[0.11.6]Filtered Splitters - Huge stability boost!

Topics and discussion about specific mods
dopefish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.6]Filtered Splitters - Huge stability boost!

Post by dopefish »

Old version crashed every time I tried to craft one. Now it seems to work, going to do some further testing. Looks like this combined with Slipstream Chests could create a really efficient sorting system.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Crashed on crafting? That's odd. I got a few crash on placements, but never on crafting.
What other mods were you using?
Also, yes. Just waiting for the next update of SSC. :D
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

BLuehasia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BLuehasia »

really awesome mod. but it is very expensive to build

can there be tiered versions one for each stage of track speed instead of only the fastest

my thoughts on possible recipe idea
tier one
2 smart inserter, one tier one spliter = 2 tier one filter splitters

tier 2
2 tier 1 filter splitter and 1 tier 2 spliter = 2 tier two filter splitters

tier 3
2 tier 2 filter spliters and 1 tier 3 spliter = 2 tier 3 filter splitters

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

With how powerful this is, I think the cost is justified, since each splitter will replace 6 or more smart inserters. (since that's the minimum number you'd need to fully filter out one kind of item from a fully compacted yellow belt.)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

BLuehasia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BLuehasia »

so this is balanced? we get smart inserters very early on why not just have a low tier filter spliter to.

by time one gets this filter splitter in game the base is already fully set up with tons of smart inserotrs. i rather leave the smart insertors than redesign existing tracks and inserter placements to use the filter spliter

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Balancing is all a matter of scope. Vanilla vs Mods. Early vs Late. Standard playthrough or Post-Rocket Defense.
And deciding what speed belt to use for the base is a matter of balancing access with utility.
There's not much use in the late game for this if you have to deal with yellow belt speeds to sort without inserters.

In the end, it was the programmer's choice, just as it's your choice to use or not use this.
Nothing is stopping you from adjusting the mod to suit your own taste either.

Devildog
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Devildog »

Would this work in 11.8?
Check Out Factorio Mod Madness 2.0 Here : http://bit.ly/1afTDl0
Mod Madness ModPack

tux_mark_5
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tux_mark_5 »

We really need something like this in the main game. Because right now this is implemented in such a way, that the mod performs various checks every tick. While this may not seem much, but using this excessively in combination with other mods would impede the overall performance.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.11.6]Filtered Splitters - Huge stability boost!

Post by StanFear »

Hi !
thanks for this mod, I've maily been using it to feed my loading train stops, but I can see a whole lot of uses for it !

I have two things to say though :
  • your filtering spliters are not able to handle construction bots, it seems they do not set an id to the filtering splitter => they don't work
  • belts do not get attached to the outputs of the splitters, if a splitter is put on a turn, the turn will stay and it will actually create an eror in some cases (I'm not at home so I cannot make a screen of what I mean, sorry about that)

but still, Great mod !
Last edited by StanFear on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punker180
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Punker180 »

Will this work on 11.19? if not i cant wait to see an update one of my favorite mods. wouldnt mind seeing a filtered splitter where u could also choose what side of the belt it will go on as well ;P

Berserker55
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Berserker55 »

Keep getting multiplayer desyncs while the splitter is acting.

Additionally, you have some game.player.print's not commented out, if they trigger in multiplayer, they crash the game with a script error because "Map doesn't contain 1 player, this function can't be used".

Berserker55
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Berserker55 »

False alert, it was equalizer chests that we used in conjunction with the splitters. Since removing EC, we've played over 20 hours with splitters and it works fine.

However, when placing splitters onto existing items, one can get "control.lua:105: LuaEntity API call when LuaEntity was invalid."
It's either that, or it happens when you put items onto it via inserter.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Berserker55 wrote:False alert, it was equalizer chests that we used in conjunction with the splitters. Since removing EC, we've played over 20 hours with splitters and it works fine.

However, when placing splitters onto existing items, one can get "control.lua:105: LuaEntity API call when LuaEntity was invalid."
Both seem like easy things to avoid since the filtering removes a lot of the need for the tricky layouts that have been invented.
Though, if you're doing it for space reasons, then you should probably avoid filtering in almost all cases, since it tends to increase the number of belt lines, and never decreases it.

In anycase, good to know that it wasn't this causing the desyncs.

Berserker55
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Berserker55 »

n9103 wrote:
Berserker55 wrote:False alert, it was equalizer chests that we used in conjunction with the splitters. Since removing EC, we've played over 20 hours with splitters and it works fine.

Both seem like easy things to avoid since the filtering removes a lot of the need for the tricky layouts that have been invented.
Though, if you're doing it for space reasons, then you should probably avoid filtering in almost all cases, since it tends to increase the number of belt lines, and never decreases it.

