[MOD 0.12.x] Landfill (2.1.7)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Landfill (2.1.7)

Post by daniel34 »

Nebbeh wrote:I installed the mod, but when I try to start the game I get:

Error in assignID, entity with name 'huge-explosion' does not exist.

Mod to old or did I do something wrong?
There is no huge-explosion in Landfill. You are using an outdated version of Landfill or another mod is causing this.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Nebbeh
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nebbeh »

Ah right, downloaded a couple mods, jsut did a quick search on forum for that sentence and came up in landfill thread. will try and enable one and one mod then until I find the issue.

Nebbeh
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nebbeh »

Ok, this was totally my bad, was a logistics mod I downloaded that caused the trouble.

Vas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Vas »

I know that this is unlikely, but I'd like to request either an addition to this or an alternate mod that works pretty much the same way this does. I've been searching around for a while now looking for a balanced and realistic mod for what I want to do but can't find one and this one is the closest one to it.

What I am wanting is;
To be able to place stone or concrete floors near water, all the way up to the edge even.
I want to be able to build these floors on water, like a bridge (with possibly the added log/wood bridges?) and build on top of them. But the material cost for making these on top of a water block, should be triple, and 5 times the cost on top of a deep water block.
Lastly, you should not be able to create water anywhere, because of how exploitable it is. But when you deconstruct these special items you placed over water, they revert back into their original state of deep or normal water.

I mean it would be kinda hard to tell the difference between which one is which when you start deconstructing them because you can't hover over a floor or click on a floor to see what it is, and I want it to be the same texture as normal floors so they match when you make your base even if it is different items. But the reason I think this is particularly doable, is because when ConcreteWaterFloor is deconstructed, it places a water block there and destroys any structure above it. And if ConcreteDeepWaterFloor is deconstructed, it places a deep water block there, and destroys any structure above it. So you don't really need to save the original state anywhere, because the state the water was in, is in the floor used to create the bridge on top of it to begin with.

I really don't want toadd this one because of the device you have in it that allows people to create water anywhere with an explosion. I don't want water to be createable anywhere water didn't already exist at unless the water you create is shallow enough that enemies can walk through it still even if at a reduced speed, so that it can't be exploited.

I posted the request here because this mod is very closely related to it, and I'm sure if I made the request elsewhere, someone would redirect me here, or to the other mod I already posted in and was essentially told not to use his mod by the dev of that mod himself because he himself admitted it was overpowered. :P
You can get my mods by clicking here, and use discussions there or PMs here to suggest or report issues.
Want some blueprints made by me? Click here then!

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

Vas wrote:I really don't want toadd this one because of the device you have in it that allows people to create water anywhere with an explosion.
Then just dont ever construct them? Dont use pieces you dont like. Not rocket science =-)
(disclaimer: the explosives actually are rocket science)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

seronis wrote:
Vas wrote:I really don't want toadd this one because of the device you have in it that allows people to create water anywhere with an explosion.
Then just dont ever construct them? Dont use pieces you dont like. Not rocket science =-)
(disclaimer: the explosives actually are rocket science)
People often miss the part where you can't make moats with it as well which makes it just "I need water for crafting" solution and helps none with fighting biters.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Vas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Vas »

Seronis, how do I make everyone else not use parts I don't like in my server? Thats why I don't add it. Obviously if I played single player, it wouldn't matter.
I also have Finite Water installed, so if someone were to make a plot of water using the bomb thing, then they can have a supply of water that is basically endless.

However, the water bomb isn't the only reason I want a separate version, I want concrete bridges and such. And to be able to build concrete wherever I want, near water or not however I don't see any mods that do that.
You can get my mods by clicking here, and use discussions there or PMs here to suggest or report issues.
Want some blueprints made by me? Click here then!

SoulForge
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SoulForge »

What happens when a server with limited ram fills up due to this mod? Dropping the water be gone into an 'ocean sized' water area causes the ram to spike through the roof.

https://content-na.drive.amazonaws.com/ ... ewBox=1200

GameCharmer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GameCharmer »

SoulForge wrote:What happens when a server with limited ram fills up due to this mod? Dropping the water be gone into an 'ocean sized' water area causes the ram to spike through the roof.

https://content-na.drive.amazonaws.com/ ... ewBox=1200
That depends on if your server is windows or linux, and how much ram & swap you have available. Linux tends to have better memory management. With 32GB ram and a 2x128GB performance SSD in RAID0 as dedicated swap, you won't notice a thing. On a windows 7 box with 4GB ram, it'll be slow as hell and potentially crash.

