[MOD 1.1] Xander Mod v3.6.1

Topics and discussion about specific mods
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15+] Xander Mod v1.3.0

Post by eradicator »

Repofme1 wrote: But then I changed the furnaces to accept multiple ingredients (somewhat long story), so I got rid of all the charge items. The steel one must have been in a migration file somewhere. :?
As far as i know it's impossible for a furnace recipe to have multiple input ingredients. How are you supposedly doing that? (Link to code is fine too if its too long to explain)
Repofme1 wrote: I don't know what to do about this, other than start a new world. All the new ores and modified resource chains in XM make starting a new world a good idea. I just hope your old one wasn't corrupted or anything.
Well. If it doesn't exist anymore how about you just remove that line from the migrations file :P?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

eradicator wrote:
Repofme1 wrote: But then I changed the furnaces to accept multiple ingredients (somewhat long story), so I got rid of all the charge items. The steel one must have been in a migration file somewhere. :?
As far as i know it's impossible for a furnace recipe to have multiple input ingredients. How are you supposedly doing that? (Link to code is fine too if its too long to explain)
Repofme1 wrote: I don't know what to do about this, other than start a new world. All the new ores and modified resource chains in XM make starting a new world a good idea. I just hope your old one wasn't corrupted or anything.
Well. If it doesn't exist anymore how about you just remove that line from the migrations file :P?
Before using the recipe bound furnaces (which are masked assembly machines), the mod used normal furnaces, with one input ingredient. If more inputs were needed, a charge intermediate was introduced. f.e. for bronze, there was a recipe with copper and tin to get a copper-tin charge, which could be smelted.
The main problem was, that there were also recipes for fuel items, for examples. coke is smelted to graphite. Whenever the original ingredient f.e. iron ore starved, the furnaces switched to graphite. Same for charcoal -> soda.

Anyway, i also dont think, that the migrations are needed anymore. Or you check, if the items/objects to migrate really exist. (I'm very not familiar with lua or modding code)

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

[0.15.37] Loading map, that hasn't earlier Xander mod [1.3.0].
Attachments
2017-10-21 12_12_47-Factorio 0.15.37.png
2017-10-21 12_12_47-Factorio 0.15.37.png (141.58 KiB) Viewed 7734 times

waabsheshi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by waabsheshi »

Looks like I've gotten through most of the completed work. I've gotten steel gear mechanisms completely automated and circuits mostly automated (with a few chest pairs where the spaghetti got bad). Pretty interesting so far although there doesn't seem to be much of a point to automating science since the next step (chemistry) has lockouts until the next patch.

I'd love the chance to put some of my ideas into code so I'm looking forward to seeing this mod go up on github. I use git a lot so feel feel free to ask me any questions you have about the process. As for loaders, I think you should keep them in, as your recipies are much more realistic than those of the other mods and your changes to the belt tiers are likely to cause compatibility problems with them.
Attachments
20171024210442_1.jpg
20171024210442_1.jpg (448.78 KiB) Viewed 7677 times

houkime
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by houkime »

Me too can probably help things out.
Really, get a github repo already so we can all fork you and spam with pull requests ^_^
I remember you complained you can't really do complex programming of objects' behavior, so this is one way to solve this.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

I'm enjoying this mod quite a bit so far. I'm 22 hours in with electromechanical circuits, red, and green science automated. I've enjoyed fiddling around with bulk setups for coke, steel, and bronze production.

I love building relays for early logic, and I like the way early circuits migrate from wood to phenolic resin to fiberglass substrate for the same basic circuits. It seems odd that even in the late game the player will still be building electromechanical circuits though. Here's one proposal: have a "basic logic circuit" which is built early on with relays, with added later recipes utilizing transistor ICs later.

The dual recipes for brushed motor and standard inserter are quite troublesome. My suggestion would be to introduce another tier of inserter that is built with iron components and is electrically powered, but only has the speed of the burner inserters. This would give a clear reason to upgrade to the steel-based units without stretching out the burner period and the accompanying annoyance of keeping burner inserters fueled.

I'm really looking forward to playing more of this, and I may cheat myself a Chemical Reactor to continue, even though I know it's not really ready yet. When's the next release and/or Github repository coming?

