[MOD 0.16] Bulk Rail Loaders

Topics and discussion about specific mods
TokMor
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Bulk Rail Loaders

Post by TokMor »

Really enjoying this mod, but I have a request. Is it possible to allow the bulk loader to load fuel onto locos when the "any" option is selected?

Thanks!

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

TokMor wrote:Really enjoying this mod, but I have a request. Is it possible to allow the bulk loader to load fuel onto locos when the "any" option is selected?

Thanks!
Technically the BRL is an inserter, so parking a locomotive under a BRL filled with coal should fuel that loco. Setting the "any" option should allow any type of fuel. I haven't actually tested that use case though.
Miniloader — UPS-friendly 1x1 loaders
Bulk Rail Loaders — Rapid train loading and unloading
Beltlayer & Pipelayer — Route items and fluids freely underground

TokMor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TokMor »

It does not appear to work unfortunately. However, it looks like sometimes it will load a loco if the BRL is one car in front of the loco, but that looks a bit funny and is likely not intended.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

TokMor wrote:It does not appear to work unfortunately. However, it looks like sometimes it will load a loco if the BRL is one car in front of the loco, but that looks a bit funny and is likely not intended.
Works fine for me:
https://gfycat.com/QuerulousRevolvingKingbird
Are you sure you have your BRLs properly aligned? The way BRLs work is an invisible inserter picks up items from the BRL's inventory and drops them on the exposed part of the cargo wagon or locomotive that's visible just ahead of or behind the body of the BRL itself. If the train isn't properly aligned, then items can go into a car that's ahead of or behind a car that appears to be directly underneath the BRL body.
railloader-inserter.png
railloader-inserter.png (81.51 KiB) Viewed 6141 times

TokMor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TokMor »

Yes, I checked the alignment extensively. I wonder if it is an issue with the first car then, in the example you posted it was the final car, does it still work for you if you put the station directly in front of the BRL?

TokMor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TokMor »

Oh... that isn't aligned after all. It is difficult to tell with vertical stations I suppose. Thanks for your assistance.

Sneaker2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sneaker2 »

Well,
I have some difficulties as well with the loaders. Some of them work, others don't. I tested rebuilding them and manually driving trains, but it doesn't work either. It's really strange, since others work and I don't know the difference between those.

So is the loading point in the center of the graphic or somewhere else?

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

Sneaker2 wrote:Well,
I have some difficulties as well with the loaders. Some of them work, others don't. I tested rebuilding them and manually driving trains, but it doesn't work either. It's really strange, since others work and I don't know the difference between those.

So is the loading point in the center of the graphic or somewhere else?
When you place a BRL, the graphic shows where the cargo wagon must stop. This is centered exactly under the BRL. What kind of cargo are you trying to (un)load? Have you set the mod settings accordingly?

Sneaker2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sneaker2 »

@Therax

Found the problem; I installed the mod without reading all thru the descriptions.
I tried to load iron plates, so by description this doesn't work. Thanks for the hint and sorry to bothering you with this.

Dacksi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dacksi »

Hello sorry for my bad English.
I tested this mod and had problems loading and unloading iron and copper plates.
Am I doing something wrong or is it so wanted?
I also see no output or input character as I have read it somewhere here.

Dacksi

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

@therax
in pymods clay isnt supported any plans to change that ?
clay can travel like sand when is in powdered and dry form

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

Dacksi wrote:I tested this mod and had problems loading and unloading iron and copper plates.
Am I doing something wrong or is it so wanted?
Options -> Mod Settings -> Map (tab) -> Bulk Rail Loader -> Allowed items -> "ore, plates"
plate-setting.png
plate-setting.png (39.18 KiB) Viewed 6016 times
If you are running an existing save, you need to open the Options menu from inside the game. Setting options from the main menu only affects new games.
immortal_sniper1 wrote:in pymods clay isnt supported any plans to change that ?
clay can travel like sand when is in powdered and dry form
This is just an oversight on my part. I'll put it on the list to add for the next version!

Dacksi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dacksi »

Thanks

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

Thanks
and ill keep you updated if i find something similar

Skandragon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Skandragon »

I've been using this mod for a while now, but I suddenly find two major issues:

One, it is not working. I have a 8 car train loader set up, where the first two work, third does not, fourth works, the next 3 do not, and the last one works. They are all spaced properly as much as I can tell.

Second, it is difficult to place them correctly to start with. It would be nice if I could place them over an existing car for the alignment, but I understand how that may be hard.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

Skandragon wrote:One, it is not working. I have a 8 car train loader set up, where the first two work, third does not, fourth works, the next 3 do not, and the last one works. They are all spaced properly as much as I can tell.

Second, it is difficult to place them correctly to start with. It would be nice if I could place them over an existing car for the alignment, but I understand how that may be hard.
Could you post a save and a screenshot? I'll have a look at what might be happening.

The hard part about having BRLs placed over existing rails and wagons is managing blueprints and ghost entities. I'll investigate having a special entity used only in blueprints, but it makes things much more complicated.

Skandragon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Skandragon »

Therax wrote: Could you post a save and a screenshot? I'll have a look at what might be happening.
Sure. Let me first try to reduce the (somewhat huge) number of mods I play with down to the smallest subset that shows the issue. I did try it with plain old train cars and loaders, and I do see the "loading iron ore" style message, but the trains don't actually load. Kinda. It's odd; one gets 8 ore each time the train comes to a stop.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Could we get some circuit control for the loaders and unloaders? You already said you don't want a "set filter" feature but how about "enable"?

This is mostly needed for LTN stations. First LTN says how much to load into a train and I would like the bulk loader to stop if that amount is reached. It doesn't have to be exact. Whatever items the internal inserter has in it's hand can get loaded when the bulk loader/unloader is disabled. That is expected and makes sense.

Second I want stations that can both load and unload at the same time. I've placed a bulk unloader a the station and have a warehouse next to the tracks. If a full train comes in I want the unloader to be activated and empty the train. On the other hand if an empty train comes in then filter inserters load the right items from the warehouse. Problem is the unloader simply unloads them again.

Note: No warehouse needed. I can load the train from the unloader using extra filter inserters making that setup very compact.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

mrvn wrote:Could we get some circuit control for the loaders and unloaders? You already said you don't want a "set filter" feature but how about "enable"?
Yes, this is something I've been working on. The chief difficulty is getting behavior in blueprints correct, since such a BRL requires separate circuit connection points and circuit conditions for input and output, and this is not something Factorio readily represents in blueprints. It's not impossible, but it's far from trivial and I haven't had time to work through all the edge cases.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Therax wrote:
mrvn wrote:Could we get some circuit control for the loaders and unloaders? You already said you don't want a "set filter" feature but how about "enable"?
Yes, this is something I've been working on. The chief difficulty is getting behavior in blueprints correct, since such a BRL requires separate circuit connection points and circuit conditions for input and output, and this is not something Factorio readily represents in blueprints. It's not impossible, but it's far from trivial and I haven't had time to work through all the edge cases.
Note: I still have cases where the current entity ghosts loose wires. It mostly works though.

LTN stations have multiple entities and wire connections and seem to get them working flawlessly. Maybe take a peak there.

Return to “Mods”