Topics and discussion about specific mods
MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] MadClown01's Thermonuclear Bombs & Thorium

Post by MadClown01 »

Lezreth wrote:...
Kabaril wrote:...
Thanks for bringing this forward guys, fixed for 0.1.5.
Kabaril especially, thanks for all your help :lol:

Sworn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sworn »

Dude those explosion are awesome!!!!!!

Would be possible to have an artillery version of the bomb?

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Sworn wrote:Dude those explosion are awesome!!!!!!

Would be possible to have an artillery version of the bomb?
Thanks heaps :lol:
I worry that thermonuclear artillery would make endgame really bland, as they would just slaughter everything with no consequence. There is a nuclear artillery shell mod already, that could be up your alley. I also plan to implement nerve gas shells & phosphorus shells as well as mortars in one of my upcoming mods - you may find this of interest too.

Sworn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sworn »

Meh, automated destruction is the way to go :lol: .

Definitely waiting for those new idea that you said. Post a link to us when you have it, can't wait for more explosions! :twisted:

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Sworn wrote:Meh, automated destruction is the way to go :lol: .

Definitely waiting for those new idea that you said. Post a link to us when you have it, can't wait for more explosions! :twisted:
Will do :)

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Sworn wrote:... Post a link to us when you have it...
Ok, ZombieMoose and you have changed my mind.

Tactical thermonuclear artillery shells and tactical nuclear artillery shells have been added for 0.1.6, opt-in via game settings

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

MadClown01 wrote:
Sworn wrote:... Post a link to us when you have it...
Ok, ZombieMoose and you have changed my mind.

Tactical thermonuclear artillery shells and tactical nuclear artillery shells have been added for 0.1.6, opt-in via game settings
Woohoo! I'm excited. :D
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] "MadClown01's Th, Pl & Thermonuclear Munitions

Post by MadClown01 »

Alright it's out, go nuts :P

Sworn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sworn »

Hell Yeh, now you speak my language :twisted: .

Thanks!

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

A couple ideas came to mind after playing with it for a while.

- Toggle for the removal of the OP Kovarex recipe
- Better Bob's integration by making atomic rockets require Bob's parts so they all balance out.
- Colour tips for the artillery shells so they stand out better

I think I'll stick to your mod for recycling because nuclear fuel can't be recycled constantly and eventually runs out. Other mods seem to give you 100% back or even a surplus of fuel over time which always boggled my mind. It's nice to get a small return for recycling but nothing lasts forever, let alone gives you more of it.

Now for the fun part of deciding how to allocate fuel recycling vs munitions production.

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Light wrote:A couple ideas came to mind after playing with it for a while.

- Toggle for the removal of the OP Kovarex recipe
- Better Bob's integration by making atomic rockets require Bob's parts so they all balance out.
- Colour tips for the artillery shells so they stand out better

I think I'll stick to your mod for recycling because nuclear fuel can't be recycled constantly and eventually runs out. Other mods seem to give you 100% back or even a surplus of fuel over time which always boggled my mind. It's nice to get a small return for recycling but nothing lasts forever, let alone gives you more of it.

Now for the fun part of deciding how to allocate fuel recycling vs munitions production.
Hi Light, glad you're enjoying it!

I'm thinking about having a replacement for Kovarex that's an enrichment process, just like the old Nuclear Power.
I like the artillery shell icon suggestion, however I plan to implement a lot more artillery shells soon so I need quite a variety in the icons that I'm not sure will adequately be expressed with just a single colour in the tip. For example, the difference between a white phosphorus round and a neurotoxin round won't be clear at all :/
I'll look over the atomic rocket recipe :)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Does this mod and others from the set support productivity limitations?

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

orzelek wrote:Does this mod and others from the set support productivity limitations?
To be honest, not sure. Am investigating.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

MadClown01 wrote:I'm thinking about having a replacement for Kovarex that's an enrichment process, just like the old Nuclear Power.
Wonderful, an enrichment process to finally make extensive use of the U-238 that accumulates uncontrollably.

I've finished creating the nuclear fuel sector which uses your uranium hexafluorite tech, but it creates over 30,000 U-238 per hour which naturally isn't remotely used up as fast as it's made. Even with forcefully redirecting it to creating uranium ammo, the stockpile shows no sign of slowing. It's also the reason I haven't ventured into thorium tech all that much since U-238 is taking priority in attempts to burn some of them. It's truly a pain in the ass.

