[MOD 1.1] Xander Mod v3.6.1

Topics and discussion about specific mods
jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15+] Xander Mod v1.3.0

Post by jodokus31 »

Repofme1 wrote:More specific work so far -

This mainly covers the issue of things with two different recipes, like simple coils, basic electric motors, and regular inserters. After looking at these, I came up with some improvements to hopefully simplify them, like removing circuits from the motor recipe, and increasing the yield of the steel inserter recipe. Now the steel versions of coils, motors, and inserters are slightly cheaper than the iron versions, *after* the best tech (ratio 1 iron -> 1 steel) is unlocked. Since that is not until you have electric furnaces, which takes a while, the steel versions are the same cost as the iron ones *even* in the end of the early burner era (when the Bessemer tech gives 2 iron -> 1 steel). I also switched the order of the "Electricity" and "Induction 1" technologies, so that the parts came before the machines, not putting the metaphorical cart before the horse.
Sounds fine to me.
Repofme1 wrote: Also, a short word again on some of these double recipes: the trouble is that I need to make the regular recipe for things (as used in the middle and late game) of a certain minimum quality, to logically justify the durability, power, etc. of the part. In the electric motor, for example, this is a steel shaft with bronze bearings (well, bushings actually, but that's just a technical name). But the trouble is, that good enough parts are not available in the very early beginning, when you first need the things that are made with them. With the motor example, the steel shaft is not available as early as I would like, because the motor is needed earlier to make inserters. Having to wait for steel parts just to make a few electric inserters would be too much tie and effort. And the lower-quality parts (like iron shaft) would still sort of work, for the purposes of starting out, just not well enough to use through the entire game. Therefore, I have to limit their manufacture to the lower-tier machines, to force upgrading to the good version.
Here it would be nice, if inserter would have a durability property and the bad ones would stop working earlier...(just thinking)
You could also consider to remove the bad recipes for motor and inserter. They are there to bridge the gap, where you need circuits and steel parts. Steel parts are quite early, but expensive, and circuits are also a certain effort to reach. But I think, they are not crucial to progress and burner inserters run long, if you provide 10 coal or such. (Please dont hate me, guys, just want to help to straighten things out and reduce confusion)
And in my opinion, you should not limit the recipes too much, generally. Let the player decide, which recipe is the best. And rather make the advanced recipes more efficient or at least same efficient and faster (f.e. clay/limestone) . If the early recipe is better, then I would use it regardless, if it works only in lower tier machines, with a bitter taste, that something seems wrong
Repofme1 wrote: Oh, I also made lamps and repair packs cheaper - I had not gotten to the point of using either of those, so they still had the original too-expensive versions. That will most likely be true of the whole mod, at least for the first time that I reach it in actual play. I also don't ant to discourage aesthetic things like lamps and paving, because I like them, so I might make the lamps draw less power if I find the use too much.
The research cost for recycling tech is lower too, I felt like I had a TON of early stuff leftover but maybe it's not actually that much.
Nice :) I will collect the recyclable stuff, when all is switched over and check, how much it actually was.
Repofme1 wrote: Circuits are another active topic of my focus, I agree that the current ones are way too hard to set up, and the ones after that are kind of a mess also. So I'm completely re-working the circuits, and I've got a pretty good tier 1 now. No sulfuric acid, tinned sheets, or solder wire (just the bar). Also fewer recipes for components because I lumped them all into one Basic Components Set. I would like to figure out tier 2 circuits too, since they introduce a lot of the real manufacturing techniques, but we'll see. Speaking of that, an example here also relates to the idea of part upgrades required for better automation: connecting individual wires on a circuit board is slow and tedious, while etching patterns with a mask and acid is more difficult to set up (more complexity & harder to produce materials), but much more suited to mass automation.
In my opinion, circuits are meant to be quite challenging. They are for me like milestones, similar to science packs. The first circuits could be slightly less complicated, though. :) So, I think, its a good plan.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

Gragorath wrote:
Airat9000 wrote:Hello! How can I increase the area of extraction? I just have a lot of resources and I do not know how to extract not enough field of extraction .. and I do not want to demolish. do at least 10 on 10 .. purely for myself to check I want ..

