[MOD 1.1] Xander Mod v3.6.1

Topics and discussion about specific mods
DarkyPupu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Xander Mod v1.4.1

Post by DarkyPupu »

I understand that, but i really enjoy the idea of a always running server :)
Now that i'm used to play with it, it's quite hard to go back and be sure to have the factory as you left it, it's really a different gameplay to be able to secure prodution and safety even when you're not here :D

I kind of solved the issue however, using omniscience mod, it allows to have kind of normal costs at the start and totally unreasonnable ones later on :) So far it's exactly what i wanted.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Anyone else having issues with burner lab in 1.4.1?
It has no selection nor collision box for me which makes it unusable.

DarkyPupu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DarkyPupu »

Check few posts before, there are 2 lines to add to the mod to solve that issue (or wait next version)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Yep it's a bit more - like corpse, explosion and light if expected.
Also mods directory name is not proper - if you extract it to run it needs to be fixed up.

One more thing that might need to changed - base game dropped uranium from starting area but it's in RSO config for Xander still. Do you want me to drop it from starting area too?

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

orzelek wrote:Yep it's a bit more - like corpse, explosion and light if expected.
Also mods directory name is not proper - if you extract it to run it needs to be fixed up.

One more thing that might need to changed - base game dropped uranium from starting area but it's in RSO config for Xander still. Do you want me to drop it from starting area too?
Yes to removing uranium from starting area - it's really not needed so early on.

I think I see what you mean about the directory name - is it the folder directly inside the zip? I believe that name change was an accidental side effect of putting it on GitHub, I'll correct it going forward.

With corpse, light, and explosion do you refer to the burner lab? I'm not exactly sure what's being said, or why it's not blueprinting right, I'll look at it again.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Repofme1 wrote:
orzelek wrote:Yep it's a bit more - like corpse, explosion and light if expected.

Yes to removing uranium from starting area - it's really not needed so early on.

I think I see what you mean about the directory name - is it the folder directly inside the zip? I believe that name change was an accidental side effect of putting it on GitHub, I'll correct it going forward.

With corpse, light, and explosion do you refer to the burner lab? I'm not exactly sure what's being said, or why it's not blueprinting right, I'll look at it again.
Main issue is that by default it has no selection nor collision.
Other things are working light, remains and explosion - those are also missing in lab definition and are present on base game lab.

One more strange thing I found today - if you deconstruct stone brick furnace you get stone furnace(base game one) that doesn't work, you need to place it and mine again to get stone brick one back.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

orzelek wrote:
Repofme1 wrote:

Main issue is that by default it has no selection nor collision.
Other things are working light, remains and explosion - those are also missing in lab definition and are present on base game lab.

One more strange thing I found today - if you deconstruct stone brick furnace you get stone furnace(base game one) that doesn't work, you need to place it and mine again to get stone brick one back.
I added some more lines to the burner lab and it seems to be fixed - this is in my latest development version on GitHub. Also committed some other work there today.

As for the stone furnace, I finally understand what's going on. The issue was raised and figured out on GitHub back in November, I just haven't had the time and focus to address it. I am finally getting around to it now so it should be fixed in the next release.

GeekinaCave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GeekinaCave »

In case someone is interested there's a mod which fits really well for replace the "logging camp" in more realistic way called Lumberjack.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

GeekinaCave wrote:In case someone is interested there's a mod which fits really well for replace the "logging camp" in more realistic way called Lumberjack.
Oh! I saw that mod come up on the website, but I thought it was for hand chopping - I didn't realize it's an entity! This is exactly what I was thinking of with the logging camp :shock:

This plus an increase to wood yield would be a nearly perfect solution to the XM wood issue. The increase to yield would be somewhat arbitrary and mainly just for balancing. I can think of a few ways to do that, from as simple as changing the drop rate from trees, to adding a machine sawing recipe that gives more material. I'll have to see what works. This solidly is on my list of stuff to do - I just have to get to it, eventually.