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

orzelek wrote:Does this mod and others from the set support productivity limitations?
Hi orzelek

I'm unable to tell what precisely you mean by productivity limitations?

I believe they follow the same rules on use of productivity modules as Angel's equivalent recipes if that answers your question.
Light wrote:
MadClown01 wrote:I'm thinking about having a replacement for Kovarex that's an enrichment process, just like the old Nuclear Power.
Wonderful, an enrichment process to finally make extensive use of the U-238 that accumulates uncontrollably.

I've finished creating the nuclear fuel sector which uses your uranium hexafluorite tech, but it creates over 30,000 U-238 per hour which naturally isn't remotely used up as fast as it's made. Even with forcefully redirecting it to creating uranium ammo, the stockpile shows no sign of slowing. It's also the reason I haven't ventured into thorium tech all that much since U-238 is taking priority in attempts to burn some of them. It's truly a pain in the ass.
Oh no... A more realistic enrichment process would not involve the lovely Koravex ability to turn U-238 directly into U-235 - so it wouldn't fix your problem.
I'm now seriously thinking about not changing the Koravex unless I have some better systems that would actually prevent U-238 buildup. In the meantime, I'm introducing depleted uranium smelting for my processing mod, which should use up more U-238 than is required currently - that should help!

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

MadClown01 wrote:
Light wrote:

Oh no... A more realistic enrichment process would not involve the lovely Koravex ability to turn U-238 directly into U-235 - so it wouldn't fix your problem.
I'm now seriously thinking about not changing the Koravex unless I have some better systems that would actually prevent U-238 buildup. In the meantime, I'm introducing depleted uranium smelting for my processing mod, which should use up more U-238 than is required currently - that should help!
My issue with the Korvarex process is that it creates 80GJ with only 21 U-238 at 100%. I'm easily able to create hundreds of terajoules for free every hour, which is why I consider it a cheat alongside many others who voiced their same concerns. It also undermines fuel recycling and even thorium fuel which is supposed to be superior in joules per cell, but with millions of uranium cells on standby it doesn't mean anything.

If the recipe is to exist, it should operate exactly like Angel's bioprocessing with it producing 40 + 1 U-235 at 5%. Then further enrichment chains for better percentages costing far more U-238 each tier. It would be a strong U-238 sink due to the chance factor, while also not providing unlimited power so easily, thus recycling will serve at least some purpose while you're waiting for enrichment to provide a couple U-235s now and then.

This is the only way I can see the balance really working out, but something about it will always bother me. Even the uranium power mod didn't exactly balance right, which is why I helped Fatmice with debugging and bouncing ideas back and forth. The recycling process in that mod may have been more involved but wasn't entirely needed when you considered how easily rods were made even then. However, it was the only way to make nuclear weapons, so you'd want to setup recycling alongside "burner reactors" eating fuel and spitting out warheads like candy. Made it all the easier to find more uranium mines for more power and warheads.

I do appreciate the processing addition, if only because it allows me to store U-238 as plates. Although, I would prefer to see it better used as an enrichment sink like the idea above so larger scale productions don't sit in a warehouse all game. Do give it some thought.

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Light wrote:...
A lot to think about - thanks :)

Lezreth
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] MadClown01's Nuclear Extension

Post by Lezreth »

Your mod crashed on game startup (Game version 0.16.29, build 36026). The error message:

Code: Select all

__Clowns-Nuclear__/data-final-fixes.lua:1: attepmt to index field 'centrifuging-2' (a nil value)

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Lezreth wrote:Your mod crashed on game startup (Game version 0.16.29, build 36026). The error message:

Code: Select all

__Clowns-Nuclear__/data-final-fixes.lua:1: attepmt to index field 'centrifuging-2' (a nil value)
Oh dear - will fix when I get home. Thanks for reporting!

EDIT:

Bug fixed

Squingy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Squingy »

ERROR LOADING
Clowns-Nuclear_ _ /data-final-fixes. Lua:8:attempt to index field 'kovarex-enrichment-process' (a nil value)

Factorio V 0.16.30
Angel, bobs, AAIndustry, all yours, as well as many others.

Possible compatibility issue with Sigma One's Nuclear mod? Is my best guess, I dug around various mods that modify the nuclear aspect of the game, but I'm hardly sure what the problem is.
Last edited by Squingy on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mods”