[0.15] Automatic Coupler

Topics and discussion about specific mods
driver
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.15] Automatic Coupler

Post by driver »

I found an "easy" mechanical solution which uses a chest as a memory cell to make a "dynamic" schedule for one pair of locomotives which can serve multiple request-/ and provider stations using the possibilty to turn on certain trainstops only if a request station runs of ressources.
Inserters are only allowed to grap a single object which is circulating on the transport belt and put it in a chest if they receive a signal from the network. A decider combinator is reading the content of the chest and activates certain trainstops. At the end of a schedule the train sends a signal (T) to the second inserter to put the item on the transport belt back again (=reset). Screenshot: https://imgur.com/1Otf8Ny

Fortunately the coupler mod still works in 0.16, but I wonder if it would be possible to get rid of the "no path"-problem somehow. "Ideally" I always should be able to choose if I want to decouple from the front or from the the rear.
Example: an undefined number of empty waggons waiting on a siding. A pair of locomotives with empty waggons go to the siding to couple all empty waggons first (like in Maniacs video on the right side), then to another stop at the end of the siding track, and forward to a stop which decouples all waggons, which could be easy with a positv value of 2, but then you get the "no path"-error. Only decoupling from the rear with a negativ value is possible in this situation, which means that you need to specify the number of empty waggons you want to decouple. This is probably only possible if you use the inventory sensor mod like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyPlHRGH_OE

MattPlaysSimulations
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MattPlaysSimulations »

Anyone got a working copy of this? Ive tried making these changes but it doesnt set the trains back to automatic? after disconnect the wagons do say "no path". Is this me being dumb or the mod broken with that? Thanks

driver
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by driver »

You probably did everything right. If you get the "no path"-error when decoupling, recouple manually to get rid of the message and change the value in the combinator to a negative one (counting from the rear) or positiv (counting from the front). I'm not sure but I believe the mod always worked like this.
I also found a solution to organize my empty waggons described in my last posting by using the output of a rail signal of a siding, which usually get red when it's occupied as an input for a decider combinator to turn on the trainstop for coupling.

driver
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by driver »

A screenshot of a very basic yard in my current sandbox game:
The blue and brown locomotives transport coal and ironore from unwired outposts to the base, decouple and wait until the green locomotives with "dynamic" schedule take the waggons to the unloading station. https://i.imgur.com/3ynkP4j.jpg
The second screenshot shows the unloading station in action. It has two trainstops and all waggons capacity is reduced to only 6 slots (just for fun).
https://i.imgur.com/o1jW0Rc.jpg

driver
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by driver »

MattPlaysSimulations wrote:Anyone got a working copy of this? Ive tried making these changes but it doesnt set the trains back to automatic? after disconnect the wagons do say "no path". Is this me being dumb or the mod broken with that? Thanks
Updated to version 0.16 and no-path error fixed: :)
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Automatic_Coupler_016

driver
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by driver »

I made a small savegame which features one pair of locomotives with a "smart, flexible" schedule and a simple shunting process for two or four empty wagons depending on the flexible schedule.
My knowledge of the circuit network is still incomplete ;-), but I believe this approach is quite playable.
If someone want to play with the map, which looks interesting, here' the seed:

semi island

>>>eNpjYBBgMGZgYGBk5WFJzk/MYWFi5krOLyhILdLNL0plZmLmTC4q
TUnVzc/MYWFmZktJLU4tKmFmZmZJyQTTXKl5qbmVukmJxalMTMys6UW
JxcVAYY7Movw8qAksxYl5KUAx1uKS/LxUoCmsJUWpqcWMjMzcpUWJeZ
mluVCFDIynlRadaWiRYwDh//UMBv//gzCQdQHoRBAGAiYGRqAADLAm5
2SmpTEwKDiCMCMjY7XIOveHVVPsGSHyeg5QxgeoSMRuqMiDVigjYjWU
0XEYynCYD2PUwxj9DozGYPDZHsGA2FUCNBlqCYcDggGRbAFJMjL2vt2
64PuxC3aMf1Z+vOSblGDPmCkb6itQ+t4OKMkOCn8mODFrJgjshPmAAW
bmA3uo1E17xrNnQOCNPSMrSIcIiHCwABIHvIGhKMAHZC3oARIKMgwwp
9nBjBFxYEwDg28wnzyGMS7bo/tDxYHRBmS4HIg4AU4nDHAjgS5jhDIj
HSASkghZoFYjBmTrUxCeOwmz8TCS1WhuUIG5wcQBixfQRFSQAp4LZE8
KnHjBDHcEMAQvsMN4wLhlZkCAD/Z5/BN9AESGkpw=<<<
semi island quick start.zip
(6.44 MiB) Downloaded 117 times
demo.jpg
demo.jpg (431.87 KiB) Viewed 3106 times

driver
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by driver »

I made a smaller blueprint for automated train composition.
It's based on the idea that a mixed smelter supplies a base with a fluctuating demand for iron/copper or steel.
Instead of single waggons it uses always pairs of waggons, which solves problems with trainstops not always aligning perfectly.
It requires the mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Automatic_Coupling_System , which is currently updated to version 0.18
I suggest you import it in the mapeditor, which has instant blueprinting and you can speed up time at start. The two pairs of locomotives need to be put in automatic mode.
Attachments
coupling.jpg
coupling.jpg (143.36 KiB) Viewed 2728 times

driver
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by driver »

I'm aware that only a small amount of players is using this (mod-)feature, but I wonder if it would be possible to improve the trainstop to work better for coupling.
If you take a look at the position of signals, they should be placed correctly/symmetrially between or before waggons which is prevented by the trainstop placement.
Normally you would expect that a pair of locomotives, that try to couple empty waggons would be blocked because it's not possible to place the blocksignals correctly due to the trainstop and it's quite surprising that the mod works reliable in most cases, but there are always a few situations, especially if you work with (rotated) blueprints where the switching engines are blocked as you would expect and it's difficult to get them working again.

I believe there was also a major change in pathfinding in 0.18.9, which may break the blueprint I posted.

Return to “Mods”