[MOD 0.16.x] MadClown01's Nuclear Extension

Topics and discussion about specific mods
MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] MadClown01's Nuclear Extension

Post by MadClown01 »

Squingy wrote:ERROR LOADING
Clowns-Nuclear_ _ /data-final-fixes. Lua:8:attempt to index field 'kovarex-enrichment-process' (a nil value)

Factorio V 0.16.30
Angel, bobs, AAIndustry, all yours, as well as many others.
Hi Squingy, that's a bit bizarre.

I'd like to check out what's going on there, but I'll need a bit of info to try and replicate the error sorry.

Are you using MadClown01's Processing as well?
Have you enabled advanced-centrifuging in the mod settings?
Are you using version 1.1.2?

Squingy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Squingy »

Yes to all,
That is if the setting is clowns-centrifuging in the mod settings file.

Using the latest experimental build, in case you didn't catch that.

I'm stubborn and I'm going to try and figure out what the problem is, I'll keep you posted.
I think it's a mod conflict personally.

Figured it out out, Sigma One's :Nuclear mod and yours don't play nice.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Nicely done with the enrichment. It seems you took my post to heart upon not only recycling depleted ores to prevent storage complications, but also allowing weapon production outside of just through recycling alone as uranium power did.

From what I've glanced at the recipes, the rate of return is perfectly fine without being overly generous. Creation of weapon grade uranium costs a lot more ore due to depletion further down the chain and that's perfect. I also like how the thorium fuel is the cheapest one to make, giving it some use alongside uranium because many 35% will be available due to enriching to 55% or higher. That's how I'd likely end up using both together to complement production of both fuel and weapons.

So while I currently praise what you've done here, the hexafluorite chain will have to match its usefulness in some fashion. Uranium ore is never really in short supply to those who need it, so simply saving some ore may not be sufficient enough to uphold the heavy cost it currently has. I say this because creating 10 fuel cells requires 600 ore with hexa' while it's 900 ore without, which seems like a good savings when you're burning almost a hundred cells per hour, but it's still vastly overpriced in other areas for this benefit to work. Depleted fuel recycling almost provides the same resource saving benefit but for free.

I'd almost suggest removing the hexafluorite chain and instead focusing on fleshing out the fuel recycling and plutonium to be in more in-depth and meaningful, where enriching using plutonium or combining it with other recipes could do something cool. However, I leave that to your imagination.

Lezreth
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lezreth »

I posted an error message for the mod Science Pack Dependencies stated below, however the issue seems to lie within your mod instead.

My post to Science Pack Dependencies:
Subject: Conflict with MadClown01's Nuclear Extension

When your mod is loaded alongside MadClown01's Nuclear Extension in the newest Factorio build (game version 0.16.29, build 36026), both mods crash (separately). The error message for your mod is:

Code: Select all

__science-pack-dependencies__/make_dependencies.lua:89: attempt to index global 't' (a nil value)
Reply to my report:
Looks like Nuclear Extension created a bad technology tree by referencing something that didn't exist, causing the mod that tried to use this reference first to crash.
Not a bug on my side, but I added a check to catch this and produce a more helpful error message. I now also try to crash as late as possible to give Factorio a chance to blame the mod that's actually at fault.

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

Lezreth wrote:I posted an error message for the mod Science Pack Dependencies stated below, however the issue seems to lie within your mod instead.

...snip...
I'm pretty sure it's related to the bug mentioned at the end of last page which is already fixed by now. I couldn't get our mods to crash using 1.1.2 of Nuclear Expansion.

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Lezreth wrote:...
Thanks for the report. Just want to check - are you using Clowns-Nuclear 1.1.2? 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 had some known issues with the tech tree that have been fixed.

EDIT:
Lol all good then :D
Last edited by MadClown01 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Light wrote:...
Thanks Light, glad to hear you're enjoying the new recipes. I'm especially happy to hear that you are ok with the enrichment balancing! Took many weeks and so many spreadsheets to generate a system that worked.

As for the hexafluoride, I'm keeping it but am open to more exotic balancing options. I think it's important to note that not only does the pseudo-smelting give another 50% uranium-ore equivalent going into the cenrifuging, but the 20% enrichment process from hexafluoride generates less enriched depleted uranium and more 20% enriched uranium than the ore 20% enrichment recipe.

Therefore, I think that the figure of 600:900 might be slightly off. I'll investigate when I next can. My target is roughly 1:2 in terms of output of 35% enriched ore, after all cyclic processes are carried out to completeness. That would be in line with the savings from Angel's own advanced smelting processes.

Currently if my advanced centrifuging is disabled, there is a 50% time saving for using hexafluoride rather than ore. I could look at extending something similar to the advanced centrifuging, although that would more likely look like a 100% time penalty for directly centrifuging the ore rather than the hexafluoride, to make the ratios better for the end-game processing.

As for thorium & plutonium refining, yes I do have some ideas - involving my particle accelerators!

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Squingy wrote:Yes to all,
That is if the setting is clowns-centrifuging in the mod settings file.

Using the latest experimental build, in case you didn't catch that.

I'm stubborn and I'm going to try and figure out what the problem is, I'll keep you posted.
I think it's a mod conflict personally.

Figured it out out, Sigma One's :Nuclear mod and yours don't play nice.
Oh no that's concerning. I'll try have a look when I can.

