[MOD] Deadlock's Stacking Beltboxes & Compact Loaders

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] Deadlock's Stacking Beltbox (& Compact Loaders)

Post by Deadlock989 »

Thales7 wrote:https://mods.factorio.com/mod/underground-pipe-pack
This mod create a underground pipe that connect 2 undergrounds pipes without on-ground part (underground junction).
I suggest (Whit permission and help of this mod creator) create a same system to underground belt.
Belts don't work anything like pipes - a pipe junction splits in equal directions (assuming equal capacity in each direction) and flow can go both ways depending on pressure differential - belts are nothing like that. Sounds like you want an underground version of something like this. Not really in scope for this mod, sorry.

Xode
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Xode »

I want to use your compact loaders with DiegoPro's HyperLogistics mod. I realize you have put the responsibility on other mod authors, but i was wondering if there are any tutorials or anything or if i missed instructions about how to make it happen if i were going to make the modifications myself? Also was curious if there is a limit to the speed of loaders or if loaders can go the same speed as any kind of transport belt, even the ones that have gone to insane rediculous speeds?

tanuki_san
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tanuki_san »

Currently, "prototypes.recipes" is required in data-final-fixes.lua.
It means, other MODS loses chance to find the recipes for (entity)stacking-machines for their function (ex.Crafting Combinator MOD.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

tanuki_san wrote:Currently, "prototypes.recipes" is required in data-final-fixes.lua.
It means, other MODS loses chance to find the recipes for (entity)stacking-machines for their function (ex.Crafting Combinator MOD.
Then they have to include DSB as an optional dependency in their own info.json.

No, I don't like it, but it's exactly the situation I was put in by other modders. I don't know if there's a term for it, priority creep or whatever, but if I don't use data-final-fixes then I can't provide any support for other mods at all. Personally I don't think any mod should be using data-final-fixes to alter base game data but that's what they're doing so I have to try and catch it.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Xode wrote:I want to use your compact loaders with DiegoPro's HyperLogistics mod. I realize you have put the responsibility on other mod authors, but i was wondering if there are any tutorials or anything or if i missed instructions about how to make it happen if i were going to make the modifications myself? Also was curious if there is a limit to the speed of loaders or if loaders can go the same speed as any kind of transport belt, even the ones that have gone to insane rediculous speeds?
See the PDF file inside the mod's zip for full instructions.

Yes, loaders can go at the same speed as any transport belt, even speeds that don't work properly. I haven't tested them at anything past 5x yellow speed.

BOTAlex
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] Deadlock's Stacking Beltbox

Post by BOTAlex »

lorddjinn wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:43 pm
I was wanting to know if you are going to add support for Bob Mods?
viewtopic.php?f=185&t=58341
here i found a mod that i used for bobs items for stacking

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Playing with Bobs + Angles the recipes for belts, inserters and loaders follow a specific pattern where each level requires the same materials (with some exception for level 0) across all entities. The levels progress from simple iron to steel up to tungsten. Plain gear wheels are fine at first but later bearings are needed. And so on. The beltboxes on the other hand all need iron plate and iron gear wheels (with one exception for lubricant).

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the same material progression for beltboxes too?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:43 am
Playing with Bobs + Angles the recipes for belts, inserters and loaders follow a specific pattern where each level requires the same materials (with some exception for level 0) across all entities. The levels progress from simple iron to steel up to tungsten. Plain gear wheels are fine at first but later bearings are needed. And so on. The beltboxes on the other hand all need iron plate and iron gear wheels (with one exception for lubricant).

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the same material progression for beltboxes too?
Yes, it would. In the next version, later in the year, DSB and DCL will merge, and bridge/helper mods will be able to specify an entire belt tier with one function call, so beltboxes should be able to have some scheme similar to loaders. Exactly how that works out will be the responsibility of the other mod.

In the meantime there's nothing to stop these big overhaul mods from adjusting the beltbox recipes themselves.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Auto-unstacking

Post by ownlyme »

Here's my idea:
when a player picks up an item (event: on_picked_up_item ?) and the option for manual unstacking is unchecked, the item gets unstacked automatically.
would be nice :)

oh and:
can you add support for liquid science?
there's a glass item that should be stackable..
i attached the graphic..

and..: :D
support for battery-recolor, it's a mod that lets players revert to the old battery style :)
Attachments
stacked-glass.png
stacked-glass.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Auto-unstacking

Post by Deadlock989 »

ownlyme wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:35 am
Here's my idea:
when a player picks up an item (event: on_picked_up_item ?) and the option for manual unstacking is unchecked, the item gets unstacked automatically.
would be nice :)
That's not a bad idea actually, should be possible. However, see post below.
oh and:
can you add support for liquid science?
there's a glass item that should be stackable..
i attached the graphic..