My notes from playing so far, and browsing through the tech tree:

1) As has been mentioned, the Standard Chemical Reactor is inaccessible due to the dependency on nickel piping.
2) Iron Refining is green science, but there is no access to hematite except as a byproduct of chromium, and much later with blue science, chalcopyrite or vanadium co-refining at blue/purple science. It seems there is a big gap after blast furnaces for improving iron/steel yields.
3) There is no advantage to limestone washing over the basic stone->limestone transformation. Most of the other basic mineral processing recipes get a 2x yield improvement, or at least a 2x reduction in recipe time, but for my iron smelting needs I wound up with 8x coal-powered basic mineral sluices to acquire limestone.
4) The basic waste water disposal recipe in Crude Phenol Washing requires a Standard Chemical Reactor, so there doesn't seem to be any application for it before the full Waste Water Treatment tech renders it obsolete.
5) The Automatic Feed Lathe Mill requires Steel Tooling, which requires wood and stone bricks in its initial recipe, which seems unlikely as a component in a milling machine.
6) Fast inserters and inserter stack bonus are a long way down the tech tree, since despite being red/green techs, they are gated behind blue science via brushless motors. Brushless motors in turn are gated behind blue/purple science by way of requiring aluminum casings. I'd suggest changing this, possibly by introducing some limited stack bonus before stack inserter a la Bob's.
7) Steam Locomotive requires Internal Combustion Engine Unit and Electromechanical Control System. I'd like to see this reduced to simply a large amount of steel forgings and gear assemblies, or possibly introducing a "piston assembly" that could go into the internal combustion unit, steam locomotive, and maybe even the basic pumps.
8) Duplicate Salt recipes under Acheson Process and Sodium Processing?
9) There's a nice improved recipe for Graphite Blocks in Carbon Processing, but no way to get Graphite Powder aside from smelting coke or as a byproduct of grinding silicon plates. Intended?
10) The Fluid Waste Recipes that consume 1 gravel and yield 1 gravel seem unnecessary.
11) Standard Solder Alloy plate recipe duplicated in Soldering II.
12) Why does a Gas-Discharge lamp require alloy gears?
13) I would like to call the bronze bushings by their proper name; I don't think it's any more confusing that "bearings" for your target audience.
14) Move the resol-based coil recipe to Polymer Resins I from its current home in Electric Motor I.

Graphically:
1) Fine Solder Wire coils and Fine Tinned Copper Wire coils are difficult to distinguish. I'd recommend giving the reels distinct colors, since I presume (and I support) you want to keep the colors of the actual wire true to life.
2) Similarly, magnetite and limestone are too close in color and hard to distinguish.
Miniloader — UPS-friendly 1x1 loaders
Bulk Rail Loaders — Rapid train loading and unloading
Beltlayer & Pipelayer — Route items and fluids freely underground

alego22
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alego22 »

https://youtu.be/iEhT33XNy6E
Steel works as landfill. Bug or Feature?

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Version 1.3.1 Out

Post by Repofme1 »

Hi all -

Sorry I kept you waiting for a month! It's been a while, but I finally got to a point where I could post an update, and just in time for the weekend! This one feels pretty heavy on content, so I maybe could have broken it into two smaller ones, with one of them sooner and the other half now. But I haven't had much time, so I wanted to spend it as efficiently as possible, and that meant the time it would have taken to wrap up an intermediate update went to things like fixing the electric chemical reactor instead! And a whole new plan for circuits, along with a bunch of other stuff. Changelog on the OP like usual.

I'll keep this short, since I have to go soon, but a word on next plans: Now that the mod is a bit more established, and I feel more comfortable with its state of progress, I intend to finally put it on GitHub! I had begun that with some very nice help from ironhefpython, but then I got stuck on what to do with a GitHub client and how to actually put the mod into a repository in a way we can work with it. And then I got distracted with improving features, and, well... here we are. But I see now - even more so than I already did - that it would be great to put XM on GitHub, so I mean to do that before the next update! I mean, heck, a bunch of people have told me they want to collaborate! I really didn't expect that, but it's a great thing, and now I have an important role in making it possible.

ironchefpython
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15+] Xander Mod v1.3.1

Post by ironchefpython »

I'll be starting a public multiplayer game, anyone is welcome to join, as long as they help document any missing recipes or other issues.

Modlist:

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Cerbrus/ ... acefulMode
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/jamesaguilar/long-reach
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/trold/Bottleneck

(and xander of course)

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

FWIW, I'd been doing some private hacking on my Github on this, based on the 1.3.0 release. In particular I'd:

1) Implemented a "crude electric inserter."
2) Changed the Standard Chemical Reactor to use steel pipes instead of monel to break the cyclic dependency there.
3) Moved the Crude Water Clarifying recipe to the Crude Chemical Reactor.
4) Reattached the orphan Hematite Washing recipe to the Iron Refining tech, where I presume it belongs.

I don't expect any of these changes to merge properly with 1.3.1, but I'll have a look! :)

https://github.com/mspielberg/xander-mod
I'll be starting a public multiplayer game, anyone is welcome to join, as long as they help document any missing recipes or other issues.