GeekinaCave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GeekinaCave »

Repofme1 wrote:
GeekinaCave wrote:In case someone is interested there's a mod which fits really well for replace the "logging camp" in more realistic way called Lumberjack.
Oh! I saw that mod come up on the website, but I thought it was for hand chopping - I didn't realize it's an entity! This is exactly what I was thinking of with the logging camp :shock:

This plus an increase to wood yield would be a nearly perfect solution to the XM wood issue. The increase to yield would be somewhat arbitrary and mainly just for balancing. I can think of a few ways to do that, from as simple as changing the drop rate from trees, to adding a machine sawing recipe that gives more material. I'll have to see what works. This solidly is on my list of stuff to do - I just have to get to it, eventually.
well in my case i use with "Natural tree Expansion Reloaded" which gives me a somewhat constant supply of wood, plus i get that immersive vibe of the alien mother nature trying to get back what I'm taking from her. ;)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Repofme1 wrote: I can think of a few ways to do that, from as simple as changing the drop rate from trees, to adding a machine sawing recipe that gives more material. I'll have to see what works.
Imho the recipe approach is more "factorio" than just changing the mining_result. Resources give the same amount when mined regardless of the mods you use (ore = 1, rock ~20ish, tree ~4ish, etc), so to me that's somewhat of a basic constant that i expect to not change. It's also a lot cleaner code wise to add a recipe than to try and iterate over all trees (including modded ones).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Raccoon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Raccoon »

I've tried to reach you in Discord but you havent written back yet. So i try it here. I have a bunch of suggestions should i post them here or do you come to Discord?

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

eradicator wrote:
Repofme1 wrote: I can think of a few ways to do that, from as simple as changing the drop rate from trees, to adding a machine sawing recipe that gives more material. I'll have to see what works.
Imho the recipe approach is more "factorio" than just changing the mining_result. Resources give the same amount when mined regardless of the mods you use (ore = 1, rock ~20ish, tree ~4ish, etc), so to me that's somewhat of a basic constant that i expect to not change. It's also a lot cleaner code wise to add a recipe than to try and iterate over all trees (including modded ones).
Right, the many different specific tree entities would be a problem! I didn't think about having to iterate over all the tree types, it's possible (although difficult) for the base game, but with the introduction of other mods it would be impossible to effectively catch every kind of tree for changing the drop rate. I'm glad you mentioned that, since it was a big factor in pushing me towards the recipe approach just now.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

Raccoon wrote:I've tried to reach you in Discord but you havent written back yet. So i try it here. I have a bunch of suggestions should i post them here or do you come to Discord?
Hi there, sorry that I haven't replied, I don't really use Discord. The forum here is a much better way to reach me. I actually haven't looked at the mod much at all in the past three weeks or so, but I am today.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Current Status and Future Plans

Post by Repofme1 »

Hi all -

First, a word on immediate issues. I apologize for being gone for so long; it's been about a month since the last update, and I have hardly posted anything either. I actually have had a substantial update almost ready for a while, which I will publish later today. I should have gotten this out earlier, and it's my fault for losing focus. I'm working on Factorio today, but I can't say for sure that I'll be back to regular updates now.

Second, some more details on the current state of my work on the mod. The issue is not entirely a matter of time, since I don't have a huge amount, but I do still have some, enough to do something with. I feel that the main reason I have lost focus is low motivation to keep working on the mod in the way I have been. To clarify, I still very much want to play Factorio, and work on Xander Mod, and I still even get good ideas that come to mind. The trouble is the structure and format I've been working in: I spend such a large fraction of my Factorio time working on the mod, that I don't have any time to play the game - even for testing he mod myself! In more detail, things like bugfixes, responding to comments, discussing features, writing changes to the code, and publishing take up 95% of the time I have for Factorio. Not only does this discourage me, since I rarely get to enjoy playing the mod of my own making, but it also makes my work inefficient and misguided, because I don't have the same first-hand perspective as the people playing and testing the mod. The conclusion is that my typical activity patterns with Factorio are not very conducive to inspiration, creativity, and good mod making.