and..: :D
support for battery-recolor, it's a mod that lets players revert to the old battery style :)
It's up to third party mods to use the functions I provided to stack their items or make changes to existing stacked items.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Deadlock's Stacking Beltboxes (& Compact Loaders)

Post by Deadlock989 »

Announcement
My real-life circumstances have changed (for the better) and I've got precious little time for gaming. So I think it's highly unlikely I will get around to the work I was planning around updating to 0.17 and merging these mods into one. I was hoping there would be some kind of vanilla stacking/packing/crating in 0.17 and that the relative popularity of these mods demonstrated the case for it, but there's been no further mention of it since the bots v belts drama. Anyhoo, I'm not going to be supporting a public version of these mods from now on.

The mods are published under the GNU GPL v3, which means that anyone can modify them and re-publish them as long as they obey the terms of the license - in short, as long as that work is also published under the same GNU GPL v3 licence and that it clearly states it's a modification of these original mods and the date it was modified/branched off.

An acknowledgement of my original work would also be appreciated. In the case of the loaders, shanemadden should also get a credit.

Happy factories.

JohnTheCF
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JohnTheCF »

I'm now making compatibility for my mod and got error that "crafting_with_fluid" crafting category does not exist. I changed it to "crafting-with-fluid" and it works. The DCL mod support readme.pdf says that I need to use "crafting_with_fluid".

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Auto-unstacking

Post by ownlyme »

control.lua:

Code: Select all

script.on_event(defines.events.on_picked_up_item, function(event)
	if settings.startup["deadlock-stacking-hide-unstacking"].value and string.sub(event.item_stack.name,1,15) == "deadlock-stack-" then
		game.players[event.player_index].remove_item({name= event.item_stack.name, count=1})
		local inserted = game.players[event.player_index].insert({name= string.sub(event.item_stack.name,16), count=5})
		if inserted == 0 then
			game.players[event.player_index].insert({name= event.item_stack.name, count=1})
		end
	end
end)
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

shanemadden
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by shanemadden »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:39 am
Announcement
My real-life circumstances have changed (for the better) and I've got precious little time for gaming. So I think it's highly unlikely I will get around to the work I was planning around updating to 0.17 and merging these mods into one. I was hoping there would be some kind of vanilla stacking/packing/crating in 0.17 and that the relative popularity of these mods demonstrated the case for it, but there's been no further mention of it since the bots v belts drama. Anyhoo, I'm not going to be supporting a public version of these mods from now on.

The mods are published under the GNU GPL v3, which means that anyone can modify them and re-publish them as long as they obey the terms of the license - in short, as long as that work is also published under the same GNU GPL v3 licence and that it clearly states it's a modification of these original mods and the date it was modified/branched off.

An acknowledgement of my original work would also be appreciated. In the case of the loaders, shanemadden should also get a credit.

Happy factories.
Thanks so much for your work on these mods - sorry to hear that you won't be able to keep up support, but I'm glad to hear that the reasons are happy ones!

If nothing changes, I should be able to pick up maintaining these and working toward the structure you previously described for 0.17 and beyond.

Wishing you the best, and thanks again.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

That's good to hear, shane, as you would have been my first choice ... I can add you as a collaborator on the mod portal if you want to continue publishing them there, or you can fork them off and start a new mod on the portal, I don't mind either way. I might have started a new entry anyway though as I wasn't sure I could maintain 100% backwards compatability in 0.17 with the plans I had in mind.

I can also send you the Blender files for the sprite models if those are any use.

shanemadden
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by shanemadden »

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the new permissions settings - collaborator rights might come in handy for small patches to the existing mod, but I think I'm also leaning toward a new mod release for the big revamp - getting all the mod integrations out of the base mod and just provide the API for belt tiers and stacked items. Since many users will then need to download a separate integration mod that'll make the API calls for the belt tiers and items, a move to a new "base" mod seems like it would prevent confusion in the upgrade (and in case any breaking changes are needed in the inter-mod API, provides a migration path).

As for the blender assets, absolutely, and thanks for offering - I'm fairly useless as a graphic artist so I likely won't be able to improve what you've made, but that doesn't mean I won't have some reason to generate new sprite sheets! I'll send you a private message to work out getting the files sent, thanks again.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

thanks for making the mods you made deadlock :)
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

You're welcome.

I see the vanilla belts are getting a total graphics rework in 0.17-0.18. They look amazing, can't wait. I did want to raise them off the ground myself but couldn't make it work. Unfortunately, it also makes everything I did in Compact Loaders with the layered belt styling completely obsolete.

shanemadden
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by shanemadden »

Yeah, good news and bad news :?