Привет! Как можно увеличить область добычи?? просто у меня много ресурсов и не знаю как добывать не хватает области добычи..а сносить не хочу. сделать хотя бы 10на10.. чисто для себя проверить хочу..
Hi.
You'll need to extract the mod zip-file and modify a file, then zip the whole folder again and place the new zip-file in the mods directory. Make sure there's only 1 Xander mod zip-file by either overwriting the original one or moving it to another folder.

Area of extraction is determined by the "resource_searching_radius"-parameter of the entity. For Xander Mod you can find these in __MODDIR__\prototypes\entity\production\miner.lua.
To get a 10x10 extraction area on the Bucket Wheel Excavator, change this value:
line 2045: resource_searching_radius = 2.49 --> resource_searching_radius = 4.99
Alternatively, replace the file with this one. This changes the mining area of the 3 electric mining drills to 10x10.
miner.lua
:D thanks, I'm not the first mod to change just could not find all the files, and thank you so much) by the way I thought a couple of add-ons would be done for this mod.

спасибо я уже не первый мод меняю просто не мог найти все файлы, а так огромное спасибо ) кстати думал пару аддонов сделать для этого мода.

waabsheshi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by waabsheshi »

Really enjoying this mod so far, and I'm at the point of making my first electric machines (handcrafting circuits). Unfortunately, it looks like the Standard Chemical Reactor is locked behind itself via nickel and blasting fluid. Any way of getting around this (perhaps wood-derived nitrocellulose)?

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Hi Repofme1
How about compatibility with angel's mods - especially I am interested in compatibility with angel's refining and angel's ores :?:

Can we make some patch for ur mod to allow angel's ores mod and angel's refining mod to work with ur resources - so we can extract ores from ur mod from 6 angel's ores ? :)
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

jodokus31 wrote:
Thanks for the explanations :) I must confess, that I dont have much idea about material processing, because I'm a computer science guy. But it is so fascinating
I fully agree, that it is very realistic (and realism regarding material processing is really the tenor of this mod), that processes produce waste products, which have to be disposed. The problem here is a bit, that factorio has the mechanics to be able to easily destroy unwanted things or fluids. And it seems to be more efficient to actually do it this way (because, why should i invest the stone to bury the sludge, when I could simple destroy the chest.)
In the end, the player should decide for him/herself, if he/she want to go the realistic or the "efficient" way. At a certain scale, it will be easier to do it the proper way because its automatable. From the gaming point-of-view, it was a bit disappointing for me like "oh, too bad, nothing usefull to get from it"
I definitely know what you mean about the quick 'n dirty methods like picking up a full tank. Looking back, I think that forcing waste to accumulate until the treatment process is unlocked is very awkward, so I want to smooth that progression. As for useful outputs from reprocessing, I distinctly plan to make more detailed grades of waste (light, medium, heavy), to try to reduce the amount of "inseparable mishmash" that must be just dumped. Real processes don't generate as much as in XM, I just have a lot because those numbers came to mind when I first built it all. In the long term, with some more chemistry thinking :), I can hopefully figure out something to extract from the mixed sludge. It would be good to make the automation route solidly better than the crude hand process - that's what Factorio is all about!

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

jodokus31 wrote: Here it would be nice, if inserter would have a durability property and the bad ones would stop working earlier...(just thinking)
You could also consider to remove the bad recipes for motor and inserter. They are there to bridge the gap, where you need circuits and steel parts. Steel parts are quite early, but expensive, and circuits are also a certain effort to reach. But I think, they are not crucial to progress and burner inserters run long, if you provide 10 coal or such. (Please dont hate me, guys, just want to help to straighten things out and reduce confusion)
And in my opinion, you should not limit the recipes too much, generally. Let the player decide, which recipe is the best. And rather make the advanced recipes more efficient or at least same efficient and faster (f.e. clay/limestone) . If the early recipe is better, then I would use it regardless, if it works only in lower tier machines, with a bitter taste, that something seems wrong

