Topics and discussion about specific mods
OsmeOxys
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[MOD 0.15] Osmosis Grouping

Post by OsmeOxys »

Osmosis Grouping

Download: Osmosis 0.1.1 (0.15.x)

Customizable (and pre-set) grouping. 5-dim, Yuoki, Bob's, and dozens more already included.

Reorganizes the item/recipe menu to be less cluttered and more sane. Intended to be easily customized as possible with simple table. The read-me to create a custom table is provided in the zip. Ill rewrite it to clarify anything if needed.

Large mods (excluding angels for the moment) already have tables included, much of which is done group wide. So most items not specifically included should still get slotted in somewhere.
The mod should still organize the vast majority of items even without a custom table. If you would like to see any additional items included, simply send me your log and the mod name and Ill update the mod when possible.

First thing on the to-do is adding Angel's as a default list when I have a bit of time
Known to be properly sorted
Last edited by OsmeOxys on Sun May 14, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Osmosis Sorting

Post by septemberWaves »

How easy is the customization? Is it doable in-game (maybe with some sort of drag-and-drop function and customizable icons for the subsets) or does it require editing files?

OsmeOxys
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Osmosis Sorting

Post by OsmeOxys »

File editing

Basically, its a spreadsheet/csv. Repeated list of "from, to, order, type". Youre able to change a single item or entire subgroup at a time for a some convenience.

Making a new group is just tossing in "name, order, icon(optionally)", and the script will handle creating the group and 9 subgroups

The actual hassle is getting the name of items. Not usually difficult, just kind of gross. I tried creating a nicer output to list items, but I couldnt get stdlib or my own script to work, so its some control-f in the log file. I found most item/recipe names to be self-explainatory thankfully

I... suppose a drag-and-drop might be possible? C guy, so Im new to lua, let alone factorio. Might be a nice project later on if I get time though.
example
Last edited by OsmeOxys on Sun May 14, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Osmosis Grouping

Post by septemberWaves »

Well, file editing sounds like it could be a pain. Nevertheless I think the idea of this mod is great; I've often found myself wanting some more sensible inventory organization with modded games (Angel's mods are fine for it at least as far as I am concerned, but Bob's mods less so).

I'm also getting into modding actually. If I find a nice way to implement a drag-and-drop system I'll let you know if you want. But I don't know whether I'll use such a feature myself in early development (and I'm making something far more complicated than an inventory management system).

Perhaps an alternative to a drag-and-drop system which would still allow in-game organization of inventory tabs could be a new window that functions sort of like an inventory wherein you can move items between slots, but instead of using actual items it would use false images of the items sort of like circuit network signals. On one side would be all available items (perhaps sorted by mod) and the other side be for inventory tabs (which could then be saved and used for the actual crafting inventory).
Just a suggestion of course, and I don't know how doable it would be to implement, but I think people tend to prefer it when mods don't require manual editing of files hence why I think it's a good idea.

OsmeOxys
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by OsmeOxys »

Yeah I started to lose my mind with yuoki, bob, 5dim, and various smaller mods all trying to fight over the screen. Only saw the top row of items.

No doubt file editing is a hassle, though it shouldnt be too bad with the major mods sorted out (Says the mod creator, who already knows how to set it up...). You certainly dont need to make your own custom file though. Since a lot of the changes are group wide, most other mod items should just slot in with a some exceptions, which will all appear in the game's log. Im definitely interested about looking into drag-and-drop though for super easy custom tables though, Ill probably give it a shot at some point. Think(tm) I might have a clue how to do half of that at least.

smeagol001
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by smeagol001 »

hey there is there a chance you could include all the angels mods too?

SnyDry
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SnyDry »

would be nice .... missing

ElderAxe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ElderAxe »

smeagol001 wrote:hey there is there a chance you could include all the angels mods too?
i'd love to see angel's mods too. Since it changes almost all bobs materials, your grouping doesn't work for those items.

Other suggestions;
- i looked for ground pumps on fluid section. Since they are related to fluid. But they are in "mining" section.
- fluid icon can be a single drop icon. Currently it looks like ore crusher icon.

ElderAxe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ElderAxe »

Another Suggestion:
If you can put the code to github, mod developers can add support for their mods. Also i would help fixing some things
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (178.56 KiB) Viewed 4300 times

smeagol001
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by smeagol001 »

if you use yuokis there is a mess too like several youkis categories

Return to “Mods”