My thinking for the belt styles was to keep them around but spin them out into their own mod for 0.17, possibly with them as one option alongside the "old" 0.16 vanilla belt style as another option (I'm sure some people will be nostalgic for the current sprites). I've been getting the barest start on the refactor of DCL/DSB into one mod with a single tier API and my goal is to keep it as simple as possible, so keeping those alive in their own mod seems like the right approach - but I'm not strong on that opinion.

As an aside, thanks a lot for getting the layering feature implemented for belts - I'm going to need to redo all the belt sprites for another mod and it's going to be a lot more pleasant to break it into layers with tint instead of the separate-spritesheet-for-each-tier that I'm dealing with now.

shanemadden
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by shanemadden »

Alright, folks - after a long weekend and about 30 different test save files, I think I'm ready to ask for some alpha testing on the new version of DSB and DCL for 0.17.

The changes are essentially what Deadlock outlined in viewtopic.php?f=190&t=57264&start=340#p373345 - DSB and DCL have been combined into one mod, with mod options to disable either loaders or beltboxes if you prefer to leave them off. Support for Bob's, Xander's, and Factorio Extended (and Plus) is no longer tied into the base mod - instead, there's a new "integrations" mod which ties their belt tiers into the base mod using the cross-mod API (the vanilla tiers and stacks in the base mod also use the API - all mods have access to the way it's done internally).

For existing saves, the attached new versions of DeadlockLoaders and DeadlockStacking are responsible for switching all of the existing loaders and beltboxes in your save to the new types (as well as all the associated items) - the first time you load a save using the new combined mod, you need to have the 1.7.0 version(s) of the old mods loaded as well to enable the migration (as well as the deadlock-integrations mod, if you're running Bob's/Extended/Xander's). Once you've saved with the new mod present, the old mods should be safe to disable. The migration process itself is pretty heavy, and takes ~3 minutes on my largest map - don't be alarmed if it sits for a while. For new saves (or existing saves that didn't ever have the old mods loaded), the 1.7.0 versions aren't needed.

Note that the belt themes and map colors aren't yet implemented in the new versions - those will likely be moved into their own mod for 0.17 to keep the base mod as simple as possible.

For modders, no changes. The deadlock_stacking.create and deadlock_loaders.create functions should continue working in exactly the same way. They're now wrappers for the new deadlock.add_stack and deadlock.add_tier functions - the add_stack API has no changes at all compared to deadlock_stacking.create, while add_tier adds both the beltbox and the loader for the tier (if they're enabled in options) and has a ton of new options for customization, but keeps essentially the same mandatory arguments.

For translators, there is some reshuffling of entity strings, but hopefully very little real work - if you're maintaining a mod with translations, it's safe to release an update any time targeting the new entity strings.

Deadlock, I'm hoping that the changes are pretty much what you had in mind - the structure's changed around a bunch but I tried to keep it simple and consistent, with most of the underlying logic and code unchanged, so it shouldn't be too hard to find your way around. The base mod itself has basically no special cases for anything at all, which is nice - all the ugly stuff is in the migration. I hope you like it!
BACK UP YOUR SAVES BEFORE TESTING!
If you have an existing save, load DeadlockLoaders_1.7.0 (if you have DeadlockLoaders) and DeadlockStacking_1.7.0 (if you have DeadlockStacking) alongside deadlock-beltboxes-loaders_0.0.1 for the first load; also load deadlock-integrations_0.0.1 if you're using Bob's/Extended/Xander's. The first load will migrate everything to the new mod with the mods loaded side by side. Disable DeadlockLoaders_1.7.0 and DeadlockStacking_1.7.0 in a subsequent save/load to verify that all entities and items moved successfully. Note that the 1.7.0 versions will not function without the new mod present - remove them when you're done testing to avoid issues.

If you're starting a new map, you just need deadlock-beltboxes-loaders_0.0.1 plus deadlock-integrations_0.0.1 if you're using Bob's/Extended/Xander's.

For those testing, I expect that there will be plentiful conflicts with other mods and some other interesting bugs, especially among those with crazy complicated sets of mods. If you can, try to pin down which mods are causing conflicts if you see any - it'd be a great help if I can test against specific mods instead of a whole list.

Let me know what bugs you find in your saves - let's get the bugs squashed in this migration process to get ready for 0.17 in a couple months. Thanks!
Attachments
deadlock-beltboxes-loaders_0.0.4.zip
(253.62 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
deadlock-integrations_0.0.1.zip
(4.86 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
DeadlockLoaders_1.7.1.zip
(879 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
DeadlockStacking_1.7.1.zip
(378.22 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Last edited by shanemadden on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Mods”