In my opinion, circuits are meant to be quite challenging. They are for me like milestones, similar to science packs. The first circuits could be slightly less complicated, though. :) So, I think, its a good plan.
I don't know how to add machine durability, although I have seen that the Wear and Tear mod does it in an interesting way. That's closer to the feel I want, for iron vs. steel machines, but I want to at least complete the full XM game path first. Anyway, about the need for good machines (electric inserters) before you have good parts (steel + circuits): I am okay with hand-loading fuel into big things like furnaces, but I don't want to set up many burner inserters and have to worry about one random one running out over on the other side of my factory every 10 seconds. This is just why I consider it an important quality of life issue to get electric inserters early.

I also feel like circuit automation is a good achievement, but I needed some basic ones early as plausible parts for things, to satisfy my feeling of realism :) Also, the time it takes to get to circuit 1 is really frustrating, like too little achievement for too much work. The new ones will still be harder than base circuit 1, but they feel a lot more fitting to me.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

waabsheshi wrote:Really enjoying this mod so far, and I'm at the point of making my first electric machines (handcrafting circuits). Unfortunately, it looks like the Standard Chemical Reactor is locked behind itself via nickel and blasting fluid. Any way of getting around this (perhaps wood-derived nitrocellulose)?
Thanks! Always glad to see new users - that was me only a month or two ago :D The chemical reactor is on my bug list, so fixing that impossible lock should be upcoming eventually. It's the only electric tier 1 machine that I haven't fixed yet... :x

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

aklesey1 wrote:Hi Repofme1
How about compatibility with angel's mods - especially I am interested in compatibility with angel's refining and angel's ores :?:

Can we make some patch for ur mod to allow angel's ores mod and angel's refining mod to work with ur resources - so we can extract ores from ur mod from 6 angel's ores ? :)
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Angel's ores and processing, how there are only six to start, and so much overlap. For example, with the best refining tech I think you can get nickel ore from like 3 or 4 of the 6 sources. And they ALL give copper and iron, which is not really that common. Like jodokus31 said a couple posts back, the core strength of Xander Mod is raw and bulk materials, so I'd like to keep things rich and varied. That detail reflects my own knowledge and interests, so if I tried to make a patch with Angel's Refining, I would just end up replacing a lot of it with XM refining.

That being said, I would not stop people from making their own patches, even if I could do so - it wold be wrong to suppress that creativity and preference. So please, be my guest, but, uh... I don't think you'll have an easy time. That's another reason why I don't want to put effort into patching this particular combination.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Repofme1 wrote: Please, be my guest, but, uh... I don't think you'll have an easy time. That's another reason why I don't want to put effort into patching this particular combination.
Oh yeah thanks Repofme1, i'll be ur guest - for now i'm trying to make a huge counts of charcoal to provide fuel to my furnaces - its interesting i can't smelt ore and copper ores in electric furnaces, pretty interesting solution, or i'll need to get many coal to get coke from it

I feel like i'm in some kind stone age or iron age ahahahhh, i played with anonymods too yes its was hard too but this mod reminds me about dytech in its best times when i played on 0.10-0.11 and 0.12 versions

Points of interest from for now - it is much given attention to
1) Bronze
2) Brass
3) Steel

Its some hard to make many conveyor belt bcuz i need too much steel and to much iron

Waiting for interesting and serious updates from u Repofme1
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

aklesey1 wrote: Oh yeah thanks Repofme1, i'll be ur guest - for now i'm trying to make a huge counts of charcoal to provide fuel to my furnaces - its interesting i can't smelt ore and copper ores in electric furnaces, pretty interesting solution, or i'll need to get many coal to get coke from it

I feel like i'm in some kind stone age or iron age ahahahhh, i played with anonymods too yes its was hard too but this mod reminds me about dytech in its best times when i played on 0.10-0.11 and 0.12 versions