Don't mistake my meaning as one of blame, I do not fault anyone for this, it just sort of happened this way. Fortunately, now that I recognize the issue, I can try to do something about it.

Third, we come to future plans. The apparent way forward, as it seems to me, is to finish the current mod to a certain point, and then work on a new major version: 2.0.0. Ideally I would like to bring the current version 1.X to a point where it is reasonably possible to launch a rocket with it. Of course this is a very fuzzy distinction, because there is a gradient running from 'technically possible but absurdly difficult' through 'possible and well-balanced', to 'far too easy'. I would be fine with getting XM 1 roughly near playable, even if it is still awkward, for the sake of moving on to XM 2. Perfect balance and optimization, as well as strict realism, should not be my priorities here, even though I have focused on them a lot so far. Now, the reason I want to move on to a new major version has a few different parts. A main one is to establish a new work format: playing through a world, building the mod as I go along, and informally publishing whatever I've got on a regular schedule of every week or two. My hope is that this will do a better job of keeping me motivated. Work style alone doesn't strictly demand a new major version, but other things do: I have a major revision to the ore generation, a handful of big ideas for the bulk material mechanics (and others), and a wide variety of miscellaneous things, built up over the past six months. Of course many things will remain, so I plan to use the current mod as a base to modify instead of completely rebuilding everything, but declaring a new major version will also be an opportune time to improve a lot of naming conventions, file structure, code organization, etc. I should also be able to more fully incorporate the somewhat better knowledge of the game's code that I have learned so far.

My approximate time scale for wrapping up the current version and starting the next is within the next 2 or 3 months, since my schedule will be switching from classes to work for the spring and summer, and I should have significantly more time for the mod.

I am aware that this is heavier stuff than usual for a Factorio mod, and I understand if people just want to have fun and not analyze it too deeply. That being said, we have had a lot of good thoughtful discussion so far, so I ask: what do you think?

Post-script EDIT: Oh gosh that's a real wall of text. Whoops, sorry :lol:

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

1.5.0 Upload Problems

Post by Repofme1 »

Hi again -

So, I've been trying on and off for almost half the day, to try to publish the new mod version, 1.5.0. But the mod portal keeps giving me strange errors. At first it said the file (156 MB) was too large, then I tried reducing it to 149 MB and the error remained. So I left and came back, and now it's giving me "access denied" and "multiple info.json files found" errors. I was logged in every time (otherwise I couldn't have even tried to upload a new version), so the former don't seem to make sense, and I'm pretty sure there is only one info.json (I think it wouldn't load on my local machine if there were actually multiple, but it does load), so I suspect bugs somewhere. I'll continue trying to get the new version through on the mod portal, but for now, the latest version is available on GitHub at:

https://github.com/Factorio-Xander-Mod/ ... d/releases

The release tagged as 1.5.0 should have the latest work.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Version 1.5.0 Published

Post by Repofme1 »

Hi all -

Well, that was confusing. But the new version is finally published. After some more searching, I did find another info.json file - hiding in the locale, and all that was written in it was that the language name was English! I tried out deleting that file from the upload, just for something else to try, and it seems to have worked. I don't know if this will cause anything strange with the locale; it didn't seem to at first glance in my game. Let me know if it does.

Anyway, as usual here is a short summary of changes:
  • - Fixed burner lab, finally
    - Resolved the issue with multiple furnace items, most noticeable with the stone brick furnace
    - New textures for XM tiles, in the style of the new base game tiles
    - Added recipe for cracking propylene to ethylene to try to clear up massive excess stocks of propylene in early oil production
    - Cleaned up the mining balance plan
With the full list attached:
New in 1-5-0.txt
Changelog 1.4.1 -> 1.5.0
(1.93 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

:( bug bug!
:D