I'd imagine it's looking at surrounding tiles and adding each to an array of "these are the tiles I'm looking for", then using the array count to determine how many landfill items you need. That would require a ton of ram on massive oceans, since they're composed of hundreds of thousands of tiles.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

The code is supposed to short circuit as soon as it hits either 1k or 10k water tiles though. So should never hit that memory usage.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

seronis wrote:The code is supposed to short circuit as soon as it hits either 1k or 10k water tiles though. So should never hit that memory usage.
What? no it's not. It goes until it can't find more water.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

Really? I thought i saw a setting for considering water bodies too big at one of those two thresholds.

-edit-

Yeah just looked through control.lua. Dont see anything similar to what I thought I remembered so it must have been code from a different mod and got confused

SoulForge
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SoulForge »

Rseding91 wrote:
seronis wrote:The code is supposed to short circuit as soon as it hits either 1k or 10k water tiles though. So should never hit that memory usage.
What? no it's not. It goes until it can't find more water.
Yeah it will eventually crash. Good discussion on the topic in IRC.

I'm off to find more things to break!

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

So removing the stone entity with my mod apparently breaks the landfill mod and crashes the game. Any solutions you could implement, without me uploading a modified version of your mod?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Arch666Angel wrote:So removing the stone entity with my mod apparently breaks the landfill mod and crashes the game. Any solutions you could implement, without me uploading a modified version of your mod?
The landfill mod uses stone for almost all of the recipes/interaction in the world. I'd say that the mods just aren't compatible.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

Rseding91 wrote:What? no it's not. It goes until it can't find more water.
It was the Finite Water mod that had the short circuit feature. Would probably be a good idea to have something similar here too.
Arch666Angel wrote:So removing the stone entity with my mod apparently breaks the landfill mod and crashes the game. Any solutions you could implement, without me uploading a modified version of your mod?
Set landfill as a soft dependency to ensure it loads before yours, then in your mod check if the landfill2x2 entity exists and if so you know the mod was actually loaded and you can edit any recipes of landfills that require stone with whatever you choose as the alternate.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

seronis wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:What? no it's not. It goes until it can't find more water.
It was the Finite Water mod that had the short circuit feature. Would probably be a good idea to have something similar here too.
Set landfill as a soft dependency to ensure it loads before yours, then in your mod check if the landfill2x2 entity exists and if so you know the mod was actually loaded and you can edit any recipes of landfills that require stone with whatever you choose as the alternate.
My mod removes the stone entity, not the item. So I don't care about the recipes, they still all work. It's something about the way in which the surface is changed to land by generating the stone entity. I'll cross post you the bug report I got:
Madd_Mugsy wrote:Cool mod! I've been looking for more interesting logistics for ore processing and this has it in spades :)

I found that it causes an error in the landfill mod though. When you try to use the water-be-gone tool, it crashes the game because it can't find the "stone" entity.

This line in Landfill's control.lua is the culprit:

Code: Select all

player.surface.create_entity({name = "stone", position = {x * 32, y * 32}, force = force}).destroy()
However, if I change it to this:

Code: Select all

player.surface.create_entity({name = "angels-ore1", position = {x * 32, y * 32}, force = force}).destroy()
then everything works again. So I'm guessing it has something to do with the way that stone is being prevented from spawning on the map?

The water bomb also references the "stone" entity, so I'd assume it will cause a similar crash.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

In that case once you see his mod is loaded cant you just set the stone entity to have a zero spawn rate instead of deleting it? Bobs mods has ores that dont spawn under some configurations (nickle)

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

seronis wrote:In that case once you see his mod is loaded cant you just set the stone entity to have a zero spawn rate instead of deleting it? Bobs mods has ores that dont spawn under some configurations (nickle)
Bob does disable/enable the entities via settings, so depending on your settings the entity will be created or not. Might be easier to "steal" some code if Rseding91 is ok with that and include it in my mod.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Arch666Angel wrote:
seronis wrote:In that case once you see his mod is loaded cant you just set the stone entity to have a zero spawn rate instead of deleting it? Bobs mods has ores that dont spawn under some configurations (nickle)
Bob does disable/enable the entities via settings, so depending on your settings the entity will be created or not. Might be easier to "steal" some code if Rseding91 is ok with that and include it in my mod.
You can drop autoplace from entity and keep it.
I can see that one landfill use is commented as small "cheat" to update the minimap. Other use actually spawns some stone after explosion so it would be still able to spawn it.

Return to “Mods”