[MOD 1.1] Loader Redux

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Loader Redux 1.1.1

Post by Philip017 »

It was suggested on the portal to use the previous loader tech as a prerequisite for the next one to help with use of automated research mod, also i think it is a good idea to have the prerequisite as you can't make the next one with out the previous one anyway.

here is a suggested change, tested for functionality.

Code: Select all

data:extend({
	{
    type = "technology",
    name = "loader",
    icon = "__LoaderRedux__/graphics/tech/yellow-loader-tech.png",
    icon_size = 128,
    effects =
    {
      {
        type = "unlock-recipe",
        recipe = "loader"
      },
	 },
    prerequisites = {"logistics"},
    unit =
    {
      count = 150,
      ingredients =
      {
        {"science-pack-1", 1},
        {"science-pack-2", 1}
      },
      time = 15
    },
    order = "a-f-a",
	},
	{
    type = "technology",
    name = "fast-loader",
    icon = "__LoaderRedux__/graphics/tech/red-loader-tech.png",
    icon_size = 128,
    effects =
    {
      {
        type = "unlock-recipe",
        recipe = "fast-loader"
      },
	 },
    prerequisites = {"logistics-2","loader"},
    unit =
    {
      count = 300,
      ingredients =
      {
        {"science-pack-1", 1},
        {"science-pack-2", 1}
      },
      time = 15
    },
    order = "a-f-b",
	},
	{
    type = "technology",
    name = "express-loader",
    icon = "__LoaderRedux__/graphics/tech/blue-loader-tech.png",
    icon_size = 128,
    effects =
    {
      {
        type = "unlock-recipe",
        recipe = "express-loader"
      },
	 },
    prerequisites = {"logistics-3","fast-loader"},
    unit =
    {
      count = 400,
      ingredients =
      {
        {"science-pack-1", 1},
        {"science-pack-2", 1},
        {"science-pack-3", 1},
        {"production-science-pack", 1}
      },
      time = 15
    },
    order = "a-f-c",
	},
})

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Making loaders depend only on the previous version would allow rush to express loaders without having express belts.

Making loader techs depend on both previous tech and Logistics would result in a messy tech tree.

Therefore loader techs behave like any tech in base Factorio and only depend on the respective belt tech with dependency for previous loaders implied in their recipe.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33612#p211682
Rseding91 wrote:Finishing a technology has never guaranteed you can build/use everything on the unlock path it has to offer and I don't see this as worth spending any time on as it doesn't effect gameplay at all.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=45447#p261600
Rseding91 wrote:These "discrepancies" are by design. If every technology recipe unlock had the prerequisite recipe-technology the technology graph would be an unreadable web :)

Saltamontes
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Saltamontes »

Just downloaded the mod and this makes my day :D

I also have a request, can you make them use power? (something like yellow:100kw red:200kw blue:400kw)
It sorta feels weird they don't use any. (if possible, you could make it a setting in the mod options)

Whether you do or don't thank you for this mod!

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Saltamontes wrote:I also have a request, can you make them use power? (something like yellow:100kw red:200kw blue:400kw)
It sorta feels weird they don't use any. (if possible, you could make it a setting in the mod options)
Neither belts nor splitters use power why should loaders do so?

Nightinggale
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nightinggale »

Adding power requirements adds severe restrictions. You can end up with a large storage chest from a mod, meaning you can't power from that side. If the side is too wide you can't power from that side either. This leaves the side with the belts, which has limitations as well. The answer to that is to use more advanced power poles, but I tend to start using loaders before I have all sorts of power line research. In other words adding something as simple as power requirements removes some functionality.

If you wonder why you would need more than one or two loaders on a chest, the answer is filtered output. I find it useful to let all trains unload into the same chest, which then has filtered outputs to get coal, iron, etc to different places of storage, which in turn feeds whatever needs those. It reduces the complexity of unloading stations and allows mixed freight trains. It does however require a lot of loaders next to each other, particularly if you need more than one belt for each type. In fact I have gone as high as 4 belts from each unloading train. I don't how how to make room for power poles in a setup like that.

comwarrior
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by comwarrior »

The red and blue furnaces are not unlocking with research.
I believe you are missing two table.insert's at the top of furnaces.lua ;)

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

comwarrior wrote:The red and blue furnaces are not unlocking with research.
Now it would be quite hilarious if this loader mod unlocked some furnace. :lol:
I can ensure you loaders are unlocked fine by their respective technology.

comwarrior
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by comwarrior »

Optera wrote:
comwarrior wrote:The red and blue furnaces are not unlocking with research.
Now it would be quite hilarious if this loader mod unlocked some furnace. :lol:
I can ensure you loaders are unlocked fine by their respective technology.
I have red loaders unlocked but not furnaces... I've looked all over the research techs still to be unlocked and i can not see red nor blue furnaces...
So what tech unlocks them?