1) Bronze
2) Brass
3) Steel

Its some hard to make many conveyor belt bcuz i need too much steel and to much iron

I would propose, you create coke from coal as fuel, unless you want to run huge amounts of those logging camps. Later in the mod, wood will be restricted by the amount of forest you have, because the logging camp will harvest the existing trees in a certain radius... And a line or half of coke for each line of smelting is required. Its not like vanilla, where you have one belt of fuel for multiple lines of smelting.
There is also the advanced processes for iron and steel with steel(blast) furnaces, which require limestone and clay. You basically get 2 iron plate or one steel plate from each iron ore.
Regarding belts, I still use a lot of those tier 0 belts, which are awfully slow, but are really cheap. Slowly upgrading to yellow belts on the important locations.
For copper the advanced process is a bit more problematic, because you need soda, which is kind of expensive atm. There's a way with charcoal, but i dont want to rely on wood. And there is a recipe with salt and sulfuric acid which seems expensive for me, when supporting copper. According to my calculations, 3 soda/sec needs 24 crude chem plants for sodium sulfate and 24 for sulfuric acid and many other things.
Smelting with electric furnaces is not an option for me atm, because they require very much energy and i dont have unlocked the recipes for them. But I still have no glue, what to do next with them :D
Bronze and Brass is also not on my agenda, because i need those standard chem plant and rubber to proceed...

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Repofme1 wrote: I definitely know what you mean about the quick 'n dirty methods like picking up a full tank. Looking back, I think that forcing waste to accumulate until the treatment process is unlocked is very awkward, so I want to smooth that progression. As for useful outputs from reprocessing, I distinctly plan to make more detailed grades of waste (light, medium, heavy), to try to reduce the amount of "inseparable mishmash" that must be just dumped. Real processes don't generate as much as in XM, I just have a lot because those numbers came to mind when I first built it all. In the long term, with some more chemistry thinking :), I can hopefully figure out something to extract from the mixed sludge. It would be good to make the automation route solidly better than the crude hand process - that's what Factorio is all about!
I know, you will come up with a mindblowing solution eventually :D Maybe nothing, what is really urgent for now
Repofme1 wrote: I don't know how to add machine durability, although I have seen that the Wear and Tear mod does it in an interesting way. That's closer to the feel I want, for iron vs. steel machines, but I want to at least complete the full XM game path first. Anyway, about the need for good machines (electric inserters) before you have good parts (steel + circuits): I am okay with hand-loading fuel into big things like furnaces, but I don't want to set up many burner inserters and have to worry about one random one running out over on the other side of my factory every 10 seconds. This is just why I consider it an important quality of life issue to get electric inserters early.

I also feel like circuit automation is a good achievement, but I needed some basic ones early as plausible parts for things, to satisfy my feeling of realism :) Also, the time it takes to get to circuit 1 is really frustrating, like too little achievement for too much work. The new ones will still be harder than base circuit 1, but they feel a lot more fitting to me.
Yes, its just an idea, which i dont seriously expect. Wear and Tear is interesting, but i think, its not that important atm. And if you decide to do it, i would make it optional, because i think, its not everybody's cup of tea.
Regarding inserters, you could make it a lower tier of electric inserters, which are more slow, use more energy and/or cannot used for green science? Not that i really like it, to have another tier, but i think filling up burner inserters is really not what the most of us want :D. And it would also solve the problem with hand crafting recipe selection.
All in all, its not something, that really bothers me, because i've decided to just use the steel recipe and only do machine crafting for them ;) But I think, that it will be something, where a lot of question may come up

The circuits 1 are definitly a bit hard atm. Although, when finished, its a nice achievment :), But it took me several hours to automate them ok-ish. And they are still very expensive resource-wise. iirc: 2,5 copper, 1 steel, etc.
Repofme1 wrote: Thanks! Always glad to see new users - that was me only a month or two ago :D The chemical reactor is on my bug list, so fixing that impossible lock should be upcoming eventually. It's the only electric tier 1 machine that I haven't fixed yet... :x
That's currently my biggest holdup to proceed instead of spamming the forum ;)

