[MOD 0.16] Bulk Rail Loaders

Topics and discussion about specific mods
immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Bulk Rail Loaders

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

will py raw ores be supported??
also how many stack inserters are inside one rail loader ( question in order to know how many belts i can lull from one based on stack inserter stack bonus)?

Cadde
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cadde »

immortal_sniper1 wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:20 pm
also how many stack inserters are inside one rail loader ( question in order to know how many belts i can lull from one based on stack inserter stack bonus)?
Without looking at source, i would say 12.
But looking at code: https://github.com/mspielberg/factorio- ... rol.lua#L9

There's actually 2. But i am sure they are set up in such a way that they basically do a one radian stroke for each stack. Imagine if your inserter picked up and put down items without rotating. Hence, you cannot compare the rate with belt placed items as inserters have to rotate.

It's probably the same way miniloaders work. But miniloaders are limited to the speed of the belt they represent.

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Cadde wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:39 pm
Without looking at source, i would say 12.
But looking at code: https://github.com/mspielberg/factorio- ... rol.lua#L9

There's actually 2. But i am sure they are set up in such a way that they basically do a one radian stroke for each stack. Imagine if your inserter picked up and put down items without rotating. Hence, you cannot compare the rate with belt placed items as inserters have to rotate.

It's probably the same way miniloaders work. But miniloaders are limited to the speed of the belt they represent.
+ https://dddgamer.github.io/factorio-che ... throughput

so i rail loader is like 55.44/s base (2 red belts + a little)

Cadde
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cadde »

Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:56 pm
+ https://dddgamer.github.io/factorio-che ... throughput

so i rail loader is like 55.44/s base (2 red belts + a little)
I can tell you right now that's not the case at all. First of all, you are assuming an inserter bonus level of 7, hence not base speed.
Secondly, they are DEFINITELY faster than 2 stack inserters. Mine eats a 200 stack in about a second, my stack inserters take 6 items on this current game. That's far from 55 i/s to belts.

EDIT: If i were to make a guess, it would be whatever your stack inserter bonus is (my stack inserters take 6 items) every third tick.
Hence, at 20 cycles per second (assuming 60 FPS) you would see 6*20*2 = 240 items per second. The times two in there is because there's two inserters.
Alter the first value to whatever your inserters take and get a decent guess on how many belts you would need. Or drones.

EDIT #2: Though this is not in line with what Therax has stated. That a full BRL will transfer ALL it's items in about 5 seconds to a wagon at fill inserter upgrade.
So we can work backwards from that information.
A normal wagon takes 40 stacks, assuming 200 items per stack that's 8000 items. Divide that by 5 seconds and you have 1600 items/s. Each inserter therefore transfers 800 items/s at full upgrade. That's ~13 items per tick. Hence, the inserters transfer their items PER TICK going by what Therax stated.

Either way, you would need one 1600 item/s belt or two 800 item/s belts or four 400 item/s belts or eight 200 item/s belts... I don't know how many items/s bob's ULTIMATE belt carries but i fear it won't be enough.
Better use drones... How many depends on your upgrade status and distance between transfers as well as your ability to charge said drones when they run out of juice.

EDIT #3: Some further information... Due to game engine limitations, from what i've read, you can't exceed 240 items/second on any belt. ULTIMATE belts will let you do that so you need eight ultimate belts capable of 240 items/s to keep up with a fully upgraded BRL (again, assuming you don't upgrade beyond inserter bonus level 7) and that's also assuming you have a never ending supply of wagons to fill at that rate. Which you don't.

Why 240 items/s only on belts? Because the game places/draws items one per tick on belts. And miniloaders (which i assume you would be using) will only do 180 items/s.

So technically, the max miniloader feeding you can have on a BRL is 12*180 = 2160 items/s. Or if you get fancy and use the interface chests and ONLY have one BRL you can do 16*180 = 2880 items/s.