In anycase, good to know that it wasn't this causing the desyncs.
We had a setup of Train -> Equalizer Chest -> Belts -> Filtered Splitter -> Factory
Once that was set up, we encountered very frequent desyncs, disabling the item flow stopped the desyncs, so we assumed it was the splitters.
After more tinkering, it turned out to be the equalizer chests. So now we have large dytech chests instead and it does the job well enough.

The crashes however seem to be related with items being on not yet initialized/invalid filtered splitters. And we get that every now and again when using the filtered splitters around "running parts". The crash can be avoided by shutting down the relevant part of the factory and clearing all items on the ground. But that's a bit annoying, so I hope that gets fixed.

Talguy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Talguy »

Bum for 0.12 :D If you have time, please update this!

WildWolf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WildWolf »

So i have figured how to get this mod to be somewhat ported over to 0.12 and i only had to change these things

control.lua:
line number 4: remote.addinterface("sspl", to remote.add_interface("sspl",
line number 14: game.oninit(function() OnInit() end) to game.on_init(function() OnInit() end)
line number 15: game.onload(function() OnLoad() end) to game.on_load(function() OnLoad() end)
line number 16: game.onevent(defines.events.ontick, function(event) OnTick(event) end) to game.on_event(defines.events.on_tick, function(event) OnTick(event) end)
line number 17: game.onevent(defines.events.onbuiltentity, function(event) OnBuiltEntity(event) end) to game.on_event(defines.events.on_built_entity, function(event) OnBuiltEntity(event) end)
line number 18: game.onevent(defines.events.onentitydied, function(event) OnEntityDied(event) end) to game.on_event(defines.events.on_entity_died, function(event) OnEntityDied(event) end)
line number 19: game.onevent(defines.events.onpreplayermineditem, function(event) OnPrePlayerMinedItem(event) end) to game.on_event(defines.events.on_preplayer_mined_item, function(event) OnPrePlayerMinedItem(event) end)
line number 138: local _Entity = _Event.createdentity to local _Entity = _Event.created_entity
line number 328: local itemName = splitter.getfilter(i) to local itemName = splitter.get_filter(i)
line number 348: if splitter.equals(_Entity) then to if splitter == _Entity then
all glob. to global.
and all findentetiesflitered to get_surface(1).find_entities_filtered

I dont know if any thing else is broken but that was all it took to make it runnable in factorio 0.12

I hope this helped for those people who wanted a port to 0.12 for this mod

Note: i tink im gona leave a link for the download for the files and when it has bean implemented remove it. As of how thay have changed how the belts work the item isent clasified as an "item-on-ground"
Brought to you by a crappy pc...

Whoami
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Whoami »

WildWolf wrote:So i have figured how to get this mod to be somewhat ported over to 0.12 and i only had to change these things

control.lua:
line number 4: remote.addinterface("sspl", to remote.add_interface("sspl",
line number 14: game.oninit(function() OnInit() end) to game.on_init(function() OnInit() end)
line number 15: game.onload(function() OnLoad() end) to game.on_load(function() OnLoad() end)
line number 16: game.onevent(defines.events.ontick, function(event) OnTick(event) end) to game.on_event(defines.events.on_tick, function(event) OnTick(event) end)
line number 17: game.onevent(defines.events.onbuiltentity, function(event) OnBuiltEntity(event) end) to game.on_event(defines.events.on_built_entity, function(event) OnBuiltEntity(event) end)
line number 18: game.onevent(defines.events.onentitydied, function(event) OnEntityDied(event) end) to game.on_event(defines.events.on_entity_died, function(event) OnEntityDied(event) end)
line number 19: game.onevent(defines.events.onpreplayermineditem, function(event) OnPrePlayerMinedItem(event) end) to game.on_event(defines.events.on_preplayer_mined_item, function(event) OnPrePlayerMinedItem(event) end)
line number 138: local _Entity = _Event.createdentity to local _Entity = _Event.created_entity
line number 328: local itemName = splitter.getfilter(i) to local itemName = splitter.get_filter(i)
line number 348: if splitter.equals(_Entity) then to if splitter == _Entity then
all glob. to global.
and all findentetiesflitered to get_surface(1).find_entities_filtered

I dont know if any thing else is broken but that was all it took to make it runnable in factorio 0.12

I hope this helped for those people who wanted a port to 0.12 for this mod

Note: i tink im gona leave a link for the download for the files and when it has bean implemented remove it. As of how thay have changed how the belts work the item isent clasified as an "item-on-ground"
Thank you for doing this i do belive i have done all the changes you said to but now the spliters don't work the items just go up to it and stop would you happen to have any idea what i did wrong really like this mod and want to use it.

maddy2k
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by maddy2k »

my job for 0.12.5

vaderciya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vaderciya »

This is literally a godsend, I can't say how many times I wish this existed in the vanilla game! <3

SkyFyre42
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SkyFyre42 »

Does this support bob's mods?
If not, anyone know an easy way or could the mod owner add a recipe for if we are using bob's?
Thanks! :D

Return to “Mods”