Modlist:
Can I suggest adding Helmod and at least one of FactorioNEI / WIIRUF? In-game tools to navigate the recipe tree might be helpful to find bugs.

alego22
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alego22 »

alego22
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alego22 »

Oh, its not problem of "hard-solid", problem in Hardeness, 2.5 too strong hardeness for elec.drill.
Old message
Last edited by alego22 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

alego22
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alego22 »

If I put the Electric Foundy Forge and break it, I get electric furnace
GIF
https://i.imgur.com/IlczPwD.gifv

alego22
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alego22 »

After the update, some recipes were deleted and they could not be created, for example a resistor.
This command help for reload techtree for unlock recipes. but its Disable in game Achievements. That it resets the explored area (Thanks for test jodokus31)

Code: Select all

/c tech = {} for name,technology in pairs(game.player.force.technologies) do if technology.researched == true then table.insert( tech, technology.name ) end end game.player.force.reset() for _, tech_name in pairs(tech) do for name,technology in pairs(game.player.force.technologies) do if (technology.name == tech_name) then technology.researched = true end end end
Last edited by alego22 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

alego22
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alego22 »

This realy good and intresting mod,But the problems that block the further gameplay are very grievous, I hope that they will be corrected in the near future.

If interested, it looks like this now: (screenshots)
Hehe

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Nice to see, that something's happen again. Thanks for the update. I also read the changelog. which is quite detailled. (Seems to get a really big project...)

I checked my current 1.3.0 savegame and I can confirm the problems alego22 reported:
- mining garniertite doesnt work. The miner is red an cannot be placed.
- Picking up the electric fondry forge turns it into an unusable electric furnace. If you place it the first time, it works. Although the energy requirements for the electric furnace types are with 1 MW very much compared to vanilla with 180 kw. This could be a bit much, but we'll see.
- Thanks alego for the script to enable the recipes. (EDIT: Strange thing is, that it resets the explored area)

I also can confirm most of the topics Therax wrote. The crude inserter could be a good thing, to reduce confusion. I didnt try it yet.

In order to make rubber required for engines(trains and cars), you also need the standard chemplant at the moment. So you have to claim garniertite without a car or train at first. Is it intended?

Currently, Im trying to fix my base and update the recipes :)

Usernm
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Usernm »

About 1 MW electric furnace - it's exactly same, compare to blast furnace 2 Mw.
Your boiler have 50% efficiency and convert 3.6 MW from coal to 1.8 MW in steam, and steam turbines have 100% efficiency, then you get 1.8 MW electricity.
Any coal furnace have 100% efficiency, so 2 MW on blast furnace = 1 MV on electric forge.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

Garnierite not added to starting area because trains were recently fixed to not need nickel or rubber
Looks like this was intended to be changed, but hasn't been. Steam Locomotive requires Engine Units which require rubber.

alego22
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alego22 »

I create hotfix for xander mod (Its mod, Put it in the mods folder):

1. Fixed Recipe Hydrochloric Acid Electrolysis
2. Fixed hardeness of ores: heavy-sand, garnierite, sulfidic-ore (Now you can extract this ore)
3. Fixed Electric Foundy Forge (Now you get Electric Foundy Forge after you remove Electric Foundy Forge)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xE9RWe ... sp=sharing

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Usernm wrote:About 1 MW electric furnace - it's exactly same, compare to blast furnace 2 Mw.
Your boiler have 50% efficiency and convert 3.6 MW from coal to 1.8 MW in steam, and steam turbines have 100% efficiency, then you get 1.8 MW electricity.
Any coal furnace have 100% efficiency, so 2 MW on blast furnace = 1 MV on electric forge.
Interesting info. Thanks. I originally thought, that the burner furnace would take less coal, but did not calculate
Therax wrote:
Garnierite not added to starting area because trains were recently fixed to not need nickel or rubber
Looks like this was intended to be changed, but hasn't been. Steam Locomotive requires Engine Units which require rubber.
Ok, I still think, that rubber should be craftable in crude chem plant, too. This would solve this. Also, the medium electric poles require insulated wire (unlike the big poles).
On the other hand, its maybe kind of a challenge (good or not) to claim the garniertite without car and then profit from the first nickel to get standard chem plant, then rubber, then engines.
alego22 wrote:I create hotfix for xander mod (Its mod, Put it in the mods folder):

1. Fixed Recipe Hydrochloric Acid Electrolysis
2. Fixed hardeness of ores: heavy-sand, garnierite, sulfidic-ore (Now you can extract this ore)
3. Fixed Electric Foundy Forge (Now you get Electric Foundy Forge after you remove Electric Foundy Forge)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xE9RWe ... sp=sharing
Thanks for the effort, i'll try it

Return to “Mods”