staviq »

npuldon wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:20 pm
you mod errors out now with the latest update. When you ghost place stone brick you get a constant in game error while your bots are performing the construction. I reverted back to the previous version without further issues.
Thanks for the report, should be fixed now. Updated mod should be available in the next couple of minutes.

AreYouScared
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AreYouScared »

Anyway it can NOT spam the server console? that'd be nice? Latest version 0.1.7

I would upload the log file, but its almost 150MB and counting

staviq
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by staviq »

cjmwid wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:59 am

Anyway it can NOT spam the server console? that'd be nice? Latest version 0.1.7

I would upload the log file, but its almost 150MB and counting
Sorry for that, fixed.

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

I'm trying to regenerate map under existing factory (because it was created long ago with an old version of map generator).
viewtopic.php?p=391813
Seems you know how to "ask" map generator to create new tiles/chunks.
Maybe you could say something useful in above mentioned theme?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Dixi wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:55 am
I'm trying to regenerate map under existing factory (because it was created long ago with an old version of map generator).
viewtopic.php?p=391813
Seems you know how to "ask" map generator to create new tiles/chunks.
Maybe you could say something useful in above mentioned theme?
You can try running the scrips shown in this tread, or if you want to keep achievements run it as mod I attached here. viewtopic.php?f=49&t=64145&hilit=script ... 20#p392065
The mod can be safely deleted after it converted a save.

Warning:
Depending on map size the script might freeze the game for up to an hour.
Either script seems t be quite memory hungry.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Found a compatibility issue with Creative Mod.
With instant blueprint on, when I place a huge concrete ghost section, Creative Mod will instantly complete the ghosts with concrete. However, when NiceFIll is enabled too, this happens instead:

Code: Select all

17.892 Error MainLoop.cpp:1092: Exception at tick 2563342: The mod Creative Mod caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event creative-mod::on_tick (ID 0)
The mod NiceFill caused a non-recoverable error.

Error while running event nicefill::on_robot_built_tile (ID 47)
__nicefill__/control.lua:241: attempt to index field 'surface' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	__nicefill__/control.lua:241: in function <__nicefill__/control.lua:232>
stack traceback:
	__creative-mod__/scripts/util.lua:160: in function 'raise_event'
	__creative-mod__/scripts/util.lua:252: in function 'raise_event_for_revived_tile_ghosts'
	__creative-mod__/scripts/util.lua:283: in function 'revive_tile_ghost_and_raise_event'
	__creative-mod__/scripts/cheats.lua:2735: in function 'tick'
	__creative-mod__/scripts/events.lua:177: in function <__creative-mod__/scripts/events.lua:146>
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'raise_event'
	__creative-mod__/scripts/util.lua:252: in function 'raise_event_for_revived_tile_ghosts'
	__creative-mod__/scripts/util.lua:283: in function 'revive_tile_ghost_and_raise_event'
	__creative-mod__/scripts/events.lua:177: in function <__creative-mod__/scripts/events.lua:146
According to the trace, both this and CM are causing a non-recoverable error, but with this disabled, CM no longer causes the error.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

staviq
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by staviq »

MasterBuilder wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:23 am
Found a compatibility issue with Creative Mod.
With instant blueprint on, when I place a huge concrete ghost section, Creative Mod will instantly complete the ghosts with concrete. However, when NiceFIll is enabled too, this happens instead:

17.892 Error MainLoop.cpp:1092: Exception at tick 2563342: The mod Creative Mod caused a non-recoverable error.

Error while running event creative-mod::on_tick (ID 0)
The mod NiceFill caused a non-recoverable error.

Error while running event nicefill::on_robot_built_tile (ID 47)
__nicefill__/control.lua:241: attempt to index field 'surface' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	__nicefill__/control.lua:241: in function <__nicefill__/control.lua:232>
stack traceback:
	__creative-mod__/scripts/events.lua:177: in function <__creative-mod__/scripts/events.lua:146>
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'raise_event'
	__creative-mod__/scripts/events.lua:177: in function <__creative-mod__/scripts/events.lua:146
According to the trace, both this and CM are causing a non-recoverable error, but with this disabled, CM no longer causes the error.
I've seen this before.
Here is the problem with Creative mod:

NiceFill needs to know where things are going on, and especially on which surface. CM raises the event on_ROBOT_built_tile, when you place the tiles, to inform other mods that tiles were placed. Except this event does not contain info about the surface, the only way to get it is to check what surface the robot is on, the one that placed the tile. Spoiler alert, there is no robot. CM fakes this event with a robot that does not exist, hence the confusion among the mods.

And all that is caused by the fact, that for some unexplained reason, long time ago, Devs decided that "on_player_built_tile" event will contain the surface reference and "on_robot_built_tile" won't.

