[MOD 0.16.x] MadClown01's Nuclear Extension

Topics and discussion about specific mods
ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] MadClown01's Nuclear Extension

Post by ZombieMooose »

On the mod portal if you click the download tab in the mod it should show dependencies. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question.
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

Bobblybook
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bobblybook »

ZombieMooose wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:33 am
On the mod portal if you click the download tab in the mod it should show dependencies. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question.
Yeah it's listed as a dependency now that I have it installed, it seems it doesn't show in the "browse mods" page which is factorio's fault :) Have updated my post accordingly.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

I've updated the mod to run on 0.17. There shouldn't be any bugs, but post them here if any come up.

Edit: Now on the official portal
Last edited by Light on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

@Light

Shadefang
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shadefang »

Please tell me if this was the wrong thread to post this in.

The advanced thorium nuclear fuel reprocessing only takes 1 used cell as opposed to 5 in all the other reprocessing recipes, and this seems to lead to a chain of infinitely producing thorium.

19 thorium -> 10 cells -> 30 thorium (3 thorium/cell)

Mainly checking if this is intended, as while I see no use for the excess thorium, it does seem the waste water amount was scaled relative to the adv. uranium reprocessing.

kmsxkuse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kmsxkuse »

New bug in 17.23 for the AngelBob mod version:

https://imgur.com/BdVwxqB

pezzawinkle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pezzawinkle »

Shadefang wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:02 am
Please tell me if this was the wrong thread to post this in.

The advanced thorium nuclear fuel reprocessing only takes 1 used cell as opposed to 5 in all the other reprocessing recipes, and this seems to lead to a chain of infinitely producing thorium.

19 thorium -> 10 cells -> 30 thorium (3 thorium/cell)

Mainly checking if this is intended, as while I see no use for the excess thorium, it does seem the waste water amount was scaled relative to the adv. uranium reprocessing.
A good catch. This is more of an issue with the AB extension, either Light or I can assist with that.
I will take a look at that. I did try to balance those processes so that there is no net-positive (on the perspective of generating the nuclear fuel systems), if you balance it for the plutonium component between the uranium and thorium fuel systems, it should not come out as thorium positive.
I will take a more detailed look at this once i move over to 0.17. (it looks good to me in helmod, but ill take another look at the ol' spreadsheet).

In the mean time, would you prefer that it has the 5 cells in the feed, and the output scaled to match, or for the thorium cost of the cell to 31(ish)?

kmsxkuse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kmsxkuse »

Alright, since it seems like MadClown has fallen off the face of the Internet, I've patched AngelBob's version myself.

Edit: Better version with working Locale:

Rename "nuclear-fuel-reprocessing-1" to "nuclear-fuel-reprocessing" in /prototypes/technology/nuclear-reprocessing.lua. Both the technology and prerequisite in "nuclear-fuel-reprocessing-2". Comment out the removal of "nuclear-fuel-reprocessing" in /data-final-fixes.lua on the second line.

Since 17.23, "[tech-name]" without the "-#" at the end now counts as position "-1" in the list of technologies instead of "-0". Even with the base "nuclear-fuel-reprocessing" removed by the mod, the technology contiguous checker still places the base (disabled tech) in position 1 of the list. When MadClown's "nuclear-fuel-reprocessing-1" is added, position 1 is already taken and thus Factorio throws an error.

1 hour of debugging. Factorio modding just isnt for me.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

kmsxkuse wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:37 pm
Alright, since it seems like MadClown has fallen off the face of the Internet, I've patched AngelBob's version myself.

Edit: Better version with working Locale:

Rename "nuclear-fuel-reprocessing-1" to "nuclear-fuel-reprocessing" in /prototypes/technology/nuclear-reprocessing.lua. Both the technology and prerequisite in "nuclear-fuel-reprocessing-2". Comment out the removal of "nuclear-fuel-reprocessing" in /data-final-fixes.lua on the second line.

Since 17.23, "[tech-name]" without the "-#" at the end now counts as position "-1" in the list of technologies instead of "-0". Even with the base "nuclear-fuel-reprocessing" removed by the mod, the technology contiguous checker still places the base (disabled tech) in position 1 of the list. When MadClown's "nuclear-fuel-reprocessing-1" is added, position 1 is already taken and thus Factorio throws an error.