Saltamontes
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Saltamontes »

Optera wrote:Neither belts nor splitters use power why should loaders do so?
Well two reasons:
1 - Inserters do use power, and these guys take their place. As it is now you can load and unload chests away from any power source. Which is normally impossible.
2 - The loaders can interact with chests, trains or assemblers. Splitters or belts can not do this.

And for me personally it feels more balanced if they would use power. You would have the benefit of speed at the cost of power drain, so it would be a trade off.
I do understand that other people will not like this and that is why I think it would be nice as an option in the mod's settings.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Energy is so cheap it won't be even noticeable if loaders use a few kW.

My goal is to have mods run with best performance possible, so I'm not going to introduce more entities than absolutely necessary for my mods to work.
If you really want, you could always extend this mod with your own mod placing a hidden energy interface set to a drain of a few kW for every loader.

comwarrior
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by comwarrior »

Cancel bug report... I just realised i have loader-furnaces installed not loader-redux... my bad... :oops:

realm174
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Loader Redux 1.1.2

Post by realm174 »

Any chance we'll see the possibility of using them like a filter inserter? (i.e. be able to use them along with LTN, and select the item being extracted by wiring it?)

Nightinggale
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Loader Redux 0.2.8

Post by Nightinggale »

realm174 wrote:Any chance we'll see the possibility of using them like a filter inserter? (i.e. be able to use them along with LTN, and select the item being extracted by wiring it?)
I already asked that very question on the previous page in this thread.
Optera wrote:
Nightinggale wrote:
Optera wrote:Even burner inserter can be circuit controlled now, something loaders can't. I think that's enough drawback for loaders.
I came here to ask if it would be possible to set filters based on circuit connections. It seems a bit odd to me that it's missing considering that more or less everything else can be controlled with circuit signals, particularly if you add other mods (crafting combinators, multiple train control mods etc).

I'm not sure loaders needs a drawback as such. It's a more advanced technology, though I agree they might be a bit too cheap to build, particularly high tiers.
Loaders don't have a circuit connection, everything would have to be added in lua through fake entity and constant polling.
Use 20+ loader connected to cargo-wagons to see what such constant polling in lua does to performance and why I'm not going to implement any more such features.

realm174
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Loader Redux 0.2.8

Post by realm174 »

Nightinggale wrote:
realm174 wrote:Any chance we'll see the possibility of using them like a filter inserter? (i.e. be able to use them along with LTN, and select the item being extracted by wiring it?)
I already asked that very question on the previous page in this thread.
Yikes, I totally missed that. Thanks for pointing it out!!

nOObe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nOObe »

would you consider adding a higher tier tech that adds more sorting boxes? perhaps an option to enable/disable?
EDIT:
Additional thought...
Can you describer the behavior expected when multiple items are selected in the filter and the loader is connected to a chest? how many of a type will it do before switching to the next type? or does it do all of the first then all of the second and proceed down the list?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

nOObe wrote:would you consider adding a higher tier tech that adds more sorting boxes? perhaps an option to enable/disable?
Loaders are taken as they are from the base game.
Adding support for cargo wagons was the only scripted addition I will ever make to base game loader functionality.
nOObe wrote: Additional thought...
Can you describer the behavior expected when multiple items are selected in the filter and the loader is connected to a chest? how many of a type will it do before switching to the next type? or does it do all of the first then all of the second and proceed down the list?
I guess it picks whatever is earlier in the item list, just like filter inserters with multiple filters.

draeath
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by draeath »

I'd like to suggest the description be filled out, more. I was just linked to this mod, and as I've no familiar with whatever "add-loader" did, I also have no idea what this mod does.

Ironhair
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Loader Redux 1.2.0

Post by Ironhair »

Came here through factorioprints.
Quick question, if you don't mind... what's the advantage of using loader redux?

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Awesome GFX, Bobs support and Cargo Wagon support, and Loader snapping That makes intelligent decisions on which way the loader should face

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

Please add short loader 1x1
and graphicks, variant in mod
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Tyarns/UltimateBelts

Return to “Mods”