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

aklesey1 wrote:
Repofme1 wrote: Please, be my guest, but, uh... I don't think you'll have an easy time. That's another reason why I don't want to put effort into patching this particular combination.
Oh yeah thanks Repofme1, i'll be ur guest - for now i'm trying to make a huge counts of charcoal to provide fuel to my furnaces - its interesting i can't smelt ore and copper ores in electric furnaces, pretty interesting solution, or i'll need to get many coal to get coke from it

1) Bronze
2) Brass
3) Steel

I must say I am partial to that 19th century-style industry, when things started really picking up. The burner mining drills from the start let you skip the bronze age, but it is possible (and hecka slow) to start fromcomplete scratch, total nothing but your hands. For those of us who like an extra challenge, and a short bronze age :D Bronze, iron, and steel are all very useful though.

I don't know about brass, since that needs zinc, and electric furnaces, and a whole bunch of fun. Speaking of electric furnaces, they do have ore recipes, and a whole lot of them, but they are all advanced level, so they have to be researched individually. I'm looking into giving the furnace some simple recipe to start with.

Other than that, jodokus31 had a lot of good comments. Coke is a sound choice, at least for the early game. A lot of this early stuff is of course inspired by real life - check out some early (or late, later in the game) industrial history if you're curious. I would say do that if you're confused, but it would probably just leave you more bewildered :lol: "Where the heck did [X feature] come from!?" :)

waabsheshi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by waabsheshi »

Repofme1 wrote: A lot of this early stuff is of course inspired by real life - check out some early (or late, later in the game) industrial history if you're curious. I would say do that if you're confused, but it would probably just leave you more bewildered :lol: "Where the heck did [X feature] come from!?" :)
I'm a little confused by your "Bessemer Process" tech. Shouldn't that add a recipie to make steel from cast iron and not wrought iron?

waabsheshi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by waabsheshi »

I've been thinking about the motor recipies and have a few suggestions. For realism, I think the roles of brushless and induction motors should be switched since induction motors became widespread fairly early on (early 20th century, only a few decades after brushed motors) and are a very simple design (they can be run quite practically with relays + a large capacitor). Brushless motors on the other hand inherently require semiconductor technology and build on the other two technologies (there are permanent magnet and VFD induction designs) and should be the last type of motor. For the brushed motor recipie, a more realistic one (which could also fix some of the balance issues) is 2 coils + shaft + casting + graphite block (the brushes). For an alternative, perhaps swap one of the coils for another casting and a circuit (permanent magnet design).

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

waabsheshi wrote:
Repofme1 wrote: A lot of this early stuff is of course inspired by real life - check out some early (or late, later in the game) industrial history if you're curious. I would say do that if you're confused, but it would probably just leave you more bewildered :lol: "Where the heck did [X feature] come from!?" :)
I'm a little confused by your "Bessemer Process" tech. Shouldn't that add a recipie to make steel from cast iron and not wrought iron?
Iron is a long story, so sit down and enjoy :)

First:
Pure elemental iron is okay for magnets and some such but not that strong. Carbon is important for that.
Wrought iron has a very low amount of carbon, so it is only somewhat harder and stronger.
Mild steel has slightly more carbon, about 0.1% by mass, and it is substantially tougher than wrought iron.
Hardened steel generally has 0.2 to 0.6 % carbon by mass, and is harder than mild steel but more brittle. The amount of that depends on heat treatment.
Cast iron generally has about 4% carbon by mass - way more than most other kinds of iron. It is typically rather brittle (depending on the grade), but harder, more abrasion-resistant, more resistant to rust and oxidation, and better at dampening vibrations, compared to steel. It can also be cast into shapes.