1 hour of debugging. Factorio modding just isnt for me.
or the devs are just doing plain stupid stuff

Shadefang
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shadefang »

pezzawinkle wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:44 pm

In the mean time, would you prefer that it has the 5 cells in the feed, and the output scaled to match, or for the thorium cost of the cell to 31(ish)?
overall i'd say 5 cells in the feed, to avoid random pointless differences.
Also at the moment just changing the input to 5 used cells and not the output keeps the input/thorium/plutonium ratio of advanced processing the same as basic (as it is with uranium) which, if my poking at it is correct, causes production of the radiothermal and nuclear fuels to take equal inputs of depleted uranium and thorium cells, with the only excess product being radioactive waste water (a 20% surplus). If you're looking for a quick way to balance that out, removing 60 across both advanced reprocessing recipes should work (e.g. removing the output from thorium reprocessing, or having both thorium and uranium output 150/recipe)

pezzawinkle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pezzawinkle »

ill get on the change this week, im still on 0.16 for now.
I will change it to 5 cells and scale the output by 5, but decrease the thorium to be net negative (possibly 15, not 30)
on the point of the radioactive waste... my numbers are not giving a surplus from what is needed for the fuels, im taking a look at it in helmod now, ill even draft the change for it.
This is the new balance, im just confirming that i have fixed the contigious issues before i upload the changes, including the unknown key fix.

pezzawinkle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pezzawinkle »

hopefully fixed, let me know if you find more issues.

Nathan1852
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nathan1852 »

There seems to be another problem after the latest Update:
Attachments
error.png
error.png (114.01 KiB) Viewed 4450 times

pezzawinkle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pezzawinkle »

try the new one (you may need to delete the old one, i didn't change the version number... sorry)

Shadefang
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shadefang »

pezzawinkle wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:56 am
ill get on the change this week, im still on 0.16 for now.
I'm on 0.17, so the version difference could be where the issue stems from. The changes you made did fix the thorium generation issue, but the rest of the numbers for my ratios are the same.
Trying to use all the byproducts vs producing equal amounts of the highest tier fuel, using only advanced reprocessing for both
ImageImage
Also using helmod; it had a graphical update in 0.17.
I have no issue with the intended balance is to not just produce the highest tier, but the numbers are so close. While I could use basic reprocessing to get the extra plutonium I need to balance out the first one, and in some ways this would make my life easier as it would let me use a setup where half my reactors are using each type of fuel cell, but at that point I'm pretty sure I'm losing more by not using advanced reprocessing than I would if i just discarded the excess waste water.
My thought was that the simplest way of avoiding byproducts would be to tweak the radioactive waste water output to eliminate the excess when producing equal amounts of turbonuclear and ultraradiothermal fuels. At the moment the two advanced reprocessing recipes are in the appropriate ratio for all the other products, but produce 360 waste water between them when the fuel production only consumes 300.
The other suggestion was that if you had changed the input of advanced thorium reprocessing from 1 to 5 cells without changing the output it would cause the above fuel production ratio to consume equal amounts of uranium and thorium cells.
Another option would be to make the reprocessing recipes consume 1.5 times as many uranium cells as thorium (e.g. change uranium to consume 6 and thorium to consume 4 without changing the outputs), to account for thorium fuel cells having a 12GJ fuel value as opposed to uranium's 8GJ. This should let you produce the right ratio of depleted cells by using thorium and uranium in an equal number of reactors. Though it all depends on what balance you're aiming for, and how convenient you want to make the ratios.

pezzawinkle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pezzawinkle »

I was actually thinking about the balance today...
with the option to void the excess radioactive waste, it does leave the fuels to have some (but clearly not enough) flexibility, the "use all the products" path was the one i based the rebalance on a few versions ago, what i didn't know at the time was what variations on the ratio of thermal to speed fuels should be... im doing ok with the 1:1 and a bonus thermal 2 fuel...

What may be better is to improve flexibility to enhance say, a higher train to thermal ratio, or vise versa...
Possibly a new thorium cell recipe that yields some strontium, to help de-couple the recipes a tad...

Shadefang
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shadefang »

As I said, mostly just throwing out suggestions, and if the ratios want you to produce lower tier fuels as well I have no issue with it. My issue comes from the plutonium production of reprocessing being in perfect ratio to the rest of the products, leading to a situation where to use the excess water I need more plutonium, which requires using basic reprocessing to balance the ratio, which ends up wasting more than just not using the water. So from that perspective tweaking the plutonium output upwards would work too, and might even be a better option given there are other ways of using excess plutonium, unlike the other products.

Also, as far as I can tell, you can't void the waste water at the moment.

pezzawinkle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pezzawinkle »

Indeed, i will look at fixing that (voiding the fluid) in the next patch.
Ill also look at adding some alternative options (to allow a higher train vs thermal ratio) balance... the extra plutonium is not really that big of an issue to deal with, as either product, or requirement.
Either way, unless the game breaks big time, it will have to wait for me to update my game to 0.17 to play with those ratios (i never got around to spreadsheeting it, i think clown did though).

Early draft updated for everyone, patch notes included... have yet to do the fluid voiding...

Return to “Mods”