This is one of the reasons, Creative mod is incompatible with so many other mods, it's "hacky".

It's not like i'm ignoring the problem, i'd gladly fix it if i had a way of doing that without breaking compatibility with other mods.

Also gimme your logs, because i don't even know what version of the game you are on.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

staviq wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:18 am
Also gimme your logs, because i don't even know what version of the game you are on.
0.17.4, NF 0.1.10, CM 1.0.4.

I solved (avoided) the issue with:

if (event.robot.surface == nil) then
            return;
        end
Added just before line 241 in control.lua.
It obviously won't work with CM handling ghost landfill, but it prevents the error and is good enough for my purposes.

Log attached if you still want it.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(15.48 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

staviq
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by staviq »

MasterBuilder wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:19 am
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:18 am
0.17.4, NF 0.1.10, CM 1.0.4.

I solved (avoided) the issue with:

if (event.robot.surface == nil) then
            return;
        end
Added just before line 241 in control.lua.
It obviously won't work with CM handling ghost landfill, but it prevents the error and is good enough for my purposes.

Log attached if you still want it.
I made it mostly work, you just have to disable water blending in NF mod settings ( you can do it on the fly, without reloads ).

Currently, with water blending it makes a checker pattern :) I'll try to fix it tomorrow, for some reason, CM sends separate event for every tile in the blueprint and it makes NF confused about where the blueprint edges are.

Frenzier
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Frenzier »

I found a bug/conflict, when using this mod together with Alien Biomes, at least in swamp inland shallow water, the landfill imitates surrounding shallow water, so doesnt fill it, it consumes the landfill but the shallow water remains, disabling NiceFill solved the issue.

grumd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by grumd »

Found a bug with this mod. I landfill some water and immediately die.
Save file: https://puu.sh/D7lFt.zip (also attached it).
After loading this save don't move and landfill like this: https://puu.sh/D7lHs.png
Result: https://puu.sh/D7lIi.png
Attachments
TEST.zip
(6.69 MiB) Downloaded 117 times

DaCyclops
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaCyclops »

Frenzier wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:36 pm
I found a bug/conflict, when using this mod together with Alien Biomes, at least in swamp inland shallow water, the landfill imitates surrounding shallow water, so doesnt fill it, it consumes the landfill but the shallow water remains, disabling NiceFill solved the issue.
I'm having this issue too. It appears that NiceFill is treating "water-mud" as a viable filling option, with water blending both on and off. It also does a chunk regen, which causes a nice big lagspike every time it tries to fill.

I have made it mostly work by adding an extra check on line 203ish that if NFSTile.name is "water-mud" to not do the table.insert call.
At least lets me use the mod normally in most places, and reverts to standard (though still has the lagspike) for this one usecase.

RockDeicide
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RockDeicide »

It looks like current approach to landfill by generating a chunk with world settings that feature no water causes the landfill to not be aware of beaches: I want to extend the beach into water, but it puts down grass instead of sand.

Phantum
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Phantum »

So apparently if I try to use the click and drag feature on a large selection of landfill, it murders the stack of it exponentially faster the bigger the area you have.

I killed 3,000 landfill in less than a second on an 8x8 selection just by trying to click and drag.
---
I am a Streamer,
Fallen Sun Gaming by Name,
Factorio is Sometimes my Game.
For Some Goodness
Join me
on http://www.twitch.tv/fallensungaming

FSG may or may not be subliminally implanted in this signature

staviq
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by staviq »

Phantum wrote: ↑
Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm
So apparently if I try to use the click and drag feature on a large selection of landfill, it murders the stack of it exponentially faster the bigger the area you have.

I killed 3,000 landfill in less than a second on an 8x8 selection just by trying to click and drag.
I need some details, is landfill not being placed at all or is the texture wrong ? Are you using rso ? Are you getting any errors in the chat ?

Phantum
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Phantum »

Sun May 12, 2019 10:37 pm
Phantum wrote: ↑
Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm

I need some details, is landfill not being placed at all or is the texture wrong ? Are you using rso ? Are you getting any errors in the chat ?
So it was using land fill on every block, No to RSO, I am using alien biomes, so basically if I made a 20 x 20 square to click and drag the landfill, it tries to replace every single block it can, every single time I click and drag, so 400 landfill each time I move in any direction is gone, it just keeps replacing itself. Texture is fine for the most part when I was using it, and I wasn't getting any errors in the chat.

I'm thinking that it might be trying to replace the alien biomes ground.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
BA Megabase is my modlist for what I have running.
---
I am a Streamer,
Fallen Sun Gaming by Name,
Factorio is Sometimes my Game.
For Some Goodness
Join me
on http://www.twitch.tv/fallensungaming

FSG may or may not be subliminally implanted in this signature

Return to β€œMods”