Almost all the actual iron processes are more complicated than I want to add to the game, especially for this early era that will become obsolete as the player advances. The earliest historical iron smelting made blooms of solid iron, which had to have the impurities hammered out into wrought iron. From my understanding, this was difficult to scale up because the stack of ore and charcoal would crush under its own weight, as the charcoal was not strong enough. This was one major influence to use coke in smelting. But doing that required a blast furnace, which produced liquid iron with all the impurities still in it. This is called pig iron because it was cast into ingots called pigs, and is too brittle to use for anything. Then in the 1700s people figured out how to make cast iron on a larger scale from pig iron, leading to its widespread use for its good properties above.
Steel has been made for a long time as well, older than large-scale cast iron but newer than wrought iron. One early way to make it was called cementation, just heating wrought iron (low carbon) with charcoal (all carbon) for a long time - but not melting! A little bit of the carbon wiggled into the iron to make steel. Two major processes - Bessemer and Thomas - were invented in the 1800s, and they both converted pig iron into steel by oxidizing out the carbon with air. The difference was the flux, Bessemer used clay and Thomas used lime. In the mid-1900s these were replaced by the improved basic oxygen steelmaking process, which used pure oxygen instead of air (avoids problems with nitrogen), and additional lime as basic flux. I think the difference from the Thomas process was that now the lime was added for each batch, whereas Thomas just used lime in the converter shell, which was slowly eaten away with each batch.

Of course, many of my actual recipes have to be modified from real history to be practical in the game.

In Xander Mod, cast iron is made directly from iron plates because a second smelting process would probably be too difficult to handle so early on. The iron plate that is labeled as "wrought" is also supposed to simultaneously represent small cast iron chunks from the early smelting process, so the "iron casting" recipe is just re-shaping it for better use. I find myself forced to use that explanation a lot, where one item represents two subtle variations of the same thing, in order to satisfy my desire for realism without needing impossible complexity. Cast iron is a great example of this for another reason: shapes. It's used for everything from pipes to machine frames to engine blocks. Imagine we had to have items, recipes, production lines, etc. for every single different shape of cast iron we needed. It would be insane! And I think it only works in reality because we have many people and a lot of land.
Steel is then made from iron plates because I didn't want to make it THAT expensive to smelt, by having to go through iron castings first. And iron plates could also represent pig iron, since they are a direct smelting product. The basic oxygen steel process is used in the XM electric furnace, as the most advanced version. Initial iron production also has an upgraded electric furnace version, which uses essentially the same ingredients (iron ore, coke, and lime), but makes a dedicated raw iron item. This is so I can make the original iron plate obsolete, as it doesn't really fit once the full electric era is reached. And of course there is a corresponding upgraded recipe for cast iron, using silicon, which is an important component of modern compositions.

I guess most things in XM are this in-depth, and have a similar backstory.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

waabsheshi wrote:I've been thinking about the motor recipies and have a few suggestions. For realism, I think the roles of brushless and induction motors should be switched since induction motors became widespread fairly early on (early 20th century, only a few decades after brushed motors) and are a very simple design (they can be run quite practically with relays + a large capacitor). Brushless motors on the other hand inherently require semiconductor technology and build on the other two technologies (there are permanent magnet and VFD induction designs) and should be the last type of motor. For the brushed motor recipie, a more realistic one (which could also fix some of the balance issues) is 2 coils + shaft + casting + graphite block (the brushes). For an alternative, perhaps swap one of the coils for another casting and a circuit (permanent magnet design).
Ohmygosh yes! That sounds so much better! Motors was an area that I hadn't analyzed in as much detail, and just used names that I knew and sounded fun. Switching the brushless and induction motors is easy, it's just a locale name, I call them motor-2 and motor-3 internally ;)

I like the idea of two coils (one rotor and one stator), and I removed the circuit ingredient in my latest build. I wasn't thinking about a part as simple as brushes, since I was worried about ingredient count, but they are a much better idea. Although I think I'll make the improved motor-1 (with the steel shaft) more like an induction design with its parts, for reasons of imaginary wear :)

