[0.15] Multiblocks

Topics and discussion about specific mods
WildWolf
Inserter
Inserter

[0.15] Multiblocks

Post by WildWolf »

This mod adds a way to add a new building method in factorio where you dont need to craft the building/s but instead build sub buildings to make the full structure on the map.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/WildWolf/Multiblocks
Brought to you by a crappy pc...

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.15] Multiblocks

Post by ZombieMooose »

With this could you have layers of construction? Each stage would have a different graphic.
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

Lemlin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lemlin »

Pictures?
I don´t understand much from reading the description...

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Multiblocks in Minecraft were "machines" that are larger than "one block" because in MC players can only place single blocks. In factorio the player can place arbitrarily large entities and isn't limited to one block, so in most cases it's not desirable to replace e.g. an array of 3x3 lamps with one "large lamp". And as this mod removes all the parts and just replaces it with a single entity at the end the player might as well just place the end result themselfs, as any multiblock concept that actually requries several different entities needs custom logic anyway.

Also ..eer. Hate to break this to you but "global" isn't actually accessible by any other mods. If you wanted to make an API you'd need to use http://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/LuaRemote.html
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

WildWolf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WildWolf »

so then in reality their discription of the variable global is wrong

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

WildWolf wrote:so then in reality their discription of the variable global is wrong
The name is ill chosen but:
The Lua API Documentation on Data Lifecycle wrote: Each mod has its own Lua instance and own global table to store data.
The Lua API Documentation on Global wrote: Each mod has access to its own instance of this table (global) so data stored does not need to use some unique name.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

WildWolf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WildWolf »

New version up now with actualy functionality for other mod creators

Sir_Cherry
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sir_Cherry »

I'm very interested in this mod actually.
While the people here are tight that this isn't needed for factorio, I would like to change things up a bit from time to time.
You have my support on this one.
If I remember and have free time I'll try implementing this for angels refining as a test.

pieppiep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pieppiep »

I still don't understand what 'multiblocks' are.
I've never played minecraft so I googled it a bit, but it doesn't explain a lot.
What I can find is structures in minecraft that are bigger than one block and can do 'complicated' stuff.
What is the equivalent in factorio?
Multiple assembling machines and inserters in prearranged places? That's more like a blueprint I guess.
One big machine doing multiple recipes? Isn't that a bit like factorissimo and just placing a blueprint in it?

Sir_Cherry
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sir_Cherry »

pieppiep wrote:I still don't understand what 'multiblocks' are.
I've never played minecraft so I googled it a bit, but it doesn't explain a lot.
What I can find is structures in minecraft that are bigger than one block and can do 'complicated' stuff.
What is the equivalent in factorio?
Multiple assembling machines and inserters in prearranged places? That's more like a blueprint I guess.
One big machine doing multiple recipes? Isn't that a bit like factorissimo and just placing a blueprint in it?
No, it's more than that. A multiblock structure is made by placing multiple blocks in a certain pattern. These structures have many advantages over regular machines.
First advantage which exists (to get this out of the way) is that with a multiblock structure you can increase the number of connections to a machine. This is much more relevant to Minecraft than Factorio since Factorio has machines that take up more than one block/tile EG: Assembly Machines (3x3)

Second, multiblock machines can be made to be upgradable by adding more things onto them. Take for example the Altar from Blood Magic https://ftbwiki.org/Blood_Altar#Upgrades This multiblock is upgradable as you unlock new technology and manufacture new materials. This can be an interesting route to take as opposed to having to tear down your current factory and rebuilding it in order to integrate some new technology.

Third, multiblock machines can have upgradable parts. Take a look at https://youtu.be/bffsFZ1jYSk?t=66 Bears Den places a HV Energy Hatch. Once he sets up a system that converts power to EV, instead of having to create an entire new machine, he can replace the HV Energy Hatch with an EV alternative and the machine would have a higher energy input, hence it wouldn't be bottle-necking on power. The now replaced HV Hatch could then be used on a machine that doesn't need as much energy so the blocks aren't stashed away forever, but instead can be reused.

Fourth, multiblock machines are much more flexible in their production rates. For example take BigReactors. If you just google the mod name and look at the pictures you immediately will notice that there are a lot of different designs for these multiblocks. You have some designs that make 7x7 reactor with 5 fuel rods and resonant ender as coolant and then you have some designs that are of size 9x9, have 16 fuel rods and have gelid cryotheum as coolant. (Look at this video for explanation on what all these are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejNHvJ5kEHw&t=967s) The point is that you can have any number of fuel rods in any arrangement and you can use any of the coolants from any mod that adds them in order to make your machine. Based upon your arrangement, the production speed, production amount and the efficiency of the machine will change. For example, resonant ender is a better coolant than water so it'll be more effective at preventing the machine from overheating and exploding.

Fifth, multiblock structures can be made to be expandable. This is similar to point number #2, except that #2 talks about adding things on to a machine and this talks about altering the machine slightly to increase its size. A good example of this is an iron tank from RailCraft. The following page shows the amount of liquid a tank can store based on its size. https://ftbwiki.org/Railcraft_Tank#Capacity Having built a tank, if one needs to expand on the storage, they can simply do so without having to create a new structure and moving all liquid over. Instead they can build the tank up higher or to the side and the amount of liquid stored will be kept.

Sixth, multiblock structures don't have to be square or rectangular. They can be of any shape that the mod author desires them to be. This can certainly change the way some assembly lines are designed and spice up the core Factorio experience. An example of this can be seen in BuildCraft's Assembly Table and Laser https://ftbwiki.org/Laser_(BuildCraft)#Usage There you have a single central part called an Assembly Table and within a certain range of that block you have any number of Lasers in any arrangement. This is similar to #3, however instead of varying the properties of the machine, the machine is influenced by its surroundings. Another example can be taken Blood Magic's Rituals which demonstrates a more fundamental use of this property https://ftbwiki.org/Aura_of_Expulsion

I believe that multiblocks can very much change the way that Factorio is played for the better. It wouldn't replace the current standard, but it would open up the doors to many new designs and make the game more varied and interesting.
This mod doesn't make full use of the potential that mutiblocks have, but I'm certain that once people realize its potential, a mod which supplies all these functionalities will emerge.

Return to “Mods”