Topics and discussion about specific mods
shruikan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[MOD 0.15] Overseer 0.1.0

Post by shruikan »

Type: Mod
Name: Overseer
Description: Shifts the gameplay style to a robot-based "overseer". Get's rid of the Engineer. Starts with a "probe" (glorified roboport) placed and some construction bots. The player can only place blueprints.
License: GNU LGPLv3
Version: 0.1.0
Release: 2017-08-28
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.15.34
Category: (gameplay overhaul)
Tags: Overseer mode,
Download-Url: soon™

Attention: this mod is in super-early stage of development. I'll only make it avaliable to download once I have something to show.
I have no programming background, and my knolowedge of Lua and the modding API is very limited, so I'm accepting any kind of help on this project.
I'll learn how to set up an online repository for this, and share all my progress here.
description
dev checklist

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Overseer 0.1.0

Post by Repofme1 »

Sounds like a really cool concept! I've always kinda liked the idea of directing a self-replicating robot base. It offers some explanation for a lot of strategy games too, although I'm no good at those.

I can see as well that it could be rather difficult to accomplish, although the overall plan seems to fit the sandbox mode scenario a bit better than freeplay. Unfortunately I don't know any of the API either, so I can't help beyond suggesting to explore the code for that scenario.

Wildejackson
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wildejackson »

I think this concept could allow for a really interesting game. As it is, you begin as a crashed probe and you can't handcraft or fight which only really serves to slow construction efforts early game. I think it would be wise to take the mod in a direction that effects the expansion of the base all throughout the game. I think the construction area thing as a limiting factor would force the player into building some really interesting fractional bases. If it could be that you use AAI's vehicles to expand you would be forced to build everything in little towns if construction areas were limited enough. That would emphasize specialization and train use, and even prompt a micro-economy type situation; rather then one huge base with little outposts, you'd have smaller bases mining their own resources trading with each other. I can't wait to see where this mod goes in the future.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Sounds interesting, don't know if plays interesting as well.
You know, the inability to just place buildings right away is a major tedium, when you are planning things up\want to see how it plays out. Sure, if you bash on it long enough, you evolve a new play-style situated for these constraints, but something must keep you interested until that.

I doubt the minibases with railroad setup would be stimulated by this mod. After all, if you are constrained by roboports, just build more of them. And the rails ain't gonna lay themselves, you know.

Anyways, I'd suggest to start by looking at factorio/data/core/prototypes/god-controller.lua and factorio/data/base/scenarios/sandbox.lua . I think deriving from those will get a foundation.
And to make sure that player doesn't grab items he is not supposed to, the following events may be used on_player_main_inventory_changed, on_player_quickbar_inventory_changed. Will have to solve with all different kinds of situations in there (items taken from chests, unused assembler ingredients on recipe change, etc, etc).

I'm not going to code anything currently, but I'll drop by to have a look when there is something.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Return to “Mods”