As for the brushless motor, I do have a soft spot for strong magnetic materials, so maybe I can incorporate some of them. On a cursory read, these are not only more recent and in need of semiconductors or permanent magnets like you said, but they also offer better electronic control, which fits well with this sort of advanced part. (EDIT: like a stepper motor for example, important for advanced manufacturing)

This is why multiple upgrades of motors are good though:
"Induction motor improvements flowing from these inventions and innovations were such that a 100-horsepower induction motor currently has the same mounting dimensions as a 7.5-horsepower motor in 1897." (Induction motor - Wikipedia)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
That's like a factor of 13.3 improvement - over an order of magnitude!

waabsheshi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by waabsheshi »

I'm glad I could help, and it's always interesting to hear your stories. Having studied some chemistry, I find your recipies a lot more fun to play (WAY less immersion-breaking) than the vanilla ones. On this note, something else that would be interesting to see is large scale versions of machines, to be used instead of tiled fields of the small ones. Perhaps a 6x6 (or larger) blast furnace that could process 12 iron plates per second (instead of the 0.5/s of the 2x2 one) with 20x the cost (and giving a real incentive to research loaders). This could be done by just giving it grafting speed of 48 or by having it have multiplied duplicates of the existing recipies.

PS. It would be nice if you could put up your mod up as a repository on github. It would make it easy for us to contribute that way.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Attempting to load an old savegame that never had xander before causes a migration error:
xanderbug.png
xanderbug.png (105.17 KiB) Viewed 7439 times
I'm 90% 100% sure that none of the other mods i have adds anything called "steel-charge-a".
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

waabsheshi wrote:I'm glad I could help, and it's always interesting to hear your stories. Having studied some chemistry, I find your recipies a lot more fun to play (WAY less immersion-breaking) than the vanilla ones. On this note, something else that would be interesting to see is large scale versions of machines, to be used instead of tiled fields of the small ones. Perhaps a 6x6 (or larger) blast furnace that could process 12 iron plates per second (instead of the 0.5/s of the 2x2 one) with 20x the cost (and giving a real incentive to research loaders). This could be done by just giving it grafting speed of 48 or by having it have multiplied duplicates of the existing recipies.

PS. It would be nice if you could put up your mod up as a repository on github. It would make it easy for us to contribute that way.
Glad you like listening to me talk :)

I love the idea of larger, faster machines - better to have a thousand of them instead of a million little ones. I am currently using it for a sort of "integrated plant". These are advanced, late-game machines that combine the functions of multiple similar machines, take up more room, and work faster. My original one was the true integrated chemical plant, which can do chemistry recipes as well as fractional distillation for oil and natural gas. I also have an integrated mineral plant; both it and the chemical plant (yes, I know it's confusing with the base name also being chemical plant - I call that a single reactor) are based on the oil refinery sprites. The main limit on these for me is textures, since I don't have any 3D model software, so I have to get creative with the base sprites. Thinking about it, the integrated plants probably do not improve the density much over the small machines, because they are larger, and while they are faster, it is not THAT much faster. As for loaders, I want to drop those from XM since there are quite a few standalone loader mods out there already.

I'm also working on getting this onto GitHub, ironchefpython is actually helping me with that. But it's the first time I've ever done this, so it's a bit slow to learn.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

eradicator wrote:Attempting to load an old savegame that never had xander before causes a migration error:
[img]xanderbug.png[/img]
I'm 90% 100% sure that none of the other mods i have adds anything called "steel-charge-a".
Ah, I see why this happened. In a previous version of XM, I did have something called a steel-charge (steel-charge-a is actually a recipe), just combined ingredients for making steel in one-slot furnaces. So named because the mass of stuff to load into a furnace is called a charge. There were a few others too. But then I changed the furnaces to accept multiple ingredients (somewhat long story), so I got rid of all the charge items. The steel one must have been in a migration file somewhere. :?

I don't know what to do about this, other than start a new world. All the new ores and modified resource chains in XM make starting a new world a good idea. I just hope your old one wasn't corrupted or anything.

Return to “Mods”