[MOD 0.12.x] Ore Expansion

Topics and discussion about specific mods
zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Ore Expansion

Post by zytukin »

Ore doubles every 109 chunks....what if I was to go 1000 chunks from spawn?
Could I end up seeing 100% ore coverage on the ground? lol

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

zytukin wrote:Ore doubles every 109 chunks....what if I was to go 1000 chunks from spawn?
The number of ore piles doesn't change, just the amount in each one.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

Rseding91 wrote:
zytukin wrote:Ore doubles every 109 chunks....what if I was to go 1000 chunks from spawn?
The number of ore piles doesn't change, just the amount in each one.
that sucks.
I was actually planning and looking forward to making something like a 25000 tile rail line to see the landscape covered by ore.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Rseding91 wrote:Every 3500 distance from spawn (roughly 109 chunks) the ore density doubles.
Here you are clearly saying exponential increase (2^(distance/3500)) but the code shows it scales linearly (1+distance/3500). I fixed it for myself so it acts as described and I think it will be nice with very poor richness as world gen settings. It will give you effectivly infinite resources once you have expanded far enough, but it will still be technically finite and quite limited close to {0,0}. I feel that if it's set to infinite mode with yield% then speed modules have no disadvantage and faster drills (like the super alien drill in fusion power mod with 50x speed~) become a bit to much cheaty. With finite amounts then prod modules are still a good option until you expand so far that richness reaches silly amounts.

But I would also like to spread out resources a bit so that trains are still useful so optimal strategy isn't to just relocate your base a few thousand tiles and then never using train at all. One idea I have is to remove resources based on type in each direction (so maybe no iron north of spawn and no copper south of spawn). I could probably also make these directions change a bit based on distance so that the ore layout rotates. A complete rotation might be many thousands of tiles still thougth so they wouldn't be close together. But it would make it possible to have the central hub of your base not be {0,0}.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Qon wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:Every 3500 distance from spawn (roughly 109 chunks) the ore density doubles.
Here you are clearly saying exponential increase (2^(distance/3500)) but the code shows it scales linearly (1+distance/3500). I fixed it for myself so it acts as described and I think it will be nice with very poor richness as world gen settings. It will give you effectivly infinite resources once you have expanded far enough, but it will still be technically finite and quite limited close to {0,0}. I feel that if it's set to infinite mode with yield% then speed modules have no disadvantage and faster drills (like the super alien drill in fusion power mod with 50x speed~) become a bit to much cheaty. With finite amounts then prod modules are still a good option until you expand so far that richness reaches silly amounts.

But I would also like to spread out resources a bit so that trains are still useful so optimal strategy isn't to just relocate your base a few thousand tiles and then never using train at all. One idea I have is to remove resources based on type in each direction (so maybe no iron north of spawn and no copper south of spawn). I could probably also make these directions change a bit based on distance so that the ore layout rotates. A complete rotation might be many thousands of tiles still thougth so they wouldn't be close together. But it would make it possible to have the central hub of your base not be {0,0}.
Rseding91 wrote:The ore rate scales as the distance does (it's not 1x ore at 3499 and then 2x at 3500).
from the first post.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Rseding91 wrote:The ore rate scales as the distance does (it's not 1x ore at 3499 and then 2x at 3500).
from the first post.[/quote]

Your clarification tells us that it's 1.999x ore at 3499 distance and 2.000x ore at 3500 distance. That doesn't tell us what it looks like at 1750 distance or 7000 distance.
Rseding91 wrote:
Qon wrote:
Here you are clearly saying exponential increase (2^(distance/3500)) but the code shows it scales linearly (1+distance/3500).
We get that info from the "every 3500 ... doubles", which SHOULD mean it's 1.414x ore at 1750 distance, 2x at 3500, 4x at 7000, 8x at 10500, etc.

Qon is right, the description of the scaling is wrong.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

sparr wrote:
from the first post.

Your clarification tells us that it's 1.999x ore at 3499 distance and 2.000x ore at 3500 distance. That doesn't tell us what it looks like at 1750 distance or 7000 distance.
Rseding91 wrote:
Qon wrote:
Here you are clearly saying exponential increase (2^(distance/3500)) but the code shows it scales linearly (1+distance/3500).
We get that info from the "every 3500 ... doubles", which SHOULD mean it's 1.414x ore at 1750 distance, 2x at 3500, 4x at 7000, 8x at 10500, etc.

Qon is right, the description of the scaling is wrong.
Yes. Thank you for clarifying my point.

On exponential growth:
But after testing and calculating values with exponential growth I find it non-optimal.
When it doubles every 1000 tiles and richness set to very low, going a few thousand tiles seems pointless. Why go 6k when you get twice as much just 1k further? It's basically pointless to mine anything at medium distance because the richness is too low and it's so much better just a little bit further. But once you get to 7k distance the fields are so rich that it's pointless to go further instead becuase they are already practically infinite. So it's basically to little for a fairly small base and then pointlessly rich for a gigabase and not much inbetween for bases of different sizes.

So now I'm trying cubic ((dist/1000)^3) and it seems a bit more sane. Maybe quadratic (d/1000)^2 would also be quite good, but I don't want performance problems that makes a 10 game-minute train trip take an IRL hour so with cubic I don't need to go quite as far to support my next x rockets/second base q:

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

I noticed that you don't adjust for 0.13 vanilla resource richness increase in your formula

Code: Select all

local mult = 1 + (math.floor(math.sqrt((distX * distX) + (distY * distY))) / 3500)
Shouldn't you divide by the vanilla amount? Do you happen to know what the vanilla richness formula is? And since oil is scaling different to the other resources I would like how it differs.
cube wrote:Oil actually scales as well, just less.
I can't scale richness with the same amount/distance as in 0.12 if I don't know how vanilla 0.13 behaves so now I can't adjust for it. If I want to continue my 0.12 bases I need this info. [:

Thanks.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

I cant download it.

Why this isnt added already in vanilla? Oo

Ironhair
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ironhair »

I used to have this in .13.
Just got back and wondering if we'll get an update to this for .15

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Ironhair wrote:I used to have this in .13.
Just got back and wondering if we'll get an update to this for .15
The base game has done the same logic for quite some time now. It's not needed anymore.

Shenpen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shenpen »

How do you modulate the effect in vanila, for say the added ores in the mod?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Shenpen wrote:How do you modulate the effect in vanila, for say the added ores in the mod?

richness_multiplier = 1500,
richness_multiplier_distance_bonus = 20,
richness_base = 10,
In the autoplace for the resource.

Shenpen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shenpen »

Rseding91 wrote:
Shenpen wrote:How do you modulate the effect in vanila, for say the added ores in the mod?

richness_multiplier = 1500,
richness_multiplier_distance_bonus = 20,
richness_base = 10,
In the autoplace for the resource.
Yeah. Coverage turned out to be what I was looking for :)
Attachments
coverage.png
coverage.png (2.55 MiB) Viewed 3607 times

Shenpen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shenpen »

Edit: Brute-solved by emulating the vanila spritesheet.
Sorry for hijacking...

I have been trying to implement stages for the ressource, but run into a very persistant error message:
The given sprite position (left_top=0x128)is completely outside the actual sprite image (size=256x128).

Which does not make much sense to me.
You have a stack of hints or reference to some reading material?

Posila said something about it here, but I cant quite find a solution:
viewtopic.php?f=185&t=40583#wrap

From Steam:
"This error usually only happens when a modder changes the spritesheet/sprite size and the game is then unable to load the sprite ("Sprite outside of..."). I don't know why in this case it happened with the base game, maybe because the .png file somehow got corrupted."

Return to “Mods”