At some point, your inserter bonus (if you can research beyond level 7) will make any belt feeding setup insufficient.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

SavedByGrace251 wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:55 pm
After updating the mod, I keep getting this error when placing entities.
This was a typo, and has been fixed in 0.5.3. Sorry about that!
From the documentation:

Code: Select all

From Pynandon's mods:
* A huge variety of organics, stone, and chemical intermediates from Pyanodons Coal Processing
If you're running into specific items that are not covered, let me know.
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:31 pm
I can tell you right now that's not the case at all. First of all, you are assuming an inserter bonus level of 7, hence not base speed.
Secondly, they are DEFINITELY faster than 2 stack inserters. Mine eats a 200 stack in about a second, my stack inserters take 6 items on this current game. That's far from 55 i/s to belts.

EDIT: If i were to make a guess, it would be whatever your stack inserter bonus is (my stack inserters take 6 items) every third tick.
Hence, at 20 cycles per second (assuming 60 FPS) you would see 6*20*2 = 240 items per second. The times two in there is because there's two inserters.
Alter the first value to whatever your inserters take and get a decent guess on how many belts you would need. Or drones.

EDIT #2: Though this is not in line with what Therax has stated. That a full BRL will transfer ALL it's items in about 5 seconds to a wagon at fill inserter upgrade.
So we can work backwards from that information.
A normal wagon takes 40 stacks, assuming 200 items per stack that's 8000 items. Divide that by 5 seconds and you have 1600 items/s. Each inserter therefore transfers 800 items/s at full upgrade. That's ~13 items per tick. Hence, the inserters transfer their items PER TICK going by what Therax stated.
Thanks for summarizing everything so nicely, Cadde! I will first say that my testing was done with vanilla base, so ore stacks of 50 and a 40 stack cargo wagon. It was also done when BRLs used only a single stack inserter, so throughput has doubled since then. The stack inserters transfer a full hand of items every other tick, one tick to pick up, one tick to drop. Before any upgrades, this is 2 items/swing * 2 stack inserters / 2 ticks per swing * 60 ticks/second = 120 items/s, or 3 blue belts' worth. You will almost certainly have a few levels of inserter stack bonus researched by the time you get a significant number of BRLs installed, but this is the bare minimum throughput.

Once fully upgraded, hand size grows to 12, giving an overall throughput of 12 items/swing * 2 stack inserters / 2 ticks per swing * 60 ticks/second = 720 items/s, or 2.77 seconds to empty a vanilla cargo wagon of 2,000 iron ore. That is 18 blue belts worth, or 12 Bob's Ultimate Belts. So if you use even faster belts and make full use of interface chests to move items into the loader, the loader might not keep up, but a major limiting factor becomes how quickly you can move trains through your stations.

If you truly need more throughput, there's always https://mods.factorio.com/mod/InfiniteI ... y_Research, which can scale BRLs effectively infinitely.
Miniloader β€” UPS-friendly 1x1 loaders
Bulk Rail Loaders β€” Rapid train loading and unloading
Beltlayer & Pipelayer β€” Route items and fluids freely underground

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

thx for the explanation my current bonus is 3 py mods are hard so i guess i can pull
5* 2/2*60=300/s
like 11.25 red belt per loader to have a small delay for trainsso a practical 10 is my scenario

Cadde
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cadde »

Ah yes, i keep forgetting stock game has measly 50 stacks. Either way, the BRL has plenty speed to serve queued up trains both inside and outside. The problems i've been facing is getting trains round the network where they are needed before the BRL is full of items and i am on red belts...

Cadde
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cadde »

Did you forget something?

