[MOD 0.15.36] DroneCommand_0.1.4 (Dec 6 17)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.15.36] DroneCommand_0.1.4 (Dec 6 17)

Post by Adil »

Type: Mod
Name: Drone Command
Description: Swarms of combat robots controlled by circuitry.
License: CC BY 3.0
Version: 0.1.1
Release: 2015-10-13
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.15.36
Category: Gameplay
Download-Url: Attached
License
Long description
Version history
Attachments
DroneCommand_0.1.4.zip
(278.23 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
DroneCommand_0.1.3.zip
(278.16 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
DroneCommand_0.1.1.zip
(278.06 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Last edited by Adil on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15.36] DroneCommand_0.1.1 (13.10.17)

Post by Adil »

Here comes the first writeup on the usage.

Doing smart radar

In this mod, I've tried to keep the interface of my special buildings simple. This however means, that much should be done on the player side. (this however is not set in stone, I just don't know better.
So, here comes part one of the guide to this mod, which is more of a guide to combinators.

Let's start small.
Attachment limit reached, see next post: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=53339&p=312314#p312314 .

Savegames
Last edited by Adil on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...

teenkertoy
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15.36] DroneCommand_0.1.1 (Oct 13 17)

Post by teenkertoy »

I was really interested in being able to automatically have drones zoom around and fight biter bases, but then I saw the combinator networks in your saved games and I have no idea what's going on and I'm not interested in learning how to build a contraption that complex.

I really hope you can find a way to make this more accessible. Perhaps look at the AAI Vehicles mod to see how his combinator setups work? There are some videos that explain it, seems quite a bit more simple than what you have. Or I'm completely misunderstanding what your saved games have in them. Either way, I have no idea how to use this mod.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Continuing.
Let this be a wrap for now. I will describe the setup for drone sending a bit later.
Here is the blueprint string of the resulting setup:
Smart radar blueprint
Last edited by Adil on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

teenkertoy wrote:I was really interested in being able to automatically have drones zoom around and fight biter bases, but then I saw the combinator networks in your saved games and I have no idea what's going on and I'm not interested in learning how to build a contraption that complex.

I really hope you can find a way to make this more accessible. Perhaps look at the AAI Vehicles mod to see how his combinator setups work? There are some videos that explain it, seems quite a bit more simple than what you have. Or I'm completely misunderstanding what your saved games have in them. Either way, I have no idea how to use this mod.
Well, to be honest, these contraptions would be challenging for me too if I hadn't beaten (well, almost) the Spacechem before.

I've wanted to make something more involved that the Robot Army, but I guess I've overshoot with involvement.

I've skimmed through some AAI guide. My schemes are big because I've had to explicitly build the circuits for loops and for handling the duplicate orders. AAI does the former in the lua code and has no problem with spamming the same order to the unit. (In DroneCommand the order may involve the spawning of the robots, and continuous spam of those might be undesirable, yet in other situations one might want the similar signals to be handled twice.)

I guess I could move those two functions under the hood. But for now I'll take a break and wait for more replies. Who knows, maybe a swarm of diehard microcontroller fans will drift around.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Also, newer version is released. Inner workings reorganization was done. Maybe I've fixed something, maybe it wasn't broken before I've started updating.

teenkertoy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by teenkertoy »

The most significant thing I enjoyed about seeing your mod was since the capsules fly, they don't have the pathing problems that the AAI Vehicles and the Robot Army mods do. Instead of a very long single file line of robots slowly approaching a biter base and getting wiped one at a time, a gaggle of capsules can all arrive at the same time in a pack and not get overwhelmed as they trickle in.

Thanks for adding some explanations earlier, I didn't see that before.

I'm really interested to see where this goes. Have fun with it!

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Transmitter basics

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Using tansmitter
So, the transmitter does not do complex logic in the regard of the input signals. For example, if you pass it a signal "20 defender" it will just spawn those. What if the squad already has 20 "defender"s? Should the signal be treated as a desired number of drones in squad or as a reinforcements? Should it be treated differently if the squad is far away at the moment of order? What if half of the squad is about to expire? I've figured its up to player to decide on those.

Here I'll show how to make search and destroy circuit.
Terminology
3a
3b
3c
Blueprint
Old blueprint
Search and destroy blueprint
Older blueprint

nuclearnix
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15.36] DroneCommand_0.1.4 (Dec 6 17)

Post by nuclearnix »

Hey,
Just so you know your mod immediately crashes on startup forcing it to be disabled.

thanks,
-----
NN

Return to “Mods”