Squingy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Squingy »

Your last update seemed to be what caused it, worked before just fine.

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Squingy wrote:Your last update seemed to be what caused it, worked before just fine.
Yes, that is because my mod still relies on the technology "Koravex Enrichment Process" existing, unfortunately SigmaOne Nuclear has decided to nil this completely - something I would very much like to do as well, but I have been advised this is poor coding.

Either way, our mods do quite similar things, but with my processing mod installed there is no new functionality that SigmaOne's mod introduces that is not already covered by mine - so I don't think that writing a compatibility fix is top priority right now.

I'd say one has to pick one or the other. His mod has simpler processing if that's your thing. Mine has thermonuclear weapons if that's your thing.

myricaulus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by myricaulus »

(Centrifuge) 10x Used-up Thorium Fuel Cell -> 6x Thorium-238, 2x Plutonium-239

Thorium 238? Copy paste error? Actually it should be Thorium 232.

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

myricaulus wrote:(Centrifuge) 10x Used-up Thorium Fuel Cell -> 6x Thorium-238, 2x Plutonium-239

Thorium 238? Copy paste error? Actually it should be Thorium 232.
Thanks for spotting. Yeah going to have to rewrite everything now I think about it xD

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

MadClown01 wrote:
Thanks Light, glad to hear you're enjoying the new recipes. I'm especially happy to hear that you are ok with the enrichment balancing! Took many weeks and so many spreadsheets to generate a system that worked.

As for the hexafluoride, I'm keeping it but am open to more exotic balancing options. I think it's important to note that not only does the pseudo-smelting give another 50% uranium-ore equivalent going into the cenrifuging, but the 20% enrichment process from hexafluoride generates less enriched depleted uranium and more 20% enriched uranium than the ore 20% enrichment recipe.

Therefore, I think that the figure of 600:900 might be slightly off. I'll investigate when I next can. My target is roughly 1:2 in terms of output of 35% enriched ore, after all cyclic processes are carried out to completeness. That would be in line with the savings from Angel's own advanced smelting processes.

Currently if my advanced centrifuging is disabled, there is a 50% time saving for using hexafluoride rather than ore. I could look at extending something similar to the advanced centrifuging, although that would more likely look like a 100% time penalty for directly centrifuging the ore rather than the hexafluoride, to make the ratios better for the end-game processing.

As for thorium & plutonium refining, yes I do have some ideas - involving my particle accelerators!
I use helmod for a lot of the calculations to ease my fingers from creating extensive spreadsheets even when I'm not at work. Helmod is also very good at informing the player of excess materials and does include byproducts of other recipes in the same chain into account so nothing is wasted.

For example, my goal is to create one nuclear warhead every 5 minutes.
First result
When I include the reprocessing of the 1,991 0% uranium into ores, I end up with this result instead.
Second result
I then have 7 extra 0% uranium every 5 minutes which will result in another extra cycle in due time. This is the most efficient method for this chain which helps keep it small and least wasteful, so at this point I'm satisfied with the result and start my design work based on what's being asked. But what about the hexafluorite chain which is meant to save me more ore? Is that truly worth the cost it asks for?
First result
Uranium recycling included
So that's 11,410 vs 6,787 uranium ore for a nuclear warhead every 5 minutes. I'd have to weigh the cost of uranium and fluorite production to determine what's cheaper to produce, but it's a bit questionable at this point given the high cost of fluorite. But what about fuel cell creation like I posted above? How does the cost fair out in that regard?
Ore
Hexafluorite
741 vs 474 in the creation of 10 fuel cells instead of the 900 vs 600 without 0% reprocessing that I calculated previously. In this case I'd never use hexafluorite processing even if the savings over time would add up, if only because fuel cells deteriorate slow enough to easily upkeep with raw uranium, but also because fuel cell recycling and plutonium extend that length of time even further. Only if uranium was hard to upkeep would I consider it.

So there we have it, using the magic of helmod you can easily calculate all the ratios and requirements without dozens of spreadsheets like before. Hopefully these calculations can assist you in any further development if you were curious about rebalancing anything. Based on these results I'd only consider hexafluorite for the much more expensive warheads and not fuel, but until I do a full sheet for both methods that decision remains uncertain.

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

:shock:
Installing Helmod...

Thanks again for all your help. I will be heavily rebalancing both thorium and plutonium in the next update to Clowns-Nuclear, hopefully that will make things a bit more even.

Northgate
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Northgate »

Version 1.1.3 gives me this error. It wasn't there with version 1.1.0

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Northgate wrote:Image

Version 1.1.3 gives me this error. It wasn't there with version 1.1.0
Interesting. Thanks for the report, not sure if it'll come up again after I release 1.2.0

Northgate
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Northgate »

I'm looking forward to it. I'm currently doing a Let's Play series with some of your mods included.

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Northgate wrote:I'm looking forward to it. I'm currently doing a Let's Play series with some of your mods included.
I've watched it - nice work! I just wish my German was a bit better hahaha

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hi,

made a german (locale\de) locale for this mod:
Clowns-Nuclear.cfg
(2.53 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Sworn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sworn »

There is a missing localized name at the "mod settings" when starting a new game.
The second options has invalid key

MadClows01's Nuclear Extension
Enable Nuclear...
unknow key: "mod-settings-name.clows-centrifuging"
Enable Thorium...

Return to “Mods”