60538.494 Error MainLoop.cpp:1035: Exception at tick 1362878: Error while running event railloader::on_built_entity (ID 6)
Expected target_entity in connection definition.
stack traceback:
	__railloader__/inserterconfig.lua:151: in function 'connect_and_configure_inserter_control_behavior'
	__railloader__/control.lua:169: in function 'create_entities'
	__railloader__/control.lua:196: in function <__railloader__/control.lua:190>
	(...tail calls...)
https://github.com/mspielberg/factorio- ... l.lua#L169
--

inserter_config.connect_and_configure_inserter_control_behavior(inserter)
++

inserter_config.connect_and_configure_inserter_control_behavior(inserter, chest)
?

Cadde
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cadde »

The madness within...

3460.527 Error MainLoop.cpp:1035: Exception at tick 1533611: Error while running event railloader::on_runtime_mod_setting_changed (ID 59)
__railloader__/inserterconfig.lua:179: attempt to call global 'configure_cargo_wagon_inserter_control_behavior' (a nil value)
https://github.com/mspielberg/factorio- ... g.lua#L179
--

configure_cargo_wagon_inserter_control_behavior(replacement)
++

configure_inserter_control_behavior(replacement)
You renamed the function but not all calls to that function.
EDIT: And you removed the plural of that function? Possible other issues?

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:32 am
0.5.2 was released with a crash bug. Have you updated to 0.5.3?

Cadde
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cadde »

Therax wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:42 pm
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:32 am
0.5.2 was released with a crash bug. Have you updated to 0.5.3?
No, i was unaware that the version had been bumped. And the code on github is still with said crashes so i thought you had missed something.
EDIT: And if i did, i would still get a crash. See my second post. I've fixed those in my 0.5.2 download instead of waiting around for someone else to do it so i can continue playing.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:13 pm
EDIT: And if i did, i would still get a crash. See my second post. I've fixed those in my 0.5.2 download instead of waiting around for someone else to do it so i can continue playing.
You are correct. This should be fixed in 0.5.4. Thank you!

dan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Bulk Rail Loaders bug report

Post by dan »

Does not load or unload the lead plate. For a test replaced the lead plate on the coal and it worked. Mod railloader_0.5.4 updated today, Factorio 0.16.51, Modpack Bob's & Angel latest versions.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

dan wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:49 pm
Does not load or unload the lead plate. For a test replaced the lead plate on the coal and it worked. Mod railloader_0.5.4 updated today, Factorio 0.16.51, Modpack Bob's & Angel latest versions.
Did you set your in-game mod options for BRLs to "ore,plates" or "any"?

dan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dan »

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:14 pm
Did you set your in-game mod options for BRLs to "ore,plates" or "any"?
Oh, thanks! It's working!

Wakaba-chan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wakaba-chan »

Hello!

First of all, thank you for nice mod!
I found a little issue. Here it's screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/f8FCyBn.jpg Here is corresponding save file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jUfCl ... UCYI-0Bjbb
There is one tile of Fast Transport Belt placed over the Bulk rail unloader... At least, it should be placed over it. But as you can see, it's drawn under it's texture so I can see only small parts of the belt at it's edges. Underground belt placed on the next unloader drawn correctly though.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

Wakaba-chan wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:22 pm
But as you can see, it's drawn under it's texture so I can see only small parts of the belt at it's edges.
Should be fixed in 0.5.5.

Wakaba-chan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wakaba-chan »

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:56 pm
Should be fixed in 0.5.5.
Everything is ok now, thank you!

Will there be any SFX for working loader/unloader? I think it should make extreme noise of pouring ore :D

Wakaba-chan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wakaba-chan »

Hello again!

There is the same problem with fast inserters... https://i.imgur.com/BOblwrA.jpg It's basement is not visible under bulk unloader texture in some cases.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

Wakaba-chan wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:44 am
Hello again!

There is the same problem with fast inserters... https://i.imgur.com/BOblwrA.jpg It's basement is not visible under bulk unloader texture in some cases.
Unfortunately there’s nothing I can do about that. The unloader texture needs to render above the rails to look right, and it can’t do that and also render under the inserter platforms at the same time.

Return to β€œMods”